New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Custom Robo (Redesign Your Robo, We Know What We're Doing)

On Jotun:
    If I had to guess, big statue lady is either Frigg or Freya, though honestly I've heard some people say that Frigg is just a duplication of Freya and thus they are one and the same.

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-17 at 08:26 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #422
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Custom Robo (Redesign Your Robo, We Know What We're Doing)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    On Jotun:
    If I had to guess, big statue lady is either Frigg or Freya, though honestly I've heard some people say that Frigg is just a duplication of Freya and thus they are one and the same.

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Thora does say it's Frigg after we get the healing power, and given the Barrow Mound had the rune of growth and childbirth, and the jotun we fight is of that domain, same as Frigg. So the lady statue is definitely Frigg.

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-17 at 08:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Thora does say it's Frigg after we get the healing power, and given the Barrow Mound had the rune of growth and childbirth, and the jotun we fight is of that domain, same as Frigg. So the lady statue is definitely Frigg.

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-17 at 08:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, neat. Not really my style of game, but it's always cool to delve into various mythologies, and explore them.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

5. - Top - End - #425

Late video, but "the day it's supposed to be posted" is on time as far as I'm concerned. As long as I'm sick anyway...

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [36] Two Timed at the Cafe

Video Length: 31:42

In this episode we step into Bogey's Cafe for a light and breezy 2v2. I'm still not a big fan of this format, but the rewards for this have been quite good! Sniper Rifle, the Spreader gun, and of course the behemoth that is Metal Ox. Some good rewards and some decent fights.

Also some fairly good writing. It's not as good as it once was, but it works. And really, seeing more of Walt's crazy toupees is worth it.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

...yeah, the writing here's decently decent. Even if, ouch, Protagonist and his father. Ouch.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Bugbear in the Playground

I appreciate that you smashed Evil before Bogey in that last fight. Pity the game doesn't comment on him falling first...

Also, Gyro? I know you're a video game protagonist in a game that was probably written before it really became a big concern, but you really ought to sit down and talk to a cyber security advisor if you're going to keep sticking random data chips you find lying around the place in that custom robo cube that was provided to you by a government research lab.

Then again, your government and most of the police department seem to be incompetent and possibly corrupt, so they might not know any better either... and the criminals we've seen don't seem to be much better.

8. - Top - End - #428

Missed Monday for sick reasons so here's Custom Robo, sliding in on Friday!

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [37] Chain-gun Park

Video Length: 23:39

In this episode we get the... baffling tournament at the local park, run by Harry. In this one it is ONLY girl robos, and ONLY chain-guns. You can pick what you want of course but otherwise... yeah. This is honestly one of the more baffling things, especially since writing wise it's VERY clear this is all just an excuse by Harry to hit on girls. It's like they funneled all of Harry's dumb traits into a singular tournament... which at least means we won't have to deal with it in the future question mark?

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

That sure... it sure was a thing. Sigh, Harry, Harry, Harry. Shaking my head. Why did you do this to this poor place?

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, now. Buggy can be a girl robo if she wants to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #431

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Hey, now. Buggy can be a girl robo if she wants to be.
    You are correct, that was crass of me.

12. - Top - End - #432

Oh man time for more Custom Robo!

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [38] House Party

Video Length: 21:03

In this episode, we take on the last of the current batch of tournaments- the Mira's Battle Party tournament! In which we are forced to interact with people we do not know or like, and everyone is lowkey keeping their distance. So, you know, the typical house party. With this out of the way, we manage to hear from all the way across town that Lucy, our landlady, wants us to come on home... so we'll be going home next time. Hooray! WE must be almost done, right?

... right?

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    In which we are forced to interact with people we do not know or like
    Poor Marcia. She'll be heartbroken.

More seriously… I do appreciate them sticking to the bit with giving random side characters names that you learn now, but, yeesh, they, uh, they sure chose some things to home in on. I know that the "only guys are cops" is probably partially a jab at all the uniform models... but you have a feminine model right here. And... yeah. Definitely stereotyping.

14. - Top - End - #434

A return to alien shooty boys!

Zodi Plays: Halo 2 [4] Cloak and Dagger

Video Length: 30:51

In this episode, we finally play as the Arbiter, one of the cool Elite aliens part of the Covenant. Tortured and turned into their greatest hero, he goes on suicide missions for glory. We had some technical difficulties with this and the next episode, in so far as "I accidently had the output set so that only half of the screen is visible" and the game was... decidedly glitchy. A shame, I'd have liked to show those off.

