New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XVI: Sworn to Carry Your Burdens

Quote Originally Posted by Hagashager View Post
    Duplicitous though the Greybeards may be I'm pretty sure they would not shout a man to pieces on an assumption.
    Well the greybeards (not the current ones as of Skyrim but still) did shout Wulfarth ash-king to, well ashes, when he answered their summon but wasn't Tiber Septim.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcturian Heresy
    Though the Empire has crumbled, there are rumors that a chosen one will come to restore it. This new Emperor will defeat the Elves and rule a united Tamriel. Naturally, Wulfharth thinks he is the figure of prophecy. He goes directly to High Hrothgar to hear the Greybeards speak. When they do, Ysmir is blasted to ash again. He is not the chosen one. It is a warrior youth from High Rock.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Well the greybeards (not the current ones as of Skyrim but still) did shout Wulfarth ash-king to, well ashes, when he answered their summon but wasn't Tiber Septim.
    I'm not a fan of technicalities but in this case I think they're warranted.

Ysmir wasn't a normal mortal. He was a lich-esque incorporeal sorcerer king who could resurrect himself. The Greybeards probably figured there'd no harm in trying on him since he's not really endangering himself if he fails the test.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

I seem to recall that the Greybeards explicitly don’t Shout at you, the actual Dragonborn, until well after they’ve tested you in several different ways (taught you Shouts, made you go get the Horn) and you pass.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not a fan of technicalities but in this case I think they're warranted.

Ysmir wasn't a normal mortal. He was a lich-esque incorporeal sorcerer king who could resurrect himself. The Greybeards probably figured there'd no harm in trying on him since he's not really endangering himself if he fails the test.
    Did they know that, though?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I seem to recall that the Greybeards explicitly don’t Shout at you, the actual Dragonborn, until well after they’ve tested you in several different ways (taught you Shouts, made you go get the Horn) and you pass.
    "Getting the horn" isn't some kind of litmus test for dragonborn-ness, though. Let's not forget, it wasn't actually the DB who retrieved it from the tomb - it was someone else, who seems to have been able to bypass the spiders and draugr and the stupid impassable-without-whirlwind-sprint gates without anyone even noticing she'd been away from home.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    "Getting the horn" isn't some kind of litmus test for dragonborn-ness, though. Let's not forget, it wasn't actually the DB who retrieved it from the tomb - it was someone else, who seems to have been able to bypass the spiders and draugr and the stupid impassable-without-whirlwind-sprint gates without anyone even noticing she'd been away from home.
    No, but they don't do that until after they teach you a pair of words, and the way they describe it, even just learning a word of power the way you do normally takes a bit longer.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #37
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Been practically speed-running Arena, following maps as I run through it. I'm in the Imperial City, staring at the Imperial Palace. I have a 100 Luck, a 100 Agility (mostly from magic items), and gonna go beat up Jagar Tharn sometime tonight or tomorrow. Then go on to Daggerfall.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Now I'm on to SkyREM: LORA. It...half-works. It gets rid of the overabundance of magic shwag, but doesn't seem to be reducing the amount of high-level gear from trash mobs. I also still find gems and money in animals.

I tried fixing this in xEdit to no avail.

So tell me, GITP Forumites- what do you guys use?

Thank you for reading my Ted-Talk.
    Have you considered Morrowloot Ultimate Simplified? It has options that just affect vanilla items instead of all the faff and extra stuff from Morrowloot Ultimate.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

9. - Top - End - #39

Finished Arena. Cana, The Eternal Champion, has moved on to Daggerfall, with a class of Eternal Champ. She's wandering around the eponymous county, having been contacted by Lady Brisenna. Trying to build up rep with the Mage's Guild. A lucky early find was an elven warhammer that provides a 30 point boost to intelligence.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you playing Daggerfall XL?

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Are you playing Daggerfall XL?
    I do not know what that is. I'm playing old school, released when I was in college, bought from GOG Daggerfall.
    The Cranky Gamer

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I meant Daggerfall Unity, but still. :)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I should try that at some point. The last time I tried to play Daggerfall I ran into a problem whereby DOSBox was skipping the mouse cursor 2 pixels along the X axis for every movement, which made half the dots on the map unclickable because the cursor kept jumping over them!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Recently started a new game in Skyrim (Switch version).
    I almost forgot how gloriously buggy that game is.
    Two words. Flying mammoths.

Even worse are enemies who just spontaneously decide "I'm gonna stand here and let that cat murderize me to death".

Or just walk away when they're close to death.
    I mean, you chase me across the map, running after me the whole time. And then, when I'm a hair away from frying you you decide to turn around and walk away at a leisurely pace?

Although I'm not sure the latter is a bug.
    Trying to flee is reasonable after all.
    That pace though...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Recently started a new game in Skyrim (Switch version).
    I almost forgot how gloriously buggy that game is.
    Two words. Flying mammoths.
    I haven't played the Switch version, but in my experience the mammoths usually fall and die. Which is totally realistic, it's exactly what you'd expect to happen to a mammoth that - for some reason - suddenly materialised two hundred metres up in the air.

