New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

"Such a..." what, Aurelia?

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

From what we've seen of Mrs. Augustus' love life, Elliot is at least as much her type as Clinton's....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-03-10 at 03:20 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    this one is the one I first thought of for comparison. I always get a bit sad when I see what the art evolution has currently led to; I like that it's always changing slowly, but this particular stage needn't last too long for my personal taste.

And I really hope this won't lead to Ms. Augustus showing overly-overt signs of attraction to Elliot. Neither he nor Clinton should have to go through that.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In retrospect, I should have foreseen this development.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ogre in the Playground

Aurelia Cotta was the name of Gaius Julius Caesar's mother - and, since he legally adopted Gaius Octavian who was later Augustus, technically Augustus' grandmother.

Fun times.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Aurelia Cotta was the name of Gaius Julius Caesar's mother - and, since he legally adopted Gaius Octavian who was later Augustus, technically Augustus' grandmother.

Fun times.
    Aurelius was a very distinguished plebeian* family name in ancient Rome, and daughter of these families were usually named in the feminine version of their family name (Julius Caesar's daughter and sister were all named Julia).

So there were a *lot* of Aurelia. The gens came from "Gold", which is why most adjectives in Latin languages referring to gold has "Aur" (hell, French for Gold is "Or")

*Plebeian in this case meant non-Patrician, but certainly did not meant non-nobility. Some of the most respectful and prestigious Roman families were Plebeian. Patrician status is just akin to "nobility with a lineage tracing back to a royal family of Royal Rome"

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    this one is the one I first thought of for comparison. I always get a bit sad when I see what the art evolution has currently led to; I like that it's always changing slowly, but this particular stage needn't last too long for my personal taste.
    Okay, now we have two good examples. Good call both Taevyr and Max. I contend that it still isn't strictly a recent phenomenon that the older characters only look old when Jeph remembers.

And I really hope this won't lead to Ms. Augustus showing overly-overt signs of attraction to Elliot. Neither he nor Clinton should have to go through that.
    No one here benefits from this situation, excepting maybe the audience (depending on how much they like embarrassment humor). That said, this is the kind of thing that could kill the Clinton-Elliot relationship without either of them doing something to make them unlikable. If Jeph was going for the 'will they or won't they, oh look I guess they won't' plot that their previous lack of real chemistry might suggest, this could be a way for him to do it (not a particularly rewarding one, so I'm not putting money on it). I'm just assuming that this is another 'wacky hijinks!' to get the sitcom episode up to the needed 22.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

At this point I'm starting to wonder if Jeph is going to just keep throwing more and more attractive and/or attracted people into Clinton & Elliot's orbit as the issue gets danced around, only to have Yelling Bird scream "AND THEN THEY ALL F***ED" and end with a heavily-censor-barred full panel announcing the end of the comic (or at least of that particular subplot/storyline).

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlipp View Post
    At this point I'm starting to wonder if Jeph is going to just keep throwing more and more attractive and/or attracted people into Clinton & Elliot's orbit as the issue gets danced around, only to have Yelling Bird scream "AND THEN THEY ALL F***ED" and end with a heavily-censor-barred full panel announcing the end of the comic (or at least of that particular subplot/storyline).
    I thought Jeph discontinued Yelling Bird because he personally came to really dislike the mentality he had to be in to write that kind of strip?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Okay, now we have two good examples. Good call both Taevyr and Max. I contend that it still isn't strictly a recent phenomenon that the older characters only look old when Jeph remembers.
    I think it's just part of the broader issue with Jeph's characters tending to blur towards similar appearances as his art has drifted through various styles.

No one here benefits from this situation, excepting maybe the audience (depending on how much they like embarrassment humor). That said, this is the kind of thing that could kill the Clinton-Elliot relationship without either of them doing something to make them unlikable. If Jeph was going for the 'will they or won't they, oh look I guess they won't' plot that their previous lack of real chemistry might suggest, this could be a way for him to do it (not a particularly rewarding one, so I'm not putting money on it). I'm just assuming that this is another 'wacky hijinks!' to get the sitcom episode up to the needed 22.
    I'm not a fan of lots of embarrassment/discomfort "humor", so these things get old fast for me.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I thought Jeph discontinued Yelling Bird because he personally came to really dislike the mentality he had to be in to write that kind of strip?
    Yeah, If I'm not mistaken it was mainly that, and the fact that it had become rather repetitive

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    Yeah, If I'm not mistaken it was mainly that, and the fact that it had become rather repetitive
    Totally understandable.

But oh man, did I laugh at Yelling Bird. And I don't even like cussing humour usually

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Totally understandable.

But oh man, did I laugh at Yelling Bird. And I don't even like cussing humour usually
    Yelling Bird works as its' own thing. Perhaps the foul mouthed iteration of Dinosaur Comics.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

Yelling Bird works as its' own thing. Perhaps the foul mouthed iteration of Dinosaur Comics.
    ... I never enjoyed Dinosaur Comics.

but I accepted the fact that many people have different taste than me.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

... I never enjoyed Dinosaur Comics.

but I accepted the fact that many people have different taste than me.
    That's fine. I just mean any one of dozens of comics which use isolated semi-topical situations or places where a pseudo-rant makes sense. XKCD would be another place where it would work. Perry Bible Fellowship. Something like that. Even Something Positive where about 25-50% of the strips are not related to the ongoing storyline. I can understand why trying to write for Yelling Bird would be a hard orthogonal turn for Jeph and perhaps some other strip would find better use for the setup, is my point.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

That makes sense, honestly that particular punchline was just on my mind anyway due to some recent archive-trawling.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I always thought YB was just his way of letting off steam, not something he did deliberately or felt obligated to include. It certainly felt like there was a tonal shift in the main comic after YB's end.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I always thought YB was just his way of letting off steam, not something he did deliberately or felt obligated to include. It certainly felt like there was a tonal shift in the main comic after YB's end.
    Yes, exactly. I think I enjoyed YB because it was such a massive shift from the standard QC content, I found the whiplash absolutely hilarious.

It's like watching Alice in Wonderland in the original animation, and Alice suddenly lets out a cuss word in reaction of the Chescher Cat.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yelling Bird and company were an exaggerated form of the sort of transgressive humor which typified the earlier part of the strip's run. That sort of thing was very much in vogue in the 2000s.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm not a fan of lots of embarrassment/discomfort "humor", so these things get old fast for me.
    Im suddenly reminded that im quite in agreement with you.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Is it weird that I'm actively hoping for Elliot to hook up with Aurelia Augustus? She's fun, and it would put an end to this excruciating charade where Clinton/Elliot think she doesn't know they're courting.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, this entire story arc is just kind of unpleasant.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground

For me, the problem I have about Clinton is that he seems to entertain the possibility on an intellectual level without actually having some romantic or sexual drive toward Elliot.

Like... He acts like that girl whose male best friend is into her, and she basically says yes to dating him because "it seems the logical and nice thing to do" without having the actual emotion to justify that step. It usually dont end well

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For me, the problem I have about Clinton is that he seems to entertain the possibility on an intellectual level without actually having some romantic or sexual drive toward Elliot.

Like... He acts like that girl whose male best friend is into her, and she basically says yes to dating him because "it seems the logical and nice thing to do" without having the actual emotion to justify that step. It usually dont end well
    Yeah, i think thats what gets me about this too. Its been exclusively "I am open to the idea of being gay or bi" and absolutely no "I am actually attracted to this man in particular." between them.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, i think thats what gets me about this too. Its been exclusively "I am open to the idea of being gay or bi" and absolutely no "I am actually attracted to this man in particular." between them.
    Frankly, this plot arc has come across more as Clinton thinking "I should be open to this if I'm a good person" and less as a matter of real feeling.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

Frankly, this plot arc has come across more as Clinton thinking "I should be open to this if I'm a good person" and less as a matter of real feeling.
    Which, you know, is NOT a bad point of view. But Clinton should also be honest with himself and not force it just for the sake of being a good person.

Like, a girl shouldn't "be open to sleeping with her best friend if she's a good person". That's not how this works.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Is it weird that I'm actively hoping for Elliot to hook up with Aurelia Augustus? She's fun, and it would put an end to this excruciating charade where Clinton/Elliot think she doesn't know they're courting.
    Well, she definitely knows now, at least.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I keep seeing this argument floated in these forums, and I don't know if people are forgetting this comic exists or if they just think it's insufficient as evidence that, when he actually sets his preconceptions aside, Clinton is actually attracted to Elliot (and not just men in general, the mental exercise was regarding Elliot specifically).

I'm just sayin', Clinton's face in the last two panels of that comic do not look like expressions of societal obligation.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, I don't think there's any ambiguity that Jeph means both the characters to be genuinely attracted to each other. Whether he's getting that across well is of course open to debate.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Yeah, I don't think there's any ambiguity that Jeph means both the characters to be genuinely attracted to each other. Whether he's getting that across well is of course open to debate.
    Its not even that. Its just a really bad case of "show, don't tell." We are told that Clinton is attracted to Elliot. There has been very little time devoted to looking at Clinton's feelings about Elliot, and a lot of soul searching about whether he is gay overall.

And frankly, absent the predetermined idea that Clinton is attracted to Elliot, this whole sequence changes wildly in tone. If you need to spend that much time thinking about whether you're superficially attracted to somebody, you probably arent.