Anyway, to elaborate a bit on a point I brought up here; the reason why it feels like the stealth doesn't work is because you can't like, get to the end of the level in stealth mode. You do HAVE to kill the enemies in your way in every room, stealth is just a matter of when you start blasting. That, accompanied with the fact that there really aren't any stealth mechanics, makes it not really feel like a genuine Stealth Segment, in my opinion.

Also as for the story stuff- the terminal this episode reveals that of all things, Guilty Spark survived. He accidentally radicalized this aerotrooper into becoming a heretic. Oops! I do kinda feel bad getting spoiled by the game itself on what the oracle is, but it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things I think.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

If his armour was good, then you wouldn't have as much of a game how would the Council have their corpse, given how powerful and dangerous he's already been stated to be? This is a suicide mission, after all.

But, yes. Sword is really wicked cool. It is genuinely one of my favorite weapon aesthetics in all of sci-fi. Less practical than a lightsaber, but, in my opinion, so much cooler.

The ship you were curious about in the Heretic hanger was the Seraph - the Covenant's main space attack fighter.

The Covenant Carbine is cool. It shoots capsules of radiation, rather than the plasma most other Covenant weapons do.

I still do think it is kinda sucky that if you find the cool secret stuff, you automatically get spoiled on the future stuff in the series. What I'd love is if finding the terminal unlocked something in the menu instead, so you could go back and look at it at your leisure. Rather than have to completely ignore it. Especially because you might not know what they do. Expanded lore is cool, but it sucks some of the joy out of organic discovery, I feel, which is a shame.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

On Halo 2 Episode 4:
    Zodi, there is something call a radar, and uuuh....levels of rooms.....you kept being on the second level and not checking radar

oh so THATs how that guy knew the great Journey was all a lie, that ties stuff in. I like that. It was unclear before how or why the guy was rebelling.

but yeah the energy sword is cool, even if has that critical flaw of that gap in the middle that could theoretically swing through and get your hand with, sure it'd be a bit of a "thread the needle" scenario, but crazier things have happened.

the thing about Guilty Spark accidentally doing this is that it proves that Guilty Spark has zero social skills. you'd think a robot built by an advanced alien civilization would have the ability to discern that a species probably doesn't want to wiped out for the sake of killing space fungus. if Guilty Spark had simply inquired about what the species wanted to do with it and figured that it didn't matter what they thought it did just as so long as the firing was done, the robot would be well on its way to speaking with Prophets themselves so as to coordinate galactic extinction the fulfillment of the Great Journey.

instead we get this, though its kind of at odds with his Halo 1 portrayal now that I think about it, because he makes at least some attempt to hide the fact that this is what its going to do, but here he just blurts it out to the first alien he sees and like any person obsessed with facts says anyone who told the lie that would get them to fire it for him are madmen.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

the thing about Guilty Spark accidentally doing this is that it proves that Guilty Spark has zero social skills. you'd think a robot built by an advanced alien civilization would have the ability to discern that a species probably doesn't want to wiped out for the sake of killing space fungus. if Guilty Spark had simply inquired about what the species wanted to do with it and figured that it didn't matter what they thought it did just as so long as the firing was done, the robot would be well on its way to speaking with Prophets themselves so as to coordinate galactic extinction the fulfillment of the Great Journey.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, the Monitors were all fairly single-task beings. Their job was to maintain the installations, and then fire them if there was threat of Flood. Very little information was given that did not pertain to this task. They were deliberately designed this way, so that there would be no hesitation, and limited information would be able to be granted if they were subverted by the Flood.

instead we get this, though its kind of at odds with his Halo 1 portrayal now that I think about it, because he makes at least some attempt to hide the fact that this is what its going to do, but here he just blurts it out to the first alien he sees and like any person obsessed with facts says anyone who told the lie that would get them to fire it for him are madmen.
    Spoiler
    Show
    While it may seem at odds, it's actually fairly consistent. Without his Installation, he's much more rational, likely no longer constrained by protocol. It's only when he has the chance to get it back that he becomes rigid again.

18. - Top - End - #438

Oops almost forgot to post this due to work and stuff.

Zodi Plays: Halo 2 [5] The Heretic

Video Length: 34:09

In this video, we take on the Oracle stage, wherein we learn the unfortunate, inevitable truth; mushrooms.

We also deal with some heresy, which I imagine must have confused some of the other space-shootyman fans out there when this came out. Like it's never occurred to me until just this moment but imagine how Warhammer 40k fans felt watching an ALIEN scream "heresy!". Like **** that's actually really funny to me.

