New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XVI: Sworn to Carry Your Burdens

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't really like the way the College is perched on a spindly bit of rock, myself--it'd be OK if someone made a remark along the lines of the place is being supported by magic now, because I'm darned sure the physical stuff it's sitting on isn't sufficient for the job.
    Let's face it, that's true for most of Skyrim, though. Between underground springs, caves, tombs, catacombs and dungeons, to say nothing of Blackreach, there's scarcely space for a house on anything that could be called "solid ground".
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Solitude castle is one mis-aimed geological event from being archeology as well.

As for the college, to be honest it already had a bridge, so it must have been on that rock for a long time. Though it not like it's a particularly massive structure by Skyrim standards.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Started playing Blades.
    The game's truly worth every cent.

Nah, I exaggerate.
    It's a pretty good game, aside from crashing repeatedly this morning*.
    Highlights include someone who's totally not the god of madness** allowing you to re-customize your PC.
    Also introduces you to the Abyss, that massive Mystery Dungeon under your city.
    The dialogue is appropriately confusion and hilarious.

*And only on one quest.
    Might've been the dungeon.
    **Theodor Gorlash. Completely missed the pun and still thought at first sight Great. It's Sheogorath, isn't it?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Started playing Blades.
    All zero cents you paid for it?

Nah, I exaggerate.
    It's a pretty good game, aside from crashing repeatedly this morning*.
    Highlights include someone who's totally not the god of madness** allowing you to re-customize your PC.
    Also introduces you to the Abyss, that massive Mystery Dungeon under your city.
    The dialogue is appropriately confusion and hilarious.

*And only on one quest.
    Might've been the dungeon.
    **Theodor Gorlash. Completely missed the pun and still thought at first sight Great. It's Sheogorath, isn't it?
    So the authentic Elder Scrolls experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    All zero cents you paid for it?
    That's the joke, yes.

So the authentic Elder Scrolls experience?
    After Skyrim I should've known better, really.
    I've no idea what I was thinking.
    You know, beyond "hey, at least it's free."
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Started playing Blades.
    That pretty much sums up my feelings about it; unfortunately the whole thing was way too shallow and RNG-heavy to hold my interest.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I got fed up with waiting ten minutes for the blasted game to download ridiculous volumes of updates, seemingly every time I wanted to play.

It seemed to me that Bethesda had failed to grasp the concept of casual gaming.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I got fed up with waiting ten minutes for the blasted game to download ridiculous volumes of updates, seemingly every time I wanted to play.

It seemed to me that Bethesda had failed to grasp the concept of casual gaming.
    It’s been so long since I played I’d actually forgotten about that, but I could have lived with it if the game itself were fun. All there really is is the dungeon delves, and not only are they very cookie-cutteresque, I only end up fighting the same six monster types over and over again. The loot is all leveled and boring. The town customization isn’t very customizable, and getting the materials is a slow grind that requires me to do the tedious dungeon delves. There aren’t many quests that aren’t fill-in-the-blank dailies. The ones that exist frequently have difficulty spikes so while the previous quest might have been doable the next one in the line will be “Ha ha, go grind for a week before you even think about it newbie!” The NPCs are flat and uninteresting.

So I guess the tl:dr is, I couldn’t agree more.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2020-05-18 at 09:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Realized I had been avoiding Daggerfall because I hated the interface, so I downloaded Daggerfall Unity. I've been really enjoying it, though the dungeons remain a total pain in the ass. You think Skyrim's donuts are annoying? Try wandering a Daggerfall dungeon for a while, looking for a person.

Currently, beelining through the Mage's Guild. Then I will do Stendarr, because someone has to take them seriously in Tamriel, since Bethesda refuses to.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

There should be a Unity mod for smaller dungeons, which (in my view) is nigh-on essential.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Question that’s been bothering me for a bit: if Balgruuf died, who would take over Whiterun? None of his kids is really set up as heir...

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Doesn't help that...

Spoiler: Spoilers anyways
    Show

...one of his kids is probably a burgeoning murder hobo due to the Ebony Blade talking to him.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

His brother, I assume. And then Vignar, I guess?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    There should be a Unity mod for smaller dungeons, which (in my view) is nigh-on essential.
    I'm not taking any more "Find the ingredient" quests, I can tell you that.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I may be wrong, but aren't most of the dungeons in Daggerfall randomly generated? Replacing them with smaller versions would thus be really difficult, because you'd have to create a new random dungeon creation system that both created smaller dungeons and also produced dungeons that were generally possible to complete.

16. - Top - End - #76

Daggerfall Unity apparently has it as an experimental setting... once I can locate the settings.ini file, you can set SmallerDungeons to True and it will make everthing about the size of a graveyard dungeon

EDIT: Found it. C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity, despite NOTHING with Daggerfall being on C:.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2020-05-20 at 09:55 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer

17. - Top - End - #77

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    EDIT: Found it. C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity, despite NOTHING with Daggerfall being on C:.
    In any version of Windows since XP, the actual installation folders for games etc. are often locked down so that regular user accounts can't write to them, not to mention there may be multiple user accounts on the PC that don't necessarily want to share saves etc. So, games will put stuff that the user actually needs to change, like settings files and save games, somewhere inside the user's own profile folder, which in most cases will be on drive C unless you've actively moved it elsewhere.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    In any version of Windows since XP, the actual installation folders for games etc. are often locked down so that regular user accounts can't write to them, not to mention there may be multiple user accounts on the PC that don't necessarily want to share saves etc. So, games will put stuff that the user actually needs to change, like settings files and save games, somewhere inside the user's own profile folder, which in most cases will be on drive C unless you've actively moved it elsewhere.
    Yeah, but most of those on my other things are on my D:, which is why it took me a while to find.
    The Cranky Gamer

19. - Top - End - #79

BlackDragon

Yeah, but most of those on my other things are on my D:, which is why it took me a while to find.
    Sounds like you might have moved your Documents folder to the D: drive but not moved the APPDATA tree. Personally I wish developers would put stuff in a consistent place (like My Games in your documents folder) rather than creating new folders all over the place or sticking stuff in APPDATA, but there's not anything I can do to force them to do that.

20. - Top - End - #80

I wound up starting over, making a new version of the Eternal Champion Healer that levels up faster. I wound up forbidding every weapon except Blunt, taking a critical weakness to Paralysis (which, in Unity, means I have a standard resistance to it), a Critical Weakness to Shock (it was suggested by a few things), and giving myself expertise in blunt and *3 magery. It's working better, but Privateer's hold was ROUGH, since I could not find a blunt weapon to save my life.
    The Cranky Gamer

21. - Top - End - #81
    Spamalot in the Playground

You think Skyrim's donuts are annoying?
    Not really. Or at least, not as annoying as the prospect of backtracking through some of those really long dungeons. :3

Though there was the occasional dungeon like the second Potema encounter where you get dumped outside on the far side of the mountains. I suppose dungeon designs could do that instead.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I really like the doughnut dungeon concept.

Sure it's contrived, but so what? It's a shortcut. You really want to trek back out the way you came? Well, knock yourself out, there's nothing stopping you. I'll see you back in town.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I really like the doughnut dungeon concept.

Sure it's contrived, but so what? It's a shortcut. You really want to trek back out the way you came? Well, knock yourself out, there's nothing stopping you. I'll see you back in town.
    For that matter, its not that contrived. Priests in the inner sanctum need an escape route and/or air shafts as well.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

My only complaint about doughnut dungeons is that it makes them linear and exploration isn't really possible as a result. They're more practical, yes, but an element of mystery and hidden rooms is lost.

Still, Oblivion didn't have much of secret rooms either, that was more Morrowind's thing.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground

Do you remember not having to backtrack because you had intervention and recall? The Dren Plantation remembers!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I've actually never used those spells myself.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground

They were pretty good. You could put mark in an important spot and, once you wanted to go back to civilization, you could choose between going to the closest Tribunal temple or imperial chapel, or simply recall. In practice, once you had an idea of the links within the transportation system, you could follow known routes and easily reach most inhabited places, and choose where to start another expedition in the wilderness.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Do you remember not having to backtrack because you had intervention and recall?
    Second this. I would rather have these spells and more interesting dungeons. They'd also make the very slow slog back to town after I overburden myself with loot that much faster.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Second this. I would rather have these spells and more interesting dungeons. They'd also make the very slow slog back to town after I overburden myself with loot that much faster.
    That would be nice. Cut down on the number of fast travel points dramatically, and mark landmarks and caves and such as non travel points. Then add mark and recall so getting out is easy, but getting back requires some intelligence and planning without being a total pain.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That would be nice. Cut down on the number of fast travel points dramatically, and mark landmarks and caves and such as non travel points. Then add mark and recall so getting out is easy, but getting back requires some intelligence and planning without being a total pain.
    Morrowind didn't do player-initiated fast travel, save through magic. You wanted to go from A to B? You walked, you teleported, you took a boat or a silt strider. You couldn't just say "I want to go to Balmora", select it on the map, and travel there... you had to know how to get to Balmora through the transit network.

Incidentally, my early game stronghold was always the Balmora Council Club. Kill everyone inside and it's a conveniently located focal point for adventures.
    The Cranky Gamer