New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Custom Robo (Redesign Your Robo, We Know What We're Doing)

:51 edosipE olaH nO
    "Fight me golden idiot" does sound like a Jojo stand....the power would to turn people to gold, but it only works on people who try to attack you thus you need to taunt them into stupidly attacking you. like if Shinsou met the Midas touch.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Custom Robo (Redesign Your Robo, We Know What We're Doing)

Never enough cute anime girls. ...but sci-fi video games is a good reason to stop.

The three pillar things were, IIRC, interrupted to try and ensure that Halo couldn't fire on its own even if Guilty Spark did manage to try and find some clever way around not having the activation index.

Plasma rifle, despite having 100 charge, does not have 100 shots. It gets out in the realm of 3-4 plasma shots per charge! Though if you feather it, then, yes, it will use up one charge per shot. Doesn't handle fractional charge well, so if you spit out just one, it'll round down.

Yep, individual Hunter worms can get killed by the flood, but alone they don't have the neural mass needed (they really only become sentient in colonies), so the colony just rejects the worm and carries on killing dudes.

Ah, I see you have grasped my strategy for the last few levels! Run past everything and get to the Banshees.

All the Banshees in this area perpetually respawn, as there's otherwise no way to get up.

Yeah, Dead Man's Switching the Fuel Rod Guns is jerkish.

Yep, Forerunner has been mentioned. Just before being sent to stop Keyes:
    "This ring isn't a cudgel, you barbarian: it's something else...something much more important. The Covenant were right...this ring...it's Forerunner. Give me a second to access... Yes, the Forerunners built this place, what they called a 'fortress world,' in order to... No, that can't be. Oh, those Covenant fools, they must have known; there must have been signs!"
    And just at the start of this level:
    "You have no idea how this ring works, do you? Why the Forerunners built it? Halo doesn't kill Flood, it kills their food: Humans, Covenant, whatever—we're all equally edible. The only way to stop the Flood is to starve them to death. And that's exactly what Halo is designed to do: wipe the galaxy clean of all sentient life. You don't believe me? Ask him."
    Guilty Spark, however, has not specifically made mention of the term.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh hey, another A Taste Of time!

A Taste Of: Phantasy Star Online 2

Video Length: 32:30

There is honestly a lot of good to say about Phantasy Star Online 2. It's also a pretty complicated game that'll take me a bit to get a hang of, but overall it seems pretty solid! If you're into MMOs, definitely give it a shot since it is free. My personal taste is always going to be FFXIV, but this one is really good too.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Yay, more cute robot girls!

The voice acting and translation for this game is... wonky. And you have stuff like the dialogue box saying "Gods be operative" when the voice line clearly says "Godspeed, operative."

This game definitely is intended for controller. Menus and combat and stuff's all built around it.

There are two combat modes. Over the shoulder doesn't have lock-on, that's manual targeting. Out of that mode, you cycle through targets Z-targeting style.

The dash/dodge/vanish is... well, a dodge. Makes you temporarily invincible during... some part of it. Not super clear on the timing, to be honest. The end, maybe?

(Something that I should note is that if the game seems too easy, it's because things got buffed for the episodes that're Japanese only right now - so we have the tuned-up classes, but not the content balanced for that. So, worry not if things seem too simple.)

Now, okay, I know you said there's a lot of good... but there is also a lot of issues with the game, that really don't come up in this video. So, I feel I should mention those, too. Zodi already mentioned the complexities - there are like 5 different currencies. You really do need to look up a class guide, because there are a lot of trap options that I fell into, and it costs real money to respec in your class (though you can freely swap classes at any time). The premium stuff is baaaaaad. You only buy access to things like bigger storage, personal room customization, or the ability to sell your items at the shop for 30 days. All that's separate! The material storage, allowing you to dump all your crafting stuff so you don't need to do inventory jenga with them? Separate 30 day rent. Etc.

Oh, and let's not ignore the elephant in the room. The game suuuucks with the Microsoft store. 11GB launcher, 60 GB game, and it often interrupts the install, corrupts, doesn't properly load, uninstalls itself so you need to do the whole 70 GB install again, etc. etc. etc. There are huge threads.

Don't get me wrong, I like playing this game with friends... but, man, it's painful at times. But, it's my a e s t h e t i c~, so I like it. Always wanted to be a cute robot with guns as big as she is.

Anyways, if anyone does play, I'm Ship 2. (Got pulled there, and now most of my friends have gone, alas. Quit due to installation issues.) Though, you probably want to be with Zodi on 1.

5. - Top - End - #245

Time to resume one of my favorite activities; this video game.

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [16] Tests Upon Tests

Video Length: 27:51

In this exciting episode, we resume what we started last time, starting with a fight against Linda and her deadly bee weapon, sliding on to Roy and his Strike Vanisher, stepping on over to Mira, and then being so impressive that the chief of police decides he wants to have a go. We beat all of them, though the last two actually provide a bit of challenge.

With that all said and done, everyone decides that we've proven ourselves ready to learn... some knowledge. Specifically, about the super special S-class license that is so secret that really only the people in this room know about it, which we need to take another test for. But they're confident we're ready to take such test... and we'll be doing that next time. Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you guys then.

------

Glossary time!

Spoiler: Ep 16 Glossary
    Show

This one was probably picked up last time and I just forgot to look at it, or missed it. There's nothing specifically interesting about Father's Watch as a glossary entry, beyond the fact that it took this long to get added TO the glossary. That at least is weird.

For the MOST part there's nothing new here compared to what we learned from talking with the chief and friends, though there is some grandstanding about how S-Ranks are just better than regular people... except for that last sentence. The government officially disavows the existence of this rank, which is pretty telling that Something is going on. Now obviously that's... obvious, but it's still good to see them write it in this way, if that makes sense? There is obviously a twist coming, but the game at least lets you know it.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    With that all said and done, everyone decides that we've proven ourselves ready to learn... some knowledge. Specifically, about the super special S-class license that is so secret that really only the people in this room know about it, which we need to take another test for. But they're confident we're ready to take such test... and we'll be doing that next time. Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you guys then.

------
    So in the course of like an in-game..what, week? Gyro goes from not even knowing what a Robo is, to being recommended for the super-secret "We trust you actually know how to fight and also we're going to use you as a secret agent" class. These anime protagonists sure do grow up fast.

I can't tell if the game is deliberately doing the thing where everybody talks up the Police Squad but all the actual non-named members are pretty useless, or if that's an unintentional side effect of having nameless/non-unique character models just generally be irrelevant in games. Or maybe all the lower license levels are really just for display and Class S is the only one where they actually expect you to be able to, you know, fight well? All the Police Squad members theoretically hold a Class A license, and they certainly don't show the kind of performance you would expect if that was a real benchmark of quality.. (Also Gyro is whipping them all around the place while still only being Class D, which appears to be the license level of "we're pretty sure you aren't going to suffer an aneurysm just from turning on your Robo.")

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    So in the course of like an in-game..what, week? Gyro goes from not even knowing what a Robo is, to being recommended for the super-secret "We trust you actually know how to fight and also we're going to use you as a secret agent" class. These anime protagonists sure do grow up fast.

I can't tell if the game is deliberately doing the thing where everybody talks up the Police Squad but all the actual non-named members are pretty useless, or if that's an unintentional side effect of having nameless/non-unique character models just generally be irrelevant in games. Or maybe all the lower license levels are really just for display and Class S is the only one where they actually expect you to be able to, you know, fight well? All the Police Squad members theoretically hold a Class A license, and they certainly don't show the kind of performance you would expect if that was a real benchmark of quality.. (Also Gyro is whipping them all around the place while still only being Class D, which appears to be the license level of "we're pretty sure you aren't going to suffer an aneurysm just from turning on your Robo.")
    Honestly there's so many ways this question could go. Are the cops all just bad except for the S-Ranks because they're NPCs, because the game has some severe under stones of "the government is barely holding together a facade of some sort so the quality of the cops is indicative of how they're holding on", because plot wise they just are incompetent compared to the S-Ranks, because Gyro and friends are just that strong. All are valid answers and that's fascinating!

