New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Beholder

Default Woes of the Viridescent Isle(IC)

The Isle of Elemenia'Raste(Songficus) has always been a dangerous place to live, as mystical creatures both big and small have called the isles home for as long as the civilized races have been keeping records. The Akualinor, the Green elves, have ruled the Isle for over three thousand years. The isle has been kept isolated from outsiders, with very limited trade to Black Fish, a single coastal trade town.

The closest other land is the small village of Fishhook, located at the end of the Sonbahar Peninsula. Fishhook is a sleepy, but busy trade village that supplies loads of fish to passing ships, and is the official trade point for Songficus.

The Rootside Lodge is just outside of Fishhook, along the coast. Built right into the densely root covered sea side cliffs, it is a isolated but well know rest spot.

Your travels have taken each of you to the Rootside Lodge......

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Woes of the Viridescent Isle(IC)

Orat picked her way down the path to the Lodge, wondering what the hell Dorpat had seen in his sticks that he told her this was the next place to go and replaying that conversation in her head..

Fishhook? There's nothing there and no reason for me to go.

"Well that may be precisely why you should go there," replied the Old Priest, "No point sending an augury that tells you to go where you were going to go anyway"

She had grudgingly conceded the point, but even now she wasn't happy.

This had better not involve being on a boat. It probably would though, Caravans never came through here - at least not unless monsters shut the sea routes down, which hadn't happened in a generation, not since the last sahuagin incursion.

Orat hated boats, yeah you were moving, but you were still confined to the bounds of a ship so it's only marginally better than being stuck in an inn.

After taking a single room she settled down to meal of pork in cream and cider source and sipped on some of the local apple brandy, whilst casting her eyes around the room wondering who or what was going to be part of the next part of her life's journey

Spoiler: Roll
    Show

(1d20)[9] Spot +11
    (1d20)[14] Sense Motive +9

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Medywn sat down in the inn, and calmly ordered a plate of chicken and a watered ale.

He looked around as he ate, sizing up the people around him and trying to determine if any of them looked like they might be useful in a fight against a dragon.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aleister walks up to the bar, confident and full of cheer, and grabs a seat on a nearby barstool. He places a single gold coin on the counter and waits for the Innkeeper's attention before speaking:

"Hello, good innkeeper! Could I trouble you for a tankard of your cheapest ale? I've just come into town, and I'm excited to find out what news come in. The name's Aleister, by the way, and you can keep the change.

As he finishes introducing himself, Aleister stretches his hand in an offer to shake the innkeeper's hand.
    ARRRRGH, I'm a pirate, ninjas are no match for me, Yargh!
    Also this awesome avatar was done by KillItWithFire

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nefer

Nefer traveled the whole day, Thandalo her horse, which in her mother tongue meant fiery, carried her across the peninsula to little Fish Hook.

Thandalo went to the stables and Nefer gave a silver coin to the stable master.

She towered most of the people there and walked towards the bar.

Once there she ordered two portions of the largest and heartiest meal available. Then Nefer waited outside until her dogs finally reached the lodge and ate with them, sitting on a stone bench outside the lodge.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ramirez

Ramirez finished bathing and gathered his belonging. Morning had come too early for him. He shuffled down the stairs of the inn into the common area. His hangover flared with every stair.

"Uh why is it so bright in here." He complained to no one. He walks up to the bar. "More ale please."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Beholder

The Rootside Lodge has a massive common room, part of it indoors, but most of it built as a huge deck out over the rocky cliffs overlooking the ocean. Tables and chairs are spread around the whole area, including some portable cloth tarps to block the sun. One section of the common area is set aside as a raised stage for performers.

The innkeeper and staff, like most of the villagers are all half elves.

As the day moves into afternoon more people move into the common room.

The 'keeper shakes Aleister's hand, takes the gold coin, and pours him a clay mug of cheep ale. Fherrol Shannesh"News? Ah, a pack of wild monkeys grabbed some banana's off Lady Rowlea's second tree. I'm Fherrol Shannesh, owner and keeper here. If you need anything just let me or one of my employess know""

A beautiful elven woman in a dark green dress is slowly setting up for a performance on the stage.

Spoiler: Orat
    Show

Spot-nothing really stands out much in the colon room, other then the beautiful elven woman on the stage.
    You don't sense any motive from the room...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Having established to her satisfaction that there's no immediate threat of trouble nor having her coin purse slit Orat relaxes slightly and heads over to the railing at the edge of the deck, listening to the sound of waves crashing to the rocks below. Then tries to find a good spot for the performance.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Medwyn notes the confident looking human in the chain shirt and makes a note to talk to him later as he turns his chair to watch the show.

