New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XVI: Sworn to Carry Your Burdens

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Well, even if that's true, you would still expect things to get warmer as you head in the direction of the sun.
    Assuming the infinite expanse of pure magic(?) that makes up the Aetherius beyond Mundus gives off heat, sure. Remember, as he said, it's not really the sun. It's not a star. There's no combustion. It's just a big hole in an opaque dome that lets in light from the next plane of existence over.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Assuming the infinite expanse of pure magic(?) that makes up the Aetherius beyond Mundus gives off heat, sure. Remember, as he said, it's not really the sun. It's not a star. There's no combustion. It's just a big hole in an opaque dome that lets in light from the next plane of existence over.
    I'm personally going to continue to assume things like sun=hot are true unless specifically told otherwise by the lore. You do you though.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Titan in the Playground

It might just be that Skyrim isn't naturally this cold but whatever froze Atmora also affected it.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The presence of continents to the south of Tamriel would seem to suggest that it is indeed in the northern hemisphere, otherwise you quickly stop being able to say the continents are south due to having passed the south pole to fit them all.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The presence of continents to the south of Tamriel would seem to suggest that it is indeed in the northern hemisphere, otherwise you quickly stop being able to say the continents are south due to having passed the south pole to fit them all.
    If I remember correctly the continents are:
    Atmora (north), Akavir (east), Yokuda (west), Pyandonea (an island-continent, south) and aldmeris (south? Possibly mythical).

Seems like it would fit. Although, the descriptions of Pyandonea point towards it being a tropical/equatorial region.

Edit: if the sun does go north in Skyrim (I have never bothered to check) then the moqt likely explanation is that Bethesda goofed.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-06-25 at 08:19 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    One of my annoyances with the housing situation (aside from how empty your many, many homes are) is the difficulty of getting one in Windhelm. Like... you either have to have devoted to the Stormcloaks, or destroyed the Stormcloaks, in order to get a house there.
    Yeah, it's one of the houses I just don't really get into purchasing at all because of how late it gets until you're given that chance. Solitude seems to be the only place outside Whiterun where I end up buying real estate because I can get it early enough to be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    What we need is a version of "multiple adoptions" that lets you divide the tots between multiple households.
    We're franchising parenthood now? XD

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    There is a 'Winterhold Restored' mod. I use it ALL the time. "Winterhold rebuild" for those of you wanting to rebuild it.
    *takes notes*

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    In fact, I wouldnt' even assume that Nirn rotates or orbits anything unless there's an explicit mention that I am not aware of or forgot about.
    Okay, but as I stand on Nirn I can clearly see that the hole moves across the sky in a predictable path at a regular interval. Either Nirn is spinning on an axis, the Mundus field up there is spinning, or the hole itself is moving around the field. Maybe a combo of these options. If none were moving, then the hole wouldn't move from my perspective on Nirn.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Troll in the Playground

I think Nirn itself is fixed in space, but spins around it's own axis, and all the other planets and moons orbit around it or around each other as Secundus orbits Masser, and the stars and sun are fixed in place but seem to rotate from a terrestial perspective due to the rotation of Nirn.

I think the orreries in the games all have Mundus as the center of the orbital model.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I think the orreries in the games all have Mundus as the center of the orbital model.
    Which doesn't mean they're actually correct, of course--plenty of orreries in mediaeval times showed Earth at the centre, and we all know how that worked out.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Troll in the Playground

True, but this is a reality where the sun and stars are holes in space that you can actually travel through if you have the means to reach them, the other planets are the material forms of gods, and the High Elves and the Reman Dynasty empire had space programs specifically to travel through the stars into the realm of Aetherius and reportedly managed to do so.

The knowledge of the structure of Mundus and it's relationship to Oblivion and Aetherius is not exactly something based on speculation.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

The Sun visible from Nirn is a hole in the sky from whence the God of Magic escaped the Mundus for aetheris.

Do not assume that its position in the sky has anything to do with orbital mechanics.

In fact, I wouldnt' even assume that Nirn rotates or orbits anything unless there's an explicit mention that I am not aware of or forgot about.
    Before Copernicus you'd have heard a very similar story on Earth. I don't think that that legend or myth being widespread proves it to be true, or even canon in Skyrim.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #1301

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    or the hole itself is moving around the field. Maybe a combo of these options. If none were moving, then the hole wouldn't move from my perspective on Nirn.
    It's canon that one of the signs, the constellations that people are under in some games to get a special power, moves across the sky and makes the place of a different other sign every year.

