New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

With these latest developments...

...are we barrelling headfirst towards a Love Quadrangle over Brun?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Brun is now a harem anime protagonist. Which brings to mind the question, who is the himedere?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Well, Tai was lamenting that she's spent her life being as non-heteronormative as possible, but couldn't help but want a big, girly wedding dress. She even used the word "Princess", I think? Her entering the love-hexagon should provide some interesting wedding day drama
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I approve of the thread title
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Brun is now a harem anime protagonist. Which brings to mind the question, who is the himedere?
    What is a himedere?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #7

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    What is a himedere?
    If you're not familiar with harem anime, it's where one person is pursued by a group of others, each of whom have their own archetype - one is shy, one is loud, one is quirky, one is a tomboy, and many other combinations.

A himedere is the term for one of those archetypes - someone who expects their love interest to worship them, or at least, treat them like a prince/princess even though they're not necessarily actual royalty.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    If you're not familiar with harem anime, it's where one person is pursued by a group of others, each of whom have their own archetype - one is shy, one is loud, one is quirky, one is a tomboy, and many other combinations.

A himedere is the term for one of those archetypes - someone who expects their love interest to worship them, or at least, treat them like a prince/princess even though they're not necessarily actual royalty.
    You know, its funny, but had this taken place before faye got sober, she would have been the big boobed drunken "older sister" type that offers the amusing advice. Kazehana for example. Not a perfect match but fairly close lol
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #9

Griffon

Hannelore bought Faye a t-shirt with "TSUNDERE" on the front. There's really no argument as to which archetype she'd get, even the cast of the comic agrees.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Tagged the thread

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hannelore bought Faye a t-shirt with "TSUNDERE" on the front. There's really no argument as to which archetype she'd get, even the cast of the comic agrees.
    'You've been... tsundere struck!"

Sorry, can't resist that pun.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Dunno, I suspect this is gonna end in more wacky hi-jinks over a Harem Plot. Though I admit, a Harem wherin the Harem...ee, is actually 100% oblivious to the attention rather than insecure in their feelings would be a nice wrinkle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    The thread title is perfection, if I may say so.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    The thread title is perfection, if I may say so.
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...postcount=1447

It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    There is, or has been, a series of self-depricating jokes from the lesbian community, which fall under the name- and, I must note, this is their term, not mine- "Useless Lesbian."

It's basically that fake dating fan fiction trope except one woman is entirely sure that they're in a relationship and the other is pining after her "best friend" who is "so nice" and just "waiting for a signal."
    Thanks for reminding me of the term. That's one shade of the humor I was getting at and one archetype.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Dunno, I suspect this is gonna end in more wacky hi-jinks over a Harem Plot. Though I admit, a Harem wherin the Harem...ee, is actually 100% oblivious to the attention rather than insecure in their feelings would be a nice wrinkle.
    It's not an uncommon trope.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"Cant just resolve the existing relationships and don't wanna damage the already resolved happy ones, let's add news characters and work them into the shipping chart. We wanna rival the one for Silencio when we're done!"

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Are these two new characters Jeph just added? I don't recognize them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "Cant just resolve the existing relationships and don't wanna damage the already resolved happy ones, let's add news characters and work them into the shipping chart. We wanna rival the one for Silencio when we're done!"
    Here's my theory on why he doesn't want to break up any of the existing ones: It doesn't feel like they're together long enough yet to actually break up.

Think about it. Marten got together with Dora in 564 and they broke up roughly 1200 strips later in 1799. They were both main characters at the time, and we got to know A LOT about them and their relationship. So when they finally broke up, it made sense!

Now look at Claire and Marten. Would it surprise you, if I told you that they've been together for longer than that already? It sure did surprise me. They got togehter in 2807, we're nearly 1450 strips later already. But what do we really know about their relationship? She's trans, stresses over her exams. He's passive. Woopdeedoo. Such depth. Of course it feels too early to break them up, because we know about as much about them as if this was their first week together.

Dora and Tai. I'm happy for them, really am. But do we know much more about them? I say... not really. And they've been together EVEN LONGER. Their first date was in 2256 !! Almost exactly 2000 strips ago! Almost half the damn comic. And yet it still would feel too early to break them up.

Faye and Bubbles, I'd wager we know more about their relationship (or at least feel like we do), than both of the former two combined. And they're only together for 500 strips. But their relationship was the spotlight of the comic for a long time, and even before they got together it was.

So... it feels too early to break any of the established couples up, because they're not getting enough screentime. But Jeph has all these drama stories to tell, so he makes up new characters to tell them with. Which further reduces the screen time of the established couples. Which means its still not time to rock the boat there, which means he makes up another handful of characters to do things with, which in turn reduces screen time for the original cast. And the second batch of characters. Which means... yes, I think you start getting the pattern, right?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Wild and crazy idea here, but he could just not break them up. It's not like there are no ups and downs within happy relationships after all. For example, we don't know much about Tai and Dora's relationship because Jeph never shows us what the relationship is like. They've had a couple of brief fights because of Dora's insecurities, but nothing other than that. Claire and Marten are a perfect example of how you tell stories around a successful relationship - they've had tension from external factors like Claire's exams and Marten's career prospects.

