New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

Combination of Jeph's perhaps unconscious assumptions about men, and his ongoing inability to remember the past events of his own comic.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sorry, but where is the Angus critique? I think I am missing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #1203

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Sorry, but where is the Angus critique? I think I am missing it.
    Bottom right - the subtext underneath the last panel of the comic. Jeph usually leaves a joke and/or commentary down there, and today's reads: "Is Dan cooler than Angus? WE'LL SEE"
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #1204

In the sense of "that wasn't cool, Angus!" ? I guess it can be read that way. But maybe it's because Angus was honestly cool, both because he was cool in general and cool with thing with which the rest of the cast struggles a lot.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Troll in the Playground

I find it somewhat hilarious that a discussion has been launched regarding a 'long-distance relationship' before establishing where Dan is actually living. 'The city' doesn't actually mean any specific place in reference to Northampton, because it is in close proximity to several large cities including: Albany (1 h 35 mins), Boston (1 h 45 mins), Harford (45 mins), and New York (3 h).

With the exception of New York that's not really 'long distance' it's 'see you on days off distance.' Speaking as someone who's done both, the latter, while still significantly more complicated than living in the same town, is massively less troublesome.

EDIT: since Dan appears to be a civil engineer who works on municipal water systems, he is more likely than not to work primarily in one state for regulatory reasons, meaning I'd guess he lives in Boston.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2021-04-09 at 10:54 PM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    New York (3 h).
    is that 3h to NY or 3h to a place in NY?
    I guess 3h to NY would easily make it 6h from a place in NY on Fridays after work.
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2021-04-10 at 01:09 AM.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

Dan lives long enough away that someone in the comic suggests the relationship would end up a long distance thing. So exactly what city he lives in is I'd say immaterial. The ones involved certainly think it'd be a long distance relationship.

8. - Top - End - #1208

Wasn't there a wave of terror when Dora moved 20 mins away and was considered lost by her friends?

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Wasn't there a wave of terror when Dora moved 20 mins away and was considered lost by her friends?
    Yeah, i seem to remember them having a rather poor grasp of distances.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Titan in the Playground

We've joked about it here several times, yeah.

Of course, Dora might as well live on another continent given how often she's in the comic now.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    We've joked about it here several times, yeah.

Of course, Dora might as well live on another continent given how often she's in the comic now.
    Oh. So.. They were right? Dora is indeed lost to us?

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

At least she wasn't eaten by an allosaurus, like that blonde barista in the early comics and (presumably) Penny.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Colossus in the Playground

Well most of these guys dont have CARS. Raven had her little meep meep but everyone else seems to walk everywhere so yeah, distance is more of a factor.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Well most of these guys dont have CARS. Raven had her little meep meep but everyone else seems to walk everywhere so yeah, distance is more of a factor.
    It's actually really unclear whether or not this is the case. For instance, the one time Hanners went to the doctor because she broke open a mole Faye drove her there. Likewise, when various characters went to the party at Emily's lake house they mostly drove there via carpool.

We don't see the characters drive much because the area where everyone lives, works, and goes to bars (the overwhelming majority of strips take place at a workplace, in an apartment, or in a bar) is legitimately very compact, but the characters probably do drive when doing non-comic stuff like getting groceries.

This sort of lifestyle actually isn't that uncommon, for people who happen to live in an old downtown area in the US that hasn't been completely gutted out by big box construction on the edge of town. Many college towns, and Northampton is one such, are still like this.

15. - Top - End - #1215

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    It's actually really unclear whether or not this is the case. For instance, the one time Hanners went to the doctor because she broke open a mole Faye drove her there. Likewise, when various characters went to the party at Emily's lake house they mostly drove there via carpool.
    If I remember rightly, the car in that instance belonged to Hannelore and Faye was driving it on her behalf because she was too scared to concentrate. It was Hannelore who was going to drive Marten to his Dad's wedding until she got sick, after all, whereas Faye can just about afford to eat let alone run a vehicle.

A decent number of the main case/B List have cars, or at least access to one, IIRC. Going back to the Lakehouse Party arc; Dora, Angus, Steve, and Hannelore all own cars while Claire was able to borrow her mom's in order to get Marten to the wedding.

Presumably Dan has a car? He made it out to visit Rene somehow, and his job likely earns enough that he could afford it, even assuming that he doesn't have a company car because his work entails so much travel. In which case Rene's question is less about "how will I go see Dan" and more like "will he WANT to come and see me", which to be honest after the Angus debacle might not be an unreasonable question.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-04-10 at 05:41 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    If I remember rightly, the car in that instance belonged to Hannelore and Faye was driving it on her behalf because she was too scared to concentrate. It was Hannelore who was going to drive Marten to his Dad's wedding until she got sick, after all, whereas Faye can just about afford to eat let alone run a vehicle.

A decent number of the main case/B List have cars, or at least access to one, IIRC. Going back to the Lakehouse Party arc; Dora, Angus, Steve, and Hannelore all own cars while Claire was able to borrow her mom's in order to get Marten to the wedding.

Presumably Dan has a car? He made it out to visit Rene somehow, and his job likely earns enough that he could afford it, even assuming that he doesn't have a company car because his work entails so much travel. In which case Rene's question is less about "how will I go see Dan" and more like "will he WANT to come and see me", which to be honest after the Angus debacle might not be an unreasonable question.
    ... you know, i had completely forgotten that she used to date Angus. Maybe Jeph has a better memory than we give him credit for?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #1217

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Who the hell is Dora??

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    ...because these new people are doing it less and less for me...
    I'll admit it though, watching Renee put a foot in her mouth is still amusing

Eh, at this point, who of the old crew isn't lost to us?

...seriously, is there anybody?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, at this point, who of the old crew isn't lost to us?

...seriously, is there anybody?
    Marten and Faye remain fairly present, if intermittently.

That sad thing about Dora, specifically is that she's presently engaged to Tai. There's a whole wedding arc thing to do that has all kinds of potential, we've seen a few hints here and there, that would serve as an excellent sort of last hurrah for some of the classic characters if they're going to be officially written into semi-retirement - presumably by leaving Northampton to pursue work opportunities - at some point in the future.

20. - Top - End - #1220

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Who the hell is Dora??
    You know, Dora. The Asian girl who is a bit eccentric, went on a date with Clinton and 3D printed a cardigan for Bubbles?

i'm not sorry

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, Dora. The Asian girl who is a bit eccentric, went on a date with Clinton and 3D printed a cardigan for Bubbles?

i'm not sorry
    I believe that's Emilie

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I believe that's Emilie
    I think you're missing the joke, although it could be that you're layering another one on top that I'm missing.

23. - Top - End - #1223

I thought that was Tilly?

24. - Top - End - #1224

Griffon

No, no one ever 3D printed a cardigan for Tilly.

25. - Top - End - #1225

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Who the hell is Dora??
    Dora is Slim Girl, one of the five characters in QC.

The other four characters are Chubby Girl, Neurotic Girl, Quirky Robot Girl, and Some Guy I Guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #1226

Griffon

This is kind of reminding me of the comic where Veronica Reed announced that she had signed a lease for an apartment, and everyone was shocked that she would spend so much on an overpriced place to live. "Darling, I'm from Los Angeles; your prices out here are laughable."

And this is entirely the attitude that I'm expecting/hoping for from Dan. "But it's a LONG DISTANCE relationship, those are so hard!" "Rene, I drive cross-state for a living; it took me like, 40 minutes to get here, tops."
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-04-13 at 04:01 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Titan in the Playground

Rene... this is a good thing that he only had to think about it for a moment, and said "let's try!".

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Still surprising. Not usually how people use the phrase.

Overall, I don't know what to think of this. Dan is one of the better and more interesting developments we've had with Rene (whom otherwise I think has struggled to find a niche in the comic). I'm hoping this goes to interesting places.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ettin in the Playground

Would be fair to say, based on today's comic, that Renee has slight fear of commitment?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Troll in the Playground

Would be fair to say, based on today's comic, that Renee has slight fear of commitment?
    Probably.

Partially I think what we're seeing here is how a woman who has engaged in extensive on-line dating feels uncomfortable in having begun a relationship with events out of order from standard experience. While Renee is being unreasonably blunt at the moment, these are the kinds of questions many people in such circumstances hash out before even meeting in person these days, never mind actually hooking up. For example, monogamy versus polyamory is one of those things that goes into the profile infobox now.

Also, Jeph's move to Canada is showing. Light rail infrastructure? Northampton's lucky to connect to Amtrak (the Vermonter, which goes from Vermont to NYC, and runs once per day).