New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XVI: Sworn to Carry Your Burdens

So, playing Arena again. Altmer Healer. Why Altmer? Why Healer? Why Arena?

I had this silly idea to play all the main TES games as the same character. Given the timing between 1 and 3, it could be all the same person of pretty much any race; after Morrowind, it becomes less important, since one of the side effects of Corpus is living forever.

Why an Altmer? Because, in Daggerfall, MOST of the racial abilities are borked, but not the Altmer's immunity to paralysis. This lets me take advantage of their engine to get a critical immunity to paralysis, which I am immune to.

Why a Healer? I wanted a spellcaster, first of all, since spellcasting is so useful. A healer has limited weapons selection, and not much theiving potential, but they have good spell points and some of the most useful spells are cheap for them. It's a good boost in Arena, where you have to pick a class.

I haven't yet gotten to Fang Lair. I'm looking for places in town I can easily, repeatedly, loot.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

How does your roleplay explains your character losing their skills and equipment between each game?

Well, I suppose getting jailed every game explains losing equipment (you'd think your character learned their lesson two games in the series), but skills is another matter.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    How does your roleplay explains your character losing their skills and equipment between each game?

Well, I suppose getting jailed every game explains losing equipment (you'd think your character learned their lesson two games in the series), but skills is another matter.
    Jail time already reduces skill progress in at least some games. It may just be a metaphysical fact of the universe that jail time makes you dumb.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

At least it no longer lowers skills in Skyrim, only removes progress.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

6. - Top - End - #6

Spend a bit of time on the farm, and you lose your edge. You get it back fast enough.
    The Cranky Gamer

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

TL:DR What leveled-loot and merchant inventory rebalances do people use? It's the one sticking point I *cannot* seem to find the right balance on.

Now for the big story for those who want one:
    I'm back on the Skyrim grind.

I have an on-going profile on my Switch with Skyrim. I enjoy vanilla quite a bit, however, there is always some niggling quark in the back of my mind that makes me think, "I could mod this on PC."

I decided a month ago that in this latest PC modding sesh I would *only* install mods that directly address the glaring flaws I'd see on the switch version - the flaws that made me think, "I could mod this on PC."

- No fancy doodads that crash the game
    - No overblown graphics
    - No dramatic gameplay overhauls that Skyrim was never meant to be.
    - No superfluous "immersion" mods that tax the NPC AI so badly it just breaks my immersion anyway.

I've got about 60 mods installed. Mostly bugfixes and QoL changes that make navigating menus and systems easier. There're a few basic luxury mods like Relighting Skyrim and Cathedral Waters as those mods directly address the, "I could mod this on PC" criticism.

The one thing I consistently cannot find a perfect solution for is rebalancing loot and merchant inventories. Vanilla Skyrim is non-sensicle. Money in animals, every bandit has Ebony armor, Nords are all using glass armor despite not respecting, "That Fancy Elven Stuff" and the shopkeeper who thinks magic is evil has an inventory that is 3/4 magic apparatus.

The big suggestion is Morrowloot Ultimate, but that mod does way too much for my liking and doesn't resolve some of my fundamental quibbles.

Next is MLU's sister mods that compartmentalize Morrowloot's features. These mods just straight-up don't work. I fiddled with xEdit and Wrye Bash and nothing changes.

Next I tried Containers and Leveled-List fixes. I gotta say, this mod come closest to solving my problems but the author has certain arbitrary beliefs about what you should and shouldn't have. His restrictions break the game on a near fundamental level. Many of his fans pointed this out but he has since started deleting their posts and advising people fix his mod themselves if they do like it. I was okay with fixing things myself each update but after his latest squabble I no longer feel like tolerating his childishness.

Now I'm on to SkyREM: LORA. It...half-works. It gets rid of the overabundance of magic shwag, but doesn't seem to be reducing the amount of high-level gear from trash mobs. I also still find gems and money in animals.

I tried fixing this in xEdit to no avail.

So tell me, GITP Forumites- what do you guys use?

Thank you for reading my Ted-Talk.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hagashager View Post

Thank you for reading my Ted-Talk.
    Okay this is just random, do people just say this to end any speech now? is this some sort of meme? I know Ted Talk exists but really, this isn't even funny. if there is a joke, I don't get it. I want this explained so that the joke is thoroughly murdered. how are you parodying TED talk here? its honestly the thing that sticks out above the rest of your post because it actually annoys me.

