Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Now, 10K a month is a 120K a year salary, which isn't bad for being paid to play video games, but it is not a stupidly large amount of money
    Yes, it is a stupidly large amount of money. By a gigantic number of people's standards. Nobody I know makes even 25k a year, and that's just normal around here. If I could make 120k a year, or even half of that, it would be completely life-changing. I could afford an actual education, real food, and a house I won't have to move out of within 3 years because it's collapsing. It is absolutely bizarre to see someone brush off that much money as more or less "not that much".

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Good points on the lack of buildup and suddenness of this delvelopment.

Given the way Jeph has done other story lines, I say flip a coin on whether this becomes a heavy-handed finger wag about how being wealthy is evil.
    What annoys me the most is that there's a fairly lengthy storyline here. If we kept revisiting it a few strips at a time it would have been a welcome diversion from...whatever the heck the current story is.

1)Marigold decides to try streaming. There's some tension over her starting it as her friends point out (correctly) that she doesn't have the sort of personality suitable for streaming. She decides to do it anyway.

2) We see some of her early attempts. Lots of potential humor in Marigold being Marigold while dealing with the sort of people you get on Twitch.

3) Marigold's channel isn't going anywhere. Dale offers up some honest advice, Marigold takes offense, Momo comes in to mediate. Marigold learns a lesson in accepting constructive criticism which she will promptly forget the next time it happens.

4) We check in with Marigold - she's taken the advice and is more outgoing on her stream and has swapped from obscure anime games to something more mainstream to drive her subscriber numbers up. The numbers aren't where she wants them yet and she has to be reassured by Hannelore that these things take time.

5) We hit today's comic - Hannelore knows that Marigold was worried about her numbers and concludes Marigold needs help budgeting if she's to keep streaming. Instead, something happened that made Marigold's stream go viral and she suddenly got a massive number of subscribers. What the event was makes a great joke all on its own.

-----

This is the sort of storyline I'd like to see from any number of the "retired" characters. Not serious relationship drama, but events in their lives which make a good story. It's not like it's impossible to do - the entire Something Positive cast are either married or in steady relationships at this point. It doesn't prevent regular check-ups on those characters from taking place.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Thinking about it, are disembodied AIs software or hardware? If there is a blackout, do such AIs die, or come back later?
    We've seen, with May, that AIs come back online as 'themselves' after running out of power. There might be some kind of loss ('my events-experienced files update minutely, but my thoughts and feelings log does so hourly. I remember going to CoD and getting tea right before the systems crash, but I don't remember if I liked it.'), but it wasn't expanded on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    I think Jeph just wants a vtuber storyline.
    This is the true state of affairs, of course. If he needs Marigold to be that small slice of streamers who makes it big, that's what will happen. Certainly no stranger than every other sitcom character suddenly trying a new career, thriving at it, and then losing it all within an episode.
    I have to agree with others that, realistically, Marigold would not have the personality, temperament, or comfort level to be a big deal streamer. Jeph is doing a 'I'm successful at this, and it is freaking me out' scenario, but the initial success does seem predicated on sitcom logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Also; this was like, a week to 10 days ago in-comic time. Marigold was so hard-up to find $100 to donate to May's body-fund that she was going to sell off some unique hentai out of her collection... despite apparently rolling in Hannelore-is-impressed amounts of money from her 200,000 Twitch subscribers. Just... bwuh?
    Again, sitcom. Individual 'episodes' are separated by unclear amounts of time. We've had ~20 years of strips taking place between the main cast being ~23-26 or so and... the main cast being ~23-26 or so.
    What was Marigold's income before, do we have any idea?
    Outside of NYC, San Fran, and a few other places with grossly bloated Cost of Living, 120k isa lot.
    120k is 90th percentile US income.
    We don't because we really don't know what the previous job was. 'Dad pays her to do website maintenance' -- is that a sysop or web developer. Is he paying her entry level (possibly to get her to eventually leave the nest) or more? Looks like entry level web developer is... holy cow $58k! I didn't realize it would be that low. Okay, so let's use that, and then the $10k.mo estimate. Despite being in an IT/STEM profession, Marigold is living the normal millennial lifestyle the rest of the cast are (potentially earning twice what some of them are, so by that measure is rolling high), and then stumbles into a gig where she earns twice as much. That's kind of a neat storyline, now that I think about it. Kinda reminds me of when Norm from Cheers got a gig as a beer taster.
    Edit(added):
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    [#1)-5)]]
    Yeas, that would probably be a better story. Or at least a different one. The way this one is set up, it is limiting itself to being 'a vignette' not unlike the Cheers episode I mentioned. More ongoing and developed sitcom plots (like Jill on Home Improvement going back to school or the various documentaries being worked on on Mad About You -- man I am really showing my age here) have more payoff.

