New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    ...This "everyone looks different every time Jeph draws them" joke is kinda getting old.

Unless you literally cannot recognise Sven, in which case I'm pretty worried for you.
    Jeph's characters are usually distinct enough that you can identify who a given character is among the cast.

The bigger problem is that the cast is so big, and the plot wanders so much, that it can be hard to recognize a given character, just because it's been a while since you've seen them, and you suddenly have to remember which character fits best in this context.

Like, this is Sven, but it took me a while to remember, first of all, that there IS a brown-haired glasses-wearing man who knows Momo and May, has a prior relationship with May that would call for her to call out her new, accurate anatomy, and didn't know about May's new body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #782
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I thought it was intended to be Clinton until somebody pointed out the hand.
    Same here. I figured may was just in her "Im sexy and I know it" phase and teasing clinton a bit. Seriously, they look a lot alike.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

This discussion is heavily ironic in the context of the comic, given that there was a point at which May didn't know that Sven was the "Sven" that Momo had a crush on.

I was wondering if Clinton had dyed his hair offscreen while drunk, but then understood when May called him "clownboy"

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

I thought it was intended to be Clinton until somebody pointed out the hand.
    I can get not recognizing Sven, he got.. kinda generic after his haircut and moving to the more rounded face instead of the much sharper angles he and Dora used to have. But confusing him for Clinton? Different hair color, no hand cover, doesn't have the electric-socket tattoo from Clinton's Wild Night Out..

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Yeah. My initial reaction was pretty much "okay now who is this guyyyohit'sSven (by context). Sven doesn't look like Sven, but he also doesn't look like anyone else specifically.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Dora, Raven and Emily don't, that's the problem! *rimshot*

Seriously though, I was being facetious. The only person who comes close to looking like Sven is *maybe* Wil, who dresses in tweed and has a moustache. If someone can't remember a character just because you haven't seen them for a month, I don't know what to say except that I wonder how they make it through real life when one of their friend gets anew haircut or puts on a new t-shirt

The problem is when the character we haven't seen for a month now looks less like that character and more like "insert chibi-looking character here".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm surprised everyone's ragging on this drawing of Sven. To me, he looks a lot more like Sven than he has done in a while. The last time we saw him he was channeling Marten.. Or possibly Angus.

Here, he at least has the proper body shape and glasses. It's a distinct improvement, and I recognized him instantly.

When I get confused about which characters are which, it isn't a joke. I genuinely cannot tell who some of the characters are sometimes. I mostly use context to separate Dora and Emily these days. Sven is usually identifiable by long brown hair + glasses. In my example above he had Marten's face, no glasses, and Angus's hair. The only identifier was Hannelore addressing him by name.

What I find weirdest about it is that other cartoonists don't have this problem. They tend to evolve their art style for the first several years, then settle in to a "signature look" for their characters. The art style will evolve a bit over time, but the changes will be subtle and you can only see the difference if you compare two pages from several years apart. Jeph experiments with art styles like crazy. He lets the look one character pollute another, like Hannelore's "big anime eyes" phase when she was hanging out with Marigold a lot. And as mentioned, he straight up forgets how to draw a character that has been absent.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Yeah. My initial reaction was pretty much "okay now who is this guyyyohit'sSven (by context). Sven doesn't look like Sven, but he also doesn't look like anyone else specifically.
    Yeah, as I said, I figured out by the content that it was probably Sven, but when I had just seen the first panel, I thought at first that it was Will, and then I wondered for a moment if Angus was back (and was trying to remember if Angus even knew Momo, especially in her new chassis).

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I can get not recognizing Sven, he got.. kinda generic after his haircut and moving to the more rounded face instead of the much sharper angles he and Dora used to have. But confusing him for Clinton? Different hair color, no hand cover, doesn't have the electric-socket tattoo from Clinton's Wild Night Out..
    Im red-green colorblind, so the hair colors are basically indistinguishable to me. And the hands are small enough details that unless im specifically looking for them, i dont notice them. As the comic was just focusing on Clinton, i assumed it was continuing to follow him. It also makes sense that he would be talking to Momo and May because AI relations and experiences is one of his interests. I can tell them apart now that ive been pointed to the other details, but the facial structure is the same, as is the general hair shape, and Jeph's character design is inconsistent enough that i genuinely thought it was Clinton just being drawn weirdly.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #790
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This represents a good test of the earnestness of the terms of Sven and May's relationship, as if they are both being forthright, there should be no issue with Sven saying something to the tune of, "You know, Momo, that's not off the table as things stand."

Though truthfully, I think Sven is probably concerned with more salient novelties at present.
    Last edited by VoxRationis; 2020-11-17 at 12:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Troll in the Playground

In related art-inconsistency weirdness in the comic, the eyebrows on May's new body are freaking growing from one scene to the next.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

12. - Top - End - #792
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Mostly I think he's just weirded out. His cute robot sex-buddy has suddenly become a 6ft Amazon out of nowhere, and the pink-haired adolescent-presenting girl with her has just started frantically ranting a list of euphemisms at him.

Even by QC standards, that's pretty unsettling for something that doesn't involve a reindeer.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ettin in the Playground

Today's strip clarifies a lot. He's disturbed because he helped pay for the body and is having an ethical conflict.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Bugbear in the Playground

With regard to characters changing and being unrecognisable, I feel like while the art style changes quite a bit, the characters tend to have characteristic expressions (or facial postures) that make them easy enough for me to recognise. I dunno what that says about the emotional range of the characters themselves though. And I say this as someone who has trouble with individual faces IRL - I tend to rely on hair, body shape and posture, gait and movement, voice etc. Maybe body posture has something to do with it in QC too?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

15. - Top - End - #795

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Today's strip clarifies a lot. He's disturbed because he helped pay for the body and is having an ethical conflict.
    I think the ethical conflict only counts if he feels he is owed sex for his donation, or if SHE feels she "owes" him sex. Considering how much she enjoyed sex with him before he ever did anything for her and how she is probably eager to try out her new form, I imagine the idea never entered her head until he put it there. So there isnt really an issue unless now they both get self conscious about it.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Which it seems like she has. Still cant fault Sven for being honest about something that was bothering him.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

Did she steal those eyebrows off the set of FLCL?
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2020-11-19 at 10:34 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Well, yet another potential pairing bites the dust (at least for the foreseeable future). Wonder if this means Momo gets another shot (and if she still want it).

19. - Top - End - #799

This seemed like a really abrupt way of jeph ending a potential relationship.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

One person does something kind and generous for another, so any potential relationship would be strange.

OK...

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wasnt Sven specifically concerned about exactly this kind of awkwardness when he considered contributing?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    One person does something kind and generous for another, so any potential relationship would be strange.

OK...
    It tends to be rather difficult for people to separate feelings from sex, and a sexual relationship where one party has a pervasive feeling of "I owe this person a great deal" and the other person has the pervasive feeling of "I made a not-insignificant contribution to the purchase of this body- what exactly does that say about the person inside of it?" can feel a little awkward.

23. - Top - End - #803

Griffon

Just as equally, Sven doesn't know how to have a relationship. He's brought it up before, he was more of a Hook Up And Done kind of guy before Faye, and since has taken time off to consider his attitude and grow a little bit more mature. And May is just generally a misanthrope whose heart may or may not have grown 3 sizes since she became Dale's unofficial robo-buddy, so her experience in the area is similarly limited.

Gain points for him for recognising that his power dynamic with May might be weird; Lose points for not realising it's something they can just discuss and come to a non-awkward agreement over. Relationship drama is the only Status Quo in QC.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Did she steal those eyebrows off the set of FLCL?
    Evidently she swapped them for the text on her panel 5 T-Shirt.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-11-19 at 12:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    It tends to be rather difficult for people to separate feelings from sex, and a sexual relationship where one party has a pervasive feeling of "I owe this person a great deal" and the other person has the pervasive feeling of "I made a not-insignificant contribution to the purchase of this body- what exactly does that say about the person inside of it?" can feel a little awkward.
    Even if there's no reason to think that Sven is one of those guys who might '[do] something kind and generous for another' and then there being an overhanging expectation or the like, there's no way May would not be aware of that scenario, and it can feed her boundaries of what is acceptable.

Wasnt Sven specifically concerned about exactly this kind of awkwardness when he considered contributing?
    Oh yes, he saw a potential hazard coming down the pike, watched it get nearer, and then ran right into it. It wouldn't be a sitcom if people didn't cause themselves problems that could have easily been solved with an earnest conversation or the like.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh man, a reference to something that happened more than 30 strips ago! How odd.

26. - Top - End - #806

Griffon

Oh man, a reference to something that happened more than 30 strips ago! How odd.
    Wait a minute, waitaminute.... Dora is getting married!?! Did she propose or did Marten!?!

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    All I can think of with this new strip is "an unusual number of watermelons with holes drilled out of them."

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

QC appears to be down right now, with some sketch thing about cloudflare offering a memcached version.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Gain points for him for recognising that his power dynamic with May might be weird; Lose points for not realising it's something they can just discuss and come to a non-awkward agreement over. Relationship drama is the only Status Quo in QC.
    Kinda less-so right now. The people actually in a committed relationship are all in stable relationships right now. The drama is from the people not yet in a relationship but that are clearly trying. Hook-up drama is definitely the status-quo in QC though. Ever since Marten and Faye got back on the market (so to speak), their group's relationships have reached stability.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dora (soon): "So why was he worried a false word would get me to call of my wedding? Does he know something that I don't? And knows that if he reveals it, I would call it off? But if it's so bad, why would he not tell me? Is he involved? Is it related to the girl he just broke up with? Is it Tai? Did he sleep with Tai? How long has that been going on? It must have been a long time if he considered it "seeing each other"! OMG I'm such a fool, I'll call off the wedding right now!"