10. - Top - End - #10

"A pack of wild monkeys!? That does sound kind of exciting! I assume Lady Rowlea must be going bananas over this!" cries out Aleister, pounding his fist on the table and laughing at his own joke. "You wouldn't happen to know where I can find this Lady Rowlea, I'd love to hear about it from the noble lady, herself!"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Bardic Knowledge to see what I already know about Lady Rowlea: (1d20+9)[19]
    Knowledge(Local) to see what I know about the local economy (is the Banana trade a big industry around here?): (1d20+10)[16]
    Diplomacy if needed to convince Fherrol to tell me about Lady Rowlea's whereabouts (Deal: Lady Rowlea's whereabouts for Good Will): (1d20+16)[20]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Wooden foot adheres magically to wooden root as Alistair scuttles across the cliff face, body parallel to the path hundreds of feet below. Clambering languidly over the lattice of growths, he pauses for a moment to enjoy the sensation of wind playing across his skin.

The light source he glimpsed in the early morning dimness is now definitely a village. He wasn't sure before - eyes of pure amber don't see as sharply as the advanced fleshy stuff most humans have.

Finding these cliffs has provided some welcome camouflage. Though the road doesn't seem heavily populated, Alistair is aware that he's out of his element in the wilds and rather strange-looking besides, so the less he's seen the better. Up here, he looks like little more than a strange root formation with a cloak caught on it, and in any case, not that many travellers bother looking up. Soon it will be time to go back down, though, and see if this little settlement contains anyone who can help him find his way to where he's supposed to be going.

It seems promising. Judging by the terrain, this place is probably Fishhook, and at least some of the traders here ought to know a way to the Temple of Heironeous. On the other hand, now that he knows where he is, he also knows that his intended destination is rather far away, at least on a map - a pity that his geographic knowledge doesn't seem to translate very well to actually being able to navigate the land.

Starting off again, Alistair adjusts his course gently downwards. As he draws nearer, he sees a structure protruding from the cliff face far below, just outside the village entrance. A figure sits on a stone bench outside, vaguely recognizable as the traveller who passed by on the path below an hour or two ago on horseback, flanked by two smaller ones, undoubtedly the dogs that trailed behind not long after.

Not a bad first candidate to approach, Alistair thinks, certainly looks like an experienced traveller.

Inclining his path more steeply, Alistair doesn't try to mask the tap and scrape of his limbs against the roots as he climbs down to where the woman sits, eating with her dogs. Though not accustomed to an open approach, in this case it is probably best. Stopping at a point just above her head, he speaks.

"Excuse me, fellow traveller. I apologize for interrupting your meal, but I happen to be quite grievously lost. Would you happen to know a way to the Temple of Heironeous? Preferably one with lots of distinguishable landmarks, as I am not the most proficient at path-finding."

Alistair wonders if there may be other Heironean temples nearby he does not know of, but even if he gets directed to the wrong one, he reasons that they will presumably be able to help him find the one Alice disappeared from.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Before Nefer even notices the approaching Alistair, Pandora and Pollux rise their snouts. Pandora is the most aggressive and shows some grinning teeth. But they never attack unless Nefer wants them to.

The barbarian speaks with a mouthful of lamb stew...

Whtsmmm going on mhmhmh Pandora?

Then she noticed Alistair and heard his questions, but the excitement just prevented her from understanding half of it. She stood up an placed the plate on the stone bench.

A FEY TOUCHED!

Her grandfather had told her endless legends about them, but this was the first she actually saw. Then she realized she was perhaps being too rude. And paid closer attention to the branchy creature's questions.

My name is Nefer, these are Pollux and Pandora. I follow Kord, the Strong. And I just got here so I have no idea where a temple of that description may be.
    I wouldn't mind helping you find it. It's not like I had anything to do anyway....

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well," Alistair exclaims, "I didn't expect to find so ready an ally on the first try!"

He drops to the ground and sinks briefly into a bow. "An honour to meet you, Miss Nefer—and your companions as well," he says, inclining his head in acknowledgement of Pollux and Pandora. "I am Alistair, and fey-touched is indeed one of the things I have been called. I accept your offer of assistance most gratefully."

"However," he continues, straightening up, "given our shared ignorance of the actual path to our destination, it would probably be prudent to find ourselves some sort of map, if not a guide. Perhaps the occupants of the"—a glance at the sign above the building's entrance—"Rootside Lodge might prove helpful to that end."

Moving to the door, Alistair extends a limb to hold it open.

"After you?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nefer

Nefer found this strange fellow funny. She nodded and placed the plate on the ground for her dogs to finish it up.

Yeah, I have just been inside. It is full of people who may help you better than I can. I just came because I want to cross to the Islands and see the green elves.

She gives some instructions to the dogs and moves back inside the lodge.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Alistair follows Nefer into the lodge, easing the door shut behind himself.

He scans the common room silently, partially to see which of the occupants look the most helpful, but mostly to let whatever shock at his appearance there might be pass before he goes to talk to anyone. In his few experiences of polite company outside his family, a sentient tangled wood-thing is not usually an expected addition to any room.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Medwyn glances towards the door and notes two more people walking in with two dogs.

Nothing unusual.

He turns his attention back to the show that's about to start.

Hold on...

