New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Woes of the Viridescent Isle(IC)

"Uh... is there anywhere else that might work, even if there's no other proper ports? If there's only one actual port, wouldn't the dragon and its agents know to watch that spot?"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ramirez

Ramirez relaxed and enjoyed the ride as much as he could. He listened closely to the questions and answers that went back and forth. "You know this reminds me of the last time I was absconded in the middle of the night by a magical elvish lass..." He trailed off and never finished the thought.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

"On the other hand," Alistair interjects, with a inclination of the head to Medwyn, "if they are now allowing outsiders indiscriminately onto the island, we may have little to fear. Even you, sir, are no native, and Mistress Qinqirelle, the great escapist, no doubt knows how to conceal herself."

"That being said," he continues, "there is one factor to consider before we decide whether or not to attempt subterfuge, at least in the physical sense. Mistress Qinqirelle, is the dragon—or any of her associates—aware that you are in possession of this vessel?"

Alistair punctuates his last point with a questioning glance at Ildilyntra.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ramirez

Ramirez found the last question rather interesting. Instead of looking at the woman expectantly, he scanned the sky instead.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nefer

Nefer listened to all the questions, some were good and she actually paid attention. But in all earnest, she was more straight forward. Go in, kill the dragon. Not that she was stupid or anything like that. But she had learnt that the best laid plans can go awry with just a little push.

She pat Pandora:

Girl, once on the island I'll need your sharp senses.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Beholder

Ildilyntra Qinqirelle "The Swan Boat is flat bottomed and magical, so we can make landfall just about anywhere if you want too on the isle

I have no idea what the dragon knows or really what any other non elf knows. Most of my people that know me well know I possess a Swan Boat. But it's not a unique item or anything, I know six others who have one. "

The land fades away behind as the Swan Boat moves out into the open sea.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

I would much prefer to not advertise our presence by showing up at port. Word will get about.

I think it better we make a discreet landfall somewhere quiet and then the first notice of our presence is when some enemy minions turn up dead
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-05-06 at 09:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I agree, an unknown terror is more of a threat than a small band of mercenaries. I guess the next question to ask strategically is: where do we start?" asks Aleister "Maybe we could land a day's travel from the port? Far enough that we won't be noticed, close enough that we can do some reconnaissance of our own. "
    ARRRRGH, I'm a pirate, ninjas are no match for me, Yargh!
    Also this awesome avatar was done by KillItWithFire

9. - Top - End - #99
    Banned

Beholder

Ildilyntra Qinqirelle "A days travel from Greenport? I can do that. You do understand the island has no roads: we don't destroy nature to make a path. So travel on food will be rugged. "

The swan boat turns slightly in direction and moves along over the open sea.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

"Stealth would indeed be ideal," Alistair replies, "yet I worry that not all the members of our party may be skilled enough in such arts to avoid detection. Though appearing at the port might sacrifice some of the element of surprise, it would raise far less alarm than if the ten of us were to be caught attempting to skulk ashore. A person, after all, is better hidden in a crowd than in the wilds." He spares a look down at his own bark-like skin. "With certain exceptions, naturally."

"Of course, if six others have similar boats, it might be too much to hope that the dragon will be unable to identify this one." he continues. "But I feel it would be remiss to not fully evaluate all our options before proceeding, thrilling though the prospect of passing unseen in the night may be."
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2020-05-06 at 01:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

Beholder

The swan boat comes to a stop and stays stationary in the water.

Ildilyntra Qinqirelle "It's about two hours travel. And the swan boat can only remain active for eight hours.

So if all of you could reach a decision. All most all of you will stick out on the isle, like a fire in the dark. Unless you all have a means of disguise...and acting much more reserved and quiet. Like my people do.

I don't know anything about dragonslaying....I hoped one of you did. Does anyone here have such knowledge? Maybe we could follow their lead?"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hm... you're right. Us sticking out is a problem..."