Also as an aside: The illustrious and cool The Fury has started a book club thread for my novel, found here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...Initial-Sparks . Definitely give it a look, especially if you're one of the... potentially many people I've gotten into fun discussions with media for. I've finally put my money where my mouth is, at the very least
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-06-19 at 09:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Oh boy. Tests upon tests upon tests.

Hey, S is just a reflected Z, isn't it...

(Also Gyro is whipping them all around the place while still only being Class D, which appears to be the license level of "we're pretty sure you aren't going to suffer an aneurysm just from turning on your Robo.")
    I mean, you have to wait... what was it, a month or something to take another License test to go up a level? So, given that it's not possible for Gyro to be anything but D, since short timeframe... that part's excusable.

Sophie's gonna be really confused, though, if she sees us with a Class-A and not having had tests again.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see.. we're assuming there's some kind of hideous cyberpunk dystopia happening in the background, right? So.. what if all the nameless, faceless NPCs are literally not people? They're all just meat-robos, programmed to act like and believe that they are humans, in order to support some official story (like that the world is *not* mostly depopulated, and you aren't actually living inside a Human Preserve/Fallout Shelter situation where some of the last few natural humans are desperately looking for a way to survive) The reason their faces are all covered so that you can't see their eyes is because there's some really bad Uncanny Valley going on. (Incidentally, this means the Police Groupie with the cosplay cop outfit is potentially a real human that unknowingly aspires to be a not-human, which is just a wonderfully cyberpunky thing.) They have a tendency to get stuck in loops and sometimes have to be reset with outside stimuli, which is why that one couple apparently spent four days just hanging around the park and all the NPC models there are obsessed with Z words now..

The murdering meat-robo you encountered is one of these person-substitutes that had its mind broken somehow. The 'male' ones that are starting to reflect on their own lack of identity have taken the first steps to going rogue in a similar fashion, and will present a threat to the safety of the shelter if not identified and handled appropriately. Linda's Lab is the maintenance and control center for these robos, and that's why people keep breaking into it..

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

On Episode 16:
    "tremendous commander"
    >saw how many time zodi lost
    sure whatever you say Linda.

yeah, Roy hating Harry is probably it. I'd probably hate Harry if he were real to. I kind of dislike him just from his fictional presence alone.

Class S, as in maybe....CLASS SECRET.

@ tyckspoon: I mean I'm the only one making those kinds of theories, I don't know about the others. but what you say about them being meat robos and going through cycles would make a lot of sense given the dialogue: the protag boy and his father might not have names....they're just acting out a cliche archetype because thats all they can remember of how this is supposed to go.

so yeah, the government has secret agents, are holding tournaments to distract and entertain people and also to recruit more secret agents, the scientist is one of those secret agents so as I suspected, the science and police divisions are pretty much working together. the question is, what could they possibly need three more agents for? hopefully we're going to start getting some actual info on whats going on now.

but yeah the world is very limited, I know this is a gamecube game, but I'm pretty sure the gamecube could support more than one map like this, and more places to go if the creators really wanted to, so I'm feeling as if a lot of this is an intentional design choice. this city is intentionally limited and boxed in. compare it to like, Tales of Symphonia and you'll get what I mean, its a gamecube rpg as well, with an action combat system as well and its world is much bigger, more dungeons, more rooms, more places to go, longer storyline, that whole thing. the gamecube can handle more, but this is an intentionally limited setting for whatever reason, there isn't even more city to explore. because for a supposed cyberpunk city, you keep meeting the same few people when it should be the opposite if this was a normal city. normal cities are a hive full of strangers you don't speak to when you end up sitting next to each other then walk away from after ignoring each other for half an hour.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    because for a supposed cyberpunk city, you keep meeting the same few people when it should be the opposite if this was a normal city. normal cities are a hive full of strangers you don't speak to when you end up sitting next to each other then walk away from after ignoring each other for half an hour.
    To be fair, I absolutely prefer it this way, because you actually get to see the storylines of the NPCs, and recognise who is who. Each are very distinct, and there's always something new - rather than Random Line NPC #47.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    "tremendous commander"
    >saw how many time zodi lost
    sure whatever you say Linda.
    To be fair, Zodi is constantly changing her Robo based on what parts she picked up, and they don't always align with what's good against your next opponent.

