New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lightbulb Predictions for book 7

Given that we are just a few pages into what will be book 7 I thought it could be fun to have a thread with all the predictions we have regarding what will happen in this book. That way we can all look back on this thread once it is finished to get a snapshot of what we thought at the time, and what we thought was important at the time.

* This book will conclude the webcomic.

* Belkar will die.

* Monster in the Darkness will leave the darkness.

* The nature of the planet within the Rift will be explained.

* The IFCC will use their remaining control of Vaarsuvius, and unlike the previous time they will actually make them an active participant in the plot.

* There will be a confrontation between some entity angry with Vaarsuvius' familicide spell and Vaarsuvius.

* The one-page-appearance character that turns out to be an ally is one of the voices that we heard at the last page of book 6.

* The final confrontation with Xykon will be in his astral fortress.

* Xykon will find out about Redcloak's duplicitous nature, killing him.

* Xykon will ultimately be defeated.

* The circle of the planet dying and being recreated by the gods will be broken.

* Eugene will get to enter the LG afterlife, only to discover that he honestly isn't happy there.

Also, one far out there theory:

* The order will end up on the planet in the Rift, where they will discover that various characters that have died during the course of the comic have ended up.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Predictions for book 7

* The Last gate will be destroyed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Prediction:

*The book/webcomic will either end with Elan and Haley marrying (and all the protags in attendance), Roy and Celia marrying and visiting Celestia, or the Stick grouped around one of Sigdi's family dinners.

*O-Chul will die.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

• We will find out Haley's secret
    • Tarquin's empire is overthrown
    • We find out what Roy's Archon's quest is
    • We find out why the Order of the Scribble broke up
    • Belkar will save Hinjo's life a second time

Oh, and
      Spoiler
      Show
      Will the MitD eat Redcloak when he inevitably turns against Xykon?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I predict that not all the plot threads will be completely resolved. Xykon will be defeated, and the Snarl contained, but not all of the sub-plots. At the end the Stick will split up, with various members following their own quests.
    Elan and Haley will set off on a quest to defeat Tarquin. Possibly with Thog as party fighter.
    V and Belkar will set off on a quest for redemption. Possibly with Minrah.
    Durkon will go back home.
    Roy, I don't know, maybe he'll go back to the Azurites.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

-There will be two fights between the Order and Team Evil, one outside the Tomb (second IFCC intervention happens here) and one at the Gate

-The Tomb battle is won thanks to the aid of Hinjo, some Azurites, and one of the four nations they sought aid from (the one-page important ally)

-The breakup of the Order of the Scribble is revealed to be connected to the Snarl Cycle (a Doylist explanation for why we never learned what broke them up until now)

-The battle at the Gate is a free-for-all between the Order, Team Evil, and the IFCC and whatever their artifact is. The IFCC is defeated, but not before weakening everyone, including the Gate, and destroying Xykon's body. Redcloak destroys his holy symbol, killing Xykon.

-The IFCC breaks their own rules and actually possesses V, but before they can either tempt Redcloak or just destroy the Gate themselves, Belkar kills possessed V, probably at the cost of his life

-Durkon explains to Redcloak the Quiddity resolution to the Snarl. Redcloak communes with The Dark One, who tells him to do this. Redcloak can't handle abandoning The Plan after his whole life and all that he's done in the service of It, snaps, and destroys the last gate

-I honestly don't know how things get resolved from here, maybe the Snarl has been attacking assuming the the gods want to kill it and its planet?

-Roy defies Fate itself as the Order (and the MitD) flee the collapsing tomb, saving Belkar's corpse to resurrect him afterwards. The Oracle is shown to have quit during the denouement, unable to handle even a single blemish on their previously 1.000 batting average

-Tarquin is defeated off-screen and without explanation, even in bonus strips. What better way to defeat a story-obsessed villain?

If even half of this is correct I will be stunned.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Soup du Jour View Post
    -Tarquin is defeated off-screen and without explanation, even in bonus strips. What better way to defeat a story-obsessed villain?
    That's what I've been assuming is going to happen.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I predict the IFCC will attempt a ritual on the material plane, which will be warded from any good characters (Xykon will be destroyed but in his phylactery, and Redcloak dead). Belkar will get his ring of jumping back from Roy, and leap at them, throwing a rock(after a few panels of "no, don't do it!" and maybe Belkar cutting off a finger for Durkon to raise with). Belkar dies, one of the IFCC reads the rock which has a version of "I can/did not fail" written on it in Explosive Runes. Explosion disrupts the ritual, killing the IFCC. Belkar gets to go to a Good afterlife(Valhalla?) for his sacrifice, but may not be welcomed back if he accepts a raise. Oots raises RC, Durkon and Elan talk RC into plan, and RC gives up Xykon to Roy.