And the stars are also holes between Mundus and Aetherius, created by Mangnus's followers... Following him, so...
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's canon that one of the signs, the constellations that people are under in some games to get a special power, moves across the sky and makes the place of a different other sign every year.

And the stars are also holes between Mundus and Aetherius, created by Mangnus's followers... Following him, so...
    The first i believe is canon, the second is a canon belief held by the mer, which may or may not be accurate. This is an important distinction.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Bugbear in the Playground

I take stuff about the Dawn Era with a mountain of salt.

The stuff in the Merethic Era, I take with a shaker of salt.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

14. - Top - End - #1304

One thing to add to the climate discussion was that in very old lore, it was in fact said that Skyrim was cold mainly because it was so high up. The entire province was extremely high mountains, with some of the settlements above the clouds, and the entire ocean coast was craggy fjords. One of the reasons it's called Skyrim: they are very close to the sky.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-06-26 at 01:58 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #1305

BlackDragon

Skyrim is pretty much on the same latitude as Morrowind, if I remember my Tamrielic geography, and yet there's nary a flake of snow to be seen in Vvardenfell, which reinforces that idea as well.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Banned

Clearly Skyrim is just colder due to a lower air pressure from all of the air leaking out of these holes in the sky.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ogre in the Playground

Much of Vvardenfell is a volcanic wasteland. I wouldn't be surprised if it was considerably warmer than the mainland.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Much of Vvardenfell is a volcanic wasteland. I wouldn't be surprised if it was considerably warmer than the mainland.
    The gods living there might also have a say about temperatures.

About Magnus, I seem to remember an apparently contradictory information: that the sky changes colour, because it's actually Magnus's elemental cloak. I couldn't find which book it came from, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #1309

I forgotten how much time it takes to install mods. Or more specifically, researching mod compatibilities for an hour before pushing a couple buttons to install mods. XD

For example, I had to look up this spreadsheet for Legacy of the Dragonborn to see which of my other mods needed a patch added. I found two (RS Children and Artificer) and installed them, but then I noticed this one patch called "Namira for Good Guys" so I went looking for that mod. Found out it's a little mod to give you an out for needing to sacrifice the priest and eat him. Neat! So I go install this and then noticed it's past dinner time.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Found out it's a little mod to give you an out for needing to sacrifice the priest and eat him. Neat! So I go install this and then noticed it's past dinner time.
    I thought you could just kill mind control cannibal lady upfront to end the quest? Admittedly it’s been a while.

21. - Top - End - #1311

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I thought you could just kill mind control cannibal lady upfront to end the quest? Admittedly it’s been a while.
    You can kill her without talking to her which ends the quest.

You can also bring the priest to the Canibal dinner as planned, then turn around and kill all the cannibals instead of him, though this forfeits the ring and also costs you a couple of MArkath merchants because they're all cannibals and they won't be replaced.

Granted, I don't think any of them sell anything unique, but still, it can be inconvenient.

In particular, when I did the quest the first time I went around and spoke to all of them... The butcher, if you say you recognize him as such, will comment about how he sells the freshest cuts of meat in the most sinister of tones, implying that not only is he a cannibal, but that he sells human flesh to non-suspecting people.

I always killed them all after that. Stamp out that nonsense.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #1312

Yeah, to my knowledge, you can kill the cannibals and end the quest that way, but you don't get the ring. Since Legacy of the Dragonborn has a museum for those artifacts, I want to try this mod to see if I can do both.

I mean, sure I can just console command me a ring, but I want to see what this little mod can do. :3

Semi-related, found a mod that allows you to refuse joining Nocturnal and becoming a nightingale to finish the thieves guild quest. Obviously this means you don't get the nightingale armor, the perks, or a chance to enter the twilight schulpter... bit honestly that's not a big deal to me. Well maybe the armor for the museum but we shall see. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ogre in the Playground

In particular, when I did the quest the first time I went around and spoke to all of them... The butcher, if you say you recognize him as such, will comment about how he sells the freshest cuts of meat in the most sinister of tones, implying that not only is he a cannibal, but that he sells human flesh to non-suspecting people.