"Do you know about where the dragon and its henchmen live? We might be able to avoid their attention just by making sure we don't go anyplace they'd check. It won't work for long: they'll start scouting once we get started... but it should be good enough to let us strike first, if it's possible at all."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Banned

Beholder

Ildilyntra Qinqirelle "The dragon lives in the ruins of the fortress of Sheslond. It's in the mountains right in the middle of the island. It's left over from the Elf Wars of an age past. We have not used it in centuries and only slightly maintained it. When the dragon came, that is where she went.

Other then Greenport, and Sheslond, just about all of our isle is wild. We don't have a city or towns, just a couple small villages. "

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Well we can go to Greenport and certainly be noticed or land elsewhere and perhaps be noticed.

Orat smiles

And it would be a lot easier to kill anyone who happens to see us if we don't land at Greenport

15. - Top - End - #105

"I mean, I'm still in favor of not docking in port" says Aleister, giving a vague shrug "I suspect that we are not the usual sort of visitors the island would expect. We have neither the cargo of a merchant, nor the manpower of a military ship, so our purpose will be immediately questioned. If I were by myself, or we had a more performative group, we could perhaps pass ourselves off as traveling minstrels, but I'm afraid that we do not currently look the part."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

To know more about the Elf Wars:
    Knowledge(History): (1d20+10)[28]
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+9)[12]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nefer

These guys were a bunch of cowards... her people would have docked in the port, claimed it for themselves, and laid an ambush for the dragon.

She speaks.

Lets hit the port, kill some Bullywugs, and anyone collaborating with the dragon. Leave one alive so it can inform its master and set up an ambush for the dragon, so we fight it in our terms. Or we hit the port and move out quickly, have the dragon look for us while we learn more about the island. These elves need help and encouragement!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

"It is already an island of dragons, elves, frog-people and magical plants," says Alistair to Aleister. "We have nothing stranger than that amongst ourselves, and although we may not fit the parts you suggest, there is no reason we could not play others."

"The gentleman with the book, for example,"
    —he gestures to Medwyn—"could easily be a scholar with interest in magical plants, perhaps one who has already picked up an ambulatory specimen—myself—on his travels. Miss Nefer is already in truth a fellow enthusiast, even if she is more interested in the elves, and there is no reason why a travelling scholar should not employ a bodyguard or two," he finishes, with a nod to Ramirez and Orat. "As for you, sir, you seem like the sort charismatic enough to fill any role you desire. Although I cannot fully endorse Miss Nefer's somewhat... violent... stratagem, I do agree we should not be afraid to be more overt, at least in some ways. The best deceptions, after all, are built largely on truth."

"In any case," Alistair continues, this time to the boat at large, "wherever we ultimately decide to land, I think we would do well to come up with a cover story that omits our dragon-slaying motivations. After all, not everyone we meet may be trustworthy, and there is no guarantee that circumstances will make indiscriminately slaughtering them the best option. To that end, perhaps we should share a little about ourselves with one another, to see what would actually be plausible, or at the very least what we should call one another. Mistresses Qinqirelle and Nefer, of course, have already made themselves known to all, but I believe most of the rest of us have yet to learn each others' names.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hm... you know, I think I can do that. Plants aren't my specialty or anything, but I think I might know enough to pass if it should come to that. My real specialty is, and always has been, magic... but let's let the dragon and its minions learn that the hard way, huh?"

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

Beholder

Spoiler: Aleister
    Show

To know more about the Elf Wars:
    Knowledge(History): The Elf Wars were a series of elven wars fought early in the history of the world. Over a period of 3,000 years, the great elven kingdoms participated in five primary conflicts, leading to the near destruction of the elven race.
    Bardic Knowledge: While we’ve often written that elven tales, both ancient and modern, view the faery folk as being ruled by monarchs, this idea is more a reflection of the lives of men and of the world that was and is than a true indication of the Realms of Elfin
    Last edited by Zarrgon; 2020-05-08 at 09:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ramirez

Ramirez pulled out a mug from his pack and it instantly filled with some wine. He sipped at it gently as the others debated. "Sounds like there are more votes for a Non-port landing. Unless anyone strongly objects - we should probably do that. I probably should have acquired a bow before hopping in this... umm swan. I suspect dragons don't fight fair." Ramirez let that comment hang in the air to imply he never fought a dragon before.

