New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    Well yeah, because for a couple pages she was invasive. And then she mysteriously stopped being evasive and they were just talking.
    I'm not clear how is that different from my point.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I'm not clear how is that different from my point.
    It's not particularly, but your statement was "it's interesting how", which is usually phrased as a statement that wants either agreement or explanation. Your diction prompts response in some way.

Edit: I may also be dumb, I have considered that.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    It's not particularly, but your statement was "it's interesting how", which is usually phrased as a statement that wants either agreement or explanation. Your diction prompts response in some way.

Edit: I may also be dumb, I have considered that.
    Not stupid at all. Drawing two elements together in a sentence and forming a link between them invites one to compare and contrast, and "it's interesting how" does carry common implications to suggest hypocrisy.

Mind, personally I agree with you. Willow can both be invasive in Clinton's personal life, and have good chemistry with him.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    I don't think it's meant to be a joke at all. Just something that was poorly thought out on Jeph's part.

If anything, the AIs getting sprays is would be the ones guilty of appropriation.
    Probably. Non-permanent body art is uncommon in most advanced Western nations. Tattooing, similarly, was quite rare until fairly recently but has now become widely accepted. At the same time, non-permanent body art, in the form of red ochre, dates back to the stone age, and highly advanced temporary body art such as henna at least 3500 years.

QC is a testament to the power of 'write what you know,' but it's also a testament to the problem of writing what you know when you don't actually know what you're talking about.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    QC is a testament to the power of 'write what you know,' but it's also a testament to the problem of writing what you know when you don't actually know what you're talking about.
    So true, more than once.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Colossus in the Playground

Its funny but this thing with willow is honestly more or less how everyone becomes friends. They latch onto one member of the group and get introduced to everyone in the circle in short order, then generally put down roots.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh look, Faye and Bubbles having actual chemistry. Lets get more of this, and less of the Clinton/Elliot fake chemistry.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-02-11 at 11:37 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Is this the first time that Clinton has actually said he's directly attracted to another guy? So far I think he has only said he was considering being attracted to a guy, or words to the effect?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Oh look, Faye and Bubbles having actual chemistry. Lets get more of this, and less of the Clinton/Elliot fake chemistry.
    Clinton has more chemistry with Willow in just the few strips since she was introduced than he has had with Elliot.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Oof, this hits hard. At least she's getting a rejection letter and isn't just getting ghosted.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2021-02-18 at 11:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Oof, this hits hard. At least she's getting a rejection letter and isn't just getting ghosted.
    God I hate that. You know what I wish? I wish it was law that you get a rejection letter that states why you were rejected. It would be SUCH A BIG HELP if you screwed up somehow and got told about it so you could fix it for next time, or if you lack a certain something this field looks for so you could go get it. Otherwise you could screw up a dozen job applications and never know it because you dont know what you did wrong. Maybe make it only for those who get to the interview step, but yeah, it makes me so paranoid when I get rejected and dont know why. Should I do something different next time? What? Was it just a matter of someone with better qualifications applying? Was I not supposed to share my squirrel head collection with the HR guy?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Was I not supposed to share my squirrel head collection with the HR guy?
    Jobs that I care about I call back after a rejection to ask precisely that. Just in case the guy who got the job drops out.

I visited a company that ghosted me on tour once.
    When I got a peek in the HR I knew it wasn‘t about me: Applications where stacked in baskets.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    God I hate that. You know what I wish? I wish it was law that you get a rejection letter that states why you were rejected. It would be SUCH A BIG HELP if you screwed up somehow and got told about it so you could fix it for next time, or if you lack a certain something this field looks for so you could go get it. Otherwise you could screw up a dozen job applications and never know it because you dont know what you did wrong. Maybe make it only for those who get to the interview step, but yeah, it makes me so paranoid when I get rejected and dont know why. Should I do something different next time? What? Was it just a matter of someone with better qualifications applying? Was I not supposed to share my squirrel head collection with the HR guy?
    Speaking as a manager with hiring responsibility, you often don't have the option to do this. Particularly if it is a situation where you weighed person X's 10 years job experience but unfamiliarity with your particular systems architecture versus person Y's 8 years, but with more direct applicable skills. Or where it would violate privacy of the person who did get the job. That said, I make the effort to always send out a personalized rejection letter, along with HR's general one. If people call and ask what happened, I try my best to tell them if it was something they did in the interview, as compared to us simply choosing someone else who was more qualified. If it is the case you mention regarding 'if you lack a certain something this field looks for so you could go get it' -- absolutely. If someone literally does not meet our needs, I will make sure to make that clear (although usually those won't actually get to me in the first place, as I try to make sure all qualifications are clearly stated in the job description, and then HR filters the applications for them ahead of time).

