New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XVI: Sworn to Carry Your Burdens

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    (As for the Eyes of the Falmer, what's the big deal? The one you get to keep is only worth 5k, which is nice to have but it's hardly retirement money.)
    Well, I'm just going from the quest's description of them, which imply they're super rare and super valuable. Sure, they don't sell for that much once you actually have them, but we just assume that's yet another mess-up on behalf of the quest writer.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

Re: Eyes of the Falmer, I just wrote that off as ‘Mercer had better contacts and a buyer willing to pay more.’

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    turns out, no matter how high your level is, the game will never spawn in soldiers high enough in level that Odaviing can't singlehanded win any given battle in the Civil War storyline.

Then there's the possibility of the Dragonborn showing up alone to the first invasion force and using Storm Calling to take out an entire army at once. When you can summon electrical storms that sent blasts of lightning to invariably target every living thing in the area but you, you don't need an army.
    Mmm-hmm, and once you’ve killed off 90% of the Empire’s citizenry while conquering it, then what?

And I’m with Keltest, there is absolutely no reason the Thalmor couldn’t just publicly denounce Elenwen while privately transferring her somewhere else and have someone pick up exactly where she left off. They even offer to do exactly that for whatever agent of theirs manages to kill you in Riften, and those spies are a lot lower ranking and less important than Elenwen. Or claim the Dossier was forged; they’re fond of re-writing history, and even if your Dragonborn has been a saint all game they still started it under arrest. Plus Ulfric is prideful and stubborn and Tulius is under orders, plus plenty of bad blood on both sides by this point - you aren’t going to single-handedly end the war by waving a book under the faction leaders’ noses.

I do agree we should have been able to at least bring it up, but at best it would have been the first step in a long questline. (Which, to be clear, I would have been 100% on board for.)

3. - Top - End - #723
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Providing an option for player who want to maintain complete neutrality in the Civil War instead of picking a side.

As it is, the only "Neutral" option favors the Imperials. The Imperials give up some holds and kick the Thalmor Bitch out of the meeting. The Stormclaoks give up one more hold than they got.

Quite literally all you're doing if you do this is further destabilize the region as several holds are shaken up at once while giving one side an advantage over the other.

Or you can blatantly favor one hold, but that's not neutral.

Or you can skip this by winning the war for one side or the other.

There's no true neutral option.

This is odd, because the Dragonborn canonically is supposed to feel the same will to power and desire to conquer and destroy as a dragon does, because the Dragonborn is a dragon, just a differently shaped one.

You'd think "beat the two warring jackanapes into cooling their jets and playing nice instead of making land grabs during what's supposed to be a ceasefire" would be the first thing they think of.
    During my last run, I really wanted a DM, not a computer, so I could suggest "How about all troops must be kept out of Whiterun Hold? Every troop, of either side, except for the Jarl's own."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #724

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    During my last run, I really wanted a DM, not a computer, so I could suggest "How about all troops must be kept out of Whiterun Hold? Every troop, of either side, except for the Jarl's own."
    Exactly. There's a lot of really obvious stuff that you'd really think...

I know that Bethesda wanted that 11/11/11 release dates but sometimes I wonder if they shouldn't have pushed it back to 12/12/12 to give it some more polish.

A big failing of the game is... Well, as I said, the Dragonborn is supposed to canonically have the same "Will to Power" as dragons, but like most Bethesda protagonists the Dragonborn isn't very proactive.

Rarely you'll get a choice but for the most part, your choices consist of joining a faction and then just doing what you're told until you just stumble into power,. You never really seek it out.

Except, maybe I think, the vampires in Dawnguard, joining them? But other than that...

And if you do seek out power, it's out of practical need like getting Hereus Mora the secrets he wants in exchange for the Bend Will Shout. you ain't ding it because you want it, you're doing it because you need it.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Troll in the Playground

On that note, the Bend Will shout is a missed opportunity to introduce another way to do things. You literally get the power to Mind Control men, mer and dragons and can't do anything interesting with it. Sure you aren't as impressive with it as Miraak is, but you have a long time to practice and learn for Hermaeus and wouldn't it have been interesting to actually get to do something with it? Build some shrines around Skyrim and gradually dominate more and more of the region.

