New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Custom Robo (Redesign Your Robo, We Know What We're Doing)

Oh boy. Running around, splitting up, things getting broken. What fun.

I dunno whatcha mean, Zodi. There's nothing suspicious about Evil, this place, the locked emergency exits, or the earthquakes. I'm sure that none of them are connected to anything else, say, via tunnels or something.

Oh no, Cipher Peon! Time for a Pokémon Battle.

Huh, okay, guess the alternate battle music is just something that can pop up occasionally, or something.

Pfffft. My Video History prof was right - you can't escape the name Eliza.

What? Anime outfits being horny? I don't believe it.
    Is cute, though.

Oof, yeah, that all looks... brutal in conjunction
    Good job in the second round, though!

Man, another woman who's just "Woman" even though we explicitly know her name. And this one seems plot important for some reason, too!

Huh, plot. Interesting. No monolithic antagonist faction. Neat.

I think the idea is the safety switch deals less damage to the robos, too. So unless it's mandated that everyone uses it, you'll be at a disadvantage towards a person who doesn't have it on. So... I guess higher stakes? It's the Prisoner's Dilemma.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Custom Robo (Redesign Your Robo, We Know What We're Doing)

Maybe Gyro is just faceblind to women who aren't immediately important to him. Anyway Halos.

Zodi Plays: Halo [12] Door One Of Ten

Video Length: 29:39

In this video, we begin The Library, one of if not THE most infamous level in Halo. Long, arduous, and full of mushrooms. Let us dive right in, and save my thoughts for this till the end.

With that in mind, please enjoy.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Ohhhhhboy. The Library. When my friend and I did this on Normal, we still died. A lot. I pray it goes smoother for you two. For all our sakes.

...dang it, Em, that's like the one of those songs that I actually remember, and now you've got it in my head. Thanks.

I think it's the most recent patch that broke things, because the end of this level's when I remembered to turn Subtitles on, and that's when I could read Guilty Spark's pontificating. (Postscript: Okay, they seem to be back later.)

Yeah, at least something changed with the controls. I totally had that same feeling with the things being... off the second time I booted things up.

And now you know why this level is a problem. You have encountered all of the issues in the first ten minutes. Lots of enemies that frankly aren't that interesting. Boring interior. Not enough ammo (especially on heroic when it takes more than one AR bullet to pop the infection forms). Dark. Easy to get lost in. ...and the same thing repeated over and over ten times. He's not joking on that, by the way. Let's all sing the padding song!

And just think of how much worse this would be solo, because there's no multiplayer scaling!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

On Episode 10:
    Lina, your the one literally living here, your the one I'd suspect the most since you seem to be treating this as some cushy luxury mansion rather than a serious workplace.

No....the window's shards fall into the inside, which means it was broken from the OUTSIDE. if it was broken from the inside, we wouldn't see shards falling in. But Evil's associates are probably behind it

their outfits are suspiciously similar to Evils though. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN. I'm beginning to suspect that Evil is the Jessie and James of Syndicate Z.

Eliza eh? yup yup, just what I thought beautiful anime woman antagonist. she is radiating big "ohohohoho" energy. I like the fan. and seems to be the first real hard fight too! with actual losses.

wait the group split and now there are factions....meaning Z- Syndicate isn't some monolithic evil organization but rather has different leaders, goals and directions? wow this just gets realer by the day. the rebel group against the megacorps are having disagreements on how to far go in the revolution, clearly.

that so a lie, Linda. you gave Gyro the Ray-01 only a few days ago! you have a super mech given to us right here, don't feed us that nonsense.

Protag-boy has acquired Robot Rival. surely this Robot has their own dream its working to achieve. maybe it to dreams of participating in an actual tournament and proving that it is the best and not just another training dummy, so he spars with someone as determined as it is to prove it can be strong as well.

On Halo Episode 12:
    Yeah, I don't remember much about the Library, but looking at it: its very samey, nothing but Flood to fight, and you have a point this level is dark and that universally seems to make a level worse.

One of Ten. I don't remember that, but I was young, so I probably beat this level through sheer determination. like I remember not liking it as much, but I don't think I was old enough to realize that meant it wasn't good.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #155

Today's super late video brought to you by doing silly voices for my cousin while he plays Dragon Quest Builders 2. Protip; screechy British skeletor voice BAD for your throat, do not do it.

