New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content XVI: Yes, Butt

Apparently we *are* completely done with the weed thing. No input from Dora, no commentary from anyone else; Everything Tai says should be taken at face value, all criticism is unnecessary, next scene please?

Maybe it's a Rule-of-3 thing and it'll come up one more time making it seem significant before anyone acts on it? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen though.

In other news: In my head I know that Beeps just described her morning routine to Roko and we got to see it drawn out because we're the audience and it's a visual medium, but from the dialogue it also kind of looks like Roko and Beeps are living together, and Roko just witnessed all of that with us.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The first time I noticed this effect was when my mother went back to England for an extended period. She had been back in Manchester for a couple moths and she called me. I was convinced she was one of my aunts when I answered the phone. Despite living in the Southern US for 20 years it took all of a couple months for her Mancunian accent to reassert itself..
    I've never even lived in the more western parts of Switzerland, but spending a weekend with my cousins is all it takes for some parts of my grammar to flip.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there any possibility that "Munroe Robotics" is referencing anybody except Randal Munroe (the XKCD guy)?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Honestly, I think I'd be more surprised if Jeph introduced a well-adjusted, professional character at this point. It seems like a miracle that society still functions when so many characters are wacky and incompetent at their jobs.

5. - Top - End - #185

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Honestly, I think I'd be more surprised if Jeph introduced a well-adjusted, professional character at this point. It seems like a miracle that society still functions when so many characters are wacky and incompetent at their jobs.
    That one government official that Roko hates seemed competent. Not polite, but competent.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm sorry, but the only thing I can think of right now is this: She meets with the CEO of a big company to convince them of her "free bodies for convicts" idea, and THIS is what she decides to wear?

7. - Top - End - #187

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    I'm sorry, but the only thing I can think of right now is this: She meets with the CEO of a big company to convince them of her "free bodies for convicts" idea, and THIS is what she decides to wear?
    It also seems to be a VR call. She could wear literally anything.

8. - Top - End - #188

Griffon

...So.... Roko has a problem with getting AI's access to cheap spare parts, and to resolve that she just goes and asks an in-universe equivalent to Elon Musk in person to deal with it?

There's quite a lot to unpack in that scenario, starting with "that is amazingly convenient" while skipping quickly and without comment through "billionaires are a disease" on route to "rich white guy solves everything for the poor funny-coloured people".

C'mon Jeph; you can do better than that.

9. - Top - End - #189

SwashbucklerGuy

I was expecting her to meet with some politicians and instantly sway them with a powerpoint presentation that she spent about two weeks researching for. At least it's more plausible for Roko to convince Not-Elon Musk to help? Still a pretty dumb solution to a complex problem.

10. - Top - End - #190

She never said she was talking with the ceo, its just "some people" So this guy could be anywhere from middle management to ceo. But I would expect her in that case to phrase it as "Im meeting with the head of the company" rather than "some people" For all we know this is the sales manager for the company who has to approve of an idea before it can be kicked up the chain of command.
    Last edited by Traab; 2020-07-03 at 01:29 PM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    She never said she was talking with the ceo, its just "some people" So this guy could be anywhere from middle management to ceo. But I would expect her in that case to phrase it as "Im meeting with the head of the company" rather than "some people" For all we know this is the sales manager for the company who has to approve of an idea before it can be kicked up the chain of command.
    The company is named Munroe Robotics and she's talking to Mr. Munroe. Either there's nepotism going on or he's the CEO/company founder.

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The company is named Munroe Robotics and she's talking to Mr. Munroe. Either there's nepotism going on or he's the CEO/company founder.
    Will Tilly appear?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #193

Fair point, I missed that part. Still, we do have other interesting issues like, how are they all in cyber space? Did this guy invent a way to basically meet with AI on their turf like its the matrix or something?

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Compared to a lot of the outlandish technology that the characters take for granted, Mr. Munroe meeting them in cyberspace is pretty mundane. He gets a VR rig, the AIs do their out-of-body AI thing, and they all have a Zoom call.

15. - Top - End - #195

Griffon

I honestly thought I was being facetious when I suggested that this guy was a stand-in for Elon Musk, but that "let's do the weird thing, what do you mean we've been running at a deficit for along time" thing just made me realise that Jeph Jaques is clearly reading my thoughts and stealing them for his comic. Or something.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-07-06 at 03:19 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196

I think that there really is an Elon Musk vibe to him -- approaching communication from a somewhat informal, overenthusiastic angle, and an "everything is in our reach" attitude. The "no money" part also fits the bill.

