New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Beholder

Default Re: Woes of the Viridescent Isle(IC)

Fherrol Shannesh "Yes, that is what I said. Not around here"

The elven woman preforms several more songs, then stands in the middle of the stage. Several people clip lightly.

Ildilyntra Qinqirelle "Thank you. I'm Ildilyntra Qinqirelle Prismatic Philosopher of Kirith Sotheril . And I did not just come here to preform for you. I'm from the nearby Isle of SongFicus. And I came here looking for help. "

Ildilyntra Qinqirelle looks around the room, making breif eye contact with everyone.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Medwyn raises his eyebrows. The dragon, right?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

"What sort of help, ma'am?"" asks Aleister before switching to Elvish "If it is within my power, I'd happily do it in exchange for your stories"

Aleister waits for a response to his request with a greedy gleam in his eyes. Hundreds of years of stories to hear would be an utter gold mine to his pursuits, especially coming from a scholar amongst the elves.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Bardic Knowledge, Knowledge(Local) and Knowledge(History) to know more about Prismatic Philosophers / Kirith Sotheril

Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+9)[15]
    Knowledge(Local): (1d20+10)[26]
    Knowledge(History): (1d20+10)[11]
    ARRRRGH, I'm a pirate, ninjas are no match for me, Yargh!
    Also this awesome avatar was done by KillItWithFire

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ramirez

"A literal damsel in distress." Ramirez says quietly to Alistair. "I hope you find her safe. Perhaps I'll assist you."

Ramirez turned to listen to the elf woman, Ildilyntra and nodded.

"What a coincidence. Yet another damsel in distress - somewhat of an epidemic. One more then a hero of my capacity can help." He says to Alistair.

Ramirez mulls the situation as he swills his ale around making sloshing noises.

"Far be it for me to tell you your business as we've just met, but I am going to tell you your business friend Alistair." Ramirez finishes off his drink and lets out a small 'ahhh' as he licks his lips.

"It seems to me that going to HighPort might be a waste of time. Its 2000 lieges according to Fherrol and you mentioned the temple 'lost' your sister. What makes you think you will have better luck finding her there? I'm sure they checked all the closets and pantries. Perhaps the elves of Songficus can help you locate her with their divination magic or perhaps find you a quicker transport method then the 'next' cargo ship."
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2020-04-29 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Words are tough.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nefer

She was already interested in the elven bard before she even mentioned their problems. And Nefer's whole intention was to go to the green elves island anyway.

She gulped down her ale and moved forward.

I'll be pleased to be of service to you.

Then she looked at the confused feytouched.

Could it be that your sister has crossed into the elven Islands? It seems closer in distance than that temple they mention.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarrgon View Post
    "Thank you. I'm Ildilyntra Qinqirelle Prismatic Philosopher of Kirith Sotheril . And I did not just come here to preform for you. I'm from the nearby Isle of SongFicus. And I came here looking for help. "
    Sorry, I can't dance and I can't sing, though I probably play a mean cowbell.

If on the other hand you need the sort of help that involves stealth and extreme violence I am all ears.
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-04-30 at 02:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Beholder

Ildilyntra Qinqirelle "My island home has been invaded by a dragon. A foul black scaled one. Last season a dark, foul cloud covered the sky of our land...and brought with it a dark rain that burned the plants. Then she came. Umrenuyghythdru, the Dark Cloud. And we have been under her claw from that day. But I hope for freedom, I got away, made it here, and hoped to find those that could free my people and save my home.

Spoiler: Aleister
    Show

Bardic Knowledge: Kirith Sotheril is an elven goddess of divination and enchantment magic, and Rainbows. A Prismatic Philosopher was one of her specially priests.
    Knowledge(Local): The name Kirith Sotheril and Prismatic Philosophers are not known localy
    Knowledge(History):Kirith Sotheril is an ancient goddess.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nefer

At the mention of a Dragon, Nefer smiles with a joyous grin and sharp piercing eyes. She is so elated that she even lets go an excited
    HA!

Then looks around to the more somber faces and tries to sound more serious:

In light of your grave situation, I offer my help and sword. As soon as you need it

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Alistair notices that the innkeeper didn't actually repeat what he said. He considers the possibility that the man may be a fellow aurally-challenged individual and is about to repeat his request when Ildilyntra makes her plea.

Luckily, following her speech, Ramirez speaks. Among other things, it seems from what he is saying that there are ships that depart to Highport from Fishhook. 2000 leagues isn't that much further than he expected, either, although he's definitely gone some way in the wrong direction. The dragonborn is still talking, though, so Alistair listens until he finishes, then replies.

"A waste of time? I would disagree. Where else are clues of a missing person but at the last place they were? And even if these elves have some magic, that does not necessarily make them diviners."

Then he laughs, an abrupt chuckle. "But you seem to have gotten the wrong idea about my sister. I think, far from the temple losing her, she's disappeared on them. She was in training as a paladin, not a priestess, you know, and her sword arm and fists have saved my skin many more times than I have hers. Her dream was always to be a holy knight-errant, and no doubt she is now realizing it. Our mother is the one really in distress over it."

Hearing Nefer's speculation, he refutes it. "Not impossible, I suppose, but it's unlikely. She'd have no reason to come anywhere near here."

Turning back to listen to Ildilyntra's description of the island's dragon troubles, Alistair considers his options.

An imaginary version of Alice is already shouting at him that wherever she is, she's a lot tougher than him and that he should go help these elves, as she will be fine. Imaginary Mother is saying, no less loudly, that she's given him an order and he had better hurry up and find his sister.

It's barely a decision. Alice is the one who saved his life from Mother herself all those years ago and many more times since, and while Mother isn't really all as bad as that makes her sound, she still has nothing on Alice.

Breaking out of the imaginary-family reverie, he says to Ramirez, "Anyway, these elves don't sound like they are in any shape to help anyone do much of anything, let alone perform divinations or commandeer transport . I suppose one really ought to volunteer, and judging by the fact that you just called yourself a hero, presumably you are about to as well?"

"Mistress Qinqirelle," he calls to Ildilyntra, "assuming acceptance of this offer to throw ourselves at a vicious dragon, would you happen to know anything about your adversary that might aid us in combating her?"

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Knowledge (arcana) with Lore Song (adds +4 1/day) to use whatever description of the dragon Ildilyntra can provide to make an educated guess about its age and capabilities.

Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+11)[17]

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, stealth and extreme violence it is. What's in it for us besides the gratitude of your people and the warm but fleeting satisfaction of a good deed well done?
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-04-30 at 05:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, you look like the sort who could use dragon-leather armor. Besides, dragons usually have hoards, don't they?"

Medwyn turns to the elf on the stage. "Or was Umrenuyghythdru's hoard exclusively gathered on your isle? We should probably return it, if that's the case."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-04-30 at 05:07 PM. Reason: used the wrong homonym the second time I said "hoard"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Sure, minus expenses and a reasonable fee for shipping and handling

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

"Fair enough, as long as you let them negotiate to determine those fees."

14. - Top - End - #44

"Warding off a dragon sounds like the story of a lifetime, I'd offer my skills as either a mediator or an extra blade depending on which ends up being needed more." says Aleister, before turning to the apparent mercenary. "I would consider the fact that being known as someone capable of dealing with dragons would probably bring more opportunities for wealth down the line"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nefer

Nefer takes a look at her new potential companions and puts an arma around the distressed elven bard.

See? That was easy. and so it is settled! BREAK A KEG OF YOUR ALE! IT'S ON ME! NEFER, DAUGHTER OF WOLFLORD WILL KILL A DRAGON!

And she breaks into a dance

(1d20+3)[5]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smasher0404 View Post
    "Warding off a dragon sounds like the story of a lifetime, I'd offer my skills as either a mediator or an extra blade depending on which ends up being needed more."
    By mediator you mean appetizer right?

Quote Originally Posted by smasher0404 View Post
    "I would consider the fact that being known as someone capable of dealing with dragons would probably bring more opportunities for wealth down the line"
    Great I'm doing it for "The Exposure" now

17. - Top - End - #47

"I'm not saying not to take a reward, just take it into consideration when making that calculation. Since you seem to be weighing the scales so to speak. Besides, not all dragons are so unreasonable, else, I wouldn't have my trademark greys" replied Aleister tugging at his silver hair.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    By mediator you mean appetizer right?
    Medwyn starts chuckling.

Great I'm doing it for "The Exposure" now
    Medwyn starts chuckling a little harder. "I like you."

"Anyway, I'm in. I have some distant cousins on that isle. I should probably help them out."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-04-30 at 08:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Beholder

Ildilyntra Qinqirelle"I'm willing to help out anyway I can, with both information and my magic. I'm not sure what my people can offer..we don't value things like pieces of metal the way you do. We do grow a selection of magical plants, if that would interest you. The dragon has raided several ships over the last season, so all that is in it's hoard. "

Spoiler: Alistair
    Show

Knowledge (arcana): A dragon must at least be a young adult to claim a territory.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Medwyn raises his eyebrows at the thought that the elves on the isle don't value gold.

He looks down at his purse, and back at her, and finally finds his voice. "You... you don't?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

"Your commercial spirit is understandable," Alistair says in a subdued tone to Orat, softly enough that only those nearer the bar can hear it easily, "but if the dragon can indeed be overcome, I think there would be far less opposition to you claiming what you like when you are a conquering saviour. Right now, everyone in this room is unproven, and these elves are clearly in no position to promise us anything even if we were the most famous heroes of the realm."

Then he looks over at Aleister. "Not all such... trademarks have stories so benign behind them, sir. Considering what we know of this dragon, even if any diplomacy were to be attempted it might be best to keep readied swords while parleying. On that note, however..."

"What has the dragon actually done to your people, apart from some property damage?" he questions Ildilyntra. "And the ships that she raided - were they more the snatch-and-run type of raid, or the walk-over-the-corpses-to-claim-her-spoils kind?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Banned

Beholder

Ildilyntra Qinqirelle "Invaded our isle. Stole our plants. Keeps us imprisoned on the isle to grow more plants. She killed the few warriors we had and sunk most of our ships.

Isle of SongFicus is...was...defended by several families of dragon turtles. But Umrenuyghythdru stole the Shell Horn of Shatathryl that we used to control them.

Normally we keep other ships away from our isle, but Umrenuyghythdru lures them in and raids them. She has two ships of bullywug pirates. They don't leave any alive....they eat them."

Ildilyntra slowly waves for each one of her floating music instruments to go back into her sack.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nefer

The more Ildilyntra spoke, the more interested Nefer was. She kept drinking and had ordered some more lamb stew. And kept looking at the elf with intense eyes. Growing ever more incensed at this Uklyuamom dragon or whatever was its name.

I promise you Ildilyntra, that I'll make a nice centerpiece with that dragon's head.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

"Two ships of bullywug pirates..."

"Do the ships act in concert, or do they work seperately? And does the dragon lead these pirate attacks, or do the henchpirates do all the wotk?"

What Knowledge skill do I have to roll to know what a bullywug is?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-05-01 at 11:13 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nefer

We can sink them. I used to take part in my father's raids. Jump on board, throw them to the water!

Spoiler: OoC about the knowledge check
    Show
    Bullwugs are humanoids/monstrous humanoids so it should be Knowledge Local, Nefer doesn't have it

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarrgon View Post
    Ildilyntra Qinqirelle
    Isle of SongFicus is...was...defended by several families of dragon turtles. But Umrenuyghythdru stole the Shell Horn of Shatathryl that we used to control them.
    Then stealing it back seems like a good move. With that back under your control the pirates will no longer be an issue.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Beholder

Ildilyntra Qinqirelle "Umrenuyghythdru lets the pirates alone, but they give her half the prize. Alone, each is on one side of the isle.

Really the pirates are no worry....it's the dragon that keeps them in power. Get rid of the dragon, and we can deal with the pirates. "

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

"Maybe we need a warm-up first?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

"So the dragon, with this Horn, is now the turtles' mistress? Will it be necessary to contend with them as well as the bullywugs, or is there some means of passage to the island that can avoid them both? Perhaps the same route by which you escaped?" Alistair asks Ildilyntra.

Then, to Medwyn, "A warm-up for overthrowing a dragon? What might that constitute?"

Spoiler: OOC regarding bullywugs
    Show
    I believe monstrous humanoids are identified by Knowledge (nature), which more than one of us has.

Knowledge (nature) on bullywugs: (1d20+7)[26]
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2020-05-01 at 02:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

Beholder

Ildilyntra Qinqirelle "No, The Shell Horn of Shatathryl is a musical magical item...the dragon does not have the talent to use it.

Yes, I have a safe route to the isle....I have a Swan Ship. It can get us there no problem. The pirates won't be an issue, we are not a slow moving low sailing cargo ship."

Spoiler: Alistair
    Show

Knowledge (nature) on bullywugs:bullywugs are a race of bipedal, frog-like amphibians. They inhabit swamps, marshes, meres, jungles or other dank places. bullywugs do not deal with incursions into their territory very efficiently, but they kill and eat interlopers if they can. Bullywugs prize treasure, though it benefits them little. They value coins and jewels, and occasionally a magical item can be found amongst their hoard. Bullywugs tend to disrupt ecosystems, rather than fill a niche in them. They do not have the intelligence to harvest their food supplies sensibly and will fish and hunt in an area until its natural resources are depleted, and then move on to a new territory. They hate men, and will attack them on sight, but fortunately prefer to dwell in isolated regions far from human beings.