Job hunting stinks. It really stinks right now what with Covid and such, but even before that it was horrible. Every position I fill I run into at least one fresh faced young person who clearly really wants the job (or one like it) and has been job hunting for 50-150% longer than they thought it would take to find a job and have no idea what they aren't doing right.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-02-19 at 09:46 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ettin in the Playground

The librarian job market is about as brutal as the academic job market, so I feel Claire on this very, very keenly. Honestly, you're lucky half the time to even get a rejection letter at all. Even if you get invited to have an interview, you still aren't guaranteed a rejection letter.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2021-02-19 at 10:07 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

Even a generic "thanks but no thanks" letter is many times better than just simply being ghosted. Knowing that you're no longer in the running is disappointing, but it does ease up on tension and uncertainty. Ghosting is unfortunately the norm, and in my experience, 19 out of 20 times, ghosting is what you get.

Honestly though, ghosting is bad for the company in question too. It leaves a poor taste in the mouth for your applicants, and they're certainly not going to be positive when talking about your company to their friends in the future.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

When I was responsible for making hiring decisions, often times it came down to having 3 suitable applicants for 1 position, and the one who got the job was the one I got ahold of on the phone first.

17. - Top - End - #1037

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    When I was responsible for making hiring decisions, often times it came down to having 3 suitable applicants for 1 position, and the one who got the job was the one I got ahold of on the phone first.
    The old sitcom Night Court did this idea, when we and the other characters learn that the young and rather eccentric Harry Stone became a judge because while his name was very last on the list, he was the only one home to answer the phone when the hiring call went out. (And yes, this was very much pre smartphone days..)
    Last edited by geoduck; 2021-02-20 at 06:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Putting my thoughts on the heartlessness of the hiring process aside...

So do Claire's glasses have rests on the rims, or what? The bridge doesn't look like it should contact the nose of the wearer.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not sure one could ever untruthfully say that about Pintsize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ah, I have it. Clinton will call off dinner, thinking it impolite to invite a guest to come over for dinner when there is, in fact, no dinner to be eaten. Misunderstandings ensue, as Elliot interprets the rescinded invitation as a tacit signal of general disinterest. We will have probably between 5 and 10 Clinton-Elliot-centered strips before some third party addresses the matter.

21. - Top - End - #1041

Griffon

Or instead of calling it off Clinton instead makes the reasonable decision that they'll just eat out, which Elliot misinterprets as a formal "take me out to dinner" date and immediately freaks out because he wasn't expecting a 'DATE' date.

Before Clinton can explain the situation with the dog - or Elliot hears "my dog ate my date arrangements" and assumes it to be a pathetically shallow excuse - He panics and flees into the night, never to be seen again except for vague Yeti-esque sightings of giant footprints left in the showers of local gymnasiums.

Or he bumps into Yay Newfriend, who tells him it's just Burger King and to please go to his doctor and talk about a diazepam prescription.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You know, Elliot, it's much easier to dress up and then dress down than the reverse; all one needs to do is wear a T-shirt under a button-up and then hang the button-up in the coat room at work.

23. - Top - End - #1043

AssassinGuy

Yay for politeness!

Spoiler
    Show
    they‘ll wait till they are home before they snoop around in Elliot electronic assets
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Troll in the Playground

OK, this is not the best of all possible starts.

25. - Top - End - #1045

Griffon

It could be worse. And there's still room to spin this into a good thing.

"Oh, YOU'RE the Elliot that Clinton invited over? Well no worries, you keep those 5 bucks and treat yourself tomorrow, until then you can come on in!"

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Pixie in the Playground

Ah, OK, here we go. All the chemistry is going to be between Elliot and Clinton's mom. I'll take that as a twist.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone else notice that she suddenly looks more like Claire and Clinton's older sister... ?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Not more than she already did*. With the exception of that Jim Bean and Marten's Parents, I don't think I remember any of the older tier characters being drawn as clearly older, so much as that being an informed attribute (even Marten's Dad's husband, Maurice, could be another 20-something based on the artwork). To that end, she's wearing 'mom jeans' and a blouse (as opposed to the t-shirts a lot of the y.a. cast regularly wear.
    *She has the same slightly different mouth that Jeph gives Claire and Clinton and not others, that I assume is supposed to represent an overbite or something.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Not more than she already did*. With the exception of that Jim Bean and Marten's Parents, I don't think I remember any of the older tier characters being drawn as clearly older, so much as that being an informed attribute (even Marten's Dad's husband, Maurice, could be another 20-something based on the artwork). To that end, she's wearing 'mom jeans' and a blouse (as opposed to the t-shirts a lot of the y.a. cast regularly wear.
    *She has the same slightly different mouth that Jeph gives Claire and Clinton and not others, that I assume is supposed to represent an overbite or something.
    Original appearance -- https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2804

Further appearance -- https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3716

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Okay, 'Further appearance' is clearly a middle-aged individual. 'Original appearance' and today's/yesterday's strips look the same to me.