There's stories to tell here. I just get the impression that Jeph is more interested in wacky romantic comedy antics. That's fine, but the characters he's chosen for it aren't well suited to wacky antics.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Dora and Marten broke up over issues that were pretty obviously red-flagged before the relationship started and early in it. This made the entire thing feel natural instead of forced. The current relationships don't have the same issues, and involved the participants working through a lot of their issues before getting to that point.

22. - Top - End - #22

Griffon

I'm glad that we moved away from the 'dating' conversation between Brun and Renee, because we've already seen it.

We've already had one plotline where a character is diagnosed as lesbian by another based on a brief, second-hand description of a short encounter - Faye's sister's fiance did it to Faye/Bubbles, and as I recall at the time she came off as obnoxious and presumptive with her interference and cryptic implications.

Doing that again, only this time overlaid with the premise that Brun is neuro-atypical and unable to pick up on the cryptic suggestions, feels even more uncomfortable because it's like she's being mocked. Brun has assumed that it was a platonic day out, everyone else believes it appears like a romantic encounter; please don't dangle that knowledge just out of her reach and smirk about it, just TELL HER and let her in on the secret so that she can act upon it, will ya?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Are these two new characters Jeph just added? I don't recognize them.
    You jest(at least I assume you do), but yeah...

It has been mentioned already, probably in the last topic, but is this even QC anymore? Pretty much the entire gang that started the comic is... not gone, not really, but... they might as well be?

I don't know, something has been bothering me about this whole comic for the longest time now and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I guess this could be it?

Guess I'll have to ponder on it. I was never big on these characters, I'll admit that much. Maybe it's time to find something that I enjoy reading more.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    You jest(at least I assume you do), but yeah...

It has been mentioned already, probably in the last topic, but is this even QC anymore? Pretty much the entire gang that started the comic is... not gone, not really, but... they might as well be?

I don't know, something has been bothering me about this whole comic for the longest time now and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I guess this could be it?

Guess I'll have to ponder on it. I was never big on these characters, I'll admit that much. Maybe it's time to find something that I enjoy reading more.
    Slice of Life stuff doesn't work quite as well if you aren't focusing on the actual people whose lives its a slice of, admittedly.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I'm glad that we moved away from the 'dating' conversation between Brun and Renee, because we've already seen it.

We've already had one plotline where a character is diagnosed as lesbian by another based on a brief, second-hand description of a short encounter - Faye's sister's fiance did it to Faye/Bubbles, and as I recall at the time she came off as obnoxious and presumptive with her interference and cryptic implications.

Doing that again, only this time overlaid with the premise that Brun is neuro-atypical and unable to pick up on the cryptic suggestions, feels even more uncomfortable because it's like she's being mocked. Brun has assumed that it was a platonic day out, everyone else believes it appears like a romantic encounter; please don't dangle that knowledge just out of her reach and smirk about it, just TELL HER and let her in on the secret so that she can act upon it, will ya?
    Nothing worse than people who think they know what's going on in your head more than you do.

Especially when they think that being your "friend" entitles them to meddle or tease.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Nothing worse than people who think they know what's going on in your head more than you do.

Especially when they think that being your "friend" entitles them to meddle or tease.
    It would be one thing if she was like "you totally just went on a date. You have a girlfriend now." But Renee is purposely not telling Brun what she thinks she knows about her, so... what's the problem here?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    It would be one thing if she was like "you totally just went on a date. You have a girlfriend now." But Renee is purposely not telling Brun what she thinks she knows about her, so... what's the problem here?
    The smug presumption that she knows better than Brun what Brun is experiencing.

And the teasing (which Brun actually picks up on). And the whole attitude.

The only thing worse than fiction-shippers would be real-life shippers.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2020-04-29 at 01:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

And the whole attitude.
    I'm with you on this one. It's not so much the "I interpret the social context of this situation different," it's the "I know something you don't know about your own life" bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

And the teasing (which Brun actually picks up on). And the whole attitude.

The only thing worse than fiction-shippers would be real-life shippers.
    Hold on, how did we go from "Im thinking something that I don't want to say out loud." to "I know what you think better than you do."?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this whole story line resolves with everybody making a big fuss, and then them NOT getting together.

Like, there's nothing to say Brun and Milli are actually attracted to each other. Yes, they got along well, and went through the motions of a romantic date as far as events that occurred, but
    Brun potentially doesn't know, and certainly doesn't care, about such things. She and Milli passed out on the floor together, which she read as "Sleeping together", which led to brunch, which led to them enjoying each other's company, so they went on a walk in the park. Nothing about that inherently indicates romantic attraction on either side, and while plenty of people might not do a Brunch/Walk in the park with somebody they just met UNLESS it was a date, I don't think Brun is one of them. The Brunch was explicitly because Brun was mimicking social queues from Renee, and not quite picking up on "Sleeping With" beyond the literal (We were both asleep, and we were in the same place), and then they went on a walk because they were having a good time hanging out.

Milli, who IS aware that it's kind of unusual to get brunch and then go on a walk with somebody you met the night before outside the context of a date, makes a point of saying she doesn't know how she feels, and is, in fact, kind of panicky and confused about the idea of having just gone on a "Date" with someone. Not neccessarily in a "DOES THIS MEAN SHE LIKES ME?!" Way, so much as "Did we just go on a date? What does that mean? WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!" kind of way.

On the other hand, they did refer to each other as "Pretty", so, like, this might just be Faye and Bubbles: Speedrun Edition, if we push the characters in this way we can clip straight through the wall to the bit where they smooch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]