I feel like I had more to say but this has completely taken up all my brain space. Regardless, hope you enjoy! We'll see you all next time, and by next time I mean Friday when I'll get another Custom Robo out. I've been meaning to get more consistent on these again but oops between sick, work, writing my next novel and having an actual social life for the first time in my existence, it's kinda slipping... not helped by the fact that let's be honest Custom Robo's end game is tedious.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, if squad talking in elevators makes them Good, then I also venture forth Portal 2.
    (Portal 1 had all conversation end before the elevator went, so, unfortunately doesn't count...)

Energy weapons are more effective against shields, non-energy more effective against physical. In addition, some enemies have additional resistances against certain classes of weapons (such as small arms), which, uh... there's a reason Halo 2 enemies are known to be notoriously bullet sponge-y in places.

The sentinel beam is really fun, especially against Flood (which makes sense). I will give you a note that there are actually 2 classes of sentinel beam in the game, which took me ages to note because there's really no delineation. If a Sentinel Beam is not your active weapon, and you can pick up a new one, it's the second type. Careful if one is your active, as switching might be getting you the other type with less ammo, instead of being guaranteed to just be the same gun with more ammo.

Yeah, there are definitely inferences needed when it comes to knowing where this is. At least the nice thing is that with consistency of design, it is fairly obvious that this is Forerunner.

Indeed. Most things have two legs. Even the telepathic worm colonies. When they could have made that armour look like anything.

"Not leaving any of that in", she says at 23:20, having left all of the last few seconds in.

Yeah, this level wasn't one of my favorites, even having no technical difficulties. I liked it best for the Arbiter's characterization, and the look into the Covenant hierarchy.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

On Halo 2, Episode 5:
    The Heretic being a villain is debatable. he is technically rebelling against both an omnicidal robot and a bunch of jerks who lied to his people with a religion that will make them want to cause that omnicide. the only reason why fighting him is to silence him- if anything the Arbiter is still a villain protagonist at this point.

or maybe your talking about the guy your fighting WITH- also his name, could be Halfjaws. or Lefty works to. Leftjaws.

okay the Heretic doesn't want negotiate with the humans, thats a mark against him.

I think its that Halo is letting actions and visuals speak louder than words, and that Arbiter is from a different culture and civilization that while humanity's enemy that has a lot of bad things, still has virtues as a result of how he was raised.

.....Zodi, humans walk on two legs, and we're the most efficient organism on the face of the planet. we're literally built to be endurance hunters that defeat all the other animals by lasting longer. sure we're not as strong as a tiger, but the problem with things like tigers is that they're all about the burst energy and such, but humans? we got endurance.

but yeah, Heretic is sad because the only reason he is an enemy is because the Arbiter never got the chance to hear the truth, because the Heretic was too busy being paranoid of others rather than trying to reach out. he could've been an ally to both Arbiter and the UNSC if circumstances were different.

21. - Top - End - #441

On Halo 2, Episode 5:
    The Heretic being a villain is debatable. he is technically rebelling against both an omnicidal robot and a bunch of jerks who lied to his people with a religion that will make them want to cause that omnicide. the only reason why fighting him is to silence him- if anything the Arbiter is still a villain protagonist at this point.

okay the Heretic doesn't want negotiate with the humans, thats a mark against him.

I think its that Halo is letting actions and visuals speak louder than words, and that Arbiter is from a different culture and civilization that while humanity's enemy that has a lot of bad things, still has virtues as a result of how he was raised.

.....Zodi, humans walk on two legs, and we're the most efficient organism on the face of the planet. we're literally built to be endurance hunters that defeat all the other animals by lasting longer. sure we're not as strong as a tiger, but the problem with things like tigers is that they're all about the burst energy and such, but humans? we got endurance.

but yeah, Heretic is sad because the only reason he is an enemy is because the Arbiter never got the chance to hear the truth, because the Heretic was too busy being paranoid of others rather than trying to reach out. he could've been an ally to both Arbiter and the UNSC if circumstances were different.
    Oh yeah we're definitely the villain protagonist whenever we're playing as Arbiter.

It's not something we can really discuss on the forum, what I was trying to get into in this video. The long and short of it is that I want to make a "wow cool robot space ring" image for Halo.

Humans are definitily not the most efficient organism on the face of the earth. Our knees and shoulders shatter immediately under any sort of pressure and never heal. We have strong with stamina and brain, and we have thumbs which is powerful, but we're... not much otherwise. We're durable, but also shockingly fragile at times. And none of this accounts for the fact that, two legs bad four legs better.

I mean Guilty Spark was going to tell us everything! Then he starts blastin'!

