New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

Very nice, so it did go somewhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm usually more optimistic about the comic in general, but I'm getting the inexplicable yet distinct vibe that we're about to get another "AI as racial analogue" subplot.

I really hope in wrong.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #123

Griffon

10 minutes after getting sad and angry and undergoing a breaking, revelatory moment of emotion and tension as you finally admit to yourself that you can move on from the suicide of your father, probably isn't the best time to be having this conversation with your conservative Southern Baptist mother.

Not saying it doesn't need to be done. I'm saying sleep on it, and go into it fresh tomorrow morning when you're in a better frame of mind, is all.

Unless Mrs. Whittaker is going to do a complete 180 degree turn on her personality and be surprisingly supportive, of course. That might happen, since Jeph seems to be making everyone make friends recently...
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't Faye's sister gay and supported? I remember something like that.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, she had time to accept that her other daughter is a lesbian already. She was shocked and everything at the start, but seems to be supportive enough about it, by now, from what I remember from the sisters last visit.

So, I feel there's a decent chance this will not go as off the rails as it could. She's not your "typical" southern baptist. Of course, Bubbles is also a robot, so there's still some tension there

6. - Top - End - #126

Griffon

The first time we met Amanda, Faye's sister, was when her mom caught her in bed with another girl and she was thrown out of the house - Although admittedly that was a combination of other poor decisions, like spontaneously also finding out that Amanda had changed her major from pre-med to modern dance without telling anyone. They're since made up.

The implication being, I believe, that Mrs Whittaker is a lot like Faye herself - sensitive and caring, but quick to angry outbursts that she later regrets and has to make amends for. There may be an initial outburst, but it'll probably work out okay in the end *if* Faye
    is in the frame of mind to recognise that and doesn't dig herself into a shallow grave
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-06-09 at 05:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Colossus in the Playground

You know at first I was giggling, "Bubs, its a phone call, you dont have to dress up!" Now im like, "Oh, good idea Bubs. Didnt think about this option."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Bubs looking adorable.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

It's quite interesting seeing the conversation framed within screens. Not terribly imaginative, but it's weirdly meta all the same.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well so far this worked better than some people expected. Faye's not been disowned yet, and the mom didn't have a heart attack and died either.

11. - Top - End - #131

Griffon

Turns out that all of the ruckus about Amanda being a lesbian, wasn't anything to do with the "being a lesbian" part and was entirely based on the "Amanda" bit.

...Also being the youngest child of my family, I have to say that I both recognise this as likely but also resent being called out like this.

12. - Top - End - #132

Nice battery percentage on that phone, Mrs. Whittaker.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Turns out that all of the ruckus about Amanda being a lesbian, wasn't anything to do with the "being a lesbian" part and was entirely based on the "Amanda" bit.

...Also being the youngest child of my family, I have to say that I both recognise this as likely but also resent being called out like this.
    Most of the ruckus was teenage drama and her mom walking in on her while she was mid coitus with her girlfriend. I dont think her preferences were in the top 5 of issues mom was having. Also, you know, stealing her credit card to pay for a plane ticket to Mass so she could visit faye.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Well so far this worked better than some people expected. Faye's not been disowned yet, and the mom didn't have a heart attack and died either.
    and to the interesting part
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

15. - Top - End - #135

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Most of the ruckus was teenage drama and her mom walking in on her while she was mid coitus with her girlfriend. I dont think her preferences were in the top 5 of issues mom was having. Also, you know, stealing her credit card to pay for a plane ticket to Mass so she could visit faye.
    Specifically that she was mid-coitus with someone she met while underage drinking and living under the roof of a teetotaller, and was discovered in the act when Mrs Whittaker was seeking her out to find out why she had transferred to a "useless" degree (QC's words, not mine, for the Dance majors out there ). Being outed at the same time was certainly a surprise, but yeah, not the most important detail.

The credit card thing came after - Amanda was thrown out, so she took the card with her. Mom was already mad at that point, and theft/fraud was her escape plan.
    Or at least that's her side of the story - what actually seems to have happened is that she and her mom got into a big argument and she stormed out, then told Faye she had been kicked out. I don't think we've ever heard Mom's side of the story, or have any specific evidence that Amanda was ordered to go. From what else we've seen of Amanda and her Mom's immediate invitation to come home and talk about it, she may have been generating more unnecessary drama there. Or was just lying to get Faye on her side, if we wanted to be uncharitable.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-06-11 at 02:40 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Five shiny quatloos says this ends with Faye getting disinherited
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

17. - Top - End - #137

AssassinGuy

Bubbles just scored a few points I think
    * my emphasis

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

"Yay" reminding us that she's a horrible being that needs serious downgrading.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Yeah, reminding viewers that one of your characters is capable of completely ignoring privacy and has knowledge of every event isn't great.

20. - Top - End - #140

Honestly, I prefer it being shown that it hasn't been forgotten or swept under the rug. It gives me hope that there will be a follow-up and the problem will be confronted.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Honestly, I prefer it being shown that it hasn't been forgotten or swept under the rug. It gives me hope that there will be a follow-up and the problem will be confronted.
    With any luck.

