New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XVI: Sworn to Carry Your Burdens

And it's even more essential for Oblivion. Starting in any city you want with some basic equipment instead of doing that sewer dungeon every time is great.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

I mean... technically it's all tutorial in Oblivion, but it's half an hour at most. Unless I'm way better at Oblivion than I remember.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    And it's even more essential for Oblivion. Starting in any city you want with some basic equipment instead of doing that sewer dungeon every time is great.
    Or, again, you just make a save at the end of the sewer and then fast travel to whatever city you want to start in. Oblivion gives you that option, so the utility of an ASLAL equivalent is limited. It's an actual NECESSITY for Skyrim if you want to skip the tutorial; there's no way to do it otherwise.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Or, again, you just make a save at the end of the sewer and then fast travel to whatever city you want to start in. Oblivion gives you that option, so the utility of an ASLAL equivalent is limited. It's an actual NECESSITY for Skyrim if you want to skip the tutorial; there's no way to do it otherwise.
    As I recall, Oblivion even auto saves just before you exit the sewer, and gives you the option to rewrite your character completely when you do. So basically there's no reason for anyone to do the tutorial more than once unless they want to.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    As I recall, Oblivion even auto saves just before you exit the sewer, and gives you the option to rewrite your character completely when you do. So basically there's no reason for anyone to do the tutorial more than once unless they want to.
    Or they reinstalled it and don't have the saves available.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Or they reinstalled it and don't have the saves available.
    Uninstalling the game doesn't typically delete your saves unless you go out of your way to do so, at least if it's a Steam install.

7. - Top - End - #217

Different computer?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

There might also be mod incompatibilities, say with a levelling system or large overhaul.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

If doing the sewer tutorial is an issue because you're constantly changing computers, maybe the sewer tutorial isn't the issue here.

10. - Top - End - #220

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    If doing the sewer tutorial is an issue because you're constantly changing computers, maybe the sewer tutorial isn't the issue here.
    Playing on more than one machine over 14 years? Madness, madness I say!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Playing on more than one machine over 14 years? Madness, madness I say!
    In the past 14 years, I've had two or three different computers. I've done the tutorial sewers more often just for fun.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

At least by default, Oblivion only has a single autosave, and you'll almost certainly overwrite it before you're ready for a new character unless you're looking to create a new character pretty much as soon as you've left the Imperial Prison Sewer. If you want to be able to skip the tutorial segment, you have to retain a manual save just before leaving the sewer.

Also, I would point out that the lighting at the sewer exit is bad, so it's not a great spot to change your character's appearance if you care about that sort of thing, and I also don't see any particular reason to expect someone to have old saves lying around if they'd previously uninstalled the game or are installing it on a new computer or something like that. There's also that having a lot of save files clutters the Load Game list, so if you're done with a character or have some saves that you're not going back to then you may as well delete or overwrite them, and if you're deleting or overwriting saves then there's always the possibility that you will delete or overwrite the wrong one. Additionally, your character will most likely have developed some skills during the tutorial; exactly what skills those are may be relevant to you, especially if you're going for 'perfect' levels.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    At least by default, Oblivion only has a single autosave, and you'll almost certainly overwrite it before you're ready for a new character unless you're looking to create a new character pretty much as soon as you've left the Imperial Prison Sewer. If you want to be able to skip the tutorial segment, you have to retain a manual save just before leaving the sewer.
    The autosave at the end of the sewer is an actual save file, not the usual autosave when you change zones or sleep.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    The autosave at the end of the sewer is an actual save file, not the usual autosave when you change zones or sleep.
    Having literally just checked this in a fresh and completely unmodded install of Oblivion, I can assure you that this is untrue. Moreover, the only automatically-generated save file available for that test character immediately after exiting the sewers loads outside of the sewer exit, looking across Lake Rumare towards Vilverin - i.e. even if I immediately decided to change the character after exiting the sewer, I'd have to go back through the tutorial if I did not create a manual save prior to exiting the sewers, because the only available autosave is already beyond the point where I can change the character's race, class, and birthsign.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Having literally just checked this in a fresh and completely unmodded install of Oblivion, I can assure you that this is untrue. Moreover, the only automatically-generated save file available for that test character immediately after exiting the sewers loads outside of the sewer exit, looking across Lake Rumare towards Vilverin - i.e. even if I immediately decided to change the character after exiting the sewer, I'd have to go back through the tutorial if I did not create a manual save prior to exiting the sewers, because the only available autosave is already beyond the point where I can change the character's race, class, and birthsign.
    You are right. This is my mistake, I'm so used to manually putting a save before the sewer exit that I mistook the game's save point as my own. I apologize.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Banned

I quite enjoy that. It's nice, when starting a new game, to be able to sit back and just watch for a few minutes. Admittedly the "Your hands are bound" thing outlives its welcome, but only for about two minutes.
    Man, I couldn't disagree with this more. I've straight up avoided starting new games in Skyrim just because I can't be bothered to sit through the tutorial, or install a mod to avoid it.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Man, I couldn't disagree with this more. I've straight up avoided starting new games in Skyrim just because I can't be bothered to sit through the tutorial, or install a mod to avoid it.
    Morrowind and Oblivion's initial period of unarmed uselessness was at least short.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

You can rush through that bit of Skyrim in about a minute and a half if you really want to.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    You can rush through that bit of Skyrim in about a minute and a half if you really want to.
    After a couple of unskippable cutscenes and forced dialogue, absolutely.

It's not the absolute length that's the issue, it's how slow paced and tedious it is.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Banned

The cart ride alone is 5 minutes, followed by another few minutes of the guards talking and the dragon arriving. It's a 10 minute investment at best. Which seems minor, but 10 minutes of tedium is a pretty big deterrent from starting a new game.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    The cart ride alone is 5 minutes, followed by another few minutes of the guards talking and the dragon arriving. It's a 10 minute investment at best. Which seems minor, but 10 minutes of tedium is a pretty big deterrent from starting a new game.
    Not to sound too much like "Get off my lawn, you darn kids" but when I was a lad we used to game on home computers, and in order to get said games started we had to load them in from cassette, a process that would typically take between five and ten minutes. When I got my first Amiga, with a floppy drive that could load games in as little as 30 seconds, it was a darned revelation!

TBH, you can skip the cart ride just by starting the game and then going to make a cup of coffee or going to the lavvy. You then have character creation, which can take anywhere between a couple of minutes and several hours depending how much fiddling you do, before you have the second unskippable scene before the dragon attacks. I've certainly had much worse starts to a game than that--Japanese RPGs in particular seem to enjoy giving you massive chunks of story setup at the start and then adding the gameplay in later. (I'm just playing Persona 4 Golden, where the first couple of hours gave you nothing to do other than occasionally click a dialogue option to move the story on!).

22. - Top - End - #232
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XVI: Sworn to Larry the Verdan

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    TBH, you can skip the cart ride just by starting the game and then going to make a cup of coffee or going to the lavvy.
    Yes, you can, but you shouldn't have to. The best way to enjoy a new game shouldn't be to go do something else entirely for the first few minutes.

A long wait time because of technological constraints is justifiable, but a long wait time because of a tedious cutscene that we don't want to see is just poor design.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

I have a save right at the character creation scene. That skips the cart ride any time I want to play a new game.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Not to sound too much like "Get off my lawn, you darn kids" but when I was a lad we used to game on home computers, and in order to get said games started we had to load them in from cassette, a process that would typically take between five and ten minutes. When I got my first Amiga, with a floppy drive that could load games in as little as 30 seconds, it was a darned revelation!
    That's different, though. This is a technical limitation built into the hardware. There's nothing that could have been done about it.

Skyrim's tutorial segment is a deliberate developer choice that could have been different.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    Yes, you can, but you shouldn't have to. The best way to enjoy a new game shouldn't be to go do something else entirely for the first few minutes.

A long wait time because of technological constraints is justifiable, but a long wait time because of a tedious cutscene that we don't want to see is just poor design.
    It's poor design from the perspective of a person replaying the game.

This mistake you're making is thinking Bethesda cares about that.

Most players don't return to large AAA games repeatedly. Most people who played Skyrim did so once, and most of them didn't finish the main quest. Article about game completion rates here

That's why these games have these elaborate set pieces at the start. They badly want to get you invested in the game, because that means you'll play through more of it and are likely to buy more games from them in the future. They don't care so much whether you finish the game, because most people don't. One of the results I got while searching indicated that Skyrim has around a 40% completion rate - and that's HIGH.

Would it be better design to stick a "skip opening sequence" button in your game? Sure. I don't think you can call it bad design either. They're weighting development resources towards what most players will experience, and they don't want players skipping the giant setpiece + tutorial segment that makes up a big chunk of the budget for the main story.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Those numbers don't really mean much for Skyrim. I have around 1000 hours in the game and haven't once finished the main quest. I doubt I'm alone in that.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Skyrim being a fantastic blast of a game has absolutely nothing to do with it's main story.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It's poor design from the perspective of a person replaying the game.

This mistake you're making is thinking Bethesda cares about that.

Most players don't return to large AAA games repeatedly. Most people who played Skyrim did so once, and most of them didn't finish the main quest. Article about game completion rates here

That's why these games have these elaborate set pieces at the start. They badly want to get you invested in the game, because that means you'll play through more of it and are likely to buy more games from them in the future. They don't care so much whether you finish the game, because most people don't. One of the results I got while searching indicated that Skyrim has around a 40% completion rate - and that's HIGH.

Would it be better design to stick a "skip opening sequence" button in your game? Sure. I don't think you can call it bad design either. They're weighting development resources towards what most players will experience, and they don't want players skipping the giant setpiece + tutorial segment that makes up a big chunk of the budget for the main story.
    Considering that they've released the game like 7 times now I don't buy the argument that they don't expect repeat customers.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Skyrim being a fantastic blast of a game has absolutely nothing to do with it's main story.
    Indeed, all the best things done with it are exploits, mods, and exploiting mods. skyrim is something you make your own game out of with the endless ways you can deviate from baseline.

the only reason I'm not playing it now is because the downside is its so buggy especially with the number of mods I have, I can't be sure if will cooperate to actually allow me to do anything or just kick me back to desktop.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Special Edition seems to be more stable at least.

That said, I wouldn't call exploits fun personally. After a bit, I ask myself why don't I just TGM. Mods on the other hand really do liven the game up.