@ tyckspoon: I mean I'm the only one making those kinds of theories, I don't know about the others. but what you say about them being meat robos and going through cycles would make a lot of sense given the dialogue: the protag boy and his father might not have names....they're just acting out a cliche archetype because thats all they can remember of how this is supposed to go.

so yeah, the government has secret agents, are holding tournaments to distract and entertain people and also to recruit more secret agents, the scientist is one of those secret agents so as I suspected, the science and police divisions are pretty much working together. the question is, what could they possibly need three more agents for? hopefully we're going to start getting some actual info on whats going on now.

but yeah the world is very limited, I know this is a gamecube game, but I'm pretty sure the gamecube could support more than one map like this, and more places to go if the creators really wanted to, so I'm feeling as if a lot of this is an intentional design choice. this city is intentionally limited and boxed in. compare it to like, Tales of Symphonia and you'll get what I mean, its a gamecube rpg as well, with an action combat system as well and its world is much bigger, more dungeons, more rooms, more places to go, longer storyline, that whole thing. the gamecube can handle more, but this is an intentionally limited setting for whatever reason, there isn't even more city to explore. because for a supposed cyberpunk city, you keep meeting the same few people when it should be the opposite if this was a normal city. normal cities are a hive full of strangers you don't speak to when you end up sitting next to each other then walk away from after ignoring each other for half an hour.
    Meanwhile I, who has played through the game, is entertained by the wild speculation of everyone, whether it is how close or how far off it is. I do think that next episode is the big reveal...We'll learn that Gyro probably hasn't been to school!
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

13. - Top - End - #253

It is, I think, time for a Custom Robo...

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [17] Rahu

Video Length: 25:24

In this episode, we go to take the S-Rank test. The test in question is... to fight the combat data of the meat robot. A hard fight, made harder by the fact that the way I'm playing kinda cripples me into using weapons that aren't the best for a clear Lightning Sky esque opponent. I manage to pull through, but it is pretty difficult.

And with meat defeated, it is time to learn the truth of the world.

Spoiler: A Cruel Reality
    Show
    As a kid, this revelation blew my mind. The idea that a lot of the design elements of the game; from the obviously fake gardens to the weird overhanging ceiling to size and scale and scope of the world map, all of it plus the confusion about the natural world... it was all hinting towards something like this. This horrifying cyber punk like dystopia where there is only a singular patch of humanity left, living in an artificially controlled area, cut off from whatever counts as the rest of the world. It is an astounding reveal, considering that aside from the interactions we've spent WITH Rahu, the game has appeared to be a completely happy go lucky kid JRPG.

We fought criminals and they were like "aw shucks you beat me at robots now I can't do a a steal" and went home, and now we're being shown that the world functions like this because it was likely influenced to be, to avoid drawing in Rahu. Can't have guns because the negativity associated will draw in meat robo. Can't really train our police to be skilled because the power imbalance will cause what remains of humanity to break. Minimizing negative emotions so that Rahu can't be attracted and eat them, and potentially kill one of the precious humans that remain. It is FASCINATING, seemingly comes out of nowhere, and makes 100% perfect sense.

I love Custom Robo. I hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you all next time.

------

Would be remiss not to include the glossary entry we get this episode...

Spoiler: Ep 17 Glossary
    Show

A bit more explanation of what, exactly, our enemy is. The horrifying realization that it is growing should be evident.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Storm Sword gun looks like it's really meant to be used in conjunction with all that 'use your bombs and pods to cut off the enemy's movements, use the walls for cover' advice Harry keeps trying to give you Also fires and hits fast enough that it looks like you could probably get three, maybe four salvos in while your opponent is Down? I can see that being good, just not for your preferred moments of stomping up in your opponent's face and shoving a bunch of bullets in there.