I love going with the long shot predictions. Lots of final callbacks and a good reason to leave Belkar dead now that he's trending towards repentance.
    I reserved the right to be wrong. I just try not to exercise it.

Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    That's what I've been assuming is going to happen.
    Yep. personally, i'm picturing, in the epilogue, a random newspaper in the background reading "EMPIRES OF BLOOD, SWEAT, AND TEARS OVERTHROWN: UNKNOWN GENERAL KILLED IN CROSSFIRE."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Yep. personally, i'm picturing, in the epilogue, a random newspaper in the background reading "EMPIRES OF BLOOD, SWEAT, AND TEARS OVERTHROWN: UNKNOWN GENERAL KILLED IN CROSSFIRE."
    I mean, that could easily be Tarquin getting a Spartacus to change things up, and that’s not necessarily the Blood General.
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2020-04-26 at 04:06 PM.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

My predictions are:

Redcloak agrees to help the Order, seals the Gate, and is killed by Xykon, in that order.

V will attempt to save the planet in the rift as atonement for his earlier genocide. This may or may not be fatal.

12. - Top - End - #12

MindFlayer

Other than stuff already mentioned:

• Hel obviously loses the vote
    • Redcloak turns on Xykon. Monster in the dark swallows Redcloak, but spits him out because Ochul asks him.
    • Curly will show up at the north pole trying to take Redcloak's place as a divine caster for the ritual. Probably going with Xykon to his astral fortress to do their thing.
    • The 1 appearance character will be a hobgoblin from Oona's tribe (seen in Thor's explanation on how the gods depend on mortals)
    • Bloodfest will be restored to his true form. Most likely in a battle of Belkar vs Oona.
    • We find out what happened to cause the Scribbles to fight with each other
    • Tarquin or at least Miron make an appearance. No way is that cliffhanger in the desert remains unmentioned.
    • The Oracle will appear in some form or another at least 1 more time.
    • We've definitely not seen the last of Julia either as the whole piggybacking on the oath thing has to lead somewhere.
    • Hinjo will also join the action due to the Belkar issue.
    • Haley's adamantite dagger will come into play.
    • Lirian and Dorukon will be released from Xykon's soul gem. Possibly maybe the two of them do something with the gate? They are a pair of divine and arcane casters.

As far as epilogue goes, the big question is if the OotS as a party stays together or not. For individual stories the answer is most likely they go their separate ways. But... It could go the other way around as well.
    • Roy - Destroys Xykon and finally gets respect from his father. If he doesn't keep adventuring, he's likely to become a teacher for a new generation.
    • Elan and Haley get married. Unlikely to continue to adventure (assuming the party splits up). Most likely running some B&B where Elan entertains people with stories while Haley swindles them somehow.
    • Belkar dies. What about Bloodfeast and Scruffy is a good question. Maybe Hinjo adopts them? Scruffy was his uncle's cat after all.
    • Durkon goes home and we see him co-raising Kudzo while arguing with his mom about regenerating her arm.
    • V is a tough one. We know they still care about their mate so I would guess that they'd go back and try to patch things with them. However, they can't possibly not atone (or at least try to atone) for the familicide. So V might actually do that during the story. Maybe get access to some godlike power (the IFCC artifact?) and restores dragons back to life?
      If they do, then they are most likely be the one to retire from adventure and stop completely their pursuit of power.
    • Jirix and Hinjo sign a peace treaty. Gobotppia is recognized as a nation and goblins start getting their proper respect. Redcloak's fate is a tough one. I'd wager him to die, but Thor hinted that he might be needed for future welding
    • Bandana will show up as a captain by her own right. Maybe her and Julio show up with different crew in Haley and Elan's wedding?

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

P.S

Monster in the Dark goes with O-Chul of course.
    If he is something... shall we say not really celestial in nature, it would be part of the Saphire Guard changing their ways and accepting other species.

On second thought, maybe Redcloak survives and decides to retire and stay in the North Pole?
    The talk with Oona made it seem like the Dark One isn't a big deal in the north and Redcloak could go preach there.

I just don't see it likely that Redcloak stays in Gobtoppia as that would lower Jirix's standing and I'm guessing they are going to make a point of the two NPCs (Jirix and Hinjo) working things out.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

We'll see more of the Vector Legion.