My preferred solution is for Yay to say "I have to go now, my planet needs me".

22. - Top - End - #142

She's an anomaly, so I wouldn't be too surprised if, one day, the conditions necessary to her existence were to end and she just stopped existing.

For that to be satisfying (not as "ha ha, she's dead", but as it having the right impact), however, this privacy issue would need to be resolved first.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

I can see why Yay would be constantly monitoring for anything pertaining to them. There'd be normal stuff like Faye and Bubbles talking. There's be speculation among the higher level AIs and humans like Station and Hanner's father as to what they could be and their motives. And then, as an offshoot of that, there'd be those whose response would be "This is a danger to us. We must find a way to destroy or subsume this entity, regardless of the costs. Gather all information and target all those who know anything about them."

An ounce of prevention is worth having to destroy clandestine organizations by orbital bombardment.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm not normally one to gripe on this thread, but I really don't like Yay.

I mean, they're fine as a character, "Weird, somewhat sinister Super-AI trying to be a good friend" isn't a terrible character concept.
    But, they just kind of, Loom over the rest of the story in a way that really isn't necessary, because their proven influence and capabilities are just, so powerful, for a story about twentysomethings dealing with drama.

Like, okay, we already had Station get called in on the Bubbles Memory problem, but couldn't do it, so Yay shows up out of nowhere as an even more super-AI who happened to be listening in and wants to make all the problems go away. And now Yay, basically a god in the scale of the story being told, is here, hanging out.

Like, let me spin you an alternate version of events really fast.

Hannalore asks Station "Hey Station, my friend Bubbles is being held hostage with a memory lock, can you help her out?"
    Station "Sure, as a powerful AI, I can and will gladly intervene in this very specific situation"

Or
    Station "I can't help myself, but I happen to know an AI that can, let me introduce you to a skilled AI technician to undo Corpse Witch's work".

And said Technician could even be a snarky, ominous, vaguely sinister Spooky AI who ends up befriending Roko later. They could even do the multiple-bodies thing, all without introducing this random robo-god who shows up by knocking out a room full of people.

Like, I'm fine with 90% of what Yay does in the story, but there's always this lurking fact that Roko and Melon are hanging out with a character that exists on a whole other scale than the rest of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I can see why Yay would be constantly monitoring for anything pertaining to them. There'd be normal stuff like Faye and Bubbles talking. There's be speculation among the higher level AIs and humans like Station and Hanner's father as to what they could be and their motives. And then, as an offshoot of that, there'd be those whose response would be "This is a danger to us. We must find a way to destroy or subsume this entity, regardless of the costs. Gather all information and target all those who know anything about them."

An ounce of prevention is worth having to destroy clandestine organizations by orbital bombardment.
    Im going to go one step further and suggest that Yay is just nosy and rude.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post

So it's OK to spy on people as long as you're paranoid and powerful enough to get away with it?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Im going to go one step further and suggest that Yay is just nosy and rude.
    Well, yes. That's a given. But it doesn't invalidate the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    So it's OK to spy on people as long as you're paranoid and powerful enough to get away with it?
    Are you spying on people if they're talking about you within your hearing? If Yay's description of their sensory abilities is accurate, they 'hear' an enormous amount. I doubt everything on Earth, but I wouldn't rule it out. I would not say it is OK, any more than I would say it is OK for trees to fall in the forest. It happens. A value judgement is irrelevant.

Now, if Yay were able to erect filters on their perceptions, and doesn't, THAT would be a different matter.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I'm not normally one to gripe on this thread, but I really don't like Yay.
    Like, I'm fine with 90% of what Yay does in the story, but there's always this lurking fact that Roko and Melon are hanging out with a character that exists on a whole other scale than the rest of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Yay is getting called out on this by their friend, so it seems to me that Jeph is aware of this problem, and treating Yay learning that they shouldn't play god and expect to also be that wacky neighbor who hangs out and swaps cute dog pics as a substantive plot arc.

That doesn't change the fact that having someone who can solve this many problems doesn't cause an imbalance in the worldbuilding. Schlock Mercenary had it with Petey -- even when they say they won't intervene for X, Y or Z reasons, you always knew that they could.

All in all, I think Yay was a mistake in the first place, but I'm willing to wait and see if Jeph does something interesting with them going forward.

29. - Top - End - #149

Griffon

I have inferred from previous conversations that Yay is accessing places like Coffee 'O' Doom and hearing their conversations via their wifi router and/or cell phone signals, stuff like that - they're not "overhearing it" like Faye and Bubbles were talking loudly in the next room. This suggests that they are doing so actively and could simply choose not to, if they wanted.

Security, paranoia and everything aside; they literally just eaves-dropped on a conversation wherein Faye came out to her mother, a conversation that has absolutely no tactical value. Yay absolute is rude and obnoxious, and is spying on people for their own amusement.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-06-22 at 11:56 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150

AssassinGuy

I think they are hilarious.
    they remind me of Mr. Rabbit in „Rainbows End“ by Vernor Vinge
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2020-06-22 at 01:24 PM.
    * my emphasis