22. - Top - End - #442

OOPS late Custom Robo because I got distracted.

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [39] Beta Testing

Video Length: 25:28

In this episode, we return home to get our next tournament; a bunch of Holloseum developers paid Lucy to use our bedroom as a testing ground for their custom work! Time for us to try out their stuff!

This is a really weird set up but actually kind of interesting, and also it makes me realize that almost all of the arenas that are used in game are kinda lame. These ones are exciting and cool! Why are they not used otherwise? It's just... a little more bafflement on what Custom Robo is as a video game.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, neat. New arenas... when you're basically done the game. Joy. I know, I bet they're for multiplayer, but... still.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still of the thought that the creators of custom robo thought they would be starting a trend or franchise by making this game and launch some multiplayer scene for it, but the story was so dark and in some ways a little anti-climactic as well as not being a big name (I never even heard of custom robo before Zodi's lets play) that it just never happened, so now its just this weird little game with a bunch of stages that no one will ever play, because anyone interested in mecha is busy playing gundam games. and anyone interested in jrpgs well.....there is a lot of competition there.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still of the thought that the creators of custom robo thought they would be starting a trend or franchise by making this game and launch some multiplayer scene for it, but the story was so dark and in some ways a little anti-climactic as well as not being a big name (I never even heard of custom robo before Zodi's lets play) that it just never happened, so now its just this weird little game with a bunch of stages that no one will ever play, because anyone interested in mecha is busy playing gundam games. and anyone interested in jrpgs well.....there is a lot of competition there.
    There were a couple other Japan-only Custom Robo games before this one, and one after it on the DS. The series already existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #446

It's time for Halo again.

Zodi Plays: Halo 2 [6] My Tank

Video Length: 38:10

In this episode, Master Chief finds himself on... I guess the Delta Halo, as the name suggests. So as far as the game is concerned we're now starting it for real! And, much like the original Halo, our first land-fall on it is actually really enjoyable. The set pieces in this stage are pretty interesting, there's a fun variety of weapons, the game only... slightly annoyed me with the seemingly instant death out of nowhere I've come to expect of Halo 2's rocket tag combat. And then we get a tank!

And then the tank happens.

Hope you all enjoyed! I'll see you all next time!

27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground

ODSTs is Orbital Drop Shock Trooper, yes. Also known as Helljumpers ("drop feet first into hell"). I find them fascinating, because their relationship with the Spartans is never really explored. But, in lore, it's kinda adversarial. Since the ODSTs are only human, while Spartans were designed to be better. The elite best-of-the-best designation they enjoyed was just... stolen away from them. It's an entirely one-sided rivalry, though.

Halo is pretty good at making calm music in hectic scenes work. But also knows when to go all-out.

Ah, yep. Pop-up barriers are a cruel mistress. ;P

28. - Top - End - #448

Oops got so distracted with anime and EDM and writing he sequel to my novel that I forgot to post today's Halo!

Zodi Plays: Halo 2 [7] No Regrets

Video Length: 43:12

In this one, we put a bullet (and some fist marks) into the head of the Prophet of Regret, one of the three leaders of the Covenant. We also learn a bit more about just what me and Em's standards are for what makes a video game good. Spoilers Em is wrong but that's a subjective opinion.

Also, this and next video will be the end of there being choppy gameplay. I finally figured out a solution, sorry it took so long. I'm lazy and consumed with many other things.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

So, hey, fun fact: That terminal there, explaining the Arbiters? Some of those scenes were from one of the Halo: Legends anime. So... if you're wanting to see cool Arbiter fight? Well, good news.

So... there's some interesting lore behind the current Hierarchs, which I can get into at some point later. Right now I feel it's a little spoil-y, even if it doesn't really get into anything the games do. But it gives additional information as to why they might be sniping at each others' (considerable) throats.

Hahahahaha, oh, right, this ending. Man, I was playing with my friend, and she was like "okay, after this level we'll stop." And then that happened, and she was like "No! No no no! We are not ending here!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    And then the next mission was an arbiter mission and it made her furious.

30. - Top - End - #450

What? A... custom 'robo' you say?

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [40] Girl Beans

Video Length: 20:25

In this exciting return to Custom Robo, we step out into the Outside once more... to the Z Syndicate "museum" where all the Z Syndicate members we met over the game have been mind wiped into believing they are just the employees of. Like with all of the memory erasure device stuff, the shenanigans have an undertone or absolute horror. Hooray!

We do Eliza's first, which turns out to be a 2v1 in your favour again! Strange, but alright. A nice way to ease ourselves back into the robo zone, if I do say so myself.