New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

Jeph has evidently decided to introduce reverse-aging or some sort of time-distortion effect to Clinton, that might be the next strange arc, or maybe it will be about age discrimination.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

How white does one have to be that they can't even draw someone dabbing properly?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    How white does one have to be that they can't even draw someone dabbing properly?
    He probably wanted to show Renee's gleeful expression, which you wouldn't be able to see with a proper dab. It's also possible that he sketched out the proper dab and decided it looked silly.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Bugbear in the Playground

Umm, how white do I have to be that I don't know what dabbing is?

Or rather, how behind-the-times, since I'm zero percent white? (100% Chinese heritage.)

Edit: According to Merriam-Webster, referenced in songs starting 2015, made Urban Dictionary that year. So, err, just a bit out of touch with American pop culture, then.

Edit edit: I actually did recognise the move, but not the name. I thought it was referring to anime, hadn't realised it's recently been reappropriated. Wikipedia says it's been called the Sentai move in Japan since the 1970s.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2020-08-10 at 07:02 AM.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean
    The pose that Renee is striking in panel 4 - one arm pointing upward, and the other one bent to cover her face? That's called a dab. The young people use it as a sort of salute to express anything from celebration to an insult against a rival.

I work in a school which caters to 16+ year olds, and even among them it's now mostly done ironically because it's out of fashion, so why 20-something year old Renee thinks she can pull it off is beyond me.

Possibly it's another symptom of 40 year old Jeph trying to represent 'young people' and missing the mark. Possibly it is I who is the decrepit old grouch. Damn kids and their Hip and Hop music, get off my lawn, no respect for elders, etc etc...
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-08-10 at 07:03 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post

Or rather, how behind-the-times, since I'm zero percent white? (100% Chinese heritage.)
    Dabbing is a move where you hold your arms out, head height and at a slight upwards angle. Quickly dip your head into the crook of your elbow while moving your hands to the opposite side.

It expresses gleeful celebration, and is particularly associated with signaling victory over an opponent in a (slightly) disrespectful way. It's like saying "you just got owned".

Hilariously, the picture in the Wikipedia article for dabbing is even less dab-like than Renee's in today's comic.

7. - Top - End - #427

Is/was dabbing particularly a non-white thing? I'm largely unaware of where the trend came from.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Is/was dabbing particularly a non-white thing? I'm largely unaware of where the trend came from.
    I mainly know what it is from when a QB was doing it to celebrate touchdowns.

Even when he was losing badly.

Because evidently showing off is more important than the fact that you've thrown multiple interceptions and put your team in an insurmountable hole.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    The majority of American pop culture- especially trends related to music and slang- is cribbed from its non-white population.

The dab has been around in some form for ages, but it's current popularity- and name- come from it being featured as a dance in a song by a rap/trap group called the Migos.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I mainly know what it is from when a QB was doing it to celebrate touchdowns.

Even when he was losing badly.

Because evidently showing off is more important than the fact that you've thrown multiple interceptions and put your team in an insurmountable hole.
    That sounds like exactly when one would need to get your fan's and teammate's morale up.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    That sounds like exactly when one would need to get your fan's and teammate's morale up.
    It just comes across as caring more about self-aggrandizement than the game.

At least today's strip title is funny.

Spoiler
    Show
    George RR Martian

Also, I almost want to read this series that Clinton is talking about, but I'm pretty sure it's fiction-in-fiction and doesn't exist.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

damnit..it's true..but now every time i see renee that will be the picture that pops into my head
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

13. - Top - End - #433
    Colossus in the Playground

So, when exactly did Brun become the world's most eligible bachelor.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #434

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

It just comes across as caring more about self-aggrandizement than the game.
    I guess I've already internalized the notion that professional sports are are performative art as much as they are an athletic competition, and the showrunners have long incentivized in their players the framework that, while it is better to win than lose, the most important part is that you be notable, and make a lot of people either very happy or very angry. From the perspective of who signs the checks, such players are doing things exactly right.