I use some kind of thing to give me more loot, but I can't honestly remember what its name is, mostly seems to give me paintings as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2020-04-27 at 04:30 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Okay this is just random, do people just say this to end any speech now? is this some sort of meme? I know Ted Talk exists but really, this isn't even funny. if there is a joke, I don't get it. I want this explained so that the joke is thoroughly murdered. how are you parodying TED talk here? its honestly the thing that sticks out above the rest of your post because it actually annoys me.
    It's a self-aware meme pointing out the tendency of a lot of Ted-Talk speakers to ramble on for a long time about nothing. People put it there as a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement that their walls of text are mostly waffling and meaningless.

It's a joke dude, lighten up.

10. - Top - End - #10

I now I have three of the staff pieces, and am working my way through the pre-dungeon dungeon to get the fourth. Hammerfell, Skyrim, Valenwood, now Elswyr.
    The Cranky Gamer

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Still wish they did more with the Bard's College.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Still wish they did more with the Bard's College.
    Yeah well, all the vanilla factions are pants. The only one that comes close to a satisfying storyline is the Dawnguard, and that took an entire paid DLC to add it in. And even that is only middling.

Compare any of the big three - fighters, mages, thieves - with their counterparts in Oblivion or Morrowind, and you can't help but see how rushed the Skyrim versions are.

I suspect the civil war was supposed to pick up some of that slack, but that proved to be a horrible mistake.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

13. - Top - End - #13

Hardest thing to adapt to in Arena is the inventory maximum. You have a certain number of slots. I'm running into far less problems with weight than I am with "Well, I have to drop something to pick up something new."
    The Cranky Gamer

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Yeah well, all the vanilla factions are pants. The only one that comes close to a satisfying storyline is the Dawnguard, and that took an entire paid DLC to add it in. And even that is only middling.

Compare any of the big three - fighters, mages, thieves - with their counterparts in Oblivion or Morrowind, and you can't help but see how rushed the Skyrim versions are.

I suspect the civil war was supposed to pick up some of that slack, but that proved to be a horrible mistake.
    If I had to guess, the dev team worked too long on the Civil war, and because it never worked the way they wanted, they lost a ton of time that they couldn't afterwards put into the other factions.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

If I had to guess, the dev team worked too long on the Civil war, and because it never worked the way they wanted, they lost a ton of time that they couldn't afterwards put into the other factions.
    I don't think the problem the Civil War quest line had was too much time.
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    I don't think the problem the Civil War quest line had was too much time.
    IIRC, the civil war was initially planned to be a far greater part of the game, with a lot more to do, but they had to cut most of it in the end because things weren't working as they should.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    IIRC, the civil war was initially planned to be a far greater part of the game, with a lot more to do, but they had to cut most of it in the end because things weren't working as they should.
    I've assumed.

The truly interesting part about it, is that the main questline and the Civil War questline are introduced together, and in a lot of ways in the beginning of the game the civil war questline is more present. But then they diverge and go on to be a bit rubbish on their own terms. I think they were probably intended to be more... entwined.
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

The Civil War questline was meant to be the single most important thing in the game, and it's apparent in how much of a pain in the ass I've heard working around the Civil War is for modders. Apparently a lot of unexpected **** hooks into it and it can easily mess up mods in certain locations or which change particular NPCs which may have nothing to do with the questline in the actual game but were GOING to at some point and so are "tainted" by the leftovers.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The Civil War questline was meant to be the single most important thing in the game, and it's apparent in how much of a pain in the ass I've heard working around the Civil War is for modders. Apparently a lot of unexpected **** hooks into it and it can easily mess up mods in certain locations or which change particular NPCs which may have nothing to do with the questline in the actual game but were GOING to at some point and so are "tainted" by the leftovers.
    which is ironic, because often its one of the thing I often take care not to start or touch unless I want to do nothing else, as it doesn't give me any reason to play through it, even in vanilla skyrim the first time I played it I felt it was too easy and Ulfric went down so fast that I was like "this is it? this was the big civil war? really? really? what, am I supposed to immediately do this at level one or after slaying the first dragon or something?" there just does not seem to be a reason to even start the quest line, because what am I actually awarded with by doing it? oh, houses of the opposite side. as if I don't have cooler ones from just getting a mod.

the civil war being cut a lot really explains why its this way.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

When I first played Skyrim, I was honestly surprised Ulfric wasn't claiming to be the Dragonborn. He had the Voice, Alduin showed up when he (mind you, it was YOU on the block at the time) was about to be executed, the Greybeards weren't gonna get involved to disprove his claim.

With everything being rushed, I wonder if Bethseda had any sort of plans in that direction at all.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    What do you like about the Dawnguard story? I've always felt it was one of the stupidest stories not just in Skyrim but in any video game.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

When I first played Skyrim, I was honestly surprised Ulfric wasn't claiming to be the Dragonborn. He had the Voice, Alduin showed up when he (mind you, it was YOU on the block at the time) was about to be executed, the Greybeards weren't gonna get involved to disprove his claim.

With everything being rushed, I wonder if Bethseda had any sort of plans in that direction at all.
    Its possible, but I believe Ulfric's training to learn the voice was well documented even before the Dragonborn showed up. He's the son of a jarl and it takes years for a regular human to master even the basics. Its not like he could have done that in secret.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Ulfric is many things but he wouldn't lie about such an important part of Nord culture.

Also he'd have to explain why he isn't answering the Greybeards' summon and given what happened to Wulfarth it's not a good idea to mess with these guys' prophecies.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Killing dragons and eating their souls is also something that is hard to fake. It is something people notice. and then try to mug the dragon slayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Yeah, exactly this. There is a lot of leftover coding that isn't implemented that modders have found, indicating that a lot of work was put in the civil war, then most of it was cancelled to give us what we have right now.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah, exactly this. There is a lot of leftover coding that isn't implemented that modders have found, indicating that a lot of work was put in the civil war, then most of it was cancelled to give us what we have right now.
    One wonders what it could have been if they hadn't been married to the 11/11/11 release date.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought he was Dragonborn at first with the way the Greybeards were dancing around whether or not I was the only one. It was actually a factor in me joining the Imperials for the Civil War; I wanted the fight to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    What do you like about the Dawnguard story? I've always felt it was one of the stupidest stories not just in Skyrim but in any video game.
    Gotta second this; the first couple of quests in the chain, at least, are eye-gougingly stupid. And pretty much all they had to do to improve it by leaps and bounds was just not require the player to become a vampire slayer right before sending them to a vampire they aren't supposed to slay.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Its possible, but I believe Ulfric's training to learn the voice was well documented even before the Dragonborn showed up. He's the son of a jarl and it takes years for a regular human to master even the basics. Its not like he could have done that in secret.
    I think he might have thought he was Dragonborn at one point, before the Dragons came back and made disproving it trivial. You'll note Delphine and Ulfric recognize each other, and also don't seem to be terribly happy with one another. Also Delphine knows what the Greybeards' check-for-Dragonborn test is, despite the last verified Dragonborn dying some two hundred years prior.

So I think what happened is:
    1. Ulfric started training with the Greybeards.
    2. Ulfric ended up being, for a non-Dragonborn, very good with the Thu'um.
    3. The Greybeards, not having an existing Dragonborn to compare with, decide he might be Dragonborn and send him after the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller to test him.
      • At some point during the above, Delphine and Ulfric meet, possibly she helps him out a little bit, thinking he might be Dragonborn.
    4. Ulfric fails the test, they part ways.

This also explains why Delphine wants to see you eat a Dragon soul before she'll believe you're Dragonborn, rather than take the Greybeards' word for it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

But the Greybeards would have easily been able to check wether he was a Dragonborn: by shouting at him the way they do with you and trying to shout some Words like they do to teach you. If he can learn them (and not be turned into ash by the ceremony) then he’s a Dragonborn. If not, not.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    But the Greybeards would have easily been able to check wether he was a Dragonborn: by shouting at him the way they do with you and trying to shout some Words like they do to teach you. If he can learn them (and not be turned into ash by the ceremony) then he’s a Dragonborn. If not, not.
    Duplicitous though the Greybeards may be I'm pretty sure they would not shout a man to pieces on an assumption.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    One wonders what it could have been if they hadn't been married to the 11/11/11 release date.
    We could have still been modding Oblivion at this point, and wondering when TES:V would be released.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    It takes a satisfyingly long time to complete, you get a reasonable but not excessive amount of phat lewt, and you don't get arbitrarily promoted to Lord High Anything at the end of it. Or pledge your soul to a daedra.

But more importantly, Serana. She was the first NPC to show that companions could be interesting. True, not very interesting by the standards of some later mods, but the operative word there is "later". She was the proof-of-concept, the first of her kind.
    Last edited by veti; 2020-04-29 at 12:25 AM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain