New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XVI: Sworn to Carry Your Burdens

The only problem with Skyrim is how SLOW the horses are.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The only problem with Skyrim is how SLOW the horses are.
    It's slow for a reason. They don't want to shrink the scope of the world by giving the player blinding speed. That space that seems so vast is really quite small, about 14 square miles, about a third of the size of San Francisco. So if your steed can gallop at 30 miles per hour, he's going to carry you across the entire continent in 7 minutes. Going from Whiterun to Rorikstead will feel like walking down the block.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    It's slow for a reason. They don't want to shrink the scope of the world by giving the player blinding speed. That space that seems so vast is really quite small, about 14 square miles, about a third of the size of San Francisco. So if your steed can gallop at 30 miles per hour, he's going to carry you across the entire continent in 7 minutes. Going from Whiterun to Rorikstead will feel like walking down the block.
    ...Yes?

Horses are supposed to be fast. If they are only marginally faster than walking, why do they even exist?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    It's slow for a reason. They don't want to shrink the scope of the world by giving the player blinding speed.
    Then why does the game let me run everywhere without penalty? If running burned fatigue, or even if it merely prevented its recovery, it'd take significantly longer to get places. And, of course, horses would gain by comparison.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

The whole "scope of the world" argument collapses as soon as you add instant fast travel to any visited location, as Skyrim has. You don't even need to travel on foot to all the major cities, because you can catch a ride on the instant-travel wagons outside each one if you have the money.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The whole "scope of the world" argument collapses as soon as you add instant fast travel to any visited location, as Skyrim has. You don't even need to travel on foot to all the major cities, because you can catch a ride on the instant-travel wagons outside each one if you have the money.
    Honestly, i think the fast travel helps. I would never consider walking from Windhelm to Markarth on foot or even on horse, it would take forever and a day to do it. Even if the distance isnt actually that long, having services like the wagons, and features like fast travel dramatically change my perception of what a long walk or a far distance is.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #157

BlackDragon

That's entirely my point? Distances in Skyrim don't feel vast because, most of the time, you can fast travel and avoid them entirely. Morrowind, which had a much smaller map, nonetheless feels like a bigger game because you often have no choice but to hoof it.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Firbolg in the Playground

Morrowind was more hoofable, I think. The dungeons were generally smaller, so, even if you saw something interesting near the road, you could be done pretty quickly and be back on track. Oblivion started the trend of having both larger dungeons and fast travel to be able to get where you wanted without it taking days to clear the dungeons.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #159
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

One thing that I think contributed to Morrowind feeling bigger was the fast travel systems... getting from Seyda Neen to Tel Vos was, even once you'd been everywhere, a matter of finding the right people or making the right teleports.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I disagree. Having the cut-away where you're you're doing the travel implicitly actually helps the world seem larger, like the map scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Just because the flight doesn't take days in real-time doesn't mean the viewer (or in this case, the player) isn't being fed the impression that the distances are vast. Whereas if you can just sprint to Rorikstead in a couple of minutes, it starts to feel very, very small.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

That's entirely my point? Distances in Skyrim don't feel vast because, most of the time, you can fast travel and avoid them entirely.
    I'm going to +1 this, which is why I usually hold off on fast traveling everywhere until late in the game when the novelty has worn off anyway.

Though as I'm apparently making my characters swim from Solstheim every time I fast travel between there and Skyrim (note that the amount of gold held doesn't go down so we're apparently not paying the guys in the boat), they may disagree.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I'm going to +1 this, which is why I usually hold off on fast traveling everywhere until late in the game when the novelty has worn off anyway.