15. - Top - End - #255

Storm Sword gun looks like it's really meant to be used in conjunction with all that 'use your bombs and pods to cut off the enemy's movements, use the walls for cover' advice Harry keeps trying to give you Also fires and hits fast enough that it looks like you could probably get three, maybe four salvos in while your opponent is Down? I can see that being good, just not for your preferred moments of stomping up in your opponent's face and shoving a bunch of bullets in there.
    It's also way better when your opponent isn't a Lighting Sky. Shockingly, slow methodical homing shots don't work well on the airplane boy.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Ooh, cool sword.

...with an impractically cool firing mode. "Lasers from the heavens! ...which you can avoid if you're in constant motion like we've told you to always be doing anyways."

Well, uh, that's definitely heavy.

Okay, I can see to never tell Zodi any secrets ever.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

On episode 17:
    Swordgun! for when your in a modern world, but you just want to kill people with medieval weaponry anyways, and the gunsword is the wrong way around for your sensibilities.

Rahu? WAHOO!
    Spoiler: Secrets
    Show
    Its a living being eh? okay

WAIT. WHAT. this single robo....destroyed almost the entire human race? as in one specific one, or the type of robo? thats just flying around the earth right now in many numbers?

they don't what natural is, and oh....Rahu destroyed the environment? okay. this Robo is basically godlike, how are people supposed to fight this?

SCREW YOU HARRY! I think I know why people hate you now.

but yeah, my prediction of them being in some contained environment after some apocalypse was correct. the only question i'm having is how the heck did a single meat Robo cause all THAT!?

Harry don't. JUST DON'T oh Rahu, he is going to spill state secrets to the first girl that he gets into an actual bed with, isn't he?

Yes I called it Zodi and thank you for that acknowledgement. but, I didn't think of a single robo or robo type did it. I thought it was some other disaster and the robos were just something made after and that they were some response to the apocalypse, not apart of the cause. I am much more concerned about these robos now.

Edit: wait.....its powered by negative emotions....and if there were a lot of humans on Earth centuries ago and a lot of negative emotions running wild, like a war or even bigger dystopia....what if it got power from that? oh no...
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2020-06-22 at 12:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258

OOPS because of my job being back and Monday being a holiday I forgot today was Wednesday wooops.

Zodi Plays: Halo [16] They Don't Stop Coming

Video Length: 28:29

In this episode we finally beat this level and I think we both also go insane. I don't quite recall.

Point is next time, we're finally out of this mess! Hope you all enjoyed I'll see you all then!

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Sadly, Covenant-designer man doesn't really innovate. ...there is a VTOL craft later, though. So, you eventually get your wish!

The door opening wrong is also a clever way to gate your banshees while still re-using the level.

The moody atmospheric music is very good, and it's one of my favorite tracks. If for no other reason that is scores a very poignant scene in the anime.

Pretty sure Keyes unleashed the flood by breaking into places and releasing seals - we saw in the cutscene opening locked doors and such. Though not just Keyes; the Covenant were noted as trying to break in for the 'weapon' as well.

Being 100% honest... in this area I just Ghost-ed past all the enemies, and jumped a Banshee after the 2nd or 3rd time we died. Probably wouldn't work on Heroic, though.
    ...I died more times to the Sentinels guarding the door than I'd care to admit.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

On Halo Episode 16:
    I think the ghosts weapon being light is intentional for game balance. if the ghost was more destructive, there would be no reason to have the scorpion- mobility and power would outdo it every time.

Ah yes I see the enemy has figured out my favored tactic to win almost anything: Don't Stop Attacking. fill world with destruction and death. Relentless Offense.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding the release of the flood, I believe it was actually the Covenant that first brought them out of stasis, not Keyes. When I was playing the game, I thought they'd done it on purpose because they knew the halo was a weapon and it would only be able to be fired if the flood were free (without realising it would kill most of the Covenant too), but the wiki implies the release was an accident.

