New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XVI: Sworn to Carry Your Burdens

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    I suspect Levitation got nixed for technical reasons. Oblivion's cities are all separate loading zones, so flying in over the walls isn't possible from a technical standpoint.
    That was my understanding as well--they got rid of those spells so you couldn't just fly over the walls of the Imperial City and find the interior completely empty, because the interior is a separate load zone to the exterior.

2. - Top - End - #182

Yeah, that's the reason I gave.

By the way, long before thinking about gameplay changes like magicka regeneration, I'd get better UI and high def dialogue fonts for MOrrowind. Maybe I'm just old, but it makes the game massively more playab.e
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #183
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I always suggest a mod to reduce Cliff Racer aggressiveness.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I think its worth doing one playthrough with it just to understand why such a mod is absolutely, totally necessary.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #185

BlackDragon

There were mods that made it so only infected Cliff Racers would attack you, which seemed reasonable to me--after all, if they're not going to attack you at all they might as well not be there, but having only infected ones go after you makes them considerably less annoying.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

Other Morrowind notes;

You have so many equipment slots. Some of them won't stack, but the maximum compatible set at once is;
    Helmet, Shoulders (Left, Right), Chest (Armour), Shirt, Gauntlet (Left, Right), Pants, Greaves (Armour), Skirt, Robes, Ring (x2), Amulet, Boots (Armour)
    For a total of 15 slots, plus weapon and/or shield. They can all be enchanted. Take advantage of this when you can.

Arrows have weight.

You'll need repair hammers or to visit repair-enabled NPCs to keep your gear from breaking down. Carry a spare weapon.

Mark/Recall, and the two Intervention spells are going to be your best friend for cutting travel times when you're leaving a dungeon. [item] of Levitation makes a lot of exploring easier.

Enchantments are ; On Use, On Hit, Constant. On Use ones are essentially just spells with their own mana bar. The other two are the ones you see in Skyrim.

There's only one set of Daedric armour spread across the entire map (and expansions). Unless you 1v1 Divayth Fyr, who has his own set sans helmet.

Any merchant will buy stolen things from you. Do not sell them their own things that you just stole.

Guards are monsters (early on, but still a problem) who will chase you forever, excepting if they get stuck on something, or you move out of their AI range fast enough.

Remember that Acrobatics effects not only jump height but fall damage as well. Apropos of nothing.

The controls aren't as bad as Daggerfall's, but you're still probably going to be much happier if you rebind them to a more familiar layout.

Having a source of Restore Strength is a necessity if you're going dungeon crawling.

And finally, you're not welcome here, n'wah! [taunt][taunt][taunt][taunt] Now you die!
    [End Conversation]*

*This is both a joke, and a relevant set of actions in some situations.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh, right... there's a few bugs, you can check the Unofficial Morrowind patch.

One of the more glorious is that Unarmored simply doesn't work if you aren't wearing at least one piece of armour.

EDIT: a basic difference from Skyrim is the absence of skill trees. Oblivion simply has things you can do when you reach 25, 50, 75, and 100 in a skill. Morrowind has mere skill progression. Both Morrowind and Oblivion have 8 attributes (mainly D&D's + luck and speed), you increase them as you gain levels and interact with skills.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-06-27 at 03:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Esquire View Post
    There's only one set of Daedric armour spread across the entire map (and expansions). Unless you 1v1 Divayth Fyr, who has his own set sans helmet.
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with Daedric armor in Morrowind; Ebony isn't that much worse overall while being a lot lighter and a lot more common, armor artifacts offer at least as much protective value for little more (and often much less) weight and usually carry useful enchantments which are difficult or impossible to recreate, and pretty much any other armor is going to be so much lighter than Daedric/Ebony that you could pretty easily be looking at doubling or tripling your effective carry capacity by using it instead of either - Dwarven/Dwemer and Steel armor might be a lot worse in protective quality and Bloodmoon's Nordic armor might be more fragile, but for a full set they're also almost literally half the weight of Ebony or a third the weight of Daedric, and dropping down to Medium/Light armor will save you even more weight while potentially also gaining you access to armors more on par with Ebony without requiring a trip to Solstheim.

As to the discussion about mods for Morrowind, the only thing that I think I could really call 'essential' is something to make Sneak toggle - but if you're not going to be sneaking around much or at all then you don't really need that, either.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2020-06-27 at 05:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Did start up Morrowind, general build is a Paladin-inspired sword and board with some restoration and alteration in my pocket.

....Man, the game really does not telegraph "Hey, F1 will let you set hotkeys for items!"

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Oblivion simply has things you can do when you reach 25, 50, 75, and 100 in a skill. Morrowind has mere skill progression.
    For skills other than magic, sure. For magic, though? Oblivion's level 25/50/75/100 perks are "you may now cast more powerful spells;" Morrowind's spellcasting success chance is essentially just a softer form of that. Also, most of the Alchemy milestones present in Oblivion are also in Morrowind, they're just found at different levels and aren't explicitly called out when you reach the appropriate level, presumably because if you've been using the skill you'd notice that it happened without having to be told about it - in Morrowind, you need 15/30/45/60 ranks in Alchemy to see (but not to use)1 the first/second/third/fourth effects of ingredients, while in Oblivion seeing (and being able to use)2 the second/third/fourth effects of ingredients are the level 25/50/75 perks.