Though as I'm apparently making my characters swim from Solstheim every time I fast travel between there and Skyrim (note that the amount of gold held doesn't go down so we're apparently not paying the guys in the boat), they may disagree.
    Lets be fair here, you could just be sticking buckets on the heads of the crew and sneaking in a corner every trip.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #163
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I wonder if the verticality of Skyrim and Oblivion contribute to its size? I mean, pretty much anywhere you go in either game, you're climbing or descending a significant rise.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #164

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I wonder if the verticality of Skyrim and Oblivion contribute to its size? I mean, pretty much anywhere you go in either game, you're climbing or descending a significant rise.
    I dunno, there are some pretty significant plains to the west and north of Whiterun.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Played Skyrim a lot, have Morrowind and Oblivion. Any suggestions on which to tackle first, given that I want to avoid build guides and such (I'm fine with checking mechanics stuff for 'hey, this uses really obscure stuff' or trap options).

Also, any "before you start" tips for whichever game you recommend?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Oblivion is less a culture shock after playing Skyrim, but Morrowind is the better game and has the oldest mechanics.

17. - Top - End - #167

Oblivion is much more mechanically similar, but I think its story, quests and world are much less interesting. For MOrrowind, really, extensive modding is strongly recommended.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #168

The obvious tip with Morrowind is how its combat works. When you swing your weapon, you have a chance to hit or not to hit. This means that your sword will often traverse your enemy harmlessly. There is no dodge or miss animation, although you get feedback when you hit (blood, an animation, the sound). The higher your stats and skill, the better chance you have to hit. So, if you miss a lot, it's not because of a freakishly small hitbox and you don't have to aim better, just train your character. Spells don't have this problem (they just fail instead of missing).

I don't think it needs that much modding, but it could be worth looking for hi-res packs. In particular, I remember being unhappy with Better Heads because Morrowind characters are very well designed, and the modded heads had nothing to do with their design. But there are some cute mods out there, like one that changes the lighting effects on enchanted items to match their enchantment. You could look also look into mods that improve stability and the official plugins, which are free (not the expansions).
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If were talking morrowing mods, i highly, HIGHLY recommend a magicka regeneration mod. Its possible to play the game without it, but it slows it down by an ungodly amount, especially if youre playing a mage.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Played Skyrim a lot, have Morrowind and Oblivion. Any suggestions on which to tackle first, given that I want to avoid build guides and such (I'm fine with checking mechanics stuff for 'hey, this uses really obscure stuff' or trap options).

Also, any "before you start" tips for whichever game you recommend?
    If you go with Oblivion, and intend to do the main quest, do it sooner rather than later - either that or avoid leveling up. The NPCs you have to keep alive at points get REALLY squishy otherwise.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

OB's levelling system is a joke. That's one point where I'd recommend a mod from day one.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Bugbear in the Playground

Another note about Morrowind combat: Weapons have a damage range, but the damage you do is not randomly rolled within that range; rather, the damage range determines your base attack damage dependent on the length of time you held down the attack button (L mouse, normally) before releasing it to make the attack.

Spell and enchantment damage, however, is randomly rolled in the range listed in the spell or enchantment's description.