He turns back to look over the walking plant that appears to have strolled in. A few seconds later, he realizes he's staring and turns back towards the show.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Orat quietly checks out the two newcomers whilst pretending not to and goes back to her drink

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ramirez

Ramirez openly stares at the newcomers. "How interesting." he says.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

You two are elves. You've been on this rock since my grandpappy was a bawling nub at my great granma's teats. Why you have to stare like a pair of yokels who just fell off the turnip cart?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"I didn't say I had to," Medwyn replies to the interloper as he returns to his meal and waits for the show to start.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-04-27 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Think I picked the wrong color?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"Nothing wrong with a good unashamed stare," remarks Alistair, just loud enough for both Orat and Ramirez to hear. "My own sister is quite the starer. It's the shifty sidelong looks one really needs to watch out for."

He locks his gaze with Ramirez's. "As long as we're at this staring business, though - why don't we have some introductions? My name is Alistair. What's yours?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Beholder

The room fills with a couple locals: half elves in simple homespun green clothing.

Fherrol Shannesh to Aleister "Her stand is right down the street."

Spoiler: Aleister
    Show

Bardic Knowledge: Lady Vrlalla Rowlea is an older half elven female that runs a small fruit stand in the village

Knowledge(Local)-the village does not grow much, the two big trades are fish and fresh water, both to passing ships. The only other major trade is the trade with Isle of Elemenia'Raste.

The beautiful elven woman on the stage sets some instruments to float in mid air: a wood flute, a drum, a bell, and a harp.

The drum then starts to beat a steady thump that is quite loud and echos around the room.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ramirez

"The name is Ramirez" Ramirez says with a big smile. "I meant no offense I assure you. My eyes have a mind of their own, as do my hands and often my tongue. Let me buy you all a drink so I can add 'drunk' to my list of faults".

Ramirez flags down the nearest server and buys the entire room a round - including a glass of wine for the beautiful elf woman on stage.

"sooo.. tell me more about this sister of yours...."
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2020-04-28 at 04:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20+14)[19] for Knowledge: Arcana to know exactly how she's doing that.

25. - Top - End - #25

"Thank you for the information, Fherrol, you've been a great help" nods Aleister, pivoting on his chair to get a better view of the Elven performer. It was always nice to see the work of a fellow musician, and there were plenty of new people to gather stories from in this place. Aleister filed a particular mental note to talk to the plant-like person that walked into the room. It seemed, he made the right choice in coming here.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

On the off chance it is applicable: Bardic Knowledge to see if I would recognize what a Feytouched is (1d20+9)[28]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nefer

As soon as the bard takes the stage, Nefer can't think of anything else. She is fascinated by the woman. She approaches the bar and obliviously asks for a mug of ale to enjoy the show.

When it is finished she claps loudly and enthusiastically, and whistles even louder.

Then she taps vigorously the side of her mug with a spoon and announces:

"I'm Nefer Beastmaster, daughter of Beorn Wolflord, and that is my friend
    -pointing at Alistair-We are looking for a temple of Heironeous.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Beholder

Spoiler: Medwyn
    Show
    KN:Magically animated objects

Spoiler: Aleister
    Show
    Check:The feytouched are humans who have been tainted by fey energies in their bloodline. Perhaps an ancestor was a nymph, or a fomorian. Perhaps they have simply lived in the fey realms for generations, becoming slowly acclimated to the plane in which they dwell. Whatever the case, these creatures are mostly human, but carry with them a small hint of something unearthly and magical.

Fherrol Shannesh "nearest temple of Heironeous? Hop on the next boat east 2,000 lieges or so in the city of HighPort"

Each of the instruments on the stage starts to play by itself, all playing a tune. Then the elven woman breaks into a slow song.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok'n'Roll View Post
    . Let me buy you all a drink so I can add 'drunk' to my list of faults".[/COLOR]
    Orat leaves her spot and moves with surprising speed and grace to the bar before he changes his mind.

Hello new best friend. Orat Eler, scout, wanderer and servant of Dweller on the Horizon, she bows, At your service

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Alistair follows Nefer up to the bar, then moves to sit beside Ramirez. He turns a chair around and perches on it backwards, an arrangement that suits his physical peculiarities better.

"There are many things I could tell you about my sister, but the most immediate is that she's missing." Alistair says. "She was in training at a Heironean temple, but then we got a letter from them saying she'd disappeared. Our mother sent me to find her, but unfortunately, I seem to have gotten a little lost myself on the way."

Alistair says the last part with a dry, self-deprecating tone, then pauses briefly before continuing.

"On the bright side, though, I've just today gained an ally in my mission—Mistress Nefer here." The statement is punctuated with a gesture of a branch in Nefer's direction. "She has no more idea than I of how to get there from here, so we're looking for some help in that regard."

----------

Engrossed in the conversation with Ramirez and not blessed with the sensitive aural membranes of more fleshy beings, Alistair doesn't quite catch the innkeeper's response to Nefer's announcement, though he manages to hear him mention Heironeous, and his head whips round.

"What did you say about Heironeous? Sorry, but could you repeat it? I'm a little hard of hearing."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Medwyn keeps half an ear on the conversation nearby while continuing to watch the show.