New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XVI: Sworn to Carry Your Burdens

Lokir was actually the Dragonborn. Alduin was just there to make sure he got executed. Alduin put the power into you instead, and then everything from that point forward was Alduin covering your escape.

When Skyrim 2 comes out, we'll learn the deeper meaning behind Alduin's plan to have you "kill" him.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The real confusing thing about Helgen is its location. We learn later that Alduin is being methodical about resurrecting his dragon friends and doing them in a predictable order, but Helgen is right in the middle of the map with no dragon grave nearby--so what reason did he have for being there? I don't think anyone ever explains exactly why Alduin chose to destroy Helgen, especially when he doesn't do that with any other town or city in the whole of Skyrim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It seems fairly obvious to me that he comes there to kill the Dragonborn. He just does a REALLY bad job.
    Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    As Delphine later points out, the big net effect of Alduin's intervention at Helgen is to keep the civil war going. Given that Alduin's primary food source is "the souls of fallen warriors", that makes it seem like a pretty sound move on his part.

As to how he would know that - now there you have me. But frankly that's about the 47th most puzzling thing about the whole setup.
    ...and then never, ever tries again, for reasons? Also, how would he know you were Dragonborn even before you, or the Greybeards, knew it?
    My reasoning is, he doesn't know there is a dragonborn until the first dragon's soul gets sucked up, that is when he is aware of your presence. For Alduin, I think he attacked Helgen first a simpler reason. He was just plain PISSED!

Imagine you are Alduin, ruling all over Skyrim with your Dragon army, only to see a rebellion of these puny mortal races and when your first few dragon minions fail to kill the leaders at the throat of the world, you step in personally. After all, you're practically immortal being able to gobble up dead souls for sustenance, so you don't see them as a threat. Then they have the AUDACITY to create their own shout! And not just any shout, the Dragonrend shout, a shout that's sole purpose was to strip a dragon of its dragonhood, something that couldn't be comprehended by any dragon, and it was just used on him!

Okay, these humans have to die now! No more games! Wait, Is that an Elder Scroll? Oh crap! OH CRAP!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

*Poof* Where am I? Still at the throat of the world? But the battle is gone. The world looks different. Paarthanax! Get out of my way you traitor!

*Takes off*

*Surveys the area*

It's true! They took me out of time and those filthy mortal races decided to populate the world on their own instead of beneath their rightful place below my claws. Well, time to stoke fear into these mortals. And since I'm still an immortal dragon that can eat the souls of mortals, I obviously have nothing better to do to let out this unyielding rage against them for stealing my title, poisoning my land with their existence, and for using that Dragonrend shout on me! Oh look, there's a big settlement of them there if I ever saw one. All I had to do was fly south. Let me pop in and say hello and put the fear of god me back into them again.

*Lands on stone tower of Helgen looking down at the mortal ants*

"I'm Back Bitches!"

*Clouds and meteors start raining down*

*Chaos ensues*
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Lokir was actually the Dragonborn. Alduin was just there to make sure he got executed. Alduin put the power into you instead, and then everything from that point forward was Alduin covering your escape.

When Skyrim 2 comes out, we'll learn the deeper meaning behind Alduin's plan to have you "kill" him.
    Skyrim 2 *did* come out. They got real weird with it. Lots of strange creatures running around, the dragons are all radioactive, and it's multiplayer apparently.

Also bugs, lots and lots and lots of bugs. But it all just works somehow.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hagashager View Post
    Skyrim 2 *did* come out. They got real weird with it. Lots of strange creatures running around, the dragons are all radioactive, and it's multiplayer apparently.
    ...It's bad that I can't tell if you're talking about Fallout 76 or Elder Scrolls Online.

Either way I'm thinking Bethesda needs to get more creative.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    They are working on a new IP called Starfield.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    If major enemies are dragons or dragon look-alikes, my point still stands. Doing the same thing in every game and just slapping a different title on it doesn't change a thing.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

...It's bad that I can't tell if you're talking about Fallout 76 or Elder Scrolls Online.

Why not both?

Fallout is the world centuries after Alduin ate the world. Super Mutants are actually Orcs twisted by Daedric energy. Ghouls are Draugr. Deathclaws are corrupted Argonians. Caesar's Legion is actually harkening back to the old Empire.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I was only glancing at this, and thought you said their new IP was "Seinfeld".
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #279

If major enemies are dragons or dragon look-alikes, my point still stands. Doing the same thing in every game and just slapping a different title on it doesn't change a thing.
    Yea, after I wrote that, I immediately thought "and it will feature radioactive dragons IN SPAAAAACE!!!"
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, after I wrote that, I immediately thought "and it will feature radioactive dragons IN SPAAAAACE!!!"
    I'm just reminded of the song line from It Just Works: "The spaceship with a dragon animation will become a new sensation on the internet"
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I was only glancing at this, and thought you said their new IP was "Seinfeld".
    WhAt'S tHe DeAl WiTh DoVaH fOoD????
    I mEaN cOmE oN!

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I'm just reminded of the song line from It Just Works: "The spaceship with a dragon animation will become a new sensation on the internet"
    I see it as "Give me more of what I really need" from a song whose title I cannot write on this forum. (It's the last one from the album "Blast Radius" by Pepper Coyote).