Edit(added):
    Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Yes, it is a stupidly large amount of money. By a gigantic number of people's standards. Nobody I know makes even 25k a year, and that's just normal around here. If I could make 120k a year, or even half of that, it would be completely life-changing. I could afford an actual education, real food, and a house I won't have to move out of within 3 years because it's collapsing. It is absolutely bizarre to see someone brush off that much money as more or less "not that much".
    Okay, I swear this was posted in the meantime between when I started my reply and posted, and I did just note half of 120K/year as a surprisingly small amount. I think that showcases how much diversity of experience there is on these boards, but also is a good indicator why it makes sense that Jeph isn't showing us real dollar amounts.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-05-03 at 08:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed.

$120k/yr is roughly 90th percentile in US income.

$36k/yr is average individual income in the US.

Income vs cost of living across the US is hugely divergent, which is something that's missed in a lot of debates (not that we can debate them here). Adjusted for COL, an income of $50k/yr in San Fransisco CA is about equal to $17.5k/yr in a place like Grand Rapids MI -- poverty wage in one place (metro CA) is firmly middle-income in another (mid-size city in much of the rest of the US).

Half of $120k/yr is firmly middle-income in most of the US.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2021-05-03 at 09:22 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Nobody I know makes even 25k a year, and that's just normal around here.
    Where the heck do live?!? Are all of your acquaintances subsistence farmers or hunter-gathers or something? Shoot, I made $26,000 as an assistant manager of a fast food place 20 years ago. And that was in West Virginia, not exactly a place considered a high-income area.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Where the heck do live?!? Are all of your acquaintances subsistence farmers or hunter-gathers or something? Shoot, I made $26,000 as an assistant manager of a fast food place 20 years ago. And that was in West Virginia, not exactly a place considered a high-income area.
    $8/hr at 40 hours per week is $16640/yr.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    We've seen, with May, that AIs come back online as 'themselves' after running out of power. There might be some kind of loss ('my events-experienced files update minutely, but my thoughts and feelings log does so hourly. I remember going to CoD and getting tea right before the systems crash, but I don't remember if I liked it.'), but it wasn't expanded on.
    I imagine a system similar to a cell phone, or for older people the saved games on a video game cartridge. They need power from the system to run the game and play it and are otherwise inert, however on the inside they have a very small battery that does nothing but preserve the internal memory. Same way that your phone doesn't lose all of it's contact or apps when it dies from low battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    It would be weird, but its not entirely out of the question that some rich AI or something donated an improbably large amount within the last week or so, hence Marigold's "well what do i actually do with this?" issue. I personally dont know what twitch donations count as for the purposes of taxes, and i suspect Marigold may not either, so this is actually a genuine, if unlikely, problem that she would need actual professional (or at least educated) help for.
    Are you intentionally implying that Marigold might be rich because Yay Newfriend counted her as a charity case for a slice of the $2billion dollars they gave away, or is that just a coincidence?

And just because I was curious and wanted to look it up: Twitch donations are counted as variable income, just like gig work or tips for waiting tables, so they are taxed as are the monthly fee from subscribers, after Twitch has taken their cut. That cut varies depending on the streamer - particularly big names can negotiate their own contract - but typically it's about 50%.

So Marigold has 200k subscribers. Times by $2.50 - $500,000 per month - less tax (up to 37% in the USA) is over $300,000 per month. PLUS tips and extra donations, and not counting people on the $10 or $25 subscriptions. Easily $3.5million per year.