However, if it was Elon Musk, he wouldn't be concerned by the lack of money, since after Paypal he has generally been in deficit and thrived on investors money. He would recapitalise or start a new venture, and people would throw their money at him.

And then there would be a weird tweet sinking the value of his stocks, and that is something that feels like it came directly from QC.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #197

Pretty much any company runs at a deficit for years before they become profitable. Amazon, iirc, was losing money at a ferocious rate for years because it was constantly being expanded. It applies to small businesses too. My dad owned a car stereo shop decades back when that was still a thing, it was years before it turned a profit because dad kept funneling every penny back into it to make it bigger and better. I do agree that this has a strong elon muskish vibe to it, I just wanted to point that out.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

...or if "Munroe Robotics" is, at least in part, a tribute to xkcd, then poor Roko has landed a meeting with Beret Guy.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    ...or if "Munroe Robotics" is, at least in part, a tribute to xkcd, then poor Roko has landed a meeting with Beret Guy.
    Here's hoping. Beret Guy may be impossible to work with, but he never lets a little thing like reality stand in the way of what he wants to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

20. - Top - End - #200
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

At least it wasn't Black Hat.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    At least it wasn't Black Hat.
    "Body contained frenzied badger. Would not use again. Also, didn't include charging cord compatible with badger."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

This is kind of dumb. An initiative like the one Roko is proposing would be a huge benefit to any such company. Not only would there be the obvious good PR, but you'd gain a potential source of funding from various NGOs, generate reliable demand for spare parts (there's going to be a solid chunk of the AI populace using YOUR body, so they'll come to you when parts inevitably wear out), and your product will be right in all kinds of spotlights.

Fundamentally, it is the same as Henry Ford making sure his employees could afford a Model T. The fallout benefits far outweighed the initial costs.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    This is kind of dumb. An initiative like the one Roko is proposing would be a huge benefit to any such company. Not only would there be the obvious good PR, but you'd gain a potential source of funding from various NGOs, generate reliable demand for spare parts (there's going to be a solid chunk of the AI populace using YOUR body, so they'll come to you when parts inevitably wear out), and your product will be right in all kinds of spotlights.

Fundamentally, it is the same as Henry Ford making sure his employees could afford a Model T. The fallout benefits far outweighed the initial costs.
    I think in this case the problem is the on-hand cash needed to kickstart the process.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #204

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm not sure it would be that great PR, unless QC world is significantly more progressive than the real one. People in general are pretty biased against convicted criminals. I mean that's the issue Roko is trying to solve in the first place.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    I'm not sure it would be that great PR, unless QC world is significantly more progressive than the real one. People in general are pretty biased against convicted criminals. I mean that's the issue Roko is trying to solve in the first place.
    If you play it as an attempt to reduce recidivism then you could probably pull it off.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    If you play it as an attempt to reduce recidivism then you could probably pull it off.
    Sure, it might play well in the papers, but, like, your brand is going to become associated with ex-cons, which isn't going to help sales. Even if people support the initiative in general (Which is hardly a given), they might not want to buy a chassis that is known for being given to ex-convicts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Sure, it might play well in the papers, but, like, your brand is going to become associated with ex-cons, which isn't going to help sales. Even if people support the initiative in general (Which is hardly a given), they might not want to buy a chassis that is known for being given to ex-convicts.
    I believe the point is that the ex-cons would be buying parts and support for the chassis.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I feel this is a giant setup, so that Roko realizes "Humans are to dumb to change things, let's ask Yay to snap their finger and fix it all"

29. - Top - End - #209

I feel this is a giant setup, so that Roko realizes "Humans are to dumb to change things, let's ask Yay to snap their finger and fix it all"
    Well they can change file formats all right!

30. - Top - End - #210

Griffon

If only Yay hadn't given away all of their money and were still a billionaire, they could front the cash right away and it would still count as charitable donations to support AI ex-cons in need just like Roko asked them to do....

I'm honestly quite confused as to the message that Jeph is conveying in this recent arc, or where he's going with it.
    On the one hand, he's pretty consistent with rhetoric like "Billionaires are criminals" and "capitalism is a crime", but this arc almost feels like it's apologetic to Elon Musk-esque factory owners, explaining how they are innocently naive to the world's problems but when brought to their attention they have many financial commitments and can't be expected to have piles of cash on hand in order to solve the world's problems even though they want to.

Then again, he's always shown Hannelore and her dad sympathetically, so maybe Jeph's billionaires just happen to be the nice kind... That he has previously insisted don't exist....