New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Woes of the Viridescent Isle(IC)

Quote Originally Posted by whiteflash View Post
    "French kiss a tendriculous?" Medwyn whispers to Aleister in elven. "... Well, maybe, but if it wants to use the tentacles it'd have to buy me dinner first."

[roll0] for Knowledge: Nature to try and figure out what specific plant the cook is speaking of.
    Aleister chuckles from his comrade's joke before whispering in Elven "Perhaps we should mingle before we are left too far behind", Aleister then strides up to the half-dragon troll confidently "Hello good sir! You look like sort of the gentleman who knows the best holes in the wall to eat. Care to lend me your wisdom to a new arrival? The first round of booze would be on me!"
    ARRRRGH, I'm a pirate, ninjas are no match for me, Yargh!
    Also this awesome avatar was done by KillItWithFire

2. - Top - End - #152
    Banned

Beholder

The green grog tastes cool, minty and smooth when Orat drinks it.(but nothing else happens).

Spoiler: Medwyn
    Show

Whatever the halfling is talking about does not sound like any natural plant you have ever heard off.

The eight foot tall green scaled half dragon troll in green robes(aka Vleen'Kenu) narrows it's eyes and.....

If Aleister wishes to take an action next round (round 1) please roll initiative.

Note that everyone is not right next to Aleister(so no metagaming as your characters don't know anything is happening until AFTER something happens).

3. - Top - End - #153

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

Wow, the troll really doesn't want to grab a drink huh?
    (1d20+2)[4]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ramirez

Ramirez was mulling over his meat on a stick options. On one hand it smelt amazing but on the other 1 full gold per piece seemed like robbery. He waited to see how the other liked the taste before committing.

Spoiler
    Show

Ramirez is definitely distracted by meat on a stick and possibly buying a drink that he may not notice the change in demeanor of the troll. He is likely near the street vendor however far away that is (30 feet ? more?)

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Alistair wonders just how sensible it is to assume that the half-dragon cannot understand Elven, or overhear at such a short distance, but interrupting Aleister and Medwyn's conversation would only make the group more conspicuous.

Instead, he begins to focus his supernatural senses around the inn's common area, knowing that magical auras often indicate where the most trouble is likely to come from—or where the most interesting things may be discovered.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Detect Magic spell-like ability, in a 60ft cone directed to encompass as much of the area around the tavern as possible, including the half-dragon.

Since it would only take 18 seconds or less, is it fair to say he could have gotten up to the third round of the spell effect by the time Aleister is speaking to the half-dragon?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Neffer

She had been absentmindedly following the others. However, she had stayed outside the tavern trying to find out what to do with her animals. The horse and the dogs waited outside and she was just going inside the place to join the others.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Banned

Beholder

Spoiler: Ramirez
    Show
    The cooking pits are right outside the tavern. That puts him 20 feet from Aleister who is out in the 'clear area' .

Spoiler: Alistair
    Show
    Yes. There is not much magic around. A stuffed parrot hanging from the thatched roof of the tavern and a ring and an amulet on the half-dragon glow.

(Spellcraft rolls to speed it up:)
    Stuffed Parrot: (1d20+7)[27] Divination
    Ring: (1d20+7)[11] unknown
    Amulet: (1d20+7)[14] Transmutation

The eight foot tall green scaled half dragon troll in green robes(aka Vleen'Kenu) lets out a mighty roar
    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20+1)[11]

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show

Claw(1d20+10)[11] (1d4+6)[8]
    Claw(1d20+10)[20] (1d4+6)[7]
    Bite(1d20+8)[15] (1d6+6)[9]

Rend if needed (2d4+15)[19]

The eight foot tall green scaled half dragon troll in green robes(aka Vleen'Kenu) goes all out and swipes at Aleister with both claws and a bite. However only one claw hits Aleister in the shoulder.
    Spoiler: Aleister
    Show
    Damage-14 as it's a critical hit!

Aleister can act in round one
    Last edited by Zarrgon; 2020-05-17 at 12:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Orat looks at Bern Shortsea
    Remember I said something about dumbass things? Excuse me

Spoiler: Init for when it's needed
    Show
    Init:
    (1d20)[18]+4
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-05-17 at 01:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

The stuffed parrot emanating divination magic seems suspicious to Alistair, and he deliberately keeps his gaze on the scene at large, not looking right at it.

His thoughts are interrupted by the half-dragon's roar.

10. - Top - End - #160

"Woah! Mate, a simple no would suffice!" cries out Aleister, putting up his guard as best as he can.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Total Defense Action: +4 Dodge bonus to AC

11. - Top - End - #161
    Banned

Beholder

Vleen'Kenu (in common) "leave me alone apeling or die!"

12. - Top - End - #162

"Ok, mate! I'll leave you alone! I was just trying to be friendly!" shouts Aleister (and he'll back away if that is allowed).

13. - Top - End - #163
    Banned

Beholder

Vleen'Kenu watches Aleister back away, but does not seem to be taking any other actions.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Orat watches Vleen'Kenu watching Aleister back away, but otherwise does nothing

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Medwyn watches with an eyebrow raised, making sure to keep his tongue firmly secured in his head so that he doesn't accidentally curse out the half-dragon.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ramirez

At hearing the commotion, Ramirez loses interest in the meat on a stick. He moves towards the half-dragon with his hand on his hilt. He stops short as he sees Aleister back off.

