New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

And thus was born... the Nanoplague!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    And for a minute there I was certain Lemon was good at her job...
    Same. But in the last panel Roko doesn't seem to be shaking anymore, so I'm withholding ultimate judgement for next strip. Quite possible it worked.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Well, I'm pretty sure you'd stop thinking about groceries if a mugger pulled a gun on you, so it stands to reason to think that an olfactive death threat would be a very effective distraction from an existential crisis.
    The problem is the therapy required for that new trauma.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Well, I'm pretty sure you'd stop thinking about groceries if a mugger pulled a gun on you, so it stands to reason to think that an olfactive death threat would be a very effective distraction from an existential crisis.
    The problem is the therapy required for that new trauma.
    But now you have developed a general method of treating traumas. The trick is to make sure that the level of trauma is diminishing with each iteration.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    But now you have developed a general method of treating traumas. The trick is to make sure that the level of trauma is diminishing with each iteration.
    So you just start presenting less toxic smells? Start with toxic goo, then go to Melon's abomination of a drink, then start removing chemicals until the final one is just Windex.

6. - Top - End - #576

Griffon

Unfortunately this is also how Pavlovian responses are formed. Get her to associate the scent of tulips with dysmorphic episodes and mental trauma, and she'll never be able to walk past a florist again.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

7. - Top - End - #577
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Unfortunately this is also how Pavlovian responses are formed. Get her to associate the scent of tulips with dysmorphic episodes and mental trauma, and she'll never be able to walk past a florist again.
    It may also be the opposite, associating bad smells with centering yourself and leaving a dysmorphic episode. Keep some smelling salts on hand or something else sharp enough to distract when you start to have an episode.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Guys, distracting someone from an existential crisis helps them not killing themselves right now. It won't prevent the dark thoughts to resurface later. My idea is terrible and you're just making it worse.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2020-09-17 at 11:39 AM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Guys, distracting someone from an existential crisis helps them not killing themselves right now. It won't prevent the dark thoughts to resurface later. My idea is terrible and you're just making it worse.
    I think it was established already that people online improve upon ruining everything.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if Roko is saying "Holy f***, Lemon, what did you do to my nose?", then at least at that moment she's thinking of it as her nose, not an alien nose that's established squatter's rights to her face. Progress?

11. - Top - End - #581

And this isnt an attempt to cure her, just an attempt to stop her from freaking out to the point of potential self harm. You have to get her out of her episode before you can start working on the underlying cause of it.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

Lemon actually sounds competent in Friday's update.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

As someone who has regular panic attacks, the whole "grounding" thing works very well to get your mind out of the fight-or-flight space so that you can apply other strategies.

Melon is doing legit psychology here she's just. Putting dumpster goop into it.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

And Renee takes the round in this fight against her mom friend instinct, allowing herswlf to be taken care of, for once.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Looks like we're back to complaints about high school from someone who hasn't been there since the '90s at the latest.

16. - Top - End - #586

Griffon

I was thinking the same thing - Jeph really didn't do the math on that reference. Trogdor was a thing in... what, 2002? That would make S!#$$y Dan - and Rene and Brun by association - approximately 35 years old. Even if it's being worn ironically or as a vintage/recycled shirt, it's a blast from the ancient-internet-past.

...Jesus Christ, I'm having flashback to Salad Fingers, Weebl & Bob and Foamy the Squirrel. Please send help.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-09-23 at 04:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #587

I was thinking the same thing - Jeph really didn't do the math on that reference. Trogdor was a thing in... what, 2002? That would make S!#$$y Dan - and Rene and Brun by association - approximately 35 years old. Even if it's being worn ironically or as a vintage/recycled shirt, it's a blast from the ancient-internet-past.

...Jesus Christ, I'm having flashback to Salad Fingers, Weebl & Bob and Foamy the Squirrel. Please send help.
    All your base are belong to us.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

That or he didn't think an actually time-appropriate back-in-high-school for (I'm guessing 23-year-olds) would resonate with his audience. When they were 16, apparently Doge and Twirking and 'you had one job' were the hits of the day. That...sounds more like stuff your grand/parents forward you on Facebook (if you are still on it). I'd guess a splitting difference between 40 y.o. author not really being in tune with young adulthood of today, and 'this doesn't feel right' when using an accurate reference. I suspect, in-universe, S!#$$y Dan is wearing the shirt 'nostalgically'/'ironically.' Kind of like what we thought Summer of '69 (a timeframe which seemed like a time when 18 year olds were having failed high school bands, even if Bryan Adams was actually 9 at the time) was about until he explained it was a '69, hurr dee hurr' reference.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

Comic time is not real time. QC began in 2003, and it was at most a-few-years-into-the-alternate-future then. Faye uses a flip phone in early strips, among other examples. In-universe it's only actually been a handful of years since then, to the point that if QC started in the 2003 of it's universe it is almost certainly not yet 2010. After all, if comic time was real time, Marten and the other main characters would be breaking into they're 40s at this point.