No one goes to Xykon's fortress.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bedinsis View Post
    * There will be a confrontation between some entity angry with Vaarsuvius' familicide spell and Vaarsuvius.
    Tiamat already vented her spleen to the IFCC. This I don't see being in book 7. V beginning a "rest of my life long" quest for atonement will be in a closing panel. The divorce papers were already signed back in book 6; (or was it book 5? need to go back and check) not seeing V and Inky getting back together. (which saddens me)

* The circle of the planet dying and being recreated by the gods will be broken.
    That would be cool.

* Eugene will get to enter the LG afterlife, only to discover that he honestly isn't happy there.
    Eugene isn't happy anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    *O-Chul will die.
    I'd not like to see that, but if fits who he is and what he is to a T; his death will be part of something epic happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    [LIST][*]We find out why the Order of the Scribble broke up
    Yes, that seems to be a necessary puzzle piece to finally have on the table.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-04-27 at 08:23 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I'd not like to see that, but if fits who he is and what he is to a T; his death will be part of something epic happening.
    I actually think its more likely for Lien to die, or at least to some big heroic paladin thing that should kill her but miraculously she is able to survive. There was a thing last book about O-Chul out paladining her by being perfect, and while I'm not gonna call it an arc unless its fulfilled, her managing to out paladin O-Chul (presumably by saving his life) would fit that.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

Tiamat already vented her spleen to the IFCC. This I don't see being in book 7. V beginning a "rest of my life long" quest for atonement will be in a closing panel. The divorce papers were already signed back in book 6; (or was it book 5? need to go back and check) not seeing V and Inky getting back together. (which saddens me)
    But we saw V looking and Inky's image at the start of book 6. I don't see much point in that unless it's a clear way of showing us V still cares.
    More than just "everyone care about their exes"

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald
    I actually think its more likely for Lien to die, or at least to some big heroic paladin thing that should kill her but miraculously she is able to survive. There was a thing last book about O-Chul out paladining her by being perfect, and while I'm not gonna call it an arc unless its fulfilled, her managing to out paladin O-Chul (presumably by saving his life) would fit that.
    Didn't think of that... It's actually a pretty good one.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Didn't think of that... It's actually a pretty good one.
    To be I didn’t think of it until sometime between KorvinStarmast’s post and my post so you aren’t much behind
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

EDIT: I no longer stand by what I said in this post. It will only be preserved for the sake of keeping the resulting discussion understandable.

My prediction was mostly based on the fact that I've found the fallout from the familicide disappointing. They murdered a quarter of an entire subspecies of sapient creatures whose only "crime" was being related to one another. Even if the monster manual says that they are Evil that should only work on a societal level, not an individual level, and that is something the comic has yet to address.

Or no, wait, I am partly lying. There has been an address. With the death of the Draketooth family, Vaarsuvius got to confront what they had done. My problem with that address is that it can be read as the problem being that the black dragons could be related to creatures that are not Evil, and therefore using the familicide spell was Evil. Thinking that way would however mean that had only black dragons died it would've not been Evil. What about the black dragons that had never done anything wrong? Therefore I find it disappointing, in particular since I believe that this is Redcloak's motivation: even if his kind is listed as Evil they still deserve the sanctity of life all sapient creatures deserve.

I don't know why you brought up Vaarsuvius' divorce; that had nothing with my prediction to do. Unless you wanted to make a prediction on your own and the answer sufficed as a segway.
    Last edited by Bedinsis; 2020-04-29 at 09:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

My prediction was mostly based on the fact that I've found the fallout from the familicide disappointing. They murdered a quarter of an entire subspecies of sapient creatures whose only "crime" was being related to one another. Even if the monster manual says that they are Evil that should only work on a societal level, not an individual level, and that is something the comic has yet to address.