At least today's strip title is funny.

Spoiler
    Show
    George RR Martian

Also, I almost want to read this series that Clinton is talking about, but I'm pretty sure it's fiction-in-fiction and doesn't exist.
    Probably, although I am always surprised. Gunnerkrig Court just recently made a in-universe reference to an anime, and my immediate response was, 'is this something about which everyone reading is supposed to already know?'

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    To be fair, it's only three (Clint, Millie, and Elliot, right? I'm not forgetting anyone?). I remember my early 20s, and it certainly wasn't unheard of for a given social circle to have one person in it upon which at least 3 people were crushing.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

I guess I've already internalized the notion that professional sports are are performative art as much as they are an athletic competition, and the showrunners have long incentivized in their players the framework that, while it is better to win than lose, the most important part is that you be notable, and make a lot of people either very happy or very angry. From the perspective of who signs the checks, such players are doing things exactly right.
    Whereas just about everything associated with that "performative art" goes on the lists of things that have eroded by interest in sports, interwoven with the way the leagues are always so thirsty for the "casual fan" and are willing to flip the bird at actual fans of the sport or of particular teams if that's what it takes to get those "casual fans".

Probably, although I am always surprised. Gunnerkrig Court just recently made a in-universe reference to an anime, and my immediate response was, 'is this something about which everyone reading is supposed to already know?'
    I can't find any reference to "Grand Deimos Palace" being a real thing.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I can't find any reference to "Grand Deimos Palace" being a real thing.
    That's a shame, because I would totally read a high-stakes political drama set in a space opera, from the perspective of a naive girl getting thrown into the den of lions that is royal court intrigue.

For that matter, I'd probably have read some of the other fake stories Jeph has come up with. I've always thought Antoinette Banemoon sounded like a rollicking good time as long as it was written with a wink to how ridiculous the premise is.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    That's a shame, because I would totally read a high-stakes political drama set in a space opera, from the perspective of a naive girl getting thrown into the den of lions that is royal court intrigue.
    Then I would recomend 'A Memory Called Empire,' by Arkady Martine.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

That AI is so tired of being in a webcomic.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Whereas just about everything associated with that "performative art" goes on the lists of things that have eroded by interest in sports,
    Preach it!

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Is "pork" still used as a slang verb for acts of intercourse?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Is "pork" still used as a slang verb for acts of intercourse?
    Its recognized as such. I dont think many people on the east coast use it terribly often.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #443

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Its recognized as such. I dont think many people on the east coast use it terribly often.
    Maybe a bunch of hipster mass youngins would use it to show how nonstandard they are. "Its an old phrase, you wouldnt have heard of it."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Maybe a bunch of hipster mass youngins would use it to show how nonstandard they are. "Its an old phrase, you wouldnt have heard of it."
    If youre under the age of about 28 but over 15, i think "this is an euphemism for sex" is kind of the standard assumption when you dont know what something means in context. Or when you do, for that matter.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

If youre under the age of about 28 but over 15, i think "this is an euphemism for sex" is kind of the standard assumption when you dont know what something means in context. Or when you do, for that matter.
    I was just wondering if that's where her mind was when she got the meat wrong...

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh, I didn't realize Ship Confirmed had a sound effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Has Clinton always been the shorter sibling?

28. - Top - End - #448

Has Clinton always been the shorter sibling?
    I thought they were identical twins, you know, aside from the gender change. Its been so long since they both were introduced I dunno.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I thought they were identical twins, you know, aside from the gender change. Its been so long since they both were introduced I dunno.
    No pretty sure they're a few years apart with Claire being the older sibling.

Ah yeah here, found it: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2281

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    No pretty sure they're a few years apart with Claire being the older sibling.

Ah yeah here, found it: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2281
    In my defense, im hardly the only one who thinks so. :p I remember claire mentioning he was younger but I thought it was one of those "you are 2 hours younger, thus you are the baby in the family" type of things.