I always killed them all after that. Stamp out that nonsense.
    IIRC this is also why the fighting dogs he feeds are so vicious. They’re not being trained with beef.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

You can also bring the priest to the Canibal dinner as planned, then turn around and kill all the cannibals instead of him, though this forfeits the ring and also costs you a couple of MArkath merchants because they're all cannibals and they won't be replaced.
    The only useful merchant there is Lisbet, and she has an assistant who will take over the store when she's gone. Banning isn't replaced, but who wants a dog anyway? - well, if you do, you'll just have to buy it before finishing this quest.

(Let's face it, if you're going to Markarth for the shopping, you're doomed to disappointment at the best of times.)
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Titan in the Playground

Calcelmo's the only useful shop in Markarth.

As for the Nightengale Armor play with Zim's Immersive Artifacts and you'll change your feelings on that real fast.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

The only useful merchant there is Lisbet, and she has an assistant who will take over the store when she's gone. Banning isn't replaced, but who wants a dog anyway? - well, if you do, you'll just have to buy it before finishing this quest.

(Let's face it, if you're going to Markarth for the shopping, you're doomed to disappointment at the best of times.)
    Or join the Dawnguard. Or the Volkihar for Death Hounds.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Titan in the Playground

So lore question: what exactly is the difference between Oblivion and Aetherius?

The Et'Ada were living (for lack of a better term) in Aetherius until Shezzar came up with the whole Mundus deal. Those who took part ended up inside Mundus and then died/re-ascended to Aetherius but those who didn't ended up ruling their own planes in Oblivion. Why did they move from their home?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So lore question: what exactly is the difference between Oblivion and Aetherius?

The Et'Ada were living (for lack of a better term) in Aetherius until Shezzar came up with the whole Mundus deal. Those who took part ended up inside Mundus and then died/re-ascended to Aetherius but those who didn't ended up ruling their own planes in Oblivion. Why did they move from their home?
    Not exactly.

The Daedra did not spawn from Aetherius, and was never their home. They spawned from the Void of Sithis. The Aedra originated from Aetherius. the Daedra made Oblivion in mockery of Mundus, but Oblivion is considered the inverse of Aetherius. For some reason.

this is because Aetherius is basically Anu, the soul of the universe, it is static light, unchanging and the source of all magic, while Sithis is change. the Daedra left the Void, probably because mother's preference for nothingness and infinite darkness sucked, but why would Padomaic beings go along with anything involving Anuic ones? Sithis of course made Lorkhan to destroy Anu and the Daedra somehow, supposedly. we all know how that turned out if that was really her plan.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #1319

Once again I forgot to adjust the settings in Frostfall so that I don't freeze to death on the ride to Helgen. XD

The only useful merchant there is Lisbet, and she has an assistant who will take over the store when she's gone.
    I remember how crushed I was when I learned Lisbet was a cannibal. She seemed so nice! If there's one thing I learned about Markarth, it's that everyone will disappoint you at some point.

Except maybe Calcelmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    As for the Nightengale Armor play with Zim's Immersive Artifacts and you'll change your feelings on that real fast.
    *takes notes*

I'll check it out. Artificer has been pretty darn good at making the uniques feel decently powerful (I do like the two-handed Dawnbreaker version in that mod). Can't remember if/what it did for the Nightingale armor.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #1320

Honestly, and I know this would have been hard to program, there really should have been a full Renegade option where you jut sort of taking over the holds for yourself and damn the Civil War.

You go in the Hold, you clean **** up, and you don't necessarily have to depose the Jarl..You just need to either earn their loyalty or make them more scared of you than the other factions... Though playing both sides in the War to get your preferred Jarl in each hold could be a viable option.

Either clean up the corruption in each hold that it or twist it t serve your own needs.

Optionally including a variant of Season Unending where you either kill both Ulfrick and Tullius to cause a ceasefire from both armies being decapitated, or just kick the crap out of them a good dozen times each until they're forced to acknowledge that they can't win and agree to a ceasefire on your terms, as resentful as they might be.

The Dragonborn is supposed to have the drive to Destroy and Conquer that the Dov do, because they are a dragon, just one shaped in mortar form. It'd be nice if we were allowed to act like it sometime.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks