New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XVI: Sworn to Carry Your Burdens

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    It's been a while, but my memory is that "killing everyone in the Council Club" is not that easy. After getting my backside handed to me a couple of times, I decided it had to wait till level 10 or thereabouts, which is stretching the idea of "early game" somewhat.
    It is doable, but it takes a lot of CHIM.

Basically, IIRC, I start by getting the guy at the top of the stairs mad at me. I can usually do that, and take him out with, again, IIRC, summons. Bound weapons are a great help to improve your damage.

You then sit at the top of the stairs and let the stairs be a conga line. You drink potions like water. Sometimes, you run away for a bit.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    It is doable, but it takes a lot of CHIM.

Basically, IIRC, I start by getting the guy at the top of the stairs mad at me. I can usually do that, and take him out with, again, IIRC, summons. Bound weapons are a great help to improve your damage.

You then sit at the top of the stairs and let the stairs be a conga line. You drink potions like water. Sometimes, you run away for a bit.
    The way I usually do it is to taunt the guy at the top of the stairs into attacking, kill him, taunt the guy in the basement into attacking, kill him, and then deal with the guys in the main room.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

When it comes to Balmora housing, I normally default to Hlaalo manor, as it's easy to acquire and, so long as you don't mind rooting around in a dead guy, has infinite storage space.

In other news, I've fallen down the Enderal rabbit hole again. It's been three years since I last played, and I'm already eager to see what the new DLC added.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

What are everyone’s thoughts on mounts?

I’m mostly thinking of Oblivion where the different breeds have different stats, which on one hand is kind of realistic but on the other locks you in to a specific look if you want max speed. But there is also the drawback of the thing charging into battle against foes it has no chance against.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

I used a horse mod which, amongst others, added horses to all NPC factions (ensuring that they aren't attacked by anything).

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Hate 'em. Can't sneak, third person camera, fighting is a pain and even if you struggle through that, you still have to dismount to loot the enemy. Net increase in speed - seriously, who cares? What difference does it make?

It's a very different story in Kingdom Come: Deliverance. There, speed really does matter, and the ability to outrun enemies is pretty handy too. Each mount has its own stats (and a price tag to match).
    Last edited by veti; 2020-06-14 at 03:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

If you don't fast travel, a black steed in OB makes a big differences to walking everywhere. In Skyrim, it's mostly meh.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    If you don't fast travel, a black steed in OB makes a big differences to walking everywhere. In Skyrim, it's mostly meh.
    Sure you can travel faster. That feels cool for an hour or so, then you realise it's just as boring as travelling on foot and fast travel is only a mouse click away.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's on you. I almost never fast travel because I enjoy the exploration aspect and I always make sure that there are plenty of in-game fast-travel options if I'm in a hurry.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oblivion lacks any strong incentive to not run everywhere - running merely reduces fatigue regeneration in Oblivion as opposed to draining fatigue as in Morrowind, and Oblivion's somewhat-reduced weapon damage at low fatigue is in my opinion significantly less punishing than Morrowind's reduced chances of successfully hitting/casting a spell/picking a lock/etc - so I don't know why you'd be walking everywhere unless you just want to do so, and if your character's speed stat is high enough you can outrun most or all of the horses anyways. Mounts also have to be left at the door to whatever dungeon or city you're going into, can wander off and potentially get killed offscreen when you've dismounted them to do something which would be inconvenient or impossible to do while mounted, mostly just get in the way when you're fighting something, and make crossing water inconvenient if you can't jump across it or put a Water Walking spell on the horse.

Overall, my opinion of horses in Oblivion is that they're nice in theory and fun to play around with once in a while but too much of an inconvenience to bother with otherwise.

11. - Top - End - #131

Back then, I found horses to be a nice step up from Morrowind. But they obviously carry with them all of the problems of companions. I think I lost Shadowmere somewhere.

Skyrim has an awesome mod, called Convenient Horses, which corrects a lot of the problems implicit with the game AND lets you decide horse behaviour and make it invulnera, if you want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

I used to grind my smithing up by exploring dwarven ruins and grabbing everything I could to smelt down the dwarven stuff into dwarven ingots and then used that to craft stuff. Of course, than would weigh me down to a crawl and prevent fast travel, so I solved it 2 fold. 1) I became a werewolf specifically for going into wolf form and I could sprint travel when heavily weighed down as you can not be over encumbered in werewolf form. And 2) I discovered that in the lower pass of the mountains around Helgen there was a hunter and his horse loitering around in the pass on Riften side. Well wouldn't you know, when I sprint in there in my werewolf form, I would run out and change back to normal right about there. So after re-donning my armor (And killing the hunter 1 time as he doesn't respawn), I would "Steal" the horse (yet get no bounty because no witnesses) and then use it to sprint/faster travel the rest of the way as horses can't be over encumbered by weight either. And then when I got to Whiterun, as my base of operations, and got off the horse, the horse would turn around and walk back to the exact spot every time. So I did this when I was exploring all the dwarven ruins around Riften. This was before I knew the Ring of Hircine was a thing that allowed me unlimited werewolf transformations.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

The other thing you can do with Convenient horses that might be more useful to you, is make the horse follow a short distance away. It's now a pack horse that can be ordered to stay where it is at the touch of a button, loaded down with all your stuff and will follow you around without all the smarmy comments.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2020-06-14 at 09:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Skyrim has an awesome mod, called Convenient Horses, which corrects a lot of the problems implicit with the game AND lets you decide horse behaviour and make it invulnera, if you want to.
    Or you can just play vanilla and get Arvak, who can be summoned wherever you choose.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

What horses need to make them valuable is saddlebags. You'd think that would be easy enough to implement, but whatever.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

16. - Top - End - #136
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Why do you need saddlebags when Lydia is "sworn to carry your burdens"?