I don't think that Jeph did the maths on this before he wrote it into his script. Either that or he confused subscribers for followers, although Aurelia seemed pretty clear on the difference when she was talking about it.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-05-03 at 11:29 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Orc in the Playground

Median income (not median household income) in the state of New Mexico is just shy of 26k as of 2019. There are some poor states out there. Starting with a full-time (and as a bachelor), I'm well above standard median and not far below household median; and on top of that, I'm in a field that isn't doing too hot right now.

If I were to be more active socially in town, I'd find a lot of other single people in similar situations: not high on income but doing fine all things considered.

Granted, 25k in the northeast parts of the country is really only doable in the most rural of communities, so my kinda experience doesn't translate well to the comic setting.

9. - Top - End - #1389

Where the heck do live?!? Are all of your acquaintances subsistence farmers or hunter-gathers or something?
    We're mostly service/retail workers, stuck in sh**ty dead-end jobs at poverty wages, without much/any chance at upward mobility. And that's all I'll specify, because frankly your wording implies a really irritating tone and even if you don't intend it to, I still don't have the patience for it.

Shoot, I made $26,000 as an assistant manager of a fast food place 20 years ago. And that was in West Virginia, not exactly a place considered a high-income area.
    Good for you, I really mean it, but that doesn't mean others aren't worse off than you in the present day, and it might be good practice to keep that in mind in discussions like these. I don't mean to be coarse or defensive about this, for the record.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I imagine a system similar to a cell phone, or for older people the saved games on a video game cartridge. They need power from the system to run the game and play it and are otherwise inert, however on the inside they have a very small battery that does nothing but preserve the internal memory. Same way that your phone doesn't lose all of it's contact or apps when it dies from low battery.
    That could work. Although systems like the AI's chips (or certainly the servers for disembodied AI's) could also have a 'if the tiny little battery starts dying, write this down to the hard disk' style data-storage as well. Regardless, not that I think Jeph really has this part of 'how AIs work' all mapped out, it seems like robot consciousness is something that can be like a video-game save-state. I personally believe that, if/when we get working (real) AI, it'll be more like an active program being run, wherein a program crash or system outage would be be fatal. They aren't a song on sheet music, but an individual performance, as it were.

And just because I was curious and wanted to look it up: Twitch donations are counted as variable income, just like gig work or tips for waiting tables, so they are taxed as are the monthly fee from subscribers, after Twitch has taken their cut. That cut varies depending on the streamer - particularly big names can negotiate their own contract - but typically it's about 50%.

So Marigold has 200k subscribers. Times by $2.50 - $500,000 per month - less tax (up to 37% in the USA) is over $300,000 per month. PLUS tips and extra donations, and not counting people on the $10 or $25 subscriptions. Easily $3.5million per year.

I don't think that Jeph did the maths on this before he wrote it into his script. Either that or he confused subscribers for followers, although Aurelia seemed pretty clear on the difference when she was talking about it.
    I don't think we can assume that whatever streaming they use works perfectly like Twitch. Maybe there is nothing akin to followers and there are nothing but subscribers (but then the subscription fee is less than $2.50). Either way, I think you are right. May does not need to start earning a $6 million (gross) yearly income to tell this story.

11. - Top - End - #1391

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I don't think we can assume that whatever streaming they use works perfectly like Twitch. Maybe there is nothing akin to followers and there are nothing but subscribers (but then the subscription fee is less than $2.50).
    Fair point. I was using Twitch rates because it's the biggest RL example that I could think of, but it could be more like Patreon, or something - $1 minimum subscription, or whatever. At that rate, assuming a similar 5% cut to Patreon, then less taxes, she is still making over $120k per month at minimum.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-05-03 at 12:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    Median income (not median household income) in the state of New Mexico is just shy of 26k as of 2019. There are some poor states out there. Starting with a full-time (and as a bachelor), I'm well above standard median and not far below household median; and on top of that, I'm in a field that isn't doing too hot right now.

If I were to be more active socially in town, I'd find a lot of other single people in similar situations: not high on income but doing fine all things considered.

Granted, 25k in the northeast parts of the country is really only doable in the most rural of communities, so my kinda experience doesn't translate well to the comic setting.
    When considering what parts of the country are "poor", take COL into account.

