New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default Starting Your Players at Higher Levels

Hello! So, I'm planting a campaign and have been toying around with the idea of starting my players above level 1, specifically at level 3. I was just wondering, how good of an idea is this? What are the pros and cons? Does it add to the game or does it take away? Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Starting Your Players at Higher Levels

It only takes away if your players enjoy level 1-2 play or if they need it to learn how their characters' abilities work (mostly for new players, sometimes for more experienced players trying something very different). I've started several games at level 3, and they play very well despite not playing out the very beginning of the heroes' tales.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Starting at level 3 is fine in my opinion. It doesn't feel as lethal as level 1 (which is fun, don't get me wrong) and your players can define their characters a bit more since they'll all have their subclasses online by then. It's still low enough level though that you can have quite mundane things like zombies or bandits who feel like legitimate threats, and the PCs still have to be quite careful about conserving resources.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

I’d base it off of player experience. Levels 1-2 are so short in terms of table time that they really just serve to introduce the game. Experienced players can easily just jump in at level 3.

I prefer to start at Level 1 because I’m in the apparently minority opinion that 5e is actually overly complicated at level 1, but there are a lot of benefits to starting at level 3. One of them is the ability to reach higher levels earlier in the narrative and before burn-out/boredom sets in.

The only reason I’d say no is if I thought players would lose the ability to play optimally out-of-the-gate because they were unaware of all of their characters’ abilities.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I start all of my games at level 3, because I want the characters to start off past the "trainee" phase, which 1 and 2 really are. My players all really appreciate that, and they've done the same when they run. It works great. I often toss an extra 50 gold at them for the few levels, but it's not really necessary

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I generally do this for experienced players. The early levels (1-5) are really the training-wheel levels, and for people who've played for a long time, unless the setting specifically calls for them to be complete and total adventure noobs, I'll start players at level 3-5. Otherwise I just end up blowing through the levels so quickly with experienced players they might as well have skipped them anyway.

So, I'd say if your players are experienced in the system, go for it.

If its just that the game you're looking at running is a little harder than usual, I'd try to figure out how to include some more starter-level content than start players higher up.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Last summer I had a couple of "brand new to D&D" players; I started them at L1. A couple of the people I game with have difficulty paying attention, so I might start them at L1 just so they can ease into the class. For my players who have been with me for years, I'd start at 3 minimum, probably 5 or 6 (6 so you can do 5+1 multiclass).

However, if you're not that experienced as a DM, you may want to start them at L1. If I did that, I'd probably give them some extra hit points.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Myrmidon View Post
    I start all of my games at level 3, because I want the characters to start off past the "trainee" phase, which 1 and 2 really are. My players all really appreciate that, and they've done the same when they run. It works great. I often toss an extra 50 gold at them for the few levels, but it's not really necessary
    Same here. The first level or two just feel too limited-- you don't have all your defining class features, what abilities you do have you can't use often enough to be fun, and there's not really enough room on the GM side to build interesting encounters without overwhelming the party. Level 3 is still plenty low enough to kick off a zero-to-hero storyline.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I think 3rd-level is a great place to start if you already have played for while. Everyone will be starting with their archetype and have unique abilities.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Level 3 is a good place to start. Everyone has their subclass. Spellcasters have fun with 1st level spells and conserve 2nd level spells for special moments. Sorcerers get metamagic. Warlocks get their Pact invocation instead of having to waste 2nd level with one they don't want to trade up. Warriors have the hit points to be in melee. Players have the fun of being what their class is supposed to be. Crits from monsters are still nasty, but it's no longer one crit, or even one regular hit, your character is dead. It's a comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think 4th level is the best place to start. There are two main things that can define a character from an early level (other than race and class) - subclass and important feats. 4th level lets players start with both of these - essentially putting their style in place. Sure there are some weird multiclass things that won't work but you can accommodate 90% of character differentiation at this level. You are simple enough to pick up but have enough HP that one single unlucky roll of the dice is not likely to TPK the party. Level 5 is a big step up and is just round the corner so you start your campaign off with a heightened level of anticipation.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Level 3 is a good starting point. Less swingy and everyone has their subclass. I think it's a common starting level.

13. - Top - End - #13

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Just make sure you give them ample opportunities for RP.

14. - Top - End - #14

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Level 3 is a good starting point. Less swingy and everyone has their subclass. I think it's a common starting level.
    Depending on players and setting, I've started my games at either Level 3 or Level 5. Only our first 5e campaign started at Level 1.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

I generally also recommend starting at level 3, where everyone has their subclass so you are not just any barbarian, but a ancestral guardian for example. Makes you much more distinct flavor wise.

The only trade-off I can think of is that it can be nice to incorporate getting your subclass into the story. For example for a paladin to be directly addressed by a god to come into their service, and pledge their oath in roleplay rather than off-screen at some level up. So if you don't run a player-focused game, just start at level 3, otherwise it might be something to consider if you want to tie someones background/subclass into the story in a more direct manner.
    Subjectivity is implied in all posts.

Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game. Soren Johnson's Game Design Journal

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

I wanted to thank everyone for the responses, I like knowing that I have chosen a good starting point that for players who aren't brand new helps the game. Thanks again for your feedback!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Techcaliber View Post
    Hello! So, I'm planting a campaign and have been toying around with the idea of starting my players above level 1, specifically at level 3. I was just wondering, how good of an idea is this? What are the pros and cons? Does it add to the game or does it take away? Thanks in advance.
    Only time I start people off at level 1 is if they ask for it, or they're new to D&D, otherwise I'm starting them off at 3 to 5. Level 1 and 2 can get boring as a player and DM.

18. - Top - End - #18

I often start my players at level 5, it gives more space for players to realize their character concept. I've yet to have problems, though it can mean that new players might require a bit of assistance putting everything together.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I start my players at level 3 with 900xp "debt" that must be earned back before any further advancement. This allows characters to be played to subclass/concept pretty immediately, smooths out the swinginess of low-level combat, and gives them a few sessions to internalize their mechanics before things start to change. We like it.

20. - Top - End - #20

DruidGirl

I actually go out of my way to avoid dnd games that start out at lvl 1 these days. I'd prefer to start at lvl 3, which is when things start getting a bit more interesting for all classes, and also when I get into a fight at 3rd lvl, I actually feel like I lose based on my mistakes, and 1st and 2nd lvl a few errant die rolls can screw you pretty hard, where is by 3rd lvl you have enough health and options to mitigate low rolls and contribute decently all the time.

Not to mention starting at higher levels is just more fun since a lot of campaigns never get much higher than around lvl 10 if you start at lvl 1

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Level 3 is my go-to for most 3.x and 5e games.

Level 1 was playable in 4e, and I didn't know any better back in oD&D / 1e days.

22. - Top - End - #22

PaladinGuy

I (unlike other people here i guess) prefer to start things at level 1. I greatly enjoy the zero-to-hero aspect, as well as being reasonably able to run scenarios or set pieces that work best at those levels before moving on. It also represents a relatively larger part of a 1-10 or 1-13 game, which is what i prefer to aim for.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernPhoenix View Post
    I (unlike other people here i guess) prefer to start things at level 1. I greatly enjoy the zero-to-hero aspect, as well as being reasonably able to run scenarios or set pieces that work best at those levels before moving on. It also represents a relatively larger part of a 1-10 or 1-13 game, which is what i prefer to aim for.
    We get the zero-to-hero aspect from the story, not really from the mechanics, IMO.

Though in my games, it's usually zero-to-still pretty much zero. Heroes are propaganda, everyone dies the same under the devastation of artillery. ;)

Anyway, I like to start people around level 5. It gives them options, and most importantly is when extra attack is online for martials and level 3 spells are online for casters, so they feel different and special to their players.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2020-05-05 at 03:25 PM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

24. - Top - End - #24

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post
    We get the zero-to-hero aspect from the story, not really from the mechanics, IMO.