17. - Top - End - #137

What horses need to make them valuable is saddlebags. You'd think that would be easy enough to implement, but whatever.
    That's Convenient Horses.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Oblivion lacks any strong incentive to not run everywhere - running merely reduces fatigue regeneration in Oblivion as opposed to draining fatigue as in Morrowind, and Oblivion's somewhat-reduced weapon damage at low fatigue is in my opinion significantly less punishing than Morrowind's reduced chances of successfully hitting/casting a spell/picking a lock/etc - so I don't know why you'd be walking everywhere unless you just want to do so, and if your character's speed stat is high enough you can outrun most or all of the horses anyways.
    By "walking", I meant "on foot", not literally walking everywhere. As you say, there's no reason to walk anywhere unless you're sneaking.

19. - Top - End - #139

As you say, there's no reason to walk anywhere unless you're sneaking.
    Why walk, when you can ride?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still on Oldrim, so I can just teleport.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    We have that on SSE too.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Psijic Teleport spells didn't update beyond blink as a spell as far as I know.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Psijic Teleport spells didn't update beyond blink as a spell as far as I know.
    There are other mods that take up the burden. I have one that adds back in Mark and Recall as spells.

24. - Top - End - #144

I’m mostly thinking of Oblivion where the different breeds have different stats, which on one hand is kind of realistic but on the other locks you in to a specific look if you want max speed. But there is also the drawback of the thing charging into battle against foes it has no chance against.
    It depends on whether you're talking about vanilla or not. (And, since I've only done one playthrough of Oblivion, I will instead substitute with Skyrim feelings.)

In Vanilla Skyrim, horses aren't much use. Certainly, they'll get you from point A to point B faster than walking, which is handy if you prefer not to use fast travel. But they're only really useful in going directly from one point to another, so if you're not anti-fast travel, it's usually simpler to just open the map and click where you want to go. Mounted combat is butts, since you're locked in third person, can't use magic or archery, and hitting an enemy in melee requires the timing of a tekken player or the patience of a saint. Plus, the mount/dismount animation is fairly lengthy, which means that in a pinch you have to choose between being locked in place for four seconds while wolves gnaw your ankles, or just sprinting past the enemy.

Convenient Horses is a game changer for me. Mounted combat is still butts, but you're able to dismount almost instantaneously. What's more, you don't need to dismount for most things, as talking to people, harvesting plants, and looting enemies can all be done from the safety of your saddle. Paired with saddlebags, commands, and customization, it takes your horse from "oh right, I have one of those" to something you might actually use on a daily basis.

I do like that even on Special Edition, you have options for that. Ordinator has the home mythal and dimension door, Apocalypse Magic has Mark and Recall, and there's stuff like the Shalidor's Beacon spell from Obscuro's College of Winterhold..

My mage character has started treating his airship as a portable base. Since he has a Mark inside the ship, he can skip the long walk of the looter after every dungeon. It's a useful trick.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

25. - Top - End - #145

There is only one Skyrim spell I'd often use while mounted, and that's light on self. The realistic lighting mod makes the night a lot darker and such spells way more useful and entertaining. I don't remember if I also installed a mod for mounted casting, or just edited the spell to last 10 minutes.

For me, CH is a key mod because it lets you go adventuring in the wilderness without having to fast travel to a town after each dungeon to drop your load. Plus, it preserves the concept that you should have limited stuff on you while in a dungeon, since you are leaving the horse outside.

However, I read that they eliminated the infinite load for the horse, which I think I would miss, if I used it now.

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    However, I read that they eliminated the infinite load for the horse, which I think I would miss, if I used it now.
    Strangely enough, I think that's actually a good decision on the part of the mod author. I remember that back on Oldrim, I'd start grabbing everything in the dungeon because I knew the horse could hold it, and wound up with loading times in the tens of seconds whenever I tried to open my saddlebags.

What I disagree with is the decision to rewrite the Special Edition mod to use only vanilla key presses and key combinations. While it means that the mod can run perfectly well without SKSE64, it means that most actions are context sensitive, which makes the mod overall a bit more fiddly and less handy. For instance, in the original mod, harvesting ingredients was a keybind that you set up in MCM. Since the harvest radius was fairly large, that meant that you could just hold down the button, ride down the center of the road, and hoover up all the ingredients remotely near the path. In the new mod, harvesting an ingredient happens when you slow down with an ingredient inside the harvest radius, which means that I find myself stop-and-going a lot to get the harvest mechanism to proc. It's better than dismounting, but still janky.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Psijic Teleport is a bit more free. I can spend mana to jump from say... Riften to Ivarstead. And it's about 800 mana. Meaning I can cross Skyrim in three jumps, but it's expensive.

Technically Dual-cast Midas Haste is even faster. Unfortunately, I tend to splat myself going over a small rise.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So, turns out Heimskr doesn't stop ranting for a moment even when a dragon is breathing directly on him.

Gotta respect that commitment.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

So, turns out Heimskr doesn't stop ranting for a moment even when a dragon is breathing directly on him.

Gotta respect that commitment.
    Anointed directly by Akatosh! Must mean his message is true!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I like them in Skyrim, you get a really good one from the Dark Brotherhood arc, and I found the mounted combat to be pretty decent, though archery from horseback wasn't so good. Maybe not the best implementation of mounted combat, but far from terrible.