I think the most spectacular bug I ever saw of that kind was when a dragon burst from the ground right in front of me - on a road - with a giant standing on its shoulders and trying to ride it, like a circus performer on a horse. If you want to see that, try running as fast as you can across huge expanses of map without stopping for anything.
    Last edited by veti; 2020-05-08 at 03:19 PM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I haven't played the Switch version, but in my experience the mammoths usually fall and die. Which is totally realistic, it's exactly what you'd expect to happen to a mammoth that - for some reason - suddenly materialised two hundred metres up in the air.
    Well, yes. That was the logical consequence.
    But before gravity reasserted itself there's that wonderfully looney-tunes-esque moment were they just stood on thin air.
    Also, I'd have called it a rain, but two mammoths aren't enough for that.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Depends entirely on how hard they hit.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Depends entirely on how hard they hit.
    Yuk.
    Thankfully the game isn't that realistic.
    Would make looting much harder.
    And unpleasant.

19. - Top - End - #49

Did a bowl of petunias appear at the same time?
    The Cranky Gamer

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Did a bowl of petunias appear at the same time?
    Didn't see one, but I didn't hear anyone think "not again", so I don't think so.
    Also, no one was shooting at me, discounting gravity being mean to spontanously airborne mammuthus specimen.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2020-05-09 at 01:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

I noticed that there's an old rumor floating around that the Mages quest line in Skyrim had been projected to be much longer and was cut even before coding started. So you would have traveled back in time, activated the eye of Magnus, caused the collapse of Winterhold, looked for the help of the Order of PSJJJJ to make things right, and then you would have returned to the present and found Winterhold reborn, as if it had never sunk into the sea.

It's a cool story, and it would have had a massive payoff, which is something I love (a whole new city!). However, I can see a lot of problems with it: travelling to the past would have meant having to create a whole different Skyrim or some way to lock the player in a fairly small area, a limitation which would have needed a decent explanation. Plus, if it gets larger and you only have one chance to visit it, then it's the sort of big undertaking you do for the main quest (Sovngarde and Camoran's Paradise).

So who knows if that ever was the project, or just the idea of some imaginative fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

22. - Top - End - #52

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    However, I can see a lot of problems with it: travelling to the past would have meant having to create a whole different Skyrim or some way to lock the player in a fairly small area
    That does actually happen in the game as shipped--there's a wooden mask in Bromjunaar Sanctuary that takes you back in time to before the place was destroyed, but you don't interact with anyone in the "past" version of the place and you're locked into the room in which you use the mask.

To be honest, the questline you describe would still work if you *don't* manage to fix things in the past and Winterhold remains broken in the present, it would just be a cool nod to what caused the destruction in the first place. The problem of forcing you to remain within a small area remains, of course.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

That's easy, dumping you into a Saarthal with a collapsed entrance and the only way out is touching the orb. Which triggers the collapse.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Sounds like a cool idea, and reasonably plausible as fan theories go. I wouldn't be surprised if there were lots of stuff like that planned out in the early stages, only to be cut before actual development began. It would make sense to cut things that would require lots of extra coding and building for a limited return of play time.

Unfortunately, there would be no real trace of it in the released game, so nothing for modders to discover and refurbish. Adding (essentially) a whole new city would also be a big undertaking for modders, requiring either a big team or a significant budget. Think of all the new NPCs and voice lines. And the changes in the rest of Skyrim.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Maybe by the time it comes out I'll have forgiven them for the lore butchery and plotline hack job that was ESO: Summerset.

27. - Top - End - #57

That's easy, dumping you into a Saarthal with a collapsed entrance and the only way out is touching the orb. Which triggers the collapse.
    Or dumping you in a living Saarthal, and keeping you in that city. You could even reuse the maps. If you want to have it preserve Winterhold, you could interact with someone doing an experiment long ago, and make a choice that MIGHT preserve Winterhold more thoroughly in the future.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2020-05-12 at 05:47 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Let's be honest they said that about the next Fallout game, were wrong, and what we got was Fallout 76. DO NOT RUSH THEM.

Also, I LIKE destroyed Winterhold.

29. - Top - End - #59

It takes a satisfyingly long time to complete, you get a reasonable but not excessive amount of phat lewt, and you don't get arbitrarily promoted to Lord High Anything at the end of it.
    Which is strange, because they do at the end of every other quest
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

30. - Top - End - #60

BlackDragon

Also, I LIKE destroyed Winterhold.
    I don't really like the way the College is perched on a spindly bit of rock, myself--it'd be OK if someone made a remark along the lines of the place is being supported by magic now, because I'm darned sure the physical stuff it's sitting on isn't sufficient for the job.