Imagine if you could dominate Ulfric, Tullius, the Jarls, the Thalmor, Maven and all the other people with power or influence and start reshaping Skyrim into your own image. Yes it would have neutered a bunch of quests if you could just go 'we do things my way because Thu'um,' but most of the quests where it would be interesting to have are also quests which are pretty crap anyway.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

6. - Top - End - #726

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    On that note, the Bend Will shout is a missed opportunity to introduce another way to do things. You literally get the power to Mind Control men, mer and dragons and can't do anything interesting with it. Sure you aren't as impressive with it as Miraak is, but you have a long time to practice and learn for Hermaeus and wouldn't it have been interesting to actually get to do something with it? Build some shrines around Skyrim and gradually dominate more and more of the region.

Imagine if you could dominate Ulfric, Tullius, the Jarls, the Thalmor, Maven and all the other people with power or influence and start reshaping Skyrim into your own image. Yes it would have neutered a bunch of quests if you could just go 'we do things my way because Thu'um,' but most of the quests where it would be interesting to have are also quests which are pretty crap anyway.
    Why do I have to bargain with Odahving when I have Bend Will?
    Why can't I take this Ancient Falmer text to an actual Ancient Falmer ?
    Why do I have to join the Nightengales to kill Mercer Frey? Or become a werewolf to kill Silver Hands with Aeia?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #727

BlackDragon

Why do I have to join the Nightengales to kill Mercer Frey?
    You're going to try and use Bend Will on Nocturnal? Can't imagine that going *enormously* well for you...

Also, if you were abusing Bend Will to that extent I can't help but feel Paarthurnax and the Greybeards would *have* to get involved, neutrality or no neutrality.

8. - Top - End - #728

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You're going to try and use Bend Will on Nocturnal? Can't imagine that going *enormously* well for you...

Also, if you were abusing Bend Will to that extent I can't help but feel Paarthurnax and the Greybeards would *have* to get involved, neutrality or no neutrality.
    The head Greybeard flat out says that as a Dragonborn you're allowed to use and abuse the Thuum however you see fit and they can't stop you.

The most they can do is refuse to teach you.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #729

... I do not see that conclusion following from what I wrote. Those were four separate instances, on three separate lines.
    The Cranky Gamer

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

Or start offering to pay the concessions yourself. Dunno if if that would be logical for hold swaps, but the reparations for troop atrocities or whatever seem like a good way to go ‘here I’ll pay for it, now stop squabbling because I’m done with you taking pot shots at each other.’ Plus a good use for the huge heaps of gold I always end up carrying around but can’t buy anything meaningful with.

Buying a cease-fire to save the world sounds WAY more awesome than sitting through the rest of Season Unending, though I admit that’s not a high bar.

Why do I have to join the Nightengales to kill Mercer Frey?
    This one bothered me. Karliah, sweetie, I can make you custom armor in whatever style you like, much better than the junk Nocturnal is trying to sell you, with your choice of enchantments on it. And thank you for telling me it’s okay to wear the crummy Nightingale armor* around the Thieves’ Guild, because I already wore it while I waltzed down the main street of Whiterun in broad daylight because I had some shopping to do and you wouldn’t let me wear anything else.

*I’ll be fair: it was a decent upgrade the one time I did a ‘no crafting’ run.

11. - Top - End - #731

It also strikes me as weird that magic weapons need to be recharged but magic armor and accessories don't.

It always struck me as some arbitrary distinction for.. Is it a game balance thing? Because from my perspective it just means that I don't get to use my cool weapon as often as I want because keeping a steady supply of charged soul gems is inconvenient.

I know that there are exploits with different perks and ehcnated gear to make weapon charge last longer but I've never been big on enchanting simply because... Again, getting and keeping soul gems is important and I've honestly never run into a situation where anything but the best quality mundane weapon I had available to me wasn't enough.

I mean, if you min-max Blacksmithing and get yourself a full set of upgraded deadric armor you're basically invincible for as long as you need to be.

It especially irks me when you have a weapon with an absorb magika or absorb health function, r an item like a deadric artifact where the artifact is literally a piece of a God.

Double bad for thee Staff of Magnus, which is a godly artifact that absorbs magika and health. That's literally all it does, it should just recharge itself with what it absorbs. First time I did the College's quest I had to reload the final boss because I wasn't sure what I was doing and wasted the charge.

And speaking of that. Anybody else kind of pissed off the Psjdik order just absconds with his eye? The Auger tells you to use the Staff to see through the Eye but you never get the chance to, the Psidjic's just take the damn thing as soon as you kill the guy who was abusing it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Rater, I modded out those enchantment problems long ago, the only reason I'm not playing skyrim more these days is because I have so many mods that my skyrim is very unstable, prone to closing out or not working properly and the work to update all the mods I haven't gotten around to, or get rid of or fix the problems would be a bit of work all by itself. just find the right mods to do what you want and keep the modlist reasonable and you can get rid of whatever problem you want.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

And speaking of that. Anybody else kind of pissed off the Psjdik order just absconds with his eye? The Auger tells you to use the Staff to see through the Eye but you never get the chance to, the Psidjic's just take the damn thing as soon as you kill the guy who was abusing it.
    Eh, compared to how they were portrayed in ESO, taking a powerful magical artifact out of a warzone overrun by dragons and saturated with agents of people out to destroy the world is actually rather sensible of them.

14. - Top - End - #734

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Eh, compared to how they were portrayed in ESO, taking a powerful magical artifact out of a warzone overrun by dragons and saturated with agents of people out to destroy the world is actually rather sensible of them.
    Yeah... But the being who can see the damn future tells you to use it and you never get the chance to.

It's like the game is deliberately teasing you.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah... But the being who can see the damn future tells you to use it and you never get the chance to.

It's like the game is deliberately teasing you.
    Gee its as if the game had a rushed release and isn't as deep as it could've been and your about ten years late to the complaining party on that. nothing your saying is news Rater, your in honestly most likely preaching to the choir on this, except the choir has all either accepted it as what it is or silently modded it to their liking years ago. why are you harping on this?

16. - Top - End - #736

I kinda want to remake Skyrim into a full game, and just have the various quests be available for the characters. Like, Ana the wizard isn't going to become chief of the Companions, but Bob the Fighter is.
    The Cranky Gamer

17. - Top - End - #737

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Gee its as if the game had a rushed release and isn't as deep as it could've been and your about ten years late to the complaining party on that. nothing your saying is news Rater, your in honestly most likely preaching to the choir on this, except the choir has all either accepted it as what it is or silently modded it to their liking years ago. why are you harping on this?
    Because I only just worked up the nerve to start posting.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The head Greybeard flat out says that as a Dragonborn you're allowed to use and abuse the Thuum however you see fit and they can't stop you.

The most they can do is refuse to teach you.
    Correction, they WONT stop you. If you actually go so far as to try to attack one of the greybeards, they will throw you off the mountain without a shred of remorse. Assuming you survive them long enough for them to move you that far in the first place.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #739

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Correction, they WONT stop you. If you actually go so far as to try to attack one of the greybeards, they will throw you off the mountain without a shred of remorse. Assuming you survive them long enough for them to move you that far in the first place.
    Yes, they'll defend themselves if you attack them.

One of them apparently meditates by Fuss Roh Dahing empty air at certain times of day and there's a glitch or something that stops you from acknowledging you if you're in the way which was a meme video when the game first came out.

But the point i that Arngeir explicitly says that, as Dragonborn you can do whatever you want. You are not bound by the vows they are to only use the voice for meditation and self-defense and are allowed to use it as you see fit.

There's a divine right thing in play, which makes sense when one considers that Dragon are a type of Aedra and thus, the Dragonborn is literally a minor god, or at least a demigod.

If you decide to use your Voice to conquer the continent and found a second Dragonborn imperial dynasty... They won't stop you.

the worst they can do, if you don't attack them outright, is not enable you if you do something they disagree with.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Firbolg in the Playground

That sounds like fun, actually. It would even give you a decent reason to kill Paarthurnax.