I'd rather make $25000 in some parts of the country, than $50000 in NYC.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Troll in the Playground

I know that there are people a lot worse off than I was 20 years ago--heck, I'm one if them, I don't make 25 grand a year anymore, either. But I don't understand how you can not even know someone that makes that much. Even I you're making minimum wage at a fast food job, you know your store manager, and he or she almost certainly makes a good bit over 25k--as I said, I made slightly over that as an assistant manager 20 years ago in a low-income area, so the store managers nowadays have to be making more than that. Heck, if they aren't making that much, they can't even be put on salary.
    When people say "know" somebody, it generally means at least "acquaintance I would speak to outside of work-mandated interactions, or whom I know at least something about". Which generally discards most managers.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2021-05-03 at 01:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Troll in the Playground

Boats cost anywhere from 73k dollars, to a cool million and a half.

Source.

So if we take Jeph's comment as a clue, we can assume Marigold earns somewhere in the vicinity of 300k? I'm too lazy to do the math, so this is very rough eyeballing the average.

So yeah, she seems to be doing pretty well with her whole streaming gig.
    Last edited by Mordokai; 2021-05-03 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Confused median for average.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

We're mostly service/retail workers, stuck in sh**ty dead-end jobs at poverty wages, without much/any chance at upward mobility. And that's all I'll specify, because frankly your wording implies a really irritating tone and even if you don't intend it to, I still don't have the patience for it.

Good for you, I really mean it, but that doesn't mean others aren't worse off than you in the present day, and it might be good practice to keep that in mind in discussions like these. I don't mean to be coarse or defensive about this, for the record.
    I know that there are people a lot worse off than I was 20 years ago--heck, I'm one if them, I don't make 25 grand a year anymore, either. But I don't understand how you can not even know someone that makes that much. Even I you're making minimum wage at a fast food job, you know your store manager, and he or she almost certainly makes a good bit over 25k--as I said, I made slightly over that as an assistant manager 20 years ago in a low-income area, so the store managers nowadays have to be making more than that. Heck, if they aren't making that much, they can't even be put on salary.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Ettin in the Playground

Marigold, by contrast, is none of these things. She's a skilled and knowledgeable gamer, but she's also massively introverted to the point that she was practically a shut-in for a considerable period. I can't see her putting in the kind of highly public effort necessary to build a massive streaming following (nor can I see her attempting to monetize her sex appeal, she remains very uncomfortable about her appearance in many ways), especially not without her friends both knowing about it and actively supporting her.
    I can quite easily see her timidity working for her, if she's able to tone it down a bit via the interface layer. Quite apart from the somewhat-uncomfortable notion of what's "approchable", gaming streams/videos that are not over the top extroversion are kind of rare, and I know of a few LPers that get a lot of subscribers precisely because they're not that.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I can quite easily see her timidity working for her, if she's able to tone it down a bit via the interface layer. Quite apart from the somewhat-uncomfortable notion of what's "approchable", gaming streams/videos that are not over the top extroversion are kind of rare, and I know of a few LPers that get a lot of subscribers precisely because they're not that.
    I can certainly see Marigold becoming successful as a streamer/vtuber. This issue is the timeframe and the fact that apparently none of her close friends know about this. A streamer who makes 100-150 thousand a year is in the top 0.25% of all streamers. A streamer who makes 1 million or more is literally in the top 25 individual streamers/channels globally.

Marigold becoming a successful professional streamer who makes something like 100-150K a year is certainly something that could happen, over a two-three year period in-universe. Her becoming a streamer who is so successful that the amount of money in her bank account freaks her and Hanners out in six months or less is not. Especially not without her friends knowing about it.

I mean, at the very least, becoming a high-end streamer means putting together a home rig/studio setup for broadcasting. It's one thing for Aurellia to do that in a spare room no normal in use since she's an empty-nester, but Marigold lives in a small 2-bedroom apartment. It would be noticeable.
    Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    When people say "know" somebody, it generally means at least "acquaintance I would speak to outside of work-mandated interactions, or whom I know at least something about". Which generally discards most managers.
    Oh, well, that's not what the word means, or how I would use it. So basically he's saying that no one in his immediate social circle makes that much, not that he has literally never met anyone who makes that much. That's a bit more reasonable, though still, $25,000 a year is less than $12.50/hr for a full-time worker, and while I don't make that much ($9/hr and I only work part time), it's not really all that much--school teachers make more than that unless they're just substitutes, and I'm pretty sure that garbage collectors make more than that just about anywhere in the U.S.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

it's not really all that much--school teachers make more than that unless they're just substitutes, and I'm pretty sure that garbage collectors make more than that just about anywhere in the U.S.
    School teachers and garbage collectors do important work, and should be rewarded commensurately.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    School teachers and garbage collectors do important work, and should be rewarded commensurately.
    Sure, but neither is a career you are gonna choose if maximizing your income is your first priority.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ogre in the Playground