(Elvish) "Is there a problem Aleister?"

Ramirez doesn't draw his weapon or get within 10 feet of the troll.

17. - Top - End - #167

"Oh, nothing" says Aleister, in Elvish, trying to dust himself off a bit "It just appears our big friend here is not the biggest conversationalist in the world"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

"Are you badly hurt?" Alistair asks Aleister, coming up next to him to inspect his shoulder wound.

Taking advantage of the fact that the whole group is paying attention to the scene, he tries to indirectly convey the possible danger of the stuffed parrot.

"We must be a little more careful what we say." he says, still looking at the wound and speaking as if to Aleister, though loudly enough that the whole group can catch it. "Dragons are noble and magical beings, but their feathers are often easily ruffled."

Spoiler: OOC (secret message)
    Show
    Bluff check to convey secret message: (1d20+21)[24]

The secret message is: The stuffed parrot is magical, and the black dragon may be watching through it.

For convenience, the DC to convey simple messages is 15 and 20 for complex ones, whichever kind the DM decides this counts as.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

False alarm. He'll live

Orat returns to the halfling.

So is there anything interesting here apart from you, the tavern and the big guy who really needs his personal space?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Banned

Beholder

Alistair Successfully sends his secret message.

Bern Shortsea "Not really. The whole island is wild jungle full of beasts and fey. A tribe of green elves lives in the green. They are typical hostile elves, they let us go about a mile form shore, then attack.

We got just the one road....we call it the road, made by them kobolds. Goes right to the mountains in the middle of the island. High up in them mountains are a bunch of old ruins. A dragon lives up there. Every so often she will fly around, and gobble up a whale or something like that. "

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Not really. The whole island is wild jungle full of beasts and fey. A tribe of green elves lives in the green. They are typical hostile elves, they let us go about a mile form shore, then attack.

Now I understand more why you don't get many visitors. I'll try and persuade my employers to take a good look at seaweed

We got just the one road....we call it the road, made by them kobolds. Goes right to the mountains in the middle of the island. High up in them mountains are a bunch of old ruins. A dragon lives up there. Every so often she will fly around, and gobble up a whale or something like that

Orat looks at Vleen'Kenu

So is he a relative or he just works for her?

I'll have another two drinks please, one to go
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-05-20 at 03:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Banned

Beholder

Bern Shortsea "Watch out for that seawed, some of it will try to eat you, har har!

"

Bern fills two more clay cups with the green grog.

"I don't really rightly know. He does not say much, you know. We just leave him alone and he mostly leaves us alone."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Alistair decides to investigate the matter of the stuffed parrot more closely. Going back to where Medwyn stands, he mutters in an undertone, "That parrot bears investigation. I'm going to ask around about it, on the pretext that my natural philosopher friend is interested. Just to be clear, that means you."

Having filled the wizard in, he goes to the nearest individual who is not a member of the party and asks who owns the tavern.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: I feel like what I'm about to do is suboptimal, but it feels like the natural reaction to what Medwyn just heard.

Medwyn gives Alistair a confused look, looks the half-dragon troll over for any parrot-like coloring, and then looks around and notices the parrot. He realizes he might have just given away that they know about it, and tries to clamp down on any further reaction to it.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you. Maybe see you later.

Orat takes both of the drinks and heads over to Alistair and Medwyn, thrusting one of the cups of grog at the elf

DRIINK THIISS she says slowly at him, in the "If they don't understand your language just repeat it louder and slower until they get the point" manner and with a little bit of pantomime so that anyone watching should get the very clear idea he doesn't understand common before turning to Alistair

Ask your friend to try this please, wanna see if it does anything for elves

She then takes another sip of her own
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-05-21 at 11:59 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Banned

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post

Having filled the wizard in, he goes to the nearest individual who is not a member of the party and asks who owns the tavern.
    Nearest Sailor "well, no one. No one rightly owns anything here. We live the the sea code, keep what you kill and kill for what you keep.

Darandia Dorskav is Greenports leader, as least we all mostly respect and like her. She's sleeping over in that stone house. She won't be up until sun rise."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah." says Alistair to Nearest Sailor. "Actually, I was asking because my friend here"—he indicates Medwyn with a wave—"is very interested in that parrot hanging there." He gestures in the parrot's general direction. "He is a natural philosopher of some skill, and I believe some of its features have caught his fancy. I don't suppose you know, or know anyone who might know, how and where it was come by?"

By now, Orat is pretending to fail at communicating with Medwyn. "Unfortunately, as you can see, his linguistic ability is somewhat less robust. Excuse me for a moment."

Turning back to Medwyn, he says in Elven, "She wants you to drink it."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bluff check if necessary to convince others that Medwyn cannot speak Common: (1d20+21)[25]

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh," he says in Elven.

He turns back to Orat before he takes his drink. "I'm flattered," he continues, also in Elven.

Does the drink do anything to him?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-05-21 at 07:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Banned

Beholder

The green grog tastes cool, minty and smooth when Medwyn drinks it.(but nothing else happens).

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Orat looks vaguely disappointed

So I understand that having got nowhere with Vleen'Kenu you now want to talk to a stuffed parrot because it's less likely to slap you across the room?