So the Trogdor reference actually makes sense in-universe, since these characters very probably were in high school during the early 2000s.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2020-09-23 at 09:15 PM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

20. - Top - End - #590

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Comic time is not real time. QC began in 2003, and it was at most a-few-years-into-the-alternate-future then. Faye uses a flip phone in early strips, among other examples. In-universe it's only actually been a handful of years since then, to the point that if QC started in the 2003 of it's universe it is almost certainly not yet 2010. After all, if comic time was real time, Marten and the other main characters would be breaking into they're 40s at this point.

So the Trogdor reference actually makes sense in-universe, since these characters very probably were in high school during the early 2000s.
    I appreciate the perspective, but I'm honestly not sure that's true. For example, the whole cast own smartphones - very much a post-2012 development - and they all marked a number of key real-world events like the death of Ronnie James Dio and David Bowie. Similarly, during winter months Jeph tends to draw them in winter clothing, and summer clothing in the summer so time is passing, in a way.

It's just comic time. I doubt he's really thought about it because it's really not important and it's just a thing that is assumed to happen in comics. Maybe I'm just slightly envious of a guy who had a mint-condition TROGDOR t-shirt in 2017.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ettin in the Playground

So what are the odds of Brun taking Renee's words literally and making the same.meal every time she cooks?

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

No your brain didn't slip. That's just your natural awfulness shining through. If Dan has any sense he'll block and forget his old bullies.

23. - Top - End - #593

With any luck he will respond with an awful nickname she went through school with. "Hey Pees Her Pants Renee! Its been a long time!"

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

I appreciate the perspective, but I'm honestly not sure that's true. For example, the whole cast own smartphones - very much a post-2012 development - and they all marked a number of key real-world events like the death of Ronnie James Dio and David Bowie. Similarly, during winter months Jeph tends to draw them in winter clothing, and summer clothing in the summer so time is passing, in a way.

It's just comic time. I doubt he's really thought about it because it's really not important and it's just a thing that is assumed to happen in comics. Maybe I'm just slightly envious of a guy who had a mint-condition TROGDOR t-shirt in 2017.
    I have a mint condition Trogdor T-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    So what are the odds of Brun taking Renee's words literally and making the same.meal every time she cooks?
    That is a thing that could certainly happen.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2020-09-24 at 06:59 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

Early Tumblr had the same kind of energy as Renee's text. I vividly remember "Send me a "HEY F---FACE" if I'm your tumblr crush"

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I like how Something Positive handles this problem. Time in-universe is always "roughly present day." It might slow down for a storyline but time is always passing. Characters that were in their early 20s at the start are now in their early 40s. They've had kids, and now those kids are teenagers. Characters move away and get on with their lives, and he does an annual "where are they now" series for the most popular ones.

It helps avoid the "How do you do, fellow kids?" effect that sometimes creeps into other webcomics.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    No your brain didn't slip. That's just your natural awfulness shining through. If Dan has any sense he'll block and forget his old bullies.
    I'll say that I never felt anything towards Renee... that's to say, I didn't like her, certainly, but I never felt the almost hate sink levels she seems to attract. That said...

With todays comic, it's almost like Jeph wants us to hate her
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Yup, this is totally what "mom friends" do.

29. - Top - End - #599

Yeah im wondering if this is the start to another "renee sexually harasses someone and gets called on it" arcs. Most of the time she is just fine, no big deal at all and not terrible, but then she randomly just DOES STUFF.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    I'll say that I never felt anything towards Renee... that's to say, I didn't like her, certainly, but I never felt the almost hate sink levels she seems to attract. That said...

With todays comic, it's almost like Jeph wants us to hate her
    Well, when we were first introduced to her and she looked shockingly dissimilar to her current form, she was as bad as Faye with none of the "fun sass" that made Faye likeable. First introductions tend to stick...

Plus, this is supposedly still the Renee that was burned in effigy as "ding dong the witch is dead" was sung. A lovable character like Angus (or Marigold) wouldn't do that if she wasn't unlikeable.