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

I see it as "Give me more of what I really need" from a song whose title I cannot write on this forum. (It's the last one from the album "Blast Radius" by Pepper Coyote).
    For anyone who hasn't heard it, it's a very catchy song, you should look it up.

...Not at work though.

14. - Top - End - #284

Picked up Daggerfall: Unity again. Really enjoying that I stuck the Small Dungeons modifier on. I still have to wander and look for things, but it's a much smaller space to wander.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well, that was a bit of a shock. Microsoft has just paid $7.5 billion to buy Zenimax Media (owners of Bethesda), so they now have control of both the Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3575...and-quake.html

Probably won't make a huge difference to anyone who plays the game on PC, of course, but will be interesting to see where this goes.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that was a bit of a shock. Microsoft has just paid $7.5 billion to buy Zenimax Media (owners of Bethesda), so they now have control of both the Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3575...and-quake.html

Probably won't make a huge difference to anyone who plays the game on PC, of course, but will be interesting to see where this goes.
    Might impact ESO and any future games. Though as we haven’t gotten any word on ES6 in the first place I doubt they’re going to going to announce any delays for it.

17. - Top - End - #287

Oh, good, someone else commented on this thread so I don't have to double-post to talk about Morrowind.

Cana, the Eternal Champion (I even named her class Eternal Champion, so people will address me as that in the text) has been in Vvardenfell for a while now. She's about to become Archmaster of House Redoran, and it's mostly her skills that are keeping her from becoming Archmage... duties keep her from running the Fighter's Guild, because her Blunt Weapon is 100.

I'm slowly climbing out of the "Enchantment is better for everything" stage... my skills are getting better, and I'm throwing stupid amounts of money into training. I'm still using a dwarven mace ("Snowy Crown", which throws in some frost damage) and adamantine armor, but have upgraded to a glass shield (which now gives me permanent night-eye, because I was tired of the dark dungeons). I need to get back to the main quest, but I might also do Tribunal... I beat Bloodmoon the first time I played it, but I never did go to Tribunal.
    The Cranky Gamer

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Might impact ESO and any future games. Though as we haven’t gotten any word on ES6 in the first place I doubt they’re going to going to announce any delays for it.
    Expect a Windows 10 only ES6 though!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Cana, the Eternal Champion (I even named her class Eternal Champion, so people will address me as that in the text) has been in Vvardenfell for a while now. She's about to become Archmaster of House Redoran, and it's mostly her skills that are keeping her from becoming Archmage... duties keep her from running the Fighter's Guild, because her Blunt Weapon is 100.
    And the Thieves? It makes me happy to know someone is playing Morrowind again. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Expect a Windows 10 only ES6 though!
    Sadly, Microsoft is much too fond of money for that. Once you've designed the interface to work across multiple platforms (and that will have been the first thing to happen), it takes virtually no work to translate your game to other platforms, so proceeds from them are basically Free Money.

A much scarier prospect is that they might go the SimCity route and create an online-only game. ES76, anyone?
    Last edited by veti; 2020-09-21 at 02:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

A much scarier prospect is that they might go the SimCity route and create an online-only game. ES76, anyone?
    Zenimax already did that with Elder Scrolls Online, though I guess there’s nothing stopping them from making an ESO 2.

21. - Top - End - #291

And the Thieves? It makes me happy to know someone is playing Morrowind again. Thank you.
    I've stalled out a bit on the Thieves Guild... I just haven't gone to Vivec to track them down and work there, yet. I did take over the Fighter's Guild last night, though. With enough Persuasion, you can pretty easily get Eydis, Sjoring, and the Orc in Vivec to attack you... though I kind of wish I'd laundered some of my more expensive gear through him, first. I have a truly unreasonable amount of Ebony gear, and the best solution I've found is the fighter's guild smith in Balmora, where I can sell things to him, train for a while, sell some of it back, train for a while more, sell more back. Eventually, he resets, and I can sell another expensive piece to him, equalizing by buying every Vivec-damned thing he has.
    The Cranky Gamer

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

With enough Persuasion, you can pretty easily get Eydis, Sjoring, and the Orc in Vivec to attack you...
    I always found it didn't matter what your Persuasion is. There's no limit to the number of times you can Taunt someone, so even if you need to roll the digital equivalent of "00", you can still get there eventually. Just don't break the conversation.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

23. - Top - End - #293

I always found it didn't matter what your Persuasion is. There's no limit to the number of times you can Taunt someone, so even if you need to roll the digital equivalent of "00", you can still get there eventually. Just don't break the conversation.
    My problem is I'd hit 0 and they'd end the conversation.
    The Cranky Gamer

24. - Top - End - #294

The solution is to get naked, I think. That sidetracks dialogue to telling you to put some friggin' clothes on, letting you taunt them a second time.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can also alternate between taunting and bribing them. They'll have all your money on them when you're... Ah, done talking.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Funny post I saw
    Show
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2020-09-22 at 08:34 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Spoiler: Funny post I saw
    Show
    Truly the most cruel of fates.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, I've heard of that, but my experience is that hitting zero makes no difference. So long as I don't break the conversation, I can just go on hitting Taunt.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

And here's another funny one.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post