Dear Marigold: pay your bills, put 20% into leisure/luxury/wants, 30% into an index fund, and 50% into savings. Perhaps jigger around with the last two percentages.

STORYLINE OVER
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

22. - Top - End - #1402

$25,000 a year is less than $12.50/hr for a full-time worker, and while I don't make that much ($9/hr and I only work part time), it's not really all that much
    You're getting real close to understanding my point, here. Being pedantic about my exact word choices really isn't encouraging me to say it any clearer, though.

Also, I don't know why you're assuming I'm a guy. I don't have my gender posted anywhere.
    Last edited by Delicious Taffy; 2021-05-03 at 10:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ogre in the Playground

Beyond this current plotline's rampaging implausibility, I'm struggling to discern it's overall purpose. Why make Marigold into a rich internet personality? The comic already has multiple characters who are idly rich and slumming it with the main cast, such as Hannelore herself, but also Sven and Yay Newfriend. Honestly, it would have made a lot more sense for Marigold to emerge as a moderately successful vTuber, someone able to pull in a solidly middle class income that significantly increased her earnings but didn't vault her into the 1%. A story about a character who doubled or tripled their income is much more interesting than a character who no longer has to worry about money anymore. If you don't go the 'more money, more problems' route then removing financial issues as a source of drama reduces the potential of a character.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

In general I agree, but e.g. a character like LICD's Rayne Summers is built around the concept of "See what I can get away with!" , and him being rich only serves to further this purpose.

Of course, Rayne doesn't really fit the QC ethos. "With lots of money come lots of social responsibility" sounds like a more probable outcome, unless the author is tired of it.

When considering what parts of the country are "poor", take COL into account.

I'd rather make $25000 in some parts of the country, than $50000 in NYC.
    Let's ask the hard questions here, is that enough to feed raisins to your children in New York?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #1405

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Dear Marigold: pay your bills, put 20% into leisure/luxury/wants, 30% into an index fund, and 50% into savings. Perhaps jigger around with the last two percentages.

STORYLINE OVER
    You're not wrong - the specific problem here is solved by opening up a second, high-interest bank account and setting up an automatic transfer that goes off the day after "Twitch" pays into her other account. That way she sets herself a sensible 'wage' to live on, and the rest is out of sight/out of mind until she needs it for something important, like buying a house.

I suspect, however, that the real premise for this story is that Marigold is now rich and thus is going to feel responsible for her friends and family. Could she pay off Momo's chassis and buy her another, newer one immediately? Could she have outright bought one for May when she really needed it? Maybe Dale would like a new car, his probably has plenty of miles on it after his 3 delivery jobs..... etc, etc.

I like Marigold as a character, but she has the self-esteem of sponge and I can see how this sort of pressure - both from inside her own head as well as other people accidentally or deliberately making requests of her - can he spun into a very emotional tale.

I just hope that it doesn't herald a new arc about how privileged she is because... yeah.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

You're not wrong - the specific problem here is solved by opening up a second, high-interest bank account and setting up an automatic transfer that goes off the day after "Twitch" pays into her other account. That way she sets herself a sensible 'wage' to live on, and the rest is out of sight/out of mind until she needs it for something important, like buying a house.
    If she has a lot of cash on hand she could buy a house immediately, since if you can buy a house for cash that's going to be superior to renting almost every time (Northampton's a moderately expensive real estate market but it also has a number of older homes/condos that aren't absurdly priced). There's a least a storyline to be wrung out of buying a house, especially in terms of whether or not she'd like Dale to move in with her.

