New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

I've never seen "driving hung over" brought up as a major issue.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I haven't heard of driving hung over as a bad thing specifically, but as a former night shift worker I'm well aware of the dangers of driving tired. Driving tired is at least as bad as driving drunk. You're not mentally aware enough to drive safely. I lived only a couple miles from the office, but some of my co-workers lived nearly an hour away. I have no idea how they managed the interstate if they were as tired as I was.

Driving hungover seems like it would be closer to driving while sick. You aren't about to keel over, but you're still going to have much lower situational awareness as part of your brain is focused on how bad you feel. I'm not a drinker though, so I can't really compare directly. I guess it would also depend on how hungover you are.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Reasonable quality hotels in Montreal, according to 10 seconds on google, are something like $70-150 per night, plus gas money for a ~600 mile round trip. That sounds like quite a lot of money to donate, especially to May who Dora and Tai mostly know as Marten's abrasive upstairs neighbour that they kinda met once at a party.

I mean, good for them for being such kind people and all, but to change their wedding plans for their friend's neighbour's jerk-ass roomate? Or have I got it wrong and *I'm* the Scrooge in this situation?
    I don't think it would surprise you to hear that it's rather obvious you are looking for ways to be disappointed in QC, but you're also not wrong -- most of the people shown don't have a whole lot of reason to help May out.

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I bet you already thought more about this than Jeph. Do the brides even organise the bachelorette party? Around here this is usually done secretly by the Best Man/Woman and mostly paid for by the guests.
    This too. If he thought it through at all, I bet Jeph mentally had something like $200 bucks mentally penciled in for Dora/Tai's contribution here, instead of what a 1+ night stay 300 miles away really would be (and no way did he map out the distance and figure gas prices).

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Not specifically, but it tracks as a vaguely realistic thing you might say to someone else to reassure them that you agree with their change of plans.
    Replace this specific scenario with...
    D: "Let's book an extra day at the Montreal hotel after the bachelorette party, I really want to check out the Montreal Museum of _____*"
    T: "Oh. Uh, sure, that works. Then we won't have to drive home hung over."
    ... and it doesn't feel jarring.
    *Fly Fishing. I bet it's the Montreal Museum of Fly Fishing

4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I don't think it would surprise you to hear that it's rather obvious you are looking for ways to be disappointed in QC, but you're also not wrong -- most of the people shown don't have a whole lot of reason to help May out.
    Honestly? I'm really not looking to be disappointed, that takes a special kind of train-wreck occurring. I was hoping for just gentle, slightly-critical but otherwise affectionate snark, so I'll see if I can temper that a bit better in future.

I mean...
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #365

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    What surprises me the most is that there is an International Museum of Fly Fishing in Europe, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #366
    Colossus in the Playground

"Dora and Tai are impulsively generous" doesn't really strike me as in any way inconsistent with the comic to date.

"I wouldn't donate that much to a friend of a friend" is a perfectly reasonable statement that in no way negatively reflects on: they would.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Dora and Tai are impulsively generous" doesn't really strike me as in any way inconsistent with the comic to date.
    Especially if the context was, "Y'know, we were about to spend a lot of money in order to make our party LESS fun for everyone involved. Let's not do that, and give it to May instead."

I mean, they could have also said, "Let's keep it for ourselves", but it's always easier to be generous in the wake of a windfall. Even if it's just a windfall you got via ditching a poorly-thought-out plan.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

I can only think of Brennan Lee Mulligan's joke take on GoFundMe:

"We run a popularity context website, where if you lose, you die."
    Last edited by Cikomyr2; 2020-07-28 at 09:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #369

Griffon

I've missed Marigold. I love how she has grown from an isolated nerd into... well, a slightly less isolated nerd who is otherwise comfortable with being so, and she has some of the best one-liners.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

10. - Top - End - #370
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

"I wouldn't donate that much to a friend of a friend" is a perfectly reasonable statement that in no way negatively reflects on: they would.
    The strange thing for me isn't that they would cancel expensive wedding plans to help an acquaintance. Its that they had expensive wedding plans in the first place. How many of their friends had enough disposable income and time to go to Montreal for a wedding?

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    The strange thing for me isn't that they would cancel expensive wedding plans to help an acquaintance. Its that they had expensive wedding plans in the first place. How many of their friends had enough disposable income and time to go to Montreal for a wedding?
    It may be they had not reached the "can we actually do this?" stage of planning yet.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    It may be they had not reached the "can we actually do this?" stage of planning yet.
    Could also be the intersection between "joke" and "serious" that Jeph sometimes struggles with.

Besides, if they go to Montreal, they could stumble into their alternate selves and then who knows what would happen.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

If they would potentially be driving home hung over from the bachelorette party, in all likelihood the wedding wouldn't be in Montreal. Sounds like they were having a 'destination bachelorette party,' which still runs into friends who couldn't attend. 'Bachelorette party some of your friends can't attend' is less ridiculous than 'wedding some of your friends can't attend,' but still perhaps something for which their friends wouldn't have wanted to budget.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know why, but I'm having... high hopes for this arc?

Not too low hopes, at least
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

With regards to the choice of Montreal, there's a vague but real strain of thought out there among the US hipster set to the effect that 'what happens in Canada, stays in Canada,' and Montreal is the closest Canadian city of any consequence to Northampton. It makes sense that if Dora and Tai were planning a night of going hog wild they might gravitate to the idea of doing so in Canada as a cheaper alternative to Vegas.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

There is also the possibility of a party bus being involved if the planning went further.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    This is me hearing that apparently, Americans still pay bills and their rent by check. I've only seen a check once in my life, as a little kid in the eighties. They are kind of exciting.
    There are still some time/places where checks may be preferable. Paying my taxes for instance. Because my wife has an unusual W2, we can't file online. So I mail in the form with the check (which was $8 last year).

At least in Texas, vehicle registration. While they accept credit cards and it can be done online, they charge a fee (2.5 or 3%) for using a credit card. So I save a few bucks using a check.

I'll agree it is rare. I write maybe four checks a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    AI chassis aren't that important - as Corpse Witch demonstrated, the important bit is their minds which are safe inside a reinforced titanium harddrive case. You could literally drive a truck over them, plug it into a new body/server and away they go.
    Actually this MAY not be entirely correct. The combat bots in the underground fighting ring were done that way, but there's no indication that's the norm for everyone. Remember, Pintsize has had problems with crickets in his motherboard. Given the desire for companies to make things as cheaply as possible, I doubt that your normal bot has a titanium hardened case.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Yeah, he's basically just Brown Haired Martin now. Jeph seriously needs to revisit his character designs, he's getting really close to only actually drawing like 4 people with different outfits (Next up, Marigold and Faye will slowly morph into a single 'busty larger girl' design.)
    Jeb himself made the same comment about him looking like Martin. And yeah, I agree. The art has actually declined in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Don't forget when we met Hanners the first time she was actually working FOR her mom, double and tripple checking accounting reports to find who is embezzling the money. So she knows how to follow money trails even through shell corporation, and I guess you do pick up a thing or two on how to set them up as well, when you do that.
    In fairness, when we first met her she was kind of stalking Martin and was perfectly comfortable being next to him while he peed in a sink. While she had OCD issues, they were apparently not as severe as they became a bit later.

Actually, all we know is they are moving a bachelorette party. Depending on what they were doing and who they might know in the area, that might not be all that expensive. Maybe saving room and gas. This could easily only be $200.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

18. - Top - End - #378

No, she probably doesn't deserve the money. But that had nothing to do with her needing the money for a minimum acceptable quality of life. If we only help those who deserve help we're going top leave out a pretty massive underclass of people who made bad decisions in a difficult moment in their lives.

Edit: Fixed autocorrupt issues.
    Last edited by Felius; 2020-07-30 at 10:40 AM.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    No, she probably doesn't deserve the money. But that had nothing to do when her needing the money for a minimum acceptable quality of life. If we only help those who deserve help we're going top leave out a pretty massive underclass of people who made bad decisions in a difficult moment in their lives.
    Or you can do what some places are doing and just don't help anyone.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    No, she probably doesn't deserve the money. But that had nothing to do when her needing the money for a minimum acceptable quality of life. If we only help those who deserve help we're going top leave out a pretty massive underclass of people who made bad decisions in a difficult moment in their lives.
    That depends on your definition of "deserve", I suppose. But saying anything more on this topic would probably violate the forum rules, so I'll refrain.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Why do people in movies only notice that they're out of toilet paper when they've litterally used the last bit of it? And not at the "oh this roll I just started was the last, I need to buy more" or "Only one left after this, probably put it on the shopping list already" ?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

People can be really forgetful. Also "out of toilet paper" could be in reference to their extra stock.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Why do people in movies only notice that they're out of toilet paper when they've litterally used the last bit of it? And not at the "oh this roll I just started was the last, I need to buy more" or "Only one left after this, probably put it on the shopping list already" ?
    It can happen, especially if you thought there was some there but someone else came in and used it. Public bathrooms can be worse. My work office has this HUGE dispensing thing that holds three rolls, but is opaque so you can't see how much is in it. It can happen (speaking from experience) that there's just a little bit hanging down and all three rolls are empty.

It can also not be noticed if you're in such a hurry because you HAVE to get on that seat right now. Colonoscopy prep is a good example. You might as well camp out.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    In fairness, when we first met her she was kind of stalking Martin and was perfectly comfortable being next to him while he peed in a sink. While she had OCD issues, they were apparently not as severe as they became a bit later.
    The OCD came in one of her first comics. She commented on her hair counting in one of her first pages, and 520 explicitly says it was severe. The "comfortable being next to him while he peed in a sink" bit was retconned later as being due to some really powerful anti-anxiety medication, but her OCD was always pretty serious, and that was one of the main things focused on during her introduction.

And Hannelore wasn't explicitly working for her mom. Her job was to count things. So she talks about counting sand particles for some scientists. She did work a job for her mom, but that's literally the only time we hear her actually doing that.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    The OCD came in one of her first comics. She commented on her hair counting in one of her first pages, and 520 explicitly says it was severe. The "comfortable being next to him while he peed in a sink" bit was retconned later as being due to some really powerful anti-anxiety medication, but her OCD was always pretty serious, and that was one of the main things focused on during her introduction.

And Hannelore wasn't explicitly working for her mom. Her job was to count things. So she talks about counting sand particles for some scientists. She did work a job for her mom, but that's literally the only time we hear her actually doing that.
    IIRC she was also smoking and kinda grungy-looking.

Again, because of the powerful anti-anxiety meds messing with her head.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2020-07-31 at 04:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So speculation on May's future body:

a) It's going to be a blue skinned one, so we recognize her (like Momo kept the pink hair)
    b) Momo-skinned body but with blue hair
    c) Neither of those (other skin/hair combo)
    d) FIGHTER JET!!!
    e) Fighter Jet but on a merry-go-around
    f) GoFundMe equivalent goes bankrupt before the deadline, because of the badly coded website and all the money is gone
    g) Something something legal-stuff, and the government seizes the money to pay for outstanding debts on May's part, so Squidbot has to safe they day somehow

What do you think?

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Joke answer: She gets an exact copy of Momo's new body, confusing everyone and making the 'May hooked up with Momo's crush' plot line even more devastating for Momo.

Real guess: something like she currently has, but with whatever upgrade Jeph decides he should have had in the first place, plus it has some kind of flight capability.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the small touch that Yay has her Connect Four chips stacked while Mellon has them all over.

... which one of them is winning?

29. - Top - End - #389

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    I like the small touch that Yay has her Connect Four chips stacked while Mellon has them all over.
    Friend and Newfriend?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

So it's Melon's move right now (there are 8 blue pieces in the grid but 9 red). If she goes for the leftmost column, Yay would be forced to put their piece there as well, and then Melon can put her piece on top of it to block Yay from using the third column to set up her own diagonal.

EDIT:

By my estimations, assuming both parties play optimally, Melon wins.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-08-04 at 08:24 PM.