It also strikes me as weird that magic weapons need to be recharged but magic armor and accessories don't.

I think it's hereditary, in Morrowind there were lots of magic items, but only a few had permanent, always active effects (like the helm of Oredin Bearclaw, the Fists of Randagulf, Sanguine's stuff, bound weapons that gave a skill bonus, and so on). All non-permanent items had a charge pool that refilled over time (unlike your magicka). This was true for both cast-on-strike objects (weapons) and cast-when-used objects (every equip item could be in this category).

About the PSJJJJ, it mostly felt to me like stealing the ball in the end made the quest be about them instead of about the Dragonborn.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #741

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    About the PSJJJJ, it mostly felt to me like stealing the ball in the end made the quest be about them instead of about the Dragonborn.
    Exactly.

The auger tells you, quite explicitly, that you are walking a path that few walk and since there have been hundreds, maybe even thousands, of Archmages and Headmasters of Magical schools and people who were both this can't be referring to the College storyline's conclusion but to your status as a Dragonborn.

The Auger tells you to find the Staff of Magnus and use it to look through the Eye of Magnus... The implications to me seems to be that the Eye's power can only be used safely if channeled through the staff. Says that it'll really help you out.

When you know for fact that you have at least one if not several super important destinies, the guy who can see the future telling you that you should totally do this one thing with this major important artifact that you discovered tells me that maybe, just maybe, it's kind of important that you do hat thing.

I swear to God, Elder Scrolls VI is gonna reveal that something really bad happened because the Dragonborn didn't do what the Auger said and the Psidjics are just gonna be "whoops, our B."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

I swear to God, Elder Scrolls VI is gonna reveal that something really bad happened because the Dragonborn didn't do what the Auger said and the Psidjics are just gonna be "whoops, our B."
    I mean historically the only thing that ever matters in an Elder Scrolls sequel is main quest stuff: Nerevarine, Hero of Kvatch, Alduin....things like that.

everything else? optional. But all true. Because Dragon Breaks. every game technically takes place in Dragon Breaks due to their multiple mutually contradictory outcomes. Whenever Elder Scrolls 6 comes, the Dragonborn will have somehow been on both sides of the Skyrim Civil War and won either way, been both a vampire and a slayer of vampires, simultaneously have done all three outcomes of the Dark Brotherhood questline, both killed and saved both redguards of that wanted redguard questline, be Thane of all yet none of the holds, no one will be able to agree on their gender or their race, and so on.

this whole thing with the Eye of Magnus? might not have happened at all. one of the timelines of the Dragon break could simply be the Dragonborn never comes to the College, thus the Eye of Magnus is never discovered because of that secret passage never being found, because they were off becoming a hero of some other tale. when the timelines remerge, there is no telling how it will turn out, but generally only the main event is ever referenced. Skyrim is a bit odd in referencing the Shivering Isles DLC, implying that the true fate of the Hero of Kvatch is that they became a second Sheogorath, but guess what? We still haven't seen hide nor hair of Jyggalag since Oblivion so....you'd think an extra Daedric Prince of Order floating around be something worth noting or an inclusion but apparently not.

point is, there is no guarantee the Eye of Magnus will show up in ES6, or even be referenced in passing. guild stuff tends to be self-contained. I'd be more concerned about the Dragonborn potentially having destroyed one of the pillars of reality- The Throat of the World- and causing the last one holding up reality to be the Adamantine Tower in High Rock, Iliac Bay- thus the Thalmor only needs to destroy that last tower to make sure their plans to destroy the world and return everything to spirits is complete. The ES6 storyline might in fact be about making sure the Thalmor don't destroy that last tower to make sure reality keeps existing and everything doesn't get returned to being daedra-like beings.

Edit: Unless ES6's history is "and thus did the Last Dragonborn ascend to the Cyrodiilic throne like Talos before them and began handing the Thalmor's ass on a platter while reconquering much of the lands the Empire lost and everyone rejoiced" because that all takes place outside the games and thus not subject to Dragon Break, so they can say your post-Dragonbreak Last Dragonborn in the merging of the timelines went on to found the new empire/dynasty because the game doesn't cover that part....but then again they could just as easily say they became a vampire servant of Hermaeus Mora and wandered off somewhere to read books in some dark corner, or that the Dragonborn did kick them out to the point where the Altmer aren't ruled by them anymore, but that the remnants are trying to destroy the tower in a last ditch effort.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-05-01 at 05:03 AM.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit: Unless ES6's history is "and thus did the Last Dragonborn ascend to the Cyrodiilic throne like Talos before them and began handing the Thalmor's ass on a platter while reconquering much of the lands the Empire lost and everyone rejoiced"
    I hope not. I’ve said it before, but I want the squashing of the Thalmor to occur on screen. Not being allowed to feed Elenwen my swordblade remains a point of annoyance for me.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I hope not. I’ve said it before, but I want the squashing of the Thalmor to occur on screen. Not being allowed to feed Elenwen my swordblade remains a point of annoyance for me.
    I hope not as well. the Thalmor was kind of left as a loose end, and whatever hero we're playing as facing some Thalmor boss in ES6 to defend existence itself from becoming more of Oblivion would be a good climatic fight.

25. - Top - End - #745

I hope not as well. the Thalmor was kind of left as a loose end, and whatever hero we're playing as facing some Thalmor boss in ES6 to defend existence itself from becoming more of Oblivion would be a good climatic fight.
    A little bit done, though, yes? Wasn't that the plot of Oblivion?
    The Cranky Gamer

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A little bit done, though, yes? Wasn't that the plot of Oblivion?
    And ESO. Several times in ESO actually.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #747

I mean historically the only thing that ever matters in an Elder Scrolls sequel is main quest stuff: Nerevarine, Hero of Kvatch, Alduin....things like that.

everything else? optional. But all true. Because Dragon Breaks. every game technically takes place in Dragon Breaks due to their multiple mutually contradictory outcomes. Whenever Elder Scrolls 6 comes, the Dragonborn will have somehow been on both sides of the Skyrim Civil War and won either way, been both a vampire and a slayer of vampires, simultaneously have done all three outcomes of the Dark Brotherhood questline, both killed and saved both redguards of that wanted redguard questline, be Thane of all yet none of the holds, no one will be able to agree on their gender or their race, and so on.

this whole thing with the Eye of Magnus? might not have happened at all. one of the timelines of the Dragon break could simply be the Dragonborn never comes to the College, thus the Eye of Magnus is never discovered because of that secret passage never being found, because they were off becoming a hero of some other tale. when the timelines remerge, there is no telling how it will turn out, but generally only the main event is ever referenced. Skyrim is a bit odd in referencing the Shivering Isles DLC, implying that the true fate of the Hero of Kvatch is that they became a second Sheogorath, but guess what? We still haven't seen hide nor hair of Jyggalag since Oblivion so....you'd think an extra Daedric Prince of Order floating around be something worth noting or an inclusion but apparently not.

point is, there is no guarantee the Eye of Magnus will show up in ES6, or even be referenced in passing. guild stuff tends to be self-contained. I'd be more concerned about the Dragonborn potentially having destroyed one of the pillars of reality- The Throat of the World- and causing the last one holding up reality to be the Adamantine Tower in High Rock, Iliac Bay- thus the Thalmor only needs to destroy that last tower to make sure their plans to destroy the world and return everything to spirits is complete. The ES6 storyline might in fact be about making sure the Thalmor don't destroy that last tower to make sure reality keeps existing and everything doesn't get returned to being daedra-like beings.

Edit: Unless ES6's history is "and thus did the Last Dragonborn ascend to the Cyrodiilic throne like Talos before them and began handing the Thalmor's ass on a platter while reconquering much of the lands the Empire lost and everyone rejoiced" because that all takes place outside the games and thus not subject to Dragon Break, so they can say your post-Dragonbreak Last Dragonborn in the merging of the timelines went on to found the new empire/dynasty because the game doesn't cover that part....but then again they could just as easily say they became a vampire servant of Hermaeus Mora and wandered off somewhere to read books in some dark corner, or that the Dragonborn did kick them out to the point where the Altmer aren't ruled by them anymore, but that the remnants are trying to destroy the tower in a last ditch effort.
    I mean, it's pretty clear in the Sheogorath Deadric quest in Skyrim that the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and Shivering Isles Questlines are canon. Sheogorath makes direct mentions to major events of the first two and claims that Martin is his favorite Septim and even if you don't accept that his actor confirms that the Sheogorath in Skyrim is an ascended Hero of Kvatch.

Also one of the Lockpicking skill books dates to sometime after the Oblivion crisis and is written by someone who claims to have heisted an Elder Scroll.

so it does seem that as of Skyrim they're willing to just say "no, canonically your hero was this and this and this, these major things happened."

And you do have to start the College of winterhold questline as part of the main quest. The only way onto the premises is to join and entering as part of the main quest also gives you the 'go-to orientation quest, so the Dragonborn no matter what joined the College.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

My understanding of the canonicity of the quests is that while every questline happened, they didn't necessarily happened to the same person (except the main quests of the games/DLC). So while there was a Hero of Kvatch, a new Grey Fox, a champion of the Arena etc. they probably were not the same individual and any of of them may have been the one who collected all those bloody nirnroots. Every playthrough is some kind of "what-if"? What of the Dragonborn was the Companions' new herald? What if the Nerevarine joined the Imperial Cult? And so on.

In this optic, New Sheogorath referencing the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild quests is because the gods in TES have some awareness of their being characters in video games and therefore he remembers every possible playthrough of Oblivion as his life-story.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #749

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    In this optic, New Sheogorath referencing the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild quests is because the gods in TES have some awareness of their being characters in video games and therefore he remembers every possible playthrough of Oblivion as his life-story.
    That would be great except he doesn't reference any of the other questlines. No Fighters or Mages guild.

And I don't think that's ever been stated, I think that's just a popular fanon. I mostly see that being done for people criticizing Skyrim fanfics for depicting the Dragonborn as having done all the Questlines. Admittedly, most of those fics are bad...

Except that, as I noted, The Dragonborn canonically joins the College of Winterhold. You have to be a member to progress the main quest because the quest "elder Knowledge" you need to talk to Urag gro-Shub, the Librarian of the college, and only members of the college can go in. You being let in isn't treated as an exception to the rules, you're still treated as a member and unlock the next quest in the college questline if you only join at this time.

Beyond that, Cicero has some dialog if you shout in his presence after joining the Dark Brotherhood. Arnbjorn also has dialog if you're a companion and/or werewolf. Delvin Mallory has a dialog for if you're both a thieve and an assassin depending on what order you do things in.

The only questline that doesn't reference either another faction quest or your status as Dragonborn is the Companions.

The cross-referencing might be subtle, but it was non-existent in Oblivion.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That would be great except he doesn't reference any of the other questlines. No Fighters or Mages guild.

And I don't think that's ever been stated, I think that's just a popular fanon. I mostly see that being done for people criticizing Skyrim fanfics for depicting the Dragonborn as having done all the Questlines. Admittedly, most of those fics are bad...

Except that, as I noted, The Dragonborn canonically joins the College of Winterhold. You have to be a member to progress the main quest because the quest "elder Knowledge" you need to talk to Urag gro-Shub, the Librarian of the college, and only members of the college can go in. You being let in isn't treated as an exception to the rules, you're still treated as a member and unlock the next quest in the college questline if you only join at this time.

Beyond that, Cicero has some dialog if you shout in his presence after joining the Dark Brotherhood. Arnbjorn also has dialog if you're a companion and/or werewolf. Delvin Mallory has a dialog for if you're both a thieve and an assassin depending on what order you do things in.

The only questline that doesn't reference either another faction quest or your status as Dragonborn is the Companions.

The cross-referencing might be subtle, but it was non-existent in Oblivion.
    I think its a little misleading to say they joined the College. They may have their name on a member list somewhere, but even the most meat headed Dragonborn can get in by flexing their Shout muscles at the gatekeeper, and then promptly run off to never think about education again. It might be more accurate to say that the dragonborn is an honorary member by canon, and the extent to which they actually do anything with that is left as an exercise to the player.