Or no, wait, I am partly lying. There has been an address. With the death of the Draketooth family, Vaarsuvius got to confront what they had done. My problem with that address is that it can be read as the problem being that the black dragons could be related to creatures that are not Evil, and therefore using the familicide spell was Evil. Thinking that way would however mean that had only black dragons died it would've not been Evil. What about the black dragons that had never done anything wrong?
    You mean what V specifically addressed in panels 7 through 9?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-04-27 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Miscounted the panel
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You mean what V specifically addressed in panels 7 through 9?
    Yes, something like that. Only actually reinforced in the plot of the comic, not just V having a conversation with their familiar. Actions speak louder than words.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, yeah, Rich setting it up like that way in advance fits any number of things he's done. Betting the over. (Grr, I don't want Lien to die. But that would be epic)
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

23. - Top - End - #23

Yes, something like that. Only actually reinforced in the plot of the comic, not just V having a conversation with their familiar. Actions speak louder than words.
    V's words on realizing that led to V's actions of completely changing how V's attitude and how V acts. Like, I'm not sure what else would satisfy what you're looking for, other than maybe V dying?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

V's words on realizing that led to V's actions of completely changing how V's attitude and how V acts. Like, I'm not sure what else would satisfy what you're looking for, other than maybe V dying?
    An external entity reinforcing the message. Someone who has actually had to suffer due to V's actions.

25. - Top - End - #25

An external entity reinforcing the message. Someone who has actually had to suffer due to V's actions.
    ...the Draketooths were an external entity that enforced the message, though. They suffered due to V's actions. V being confronted with this caused V to completely re-evaluate their actions and make major changes going forward.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

...the Draketooths were an external entity that enforced the message, though. They suffered due to V's actions. V being confronted with this caused V to completely re-evaluate their actions and make major changes going forward.
    They were dead. Their perspective were not heard. They did not perform any actions. And once again one can read their suffering as "familicide against Evil creatures is Evil because they could be related to not-Evil creatures". The fact that V does not take it as that is commendable, but I still find the result of a protagonist doing something capital E Evil being that they "learn a lesson" too weak when they have done something capital E Evil.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

They were dead. Their perspective were not heard. They did not perform any actions. And once again one can read their suffering as "familicide against Evil creatures is Evil because they could be related to not-Evil creatures". The fact that V does not take it as that is commendable, but I still find the result of a protagonist doing something capital E Evil being that they "learn a lesson" too weak when they have done something capital E Evil.
    This was already resolved. Just because it wasn't resolved in the exact narrowly defined method which will be acceptable to you doesn't mean it's going to get resolved again. It happened, it wasn't the way you wanted it to happen, deal with it.

28. - Top - End - #28

Then again, I'm not quite sure what you want. V was faced with repercussions of their actions - one of which was that they fundamentally removed the defenses against one of the pillars holding creation from tearing itself apart. The perspective of the Draketooths was heard, in the form of "we are all dead at your hand because of your hubris and your assumptions and your "hulk smash" cavalier attitude towards problems." They did not need to perform any actions, because by just showing themselves to all have died en masse, suddenly, in the middle of normal life, with a family tree on the wall connecting all the dots, was action enough. V was confronted with the enormity of their crime, with consequences far more dire than they would have ever thought, which put the very fabric of the world at risk. This was further reinforced when V was able to hear Roy et al talk about the necessity of destroying the Gate due to the defenses being completely stripped and the Order being woefully unprepared to take on Team Evil in their circumstances, entirely due to V's action (though unknown to the Order). V's crime was then even further reinforced when their only hope to stop it was immediately aborted by V's faustian payment being remanded, with the reminder that there are two more payments which will be garnished whenever the creditors decide.

If you want a dragon to show up and say, "Vaarsuvius, I am the great dragon Nomenignobilis. You have slain my mate and child. Behold my anguish!" [dragon anguishes], then I can't say with absolute certainty, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. V has been confronted with the enormity of their crime. V has taken that message to heart. V has changed. I really don't know what would be accomplished by whatever you want to happen. How would it change V in any way? If it wouldn't, what's the purpose of it?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-04-27 at 02:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

If you want a dragon to show up and say, "Vaarsuvius, I am the great dragon Nomenignobilis. You have slain my mate and child. Behold my anguish!" [dragon anguishes],
    A dragon already did that. It initially unloaded their anguish on V, and then, being an evil black dragon, upped the ante by heading to V's home and beginning to torture two children. Revenge, but the dragon forgot to dig two graves before heading out in her revenge mission.

V killed that dragon, and with V heading toward some pretty deep evil, upped the ante by doing that familicide thing. The rest you have covered nicely, as have others.

For a subsequent dragon to show up, and to furthr up the ante, would require that this ancient dragon kill all elves. Or try to.

I don't think Rich is going there. He's already covered the "I'll kill you and everyone who looks like you" theme sufficiently that he has other topics to explore.

30. - Top - End - #30

A dragon already did that.
    Ya know, I was thinking entirely post-familicide, so it didn't even occur to me that I was practically describing that exact scene already!