I like Marigold as a character, but she has the self-esteem of sponge and I can see how this sort of pressure - both from inside her own head as well as other people accidentally or deliberately making requests of her - can he spun into a very emotional tale.
    I mean, I wonder. The characters in the comic have been extremely careful to never ask Hanners for money and really have generally avoided asking Sven (who probably makes roughly the same as the entire staff of Coffee of Doom combined) for money too. Though he did probably pay for the majority of May's new chassis by himself.

Also, she managed to keep becoming a famous streamer from her friends for some extensive period of time, so maybe she'll just not tell them she's rolling in it now. Wouldn't make any less sense than the rest of this.

27. - Top - End - #1407

Griffon

Also, she managed to keep becoming a famous streamer from her friends for some extensive period of time, so maybe she'll just not tell them she's rolling in it now. Wouldn't make any less sense than the rest of this.
    Again I'm not telling yo that you're wrong, but if Marigold is revealed to be a successful streamer, and is on route to becoming a millionaire, and then the story is concluded and never mentioned again without anyone apart from Hannelore finding out about it.... What even is the point? Just wish-fulfilment as Jeph makes each of his darlings happy and comfortable without build up?

Maybe Jeph *is* ending the comic? All of his characters are pairing off and settling down to lead happy lives, and the final panel is just going to be Pintsize stubbing out a cigarette, declaring "Well, my work here is done" before he picks up a tiny suitcase and quietly closes the door behind him? ....I have to admit, that would be kinda great.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-05-04 at 03:56 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1408

Oh, well, that's not what the word means, or how I would use it. So basically he's saying that no one in his immediate social circle makes that much, not that he has literally never met anyone who makes that much. That's a bit more reasonable, though still, $25,000 a year is less than $12.50/hr for a full-time worker, and while I don't make that much ($9/hr and I only work part time), it's not really all that much--school teachers make more than that unless they're just substitutes, and I'm pretty sure that garbage collectors make more than that just about anywhere in the U.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I am going to second that. School teachers and garbage collector are among the most important jobs in our society, and it seems to be used as some sort of benchmark of "you gotta at least earn more than *those* people"

Essential labor is so undervalued sometimes.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Troll in the Playground

Counts variability aside, people don't just spontaneously become rich streamers. Like any job that depends on fan interaction and support it's a hustle. It takes a lot of work and effort to build the kind of fanbase willing to fork over large amounts of money on a regular basis, including attending events beyond just streaming and putting yourself out on social media like crazy.

Aurelia, actually, has the kind of personality I imagine one needs to achieve success in this field. She's personable, shameless, unconcerned with things like age barriers, and gossipy. Her ability to acquire a reasonably remunerative position as a lead streamer for a fetish community is unusual, but not outside the bounds of possibility.

Marigold, by contrast, is none of these things. She's a skilled and knowledgeable gamer, but she's also massively introverted to the point that she was practically a shut-in for a considerable period. I can't see her putting in the kind of highly public effort necessary to build a massive streaming following (nor can I see her attempting to monetize her sex appeal, she remains very uncomfortable about her appearance in many ways), especially not without her friends both knowing about it and actively supporting her.

It just seems poorly setup.
    The suddenness of it might be part of her problems. One month she's just slogging along, the next month money is rolling in. As to how this might come about, even given Mar-bear's less than dynamic personality: She plays something like "Layers of Fear" and her extreme reactions to the various scares and piercing sadness of the game make her an overnight sensation. People tune in to watch her hurl herself backwards over her chair screaming or break down in tears. And the thing about overnight sensations is, they often don't last. Marigold's streaming income dropping back down to almost nothing as the novelty wears off (or she can't take playing games with that sort of emotional / psychic impact anymore) would reduce the problems others have foreseen with this development.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

Its certainly kind of crazy how much cost of living varies in the good old US of A. In my neck of the woods, 31k a year would be enough to rent a low end apartment (not slums, but not very good either) and otherwise keep your head above water financially. Quadruple that would be far from infinity pool money, but well above middle class income. And would be a huge shock to the system of someone suddenly making that much. This could also be the start of an interesting arc as marigold starts off scared of being this rich but then starts falling into the money/fame trap. You know, acting like a jerk, getting arrogant over being a big success, etc.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."