1 Assuming you can identify the effect in the potion, you can use this to identify effects on ingredients.
    2 Ironically, this means that low-level alchemy is circumstantially better than high-level alchemy, as if you have two ingredients which share both a desired and an undesired effect then depending on the order in which the effects appear on the ingredient a low-level alchemist may be able to create potions which only have the desired effect while a higher-level alchemist will create potions that have both the desired and the undesired effect. For instance, Daedra Heart and Ham can be combined to create Restore Health potions as long as your Alchemy skill is at least 25, but if your Alchemy skill is at least 50 then Restore Health potions created with these ingredients will also have a Damage Magicka effect.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2020-06-27 at 05:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Esquire View Post
    Any merchant will buy stolen things from you. Do not sell them their own things that you just stole.
    Slight note on this one
    Not only can you not sell an item you stole back to the merchant you stole it from, but you cannot sell any identical item to that merchant forever. Steal an apple from a merchant? Every apple you try to sell to them in the future will be considered stolen. You may have eaten that stolen apple forever ago, but the game does not make a difference between generic items ID.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Nah, that's my source of free Levitation potion ingredients. Why would I want to get rid of that?

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Played Skyrim a lot, have Morrowind and Oblivion. Any suggestions on which to tackle first, given that I want to avoid build guides and such (I'm fine with checking mechanics stuff for 'hey, this uses really obscure stuff' or trap options).

Also, any "before you start" tips for whichever game you recommend?
    I'd recommend starting with Oblivion, since it's more forgiving to someone used to Skyrim's mechanics. But, you've said you've already started on Morrowind, so....

For some reason, Morrowind's official plugins aren't included in digital releases anymore. Unless you bought the game from GOG.com, in which case they're installed but disabled by default.

You definitely want to install the Morrowind Code Patch. Morrowind's a buggy game.

Morrowind can't be played in widescreen natively, so you'll want to install a graphics mod to fix that.

For when you inevitably get stuck in a rock or something, the console command to fix you is - appropriately enough - "fixme". It'll teleport you a few yards away, but if you want to fully ignore collision, the command for that is "tcl".

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I'd suggest using OpenMW if you're going to be playing unmodded. It's a better build of the base game after all these years.

Also, don't limit your MW saves to just one save slot! Keep a variety of them and switch to a new save slot every few hours or so - save file corruption can be a thing in vanilla, unfortunately.

14. - Top - End - #194

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Slight note on this one
    Not only can you not sell an item you stole back to the merchant you stole it from, but you cannot sell any identical item to that merchant forever. Steal an apple from a merchant? Every apple you try to sell to them in the future will be considered stolen. You may have eaten that stolen apple forever ago, but the game does not make a difference between generic items ID.
    I may be wrong, but I think that only applies to other stolen items. e.g. if yout stole an apple from some other merchant and tried to sell it to the first one, they'd say it was their stolen item; if you found a legit apple you'd be able to sell it to them no problem.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Also, don't limit your MW saves to just one save slot! Keep a variety of them and switch to a new save slot every few hours or so - save file corruption can be a thing in vanilla, unfortunately.
    TBH that’s a thing you should do for ANY Elder Scrolls game, not just Morrowind.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    TBH that’s a thing you should do for ANY Elder Scrolls game, not just Morrowind.
    Heck, a thing you should do with any game, period. Save early, save often, make backups.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #197
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    Nah, that's my source of free Levitation potion ingredients. Why would I want to get rid of that?
    That's why I reduce their aggressiveness, not get rid of them. I can still kill them, they just don't harass me.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think that only applies to other stolen items. e.g. if yout stole an apple from some other merchant and tried to sell it to the first one, they'd say it was their stolen item; if you found a legit apple you'd be able to sell it to them no problem.
    For Morrowind, you'd be wrong.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that didn't become a thing until Oblivion.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

20. - Top - End - #200

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Did start up Morrowind, general build is a Paladin-inspired sword and board with some restoration and alteration in my pocket.

....Man, the game really does not telegraph "Hey, F1 will let you set hotkeys for items!"
    No, it's really still from that point in time where games came with manuals that contained half hte tutorial.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

The extent of Morrowind's tutorial is "You're on your own now" XD

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    The extent of Morrowind's tutorial is "You're on your own now" XD
    Because your progression through the Census and Excise office during your release very definitely isn't a tutorial.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Firbolg in the Playground

I prefer Morrowind's approach to Oblivion's hours-long tutorial, because it's something you are forced to do every time you start a new game.

But yea, definitely download the manual and give it a read.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I prefer Morrowind's approach to Oblivion's hours-long tutorial, because it's something you are forced to do every time you start a new game.
    Not if you just save at the end of it. I like that system a lot better, honestly.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think we can agree both games do it better than Skyrim at least, with the long unskippable "cutscene" type intro.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Hours long tutorial for Oblivion? Are you training sneak the whole time?
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

27. - Top - End - #207

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I think we can agree both games do it better than Skyrim at least, with the long unskippable "cutscene" type intro.
    Which, somehow, despite the awesome scenery they included in the game, has you going down a narrow forested path with no view whatsoever--always felt that was an odd decision, like they felt they *had* to have the "go through an enclosed dungeon and only show the scenery after we're done tutorialising" thing that happened in Oblivion and Daggerfall (and, to a lesser extent, Morrowind).

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Hours long tutorial for Oblivion? Are you training sneak the whole time?
    I pretty much consider the entire sewer level after the emperor is killed as a tutorial. Up until the first time you emerge on the world map and can make your own choices.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I quite enjoy that. It's nice, when starting a new game, to be able to sit back and just watch for a few minutes. Admittedly the "Your hands are bound" thing outlives its welcome, but only for about two minutes.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I quite enjoy that. It's nice, when starting a new game, to be able to sit back and just watch for a few minutes. Admittedly the "Your hands are bound" thing outlives its welcome, but only for about two minutes.
    The issue isn't with starting a new game, it's when you start all the other games that come after that. That's why I consider Alternate Start - Live Another Life to be an essential mod for anybody looking to mod Skyrim.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2020-06-29 at 03:31 AM.