For the record, flying the banshee is better in later games, because it gets a boost and can do aileron rolls and backflips. Also the rocket launcher gains a lock-on function against vehicles. I think this level would have been a lot more fun if those mechanics were available.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    For the record, flying the banshee is better in later games, because it gets a boost and can do aileron rolls and backflips. Also the rocket launcher gains a lock-on function against vehicles. I think this level would have been a lot more fun if those mechanics were available.
    I maintain that Halo 1 is suuuuuper rough, but the devs really took the feedback and polished the rough gem they had here. Halo 1 is potential, wonderful atmospherics, and mostly decent gameplay mixed with some... not great parts.

23. - Top - End - #263

Okay, time for Lore Dump, part two.

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [18] Outside

Video Length: 37:24

In this episode, after we wake up from the initial burst of horrible truths, we get a call from Ernest telling us that the source of said truths is here, again, at Dendai Don's, again! Horrible murder death robo aside this is actually pretty hilarious. Don's been open for less than a day and Rahu has already returned to absorb thet abundant negative energy radiating from the place. I don't know if it's because of his customers eating week old sushi and immediately regretting it, or Don's complaining about his closed restaurant just being that alluring, but it is honestly pretty funny.

Less funny; Evil is here fighting Rahu himself... and he WINS, knocking the robo out! Then he reveals he's going to take Rahu for hismelf... in order to give to the Z Syndicate! Dun dun duuun! Who would have guessed that Evil would do us a traitor like this. And as if on cue, Eliza shows up... only she doesn't recognize him, which destroys him utterly, and we go to engage her in pitched robo combat! Beating her rather soundly, we go to take Rahu for ourselves... only for Oboro and, as we finally learn, Sergei to arrive! The Zed Syndicate leader fights us next, in a two v two with Marcia helping us so she can fight her brother, which she just outright says. This one is a fair bit harder, but we manage it... only for Oboro to outsmart us with a flashbang, and for Eliza to escape during the fight. Welp.

With that uh, abject failure out of the way, we return to the police to report that hey we encountered Rahu and the bad guys got it. This is... bad, but they table the discussion so they can talk us through the rest of the super secret plot stuff. The reveal of what the outside world is like, the scope and scale of how big, and yet how small, the world that remains is, it's all really impressive to me, I think. And after that... we kind of get into some deeper philisophical topics like the idea of "ignorance is bliss" and how that can apply to different folk for different reasons. It is honestly rather interesting, and while the game is obviously not going to delve super deeply into it, it's still worth thinking about.

Spoiler: Philosophy Wank
    Show
    While I call Harry a sort of shallow person here, his "laissez faire" lifestyle isn't actually called BAD here, it's just noted that for someone like him this secret information is irrelevant, begging the question of "why should he ever learn it?". Whereas Marcia, empath that she is, takes one look at the outside and realizes society as a whole is ultimately fragile. What good has this done for her, to know? Now, an answer to this (one that I believe in by the way) is that while ignorance is bliss, it is also limiting. I do feel like knowledge for the sake of knowledge is important, that you SHOULD want to learn about the world, even if much of what you end up learning turns out to be "wow civilization could crumble at any moment due to all these horrible factors". Because knowing lets you prepare, adapt, understand. Sure, not knowing won't help Harry, but it won't HURT either. Yes, Marcia is terrified of the implications... but it's steeling her resolve to fix it. Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is power.

It's just interesting to me, this contrast that the game sets up and never really fully elaborates on- and it's also super interesting since it is presented by people who are genuinely kinda ****ty, but still ostensibly on the good guy side. The police chief says in THIS EPISODE that closing Don's restaurant was a punitive measure due to him not calling the police. But he DID call the police, and the cover story from the police is that they closed it due to the body. So all the police did was punish him for no good reason. So when the Rahu situation happened again, he didn't call the police at all because the police have shown that calling them does nothing but make his life worse. It's a situation the police directly caused themselves and they really don't get it. It is truly fascinating to me that the cops can acknowledge that they are wholly incompetent, and then note that they would prefer if only they were called in, not bounty hunters.

Anyway, all that aside, I hope you enjoyed. Next time, we're going on a walk about while we think about the horrible truths we have learned, and whether or not we can actually continue and try to save the world. I hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you next time.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-06-26 at 07:37 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, this game's Second Moment. What a way to do it, yeah?

And it was a bit ahead of its time as far as trustworthiness-of-cops, wasn't it.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2020-06-26 at 09:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Man, that didn't last long. "I have no idea who you are." "Jk."
    Also, yeah, someone named 'Evil' is not exactly subtle. Or smart.

...man, I sure hope nobody has to use the bathroom during this time. It seems like the worst place to put it, because everyone has to use it.

I mean, when talking about existentialism, talking about being a tiny marble tends to come up. But other than that
    (I do like that sort of stuff, though. Where common knowledge turns out to be wrong. Though, if done wrong, I have seen it feel like just a frustrating 'gotcha' - tending to be in tabletop.)

Yep, the Catch-22 of not being able to tell them before being allowed to be told, but not knowing if they want it it until they're told. Bad feelings all around.

If nothing else "hey, we lied to you about all this" would probably erode trust massively. "What else were they hiding? They just want to keep everything for themselves!" etc.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

On Episode 18:
    Evil did the evil thing, took the robo then decided to join Z Syndicate!! *DUN DUN DUNNN* what a (n obvious and predictable) twist! Who could've possibly seen it coming?

but wait! Eliza who he proclaimed his crazy infatuation for is just randomly here for some reason! *DUN DUN DUNNN*

But wait! Eliza......LIED and isn't accepting him into Z Syndicate at all! *DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNNNNN*

....the Rahu I got a dialogue box. this does not bode well.

well as far criminals and leaving the safety on, turning it off might be detectable by the police in some manner if they pass through someplace, so its best to have it on to keep yourself off their radar, also a criminal may not actually want to kill people

But even waiterer! that man is Marcia's brother! ........no sound effect, even for this joke? yeah it was so obvious, even the jokes not humoring that twist.

By the way I just looked up Rahu, since robos seem to have a lot of mythological naming. turns out, Rahu is being in hindu mythology responsible for causing the eclipse of the sun and is known as the king of meteors. fitting!

ah, if there is no crime, then the police are just for show. that explains why they're useless: they're not actually police! they're just celebrity robo fighters with a fancy license to make them look official!

outside world, oooooooh, this is getting good! I'm placing bets on "endless desert wasteland"

The world is flat hero, and it ends at a wall. this is common knowledge.

aha, so earthquake is connected to the police! I knew it kind of!

......oh no.......this is even worse than I imagined....this is
    Spoiler
    Show
    endless moon-like wasteland! thats even worse! the city is just a dome! do I see Lavos in the distance?

yeah, Zodi, some series just give something like that away too soon, props on custom robo for being so careful about it!

Hm. whether ignorance or knowledge is better, depends on whether the knowledge can be used to improve the world. one can argue if Rahu led to the world's destruction then the world is better off not knowing how to make a Rahu.

ah I get it, the whole custom robo tournaments are to test peoples mental endurance and stability so that when they see the outside world, they can handle it.

27. - Top - End - #267

Okay, time to kick up into end game. Lets do this!

Zodi Plays: Custom Robo [19] Endgame

Video Length: 22:27

In this episode, we get a call from Ernest about another job. I... for some reason, initially thought it would be another non story related job because it's been way too long since I played this game fully, so yeah. The job in question is to go off to the police station for their... special task. Ernest, while he's not privy to the details, can see a dangerous situation when it comes up, and tells us we don't HAVE to take it if we're afraid. He actually cares for us, and it's super sweet!

And with that... we head off to the police station, to face our fate. Which we do with the expected level of grace and elegance. We head to the toilet and high five the weird handpainting, and leave the safety of our world and head off into the darkness of the Outside, take our first steps into the Z Syndicate headquarters, and begin the attack!

But that'll be for next time. Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you guys then.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Not much to comment on, since it's mostly just a transition scene, but... man, that is a lot of unique lines of dialogue to get through before a Game Over. I'm impressed, but also that is totally the level of polish I've come to expect from the writing here.Science Bench.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, an episode with no fights!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #270
    Bugbear in the Playground

They really didn't want you to accidentally get that nonstandard game-over, did they?