Though in my games, it's usually zero-to-still pretty much zero. Heroes are propaganda, everyone dies the same under the devastation of artillery. ;)

Anyway, I like to start people around level 5. It gives them options, and most importantly is when extra attack is online for martials and level 3 spells are online for casters, so they feel different and special to their players.
    I get the impression you run a very different kind of game than what is generally expected...

25. - Top - End - #25

In my current campaign, I've started two players into the group mid-game. They had no significant loss, despite starting at level 12. Starting at level 3 shouldn't be an issue, and it helps avoid the early game hyper-squish. Do with this what you will.
    When I ask how to get a nail out of piece of wood, please don't tell me why screws are better fastners.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Roc-rocks fall fall and everybody dies-dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftafp View Post
    Acid comes in a burlap sack, arrows come in a vase
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Newton's 3rd law of motion seems to apply in 5e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Weaponized chickens will be fed ball bearings. When ready to use, feed them a potion of alche-seltzer, then toss at enemy. Cruel, but effective.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernPhoenix View Post
    I get the impression you run a very different kind of game than what is generally expected...
    It was a joke. I can count the number of times I've shelled my PC's with heavy artillery on one hand [and it goes without saying that I haven't killed any of them with heavy artillery. I've only killed 3 PC's, and all were killed the plot or by their own actions [or both]].

That said, "Heroic" is not an adjective I would apply to any of my players. Maybe "Incompetent", or "Asset for the Other Side", or "Every Time We're Off The Main Plot, Cities Get Burned Down". They seem to revel in this distinction, too.

27. - Top - End - #27

Level 1
    Pros: a humble beggining, can start close to being a commoner. Your story is just beginning.
    Survival is less trivial. Later most of the perils of just surviving the outside (bear attacks, finding water and food, starting a fire) can be easily skipped with spells. Here you can have a section of wilderness survival that feels like an adventure.
    Players can pick their favored enemy/terrain or subclass depending on what has happened actively in the campaign.
    Can be more humbling starting so fragile, sometimes avoids players getting cocky ("We're like gods, it'll be fine" mindset)

Level 3
    pros: less swingy. Enemies are less likely to steam roll them.
    They can have more of a past adventuring, a story that already started. Old enemies and friends that are adventurers too. A more expansive backstory.
    They have their trademark thing (subclass)
    More impressive enemies

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

I definitely prefer starting on level 3. I just had an introductory encounter that would've been a TPK had the party been level 1 (even scaled down to level). Of course, if you're into AD&D style "character sheets fly off the table and new ones come in", that's not a problem but if the players put a lot of effort into their characters, it'll feel kinda lousy to just die the first encounter where dice happen to go bad (which is 1st level in a tin can). Level 3 gives them some leeway and also avoids the awkwardness of most classes not having their subclass yet leaving your arcane rogue without arcane and your swords/valor bard without weapon/armor proficiencies and such.

Generally the first 3 levels give you what makes the class feel like itself: Druids get their Wildshape and spells, Barbarians get their Reckless Attack and Totem, Rogues get their Cunning Action and archetype, Bards get their Inspiration and their "class-specific" use for it, everyone has all their proficiencies, etc. A level 3 character finally feels "whole" while many level 1-2 characters can be missing some extremely key abilities that make their class what it is: what's a Warlock without a Pact or Invocations? Or a Monk without Ki and their supernatural quickness? Sorcerer without metamagic is hardly a Sorcerer as well, and what's a Paladin that can't Smite?

There's a place for level 1 but I'd rather those characters be cheap pregens, the game be a one-shot or perhaps a "characters in training"-kind of deal. Level 3 is a better grounds for a longer duration campaign with more serious and well-developed characters.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2020-05-06 at 01:59 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.