If were talking morrowing mods, i highly, HIGHLY recommend a magicka regeneration mod. Its possible to play the game without it, but it slows it down by an ungodly amount, especially if youre playing a mage.
    Or you could use some of the gold that you'll most likely be accumulating in large quantities to buy Restore or Fortify Magicka potions, the ingredients to make your own (Comberry, Daedra Heart, Frost Salts, and Void Salts, plus Adamantine Ore with Tribunal and Belladona Berries and Heartwood with Bloodmoon, for Restore Magicka; Emerald, Saltrice, and Stoneflower Petals, plus Belladona Berries with Bloodmoon, for Fortify Magicka), or scrolls for the same or for Absorb Magicka (Scrolls of Restoration or the Argent Glow for Restore Magicka, Mageweal for Fortify Magicka, and Manarape for Absorb Magicka); it's not like money is that much of an issue except early on.
    - Nalcarya of White Haven in Balmora has a restocking Exclusive Restore Magicka potion and restocking supplies of Daedra Hearts, Frost Salts, and Void Salts.
    - A couple of the guys in the Ald'ruhn Temple have restocking Cheap Restore Magicka potions while Cienne Sintieve has restocking Frost and Void Salts.
    - Eris Telas at the High Fane in Vivec has restocking Bargain and Cheap Restore Magicka potions while Craetia Jullalian at the Vivec Mages' Guild has restocking Daedra Hearts and Frost Salts. Janand Maulinie at the Vivec Mages' Guild has restocking Scrolls of Mageweal; Miun-Gei in the Foreign Quarter Waistworks has restocking Scrolls of Restoration.
    - Nebia Amphia at the Hawkmoth Garrison in Ebonheart has restocking Cheap Restore Magicka potions.
    - Chaplain Orgrul at Fort Darius has restocking Saltrice and Mehra Drora at the Gnisis Temple has restocking Stoneflower Petals.
    - Anis Seloth in Sadrith Mora has restocking Exclusive Restore Magicka potions as well as restocking supplies of Daedra Hearts and Frost Salts.
    - Andil at Tel Vos sells Stoneflower Petals while Eldrilu Dalen at the Vos Temple sells Saltrice. At Tel Mora, Daynali Dren restocks Exclusive Restore Magicka potions and Frost Salts while Jolda has restocking Void Salts.
    - Gils Drelas at Tel Branora has restocking Daedra Hearts, Frost Salts, and Void Salts.
    - Maren Uvaren at Tel Aruhn has restocking Scrolls of Manarape.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2020-06-26 at 11:14 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Yes. Bethesda uses hills, mountains and rivers to stop players from going in a straight line everywhere (well as much as they can stop you, anyway).
    This is probably part of the reason why levitation was not included in either Skyrim or Oblivion, using it in Morrowind makes painfully clear how close everything is to everything else.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #174

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    This is probably part of the reason why levitation was not included in either Skyrim or Oblivion, using it in Morrowind makes painfully clear how close everything is to everything else.
    Using the long-duration levitation you get from the shrine in Vivec, it still took me something like 12 in-game hours to fly all the way from Vivec up to whatever the town on the north side of the island is (I forget the name). Of course, I had to fly right over Red Mountain to do that, but still, Morrowind is not quite as tiny as all that.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Using the long-duration levitation you get from the shrine in Vivec, it still took me something like 12 in-game hours to fly all the way from Vivec up to whatever the town on the north side of the island is (I forget the name). Of course, I had to fly right over Red Mountain to do that, but still, Morrowind is not quite as tiny as all that.
    Isn't 12 in-game hours only 24 out of game minutes?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Isn't 12 in-game hours only 24 out of game minutes?
    Yes, presuming you haven't changed the timescale using the console.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Even using a Windwalker scroll (Levitate 500), it still took me over five full minutes to fly from Tel Fyr in the east to Hla Oad in the west.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I disagree strongly with this. Managing your magicka, and health (which is interchangeable with it), is a huge part of the challenge of Morrowind. Take that away, and I don't think it would have held my interest nearly as long.

As Aeson says, there are plenty of in game ways to top up your magicka. It takes a little while to learn how to use them, but once you do, there's no reason to run out ever again.

One of the great things about Morrowind is carrying your own alchemy lab about with you, and making up whatever potions you need in the field. You can also do enchanting the same way, though you'll get through a lot of soul gems.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yes. Bethesda uses hills, mountains and rivers to stop players from going in a straight line everywhere (well as much as they can stop you, anyway).
    I suspect Levitation got nixed for technical reasons. Oblivion's cities are all separate loading zones, so flying in over the walls isn't possible from a technical standpoint.

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    I suspect Levitation got nixed for technical reasons. Oblivion's cities are all separate loading zones, so flying in over the walls isn't possible from a technical standpoint.
    Mournhold also didn't allow for teleportation. I suspect it's just too gamebreaking, if you want to base your dungeons around certain principles.

EDIT: I think you also couldn't leave Mournhold, so flying away had to be disallowed, which fits your explanation.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-06-26 at 07:21 PM.