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [11] Meat Robo

Video Length: 26:07

In today's episode, we receive a call... after we sleep for almost an entire full day. Ernest wants us to investigate a strange disturbance at Bogey's Cafe... and what we find there is actually pretty horrifying. The organic autonomous robo, shooting up the place and causing widespread- if localized- destruction. The only hope we have is to face it head on... which we do so, fighting within a strange, idyllic meadow.

After very probably nearly dying to this horrifying flesh machine, who should show up but that mysterious blue haired anime and his apparent boss, Oboro! Leader of the Z Syndicate, in contrast to Eliza's Z Syndicate. He's a far bit goofier in design for a number of reasons, but also kind of intimidating at the same time. We end up tussling, though Harry takes on Oboro. We're left with Legato over there, and his illegal Lightning Sky and Eagle Gun, both of which make him a deadly foe to be reckoned with.

Thankfully we're (barely) able to fight them off, and with little else to do Gyro decides that after slamming his brain against a highly advanced super robo and wanted criminals using dangerous, illegal parts, a single hour of waking time is all he needed for today and throws himself back in bed. Valid, honestly.

And that's it for today! Hope you all enjoyed. No glossary this time because, once again, no glossary update! It's super weird... ah well. I'll see you all next time, take care!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Meat Robo? Oh no. *Flashbacks to when you played Psychonauts*

Oh, yeah, geez, Z-Syndicate battles sure step things up.

Huh. They use 'robot' again when describing this thing. Reports of a bizzare-looking robot. But then Harry uses robo with after.

Huh, yeah, I'd not noticed that the trees were artificial and metal until now, but looking at the park, they totally are. Neat.
    Oh, and you comment on that a moment later.

Going for all the Nintendo references, I see.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

On Episode 11:
    .....This isn't mind screwery. this is physical screwery.

what, how doesn't it look like a robo!? it has two arms, two legs, is robotic and angular, its as gundam-esque as any other we've seen! how is it NOT like a robo!? confused Raziere is confused.

they're just casually talking while the robo is firing one way or another, is it just doing target practice?

OOOOOOOOOOOH, now I see why I they said it didn't look the same, see from a distance I couldn't tell that those red
    and purple parts were organ and vein-looking, still its pretty humanoid and has mechanical parts to it. the graphics of this game was throwing me off.

wait.....no.....the park......if its all plastic then- oooooooh nooooooo.

feeding on....negative energy?

man, Marcia's brother makes Marcia look easily, no wonder she is so good, she had to spar against THAT guy!

well the holosseum you make could be a genetic trait- or more sensibly it could be an environmental trait. they're products of the mind after all! siblings could have similar holosseums from being raised in the same social environment and atmosphere

two distinct manifestations, signs of evolution. hm. AI's evolving? robos?

also nintendo references. okay.

but yeah, the things revealed in this have implicatiiiioooons and I'm afraid of theorizing now because I might be TOO Accurate with them and spoil something by extrapolation.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    but yeah, the things revealed in this have implicatiiiioooons and I'm afraid of theorizing now because I might be TOO Accurate with them and spoil something by extrapolation.
    We all know by now that your theorizing and speculation isn't based on actual knowledge of the game – and I, for one, have been loving seeing what you come up with. Go for it, I say.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #159

I second Qwerty on this point.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Very well. I shall theorize.

Spoiler: Implications
    Show

On Meat Robo:
    First: does the meat aesthetic have any fundamental difference to normal Robos? maybe, maybe not. common sense suggests that they are beings formed of thought, and thus whatever aesthetic chosen to represent them shouldn't actually matter. except if they can go into the real world, thats a different story. because a physical thing does require working parts in order to function, its all connected. so if a robo needs bio parts to exist in the real world, that might be some imitation of human biology to achieve that. after all, if normal robots could be like humans, they would've already made those because they have robots who think already they're basically giant roombas who can think and fight.

the feeding on negative thoughts, and setting an environment to do so implies something where the energy for the robos come from. like the cube is too small for a battery or engine, and being carried around in a pocket doesn't exactly give you design options for solar power. that means that all robos have to be powered by thoughts, there is no other way they can work. makes sense then that autonomous robo needs thought to survive to. but why negative thoughts? why not design a robo with incentive to eat positive thoughts instead, after all, that makes it so that the robo will want to make people happy, therefore those people happy will want the robo to do it again and thus the robo would do it again to get more food. it'd be a good cycle.

unless! negative emotions just give more energy. its easier to spark anger than it is to maintain happiness. or maybe its just designed as a weapon against people by Z for some reason.

On Plastic Grass:
    The fact that Gyro says that the grass and trees isn't made of plastic and metal and whatnot....but doesn't know what they really made of, is quite concerning. Gyro is stupid normal guy protagonist person. the person we're supposed to be in the shoes of in this world. and even he doesn't know real grass or wood is, he describes it to his friends, and they don't either. it means that their entire lives, they've never seen a real plant, or wilderness. that they have lived in this city their entire life, thinking that plastic grass and metal trees is just how they are. thats not a good thing. they don't even that moment where they say "oh so this is what grass USED to be like" or whatever in a futuristic story because they don't even know that grass used to be different. which implies that this society has completely forgotten what nature is.

and despite our modern world being full of artificial stuff, we still have nature around us. its become more garden like in the last couple centuries, but its still there. THIS implies something dark about the world, and there is many directions it can be taken of varying plausibility. and in most of them it implies a contained closed off environment., after all why aren't we allowed to go to other sections of the city, or outside of the city?

Spoiler: Theory 1 (Most Plausible)
    Show

The city this takes place in is a futuristic artificial dome or underground artificial environment. The environment is controlled, everything is recycled and basically everything you see in this city is artificial environments designed for human habitation. The rest of Earth outside......is a wasteland, or some other post-apocalyptic hellscape. we only see this city....because its the last city on Earth. there is nothing else out there. Something horrible happened, maybe a nuclear war, maybe something even worse and the Earth is still in recovery either through humanity's fault or something else....and they just decided not to wield weapons anymore because it was horrible. over time, the government decided to introduce robos to distract them from the truth, to keep them from adventuring beyond the city too far and to keep their minds off this depressing situation, until it has been so long, that people have grown up not knowing that this place is completely artificial. and the police and researchers are the people allowed to know what the truth of the situation is at all and make sure the dome is kept running, and everyone is kept sane so that they don't go stir crazy from living in the same city for what might be decades more. basically think one of the Vaults from Fallout, but bigger and with people trying not to screw everything up so humanity survives to one day populate the Earth again.

Spoiler: Theory 2 (Second Most Plausible)
    Show

Theory 2 is basically Theory 1 but IN SPACE!: they're all on a space station designed for human habitation with an artificial constantly recycling environment, because Earth is just not habitable anymore. same deal with Theory 1, just with added maybe the earthquakes Daimon experiences being the space station experiencing trouble in space or something? but thats better explained by Theory 1. There is nothing but space outside the city, and the whole day night cycle is artificial.

Spoiler: Theory 3 (Third Most Plausible)
    Show

Now this is getting into the more implausible ones. This theory posits that instead of the city being a closed off environment- the entire planet has become a city and they just no longer have grass or real trees to the point where most have forgotten. of course this is highly implausible because where would you possibly get the materials for that coruscant-level building project? I'm only entertaining it because anime nonsense, I wouldn't put it past a game as ridiculous as this to proclaim that the entire world is a city now and that Z is somehow fighting for a more green earth and to bring back real nature. this also means there must be some other reason to distract people with the robo tournaments since I can't see what would people could discover from this scenario, so more marks against this.

Spoiler: Final thoughts
    Show
    I had a fourth theory on this being in a virtual reality, but the more I thought about it, the stupider it seemed because of the games focus on robos fighting in a virtual reality already. it just didn't make sense so I'm discarding it.

either way, nature has to have been completely wiped out or they are all in some contained environment for some reason and most don't know the outside world. the meat robo might be made from someone who still remembers the the world before- and thus their holosseum reflects that, just as two siblings raised in the same environment and family would have the same holosseum because the people involved get the same teachings and such. like the meat robo might BE someone just uploaded into this auto-robo going around doing this because of some revenge scheme, perhaps because this city survived the apocalypse and others did not, or just getting revenge for gaia herself.

but yeah, the police and researchers probably know the true state of Earth, Z Syndicate might be trying to do something about that with a robot designed for revenge maybe, perhaps to expose the truth? I dunno they don't seem like the extremist villain type, though Marcia's brother with how silent and mysterious he is being, might be the one out to do that sort of extremist thing, just using criminals to do that?

the other option to all this is that their city just lives in an extremely isolated oppressive small nation from the rest of the futuristic world for some reason and the Z-syndicate is actually trying to free them from some small city-cult of custom robos while the rest of the world is fine and the authorities here are just evil for some reason but.....I don't buy it for some reason. why would an oppressive government want people to forget real trees or grass? makes no sense. also another theory to discard.

so yeah, whatever's happening in Custom Robo, Earth probably isn't doing too well because of it, basically.

11. - Top - End - #161

A thing I'll comment about; all the robos ARE made of metal. They're made in factories and then miniaturized into the cube. So meat robo is definitely strange.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-05-29 at 08:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    A thing I'll comment about; all the robos ARE made of metal. They're made in factories and then miniaturized into the cube. So meat robo is definitely strange.

Just....just....

okay they're built, but why, why build a meat robo, why is meat more powerful than metal, NO! its not about more power.....oh no.....
    Spoiler
    Show
    autonomous Meat Robos are PEOPLE!!! people who are fighting themselves rather than sending a metal avatar to do it. because they're almost dead or a copied mind or something. one could make an artificial person with organ printing but thats not sensible, not given the holosseum displayed, the meat robo has to be a person modified to be one if they have memories of the time before....

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Episode 11

[3:20] Oh my god, the robots are taking my back alley assassin job!

[4:26] I think the logic is that the Basic Arena we saw early on in the game (and possibly the arenas the share the aesthetic such as High-rise Plaza) is the pre-built holosseum for all Robos. It is weird how it's supposedly randomized all the time and not selected between opponents in the story, but there's probably a Doylist explanation that the game designers didn't want players to optimize the fun out of Story mode by picking one stage all the time and/or not overwhelm players with choices between Robo parts and selecting stages while they're learning the mechanics through Story Mode.

[7:35] Yeah... I have a feeling if Eliza wasn't the Wake Up Call boss, Mr. Meat Robo the First takes the title handedly.

[8:50] 59 Health, by the skin of your teeth Nice comeback though.

[9:10] Harry: "Well. That was easy." Gyro: "I ALMOST DIED BACK THERE!"

[9:40] Okay, this plot point flew over my head the first time I played through because I was preoccupied with "So... Grass feels like grass? Duh?" but it's really clever how the game's aesthetics and the Gamecube's limitations hides the whole "Nobody knows what grass/nature is anymore." You wouldn't think all the flat squarish textures of green was plastic, most would just figure that's how the game/artstyle shows grass.

[11:47] Huh, he uses the same stage as Marcia, I wonder who could it be? /s

[15:28] Yeah, that's kind of why 3-Way gun as been my go-to across games. Pretty good horizontal cover makes it easy to hit, but doesn't sacrifice power, especially if you do get opponents in the middle column or in between columns since the homing is good enough for multiple bullets to converge onto the target.

[17:15] Doesn't have to be an inherited thing, by the game's logic of holosseums being based on memories and psyche of the user, it would make sense for siblings to have similar holosseums just from shared memories from growing up together.

[20:30] Well Trish's dialogue didn't seem to change, but I'm pretty sure the Bogey's Illegal Gamblers are new there.

[21:00] Yeah! Make your dreams come true you... faceless orange visor wearing npc you!

[22:30] Ha! Computers that learn... Oh hey, Alpharad Plus had posted a new Amiibo video!

[24:33] Yes. Tired. That's a word to describe being stuck at the park for what, a week now?
    Last edited by Geno9999; 2020-05-29 at 10:45 PM.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

14. - Top - End - #164

Bit of a late video, but it is time for a Custom Robo

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [12] Two Too Tango

Video Length: 29:51

Last time, we discovered the horrible meat robo that has been going around eating negative energy and potentially killing people, as well as the criminals who are trying to capture it for no doubt nefarious purposes.

Today; bread and circus style 2v2 tournament arc! Sweet...? All things being equal I actually like this segment, it is just weirdly presented given what JUST happened yesterday. The game's pacing is really weird and this sort of thing is the biggest example of that. Regardless, this DOES mean we're gonna get a lot of fun dialogue, and actually kinda interesting fights. I'm not the biggest fan of 2v2 in this game, but it is a nice change up from the standard 1v1 fights.

Mechanical wank time! We get our first Funky Big Head model, the Seal Head! Funky Big Heads are... bad. They're defensive, which is good, but they're SO slow and they have minimized damage output, and the double jumps really are just not that good compared to the dashing! Funky Big Head almost works as an archetype, almost, but it just... isn't quite there. The charge attacks they do are also this weird, lengthy float attack that makes no god damn sense but does have homing, meaning it is an easy charge attack to HIT with, just... not a good one.

And not much else to say this time. The contents kinda speak for itself. Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you next time for... more of this, and some INSANE fights.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

I like using the Seal Head's tackle and others like it defensively – the invulnerability lasts a while.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #166
    Bugbear in the Playground

As to the number of matches you have to win to get through the tournament, my guess would be seven; the tournament format appears to be double elimination with 50 teams, but the game seems not to allow Gyro to lose a match so for you it's effectively single-elimination through the winners' bracket plus a championship match against whoever won the losers' bracket and thus the number of matches should be log(50)/log(2) + 1 = 5.6 + 1 ~ 7.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I like using the Seal Head's tackle and others like it defensively – the invulnerability lasts a while.
    Maybe it is just me, or the nature of 2v2 fights in this game, but I didn't notice invuln frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    As to the number of matches you have to win to get through the tournament, my guess would be seven; the tournament format appears to be double elimination with 50 teams, but the game seems not to allow Gyro to lose a match so for you it's effectively single-elimination through the winners' bracket plus a championship match against whoever won the losers' bracket and thus the number of matches should be log(50)/log(2) + 1 = 5.6 + 1 ~ 7.
    I'm bad at math but this sounds legit.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

On Episode 12:
    "many decades since the police squad was first founded" more implications, this means this current states of affairs has happened within a century if its measured in decades.

OH NO TWO OF THE NPC'S HAS BECOME SELF-AWARE OF THEIR VIDEO-GAME-NESS! QUICK DELETE THEM, THEY MUST NOT KNOW! or they'll start to become Monikas or even Dr. Coomers!

wow, thats one of the biggest loser moments for Harry yet. don't worry Harry, at least your not Evil. *ba-dum-tsh*

Wendy's robo looks like a magical girl. fitting I guess.

of COURSE that Harry's victory pose for that mech of course it is....sigh.

oh god, the metajoke is spreading! soon the NPCs will revolt.....

the law has corrupted this man, now he stands in the way of love for no reason. love over rules!

who are these two chuckleheads? Anthony and Thomas? oh right, those idiots who fell for Mary's charms not knowing that she is as mercurial and fleeting as the wind. I have no sympathy for them.

even the power of friendship has its limits it seems. I'd just love it if that trope was seriously used by the heroes in a climax.....and then it doesn't work, and then they have to come up with an actual smart plan to defeat the foe.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Maybe it is just me, or the nature of 2v2 fights in this game, but I didn't notice invuln frames.

I'm bad at math but this sounds legit.
    Most robos are invincible during the part of their tackle that can actually hit opponents, while their color is changed and the glow effect is there. I think the only one that isn't is the Strike Vanisher (Javelin?) that instead has a super-spammable tackle.
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, man, not much to say overall, but geez do I love games that do this with their writing and minor NPCs and all.

21. - Top - End - #171

Library Time Intensifies. Time for more Halols.

Zodi Plays: Halo [13] T H E I N D E X

Video Length: 37:18

In this exciting episode, we continue to shove our way through the meaningless existence that is The Library. We both end up going a little nuts near the end, and at some point during the video editing process I got a very good and smart idea in my head that kicks ass.

Otherwise, this is more of The Library, so you know what you're getting into. The good news is we beat it! The bad news is, we had to! Anyway, I hope you all enjoy. We'll see you guys next time.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING...

Fun fact: Apparently Index can refer to a list of restricted or prohibited material, the reading of which was prohibited or restricted from Roman Catholics by church authorities. Given how much religious symbolism is in this game both for good and for ill (John-117 is your main character for cryin' out loud) that might be what it was referring to.

Although I personally assumed that it was called an index because the activation codes for this superweapon were so complex and long, and the Library was full of different codes and protocols, this was just the relevant one for firing the ring.

"The DM has decided that we have gone off the rails"

Yes

I understand what's going on and can make guesses as to why GS didn't teleport you directly to the index (his programming probably prevents him from getting you any closer) but that's partly because I've played the later games and understand what the index is for. It's pretty easy to tell that activating this ring is meant to contain the flood outbreak in some way, but unless I missed something I don't think this game ever explained that it's the ACTIVATION index for the Halo ring. IE the launch codes for the weapon.

And if you don't know that until AFTER the Library this feels like a complete slog for no reward
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2020-06-03 at 12:22 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Ahahahaha. I see you guys also fell prey to Rocket Flood. I was not expecting it either.

Halo got popular because it combined a lot of things that we take for granted now into one package. Like the two weapon system, shields, just huge expansive scale (even if, uh, it wasn't the best at execution, it at least felt grand), pretty decent AI for the time, vehicle integration. Good multiplayer. What it did absolutely does not seem revolutionary now, but that's because we've had many, many iterations of it. It's not really... a great game anymore, its significance is far more foundational.

Another way to make the level worse! Stealth mission.

Yeeeeah, early Halo is, uh, kinda rough to put it mildly. It was good enough in all aspects when it released, at least, that the story was interesting enough (and Bungie kept teasing things before its release, so it did get hype), even if, as you've pointed out, as a game story it is... kinda eeesh. The EU novel stuff really helped with a lot of that (The Fall of Reach book is often considered one of the best, and it released the same year as the game), and the gameplay, for the time, was revolutionary in improving everything, as I mentioned earlier. But if it came out today? Yeah, the greatness is all grandfathered in. We've had so many advancements.
    I personally don't think that the story gets too interesting until Halo 2 - the first Halo pretty much just asks a lot of questions.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Way to make the level worse:

Select three or four of the doors (it doesn't really matter which ones so long as they're mostly non adjacent) and give them switches that you need to activate in order to progress. Give no indication of which doors need switches and which GS will unlock.

(I did come up with other ideas but they would make the level impossible rather than just difficult and tedious)

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

On T H E I N D E X
    ironically the bullets and mushroom blood are the only things make sure you can tell where you are. the damage is the only thing making sure you have a landmark

I think the survival segment with its music like tells me that that The Index is supposed to be a bit of a survival horror thing to show you how troublesome it is to fight The Flood because they just keep on coming and don't stop, so it makes why would want to use the Halo to kill them because how....Flood-like they are, you can keep killing them all day and get nowhere.
    its just that horror doesn't age well. it never does. so whats a good representation of how terrifying foe is yesterday, becomes a tiresome pointless segment today. Halo was good.....when it was new. but now we look back on it and it has withstood the test of time. its the seinfield of shooters.

I'm looking halo speedrunning to answer the question of how they try to get through this level aaaand...apparently they do something "flood bumping" or something, and "grenade jumps" and that the fastest time I can find on legendary is 10:15. .....I'm looking at the other parts? and its one of the longest times even on the speedruns. so whatever speed wizardry they do, only works so far. the only level that matches it in time is "Halo", the second level. the fastest speedrun of the entire halo: combat evolved game is 1:08:16, little over an hour. so even on a speedrun thats one sixth of their time.

how could M do that Zodi? by being a sadist who wants a laugh. it'd be a good meme. "Oh the Library has good things about it? here let me ruin that for you." it'd appeal to the crowd who play videogames to watch stupid but fun stuff happen because of jank.

how I'd make it worse:
    make it so you have to solve meaningless puzzles that have nothing to do with anything at random doors. it isn't even consistent.

put in a labyrinth segment

make the tide of small facehuggers never stop coming. just an endless stream of them. forever.