"I think we ought to make landfall someplace quiet, set up a camp - maybe no fire. Then decide if we are going right for the dragon or clean up the pirates first as practice. Practice might be desirable if we've never seen each other in combat before. I don't like the idea of tackling a dragon if you all are flakes - and vice versa I assume. "

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

"Actually, isn't it a tie?" Alistair points out. "Unless I misunderstand, our wizardly companion now finds the port plan agreeable, so we have three on each side. Perhaps Mistress Qinqirelle might like to cast a deciding vote?"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ramirez

"Oh! counting really isn't my thing. I don't feel strongly either way. So I'll swap my vote to the city landing then. Doing something is better than nothing and this is no time to think. "

He sips more of his drink and goes back to watching the sky for dragons.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2020-05-08 at 07:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

Beholder

Ildilyntra Qinqirelle "I was heading to Greenport. It is our only port, and where all the non elves go. It seemed the natural place to go.

Though as I said I don't know anything about Dragonslaying.

So to Greenport"

The swan boat starts to move again at a steady pace. Just two hours later a large isle comes into view ahead. A half hour after that you can make out the thick, jungle covered land...and the Port.

The port is quite bright, lit by torches, watchfires and bonfires...though most are burning half low. It's still well lit compared to the total darkness of the whole island.

Greenport looks like a typical port village: 30 straw huts, five larger wood buildings and a spread of wooden docks. Scattered around and tied to the docks are eleven ships.

The village looks and sounds quiet.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Medwyn nodded. "That looks like the spot, if we're trying to pretend we're ordinary travelers. My name's Medwyn, by the way."

"We should have our story straight before we dock. So, I'll be pretending I'm a scholar who studies plants, which isn't exactly a lie since I have studied them a bit. Alistair is one of the subjects I'm studying..."

Medwyn shudders. "Okay, maybe I've read too many stories on evil necromancers, but... that just did not sound right."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

My name, in case you did not get it, is Orat and I am here to keep the more scholarly members of this expedition alive.

She gives her attention over to the village, scanning for signs of life, especially hostile life, and hostile unlife too just to cover all the bases

(1d20)[15] Spot+11

Those of us so bloody keen on coming here can take point

26. - Top - End - #116
    Banned

Beholder

The whole of the small village is dark and quiet, with only a couple low burning watch fires. The only place with any activity is the single tavern, that is all lit up and full of a great many people.

Spoiler: Orat
    Show

Spot-nothing looks hostile.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

"Don't worry, Medwyn," Alistair quips, "I have it on good authority that our researcher-subject relationship is entirely consensual."

As the port draws near, he draws faerie power from within himself and sets it coursing through his veins, ready to imbue any words he speaks with supernatural persuasion—or deception.

28. - Top - End - #118

"My name is, fortunately or unfortunately, also Aleister. I am a herald of the King, sent on the mission to help breakdown any findings our dear friend Medwyn makes from the perspective of a layman." says Aleister, quickly scrambling for a cover story that he could easily assume.
    Last edited by smasher0404; 2020-05-10 at 10:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

"Maybe that would be easier to sell if I pretended I didn't know Common? I could pretend to need you to translate my work for His Majesty..."

Medwyn looks down. "I already wrote my spellbook in Orc, just to be contrary, so it's not like they'd have any counterargument to make... do you happen to know Elven, Draconic, Sylvan, Gnome, or Orc?"

30. - Top - End - #120

"I'm fluent in the elven tongues, taught to me by a bawdy half-elf I met in my travels, and I have some conversational knowledge of Draconic" replied Aleister in fairly fluent Elven.