add in ice physics.

add in books. but they're all about ancient Forerunner smut.

make all the flood thomas the tank engine

replace Guilty Spark with GladOS.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

On T H E I N D E X
    ironically the bullets and mushroom blood are the only things make sure you can tell where you are. the damage is the only thing making sure you have a landmark

I think the survival segment with its music like tells me that that The Index is supposed to be a bit of a survival horror thing to show you how troublesome it is to fight The Flood because they just keep on coming and don't stop, so it makes why would want to use the Halo to kill them because how....Flood-like they are, you can keep killing them all day and get nowhere.
    its just that horror doesn't age well. it never does. so whats a good representation of how terrifying foe is yesterday, becomes a tiresome pointless segment today. Halo was good.....when it was new. but now we look back on it and it has withstood the test of time. its the seinfield of shooters.

I'm looking halo speedrunning to answer the question of how they try to get through this level aaaand...apparently they do something "flood bumping" or something, and "grenade jumps" and that the fastest time I can find on legendary is 10:15. .....I'm looking at the other parts? and its one of the longest times even on the speedruns. so whatever speed wizardry they do, only works so far. the only level that matches it in time is "Halo", the second level. the fastest speedrun of the entire halo: combat evolved game is 1:08:16, little over an hour. so even on a speedrun thats one sixth of their time.

how could M do that Zodi? by being a sadist who wants a laugh. it'd be a good meme. "Oh the Library has good things about it? here let me ruin that for you." it'd appeal to the crowd who play videogames to watch stupid but fun stuff happen because of jank.
    I disagree. Halo is a game I didn't play in full (no XBOX of my own at the time) but even I heard how bad the Library was; or more specifically how much the flood sucked to fight (they apparently do not get "fun" until Halo 3)

The issue with having the flood as this unstoppable horde that "you can't stand and fight because they just keep coming"... is that the level keeps having you stop to do *exactly that* and you need to succesfully do so in order to progress. If you want the Flood to be an unstoppable horde that you can't fight, then the Library should've been a running section. Hurry to get to the next door (which would have doors on both ends, a la an airlock; there is at least one area like that as I recall) before the horde overwhelms you. Take a moment to rest and recover, maybe find some ammo... then the next area, and so on. At least once, some of the flood would break into the room and you'd have to fight them.

how I'd make it worse:
    make it so you have to solve meaningless puzzles that have nothing to do with anything at random doors. it isn't even consistent.

put in a labyrinth segment

make the tide of small facehuggers never stop coming. just an endless stream of them. forever.

add in ice physics.

add in books. but they're all about ancient Forerunner smut.

make all the flood thomas the tank engine

replace Guilty Spark with GladOS.
    That last one would actually be great.

"Failure to eliminate all Flood signatures will result in a poor mark on your performance evaluation.

Followed by death."

"It's not just any parasite. It is the deadliest, most unkillable and unstoppable parasite that ever existed. And you just let it loose across the only thing that could stop it.

*clap*
    *clap*
    *clap*

Good, my slow clap processor's still working. Now let's get to the Library so you can get to fixing this mess. Or die horribly. Either way I'm entertained."

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That last one would actually be great.

"Failure to eliminate all Flood signatures will result in a poor mark on your performance evaluation.

Followed by death."

"It's not just any parasite. It is the deadliest, most unkillable and unstoppable parasite that ever existed. And you just let it loose across the only thing that could stop it.

*clap*
    *clap*
    *clap*

Good, my slow clap processor's still working. Now let's get to the Library so you can get to fixing this mess. Or die horribly. Either way I'm entertained."
    Yeah, I concur. Anything can be improved by sassy test robot.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Yeah, I concur. Anything can be improved by sassy test robot.
    yeah but then she lies where the next door is, fills random rooms with deadly neurotoxin and puts in a portal puzzle in that you have a portal gun to solve.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

yeah but then she lies where the next door is, fills random rooms with deadly neurotoxin and puts in a portal puzzle in that you have a portal gun to solve.
    Man. If only we had a suit that enabled us to not need to breathe in external air.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Man. If only we had a suit that enabled us to not need to breathe in external air.
    Sure but for how long?

Extended Sig