New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Question Good article on how low magic games break 3.xe? How the setting demands high magic?

Where can I find a good online article about how and in what way 3e, 3.5e, and PF1 require high magic (edit: I mean all supernatural abilities that resemble spells even slightly) settings and high magic items settings to function and break down horribly in low magic games, and how and in what ways the games can't remotely handle low magic (in enemies, npc classes, wealth, player classes, item availability, etc. etc.) in any way? And how trying to run a gritty low magic game in 3e, 3.5e, pf1, 3.pf, etc is doomed to cause problems? And where the books are specifically set up to assume the setting is extremely high magic, and why the DMG was written in such a way?

I'd be fine with an epic rant rather than a full on polished article, as long as it touches all the bases. Thanks!
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2020-04-26 at 08:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Good article on how low magic games break 3.xe? How the setting demands high magi

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

3. - Top - End - #3

Kobold

Default Re: Good article on how low magic games break 3.xe? How the setting demands high magi

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post

That's not at all what I meant. I meant something you send the clueless gm that wants to run a gritty low magic game with no wealth or magic items or scrolls or caster classes other than the pc's, who have their classes restricted, in 3.Xe to tell him why Everyone Is Going To Have A Bad Time. If I sent that to him, he'd say, "That's all overpowered ****." and ignore me. I want to have a good, well-reasoned, well-researched argument that points to a large amount of base assumptions made in the game.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2020-04-26 at 07:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Probably the single biggest factor pushing 3e towards high magic is all the various conditions that need restoring. You can recover from HP and ability damage eventually on your own, but conditions like ability drain, level loss, petrifaction, or death all require specialized spells to remove. And that means a Cleric-equivalent, or readily available enough magic to replace one.

The better argument for magic items is to look at specific use cases. Compare 10th level Fighter with no magic gear to a CR 10 Dragon. Or even a CR 6 Dragon.

Of course, you can make something like this work. Capping advancement fairly early, carefully curating monster selection, and relying on groups of monsters make it possible to have reasonable low-magic games. But it takes effort, and D&D is not especially well-suited to delivering.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

I am am assuming the usually taboo psionics are banned as well, if not just take one of those who runs a store in between sessions, maybe a level lower , but gear out the whoo-hahhh.

But barring this, it's sorta right there in the name. Inherently magical creatures.

Dragons, fantasy, magic items and all that jazz. He wants to run low magic? Switch games, a friend once ran a early 1900's call of cuthulu where I played a bartender. Interesting enough, but never, nor would I ever really play such a game again, as it's basically designed so you can never win. Even Ravenloft in DnD people have escaped from.

No point in playing a game you can't win at or is no fun.

The GP limit per character level is a knife that should cut both ways. Thats what I think anyway.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NigelWalmsley View Post
    Probably the single biggest factor pushing 3e towards high magic is all the various conditions that need restoring. You can recover from HP and ability damage eventually on your own, but conditions like ability drain, level loss, petrifaction, or death all require specialized spells to remove. And that means a Cleric-equivalent, or readily available enough magic to replace one.
    Mostly this. Some monsters that pose little threat and have some debuffing abilities (say, an Allip, Chaos Beast, Cockatrice, Ghosts, Gorgon, etc) that are otherwise only harmful in the short term, become terrifying monsters that inflict permanent disabilities. Maybe that's what the DM wants, but in that case, I wouldn't advise putting too much effort into your characters - all it takes is one unfortunate roll and they're a goner, either literally, or disabled such that they can't safely adventure anymore.

Endaire has a good shout, just not elaborated - as you get stronger, monster abilities get increasingly OP, and players can't counter those reasonably without magic items. The bigger threats are outlined in the threat, or:
    -Magic items for flight are needed because flying creatures 20' up from any melee fighter is effectively invulnerable from harm unless they packed backup thrown weapons (and even then, thrown weapons likely aren't the fighter's specialty, and they're dealing comparatively less damage)
    -Magic items that prevent death effects/energy drain are needed for the reasons Nigel points out above - if not treated, they're permanent,
    -Magic Weapons are needed because without them, anything incorporeal is impervious to attack.
    -Initiative-boosting items are needed, because otherwise DEX-based monsters win initiative and one of your party members is dead before you can do anything about it.
    -Special senses are needed for the same reason as above - an invisible monster will likely win vs anything that can't detect it.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry to barge in the discussion, but what, exactly, is "high magic" and "low magic"?
    Where is the dividing line?
    Also, is there some "medium magic"?

"Low magic" should cut both ways - most of those conditions shouldn't exist in a low-magic setting in the first place: how you going to get - for example - a negative level in, say, Westeros?
    The exception there is death, but с'est la vie - you dead, roll a new character (E6 stays popular despite the lack of resurrection)
    In the Midnight Campaign Setting, the only way for a PC to restore dead character is Reincarnate, or creation of Undead

8. - Top - End - #8

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Sorry to barge in the discussion, but what, exactly, is "high magic" and "low magic"?
    Where is the dividing line?
    Also, is there some "medium magic"?

"Low magic" should cut both ways - most of those conditions shouldn't exist in a low-magic setting in the first place: how you going to get - for example - a negative level in, say, Westeros?
    The exception there is death, but с'est la vie - you dead, roll a new character (E6 stays popular despite the lack of resurrection)
    In the Midnight Campaign Setting, the only way for a PC to restore dead character is Reincarnate, or creation of Undead

Traditionally? To this kind of newbie GM? Low Magic is "play any character class in the PHB, except Monks, they're OP, and you don't ever get any wealth or magic items ever, and can never buy scrolls or get spellcasting services or minions or anything, and all the monsters remain the same".

Now, we all know that is a terrible idea, and based on several factually incorrect assumptions. What I am looking for is detailed, cited elaborations on why and how and in what ways. Oh, about 50% of the time they might notice Druid is OP and ban them too.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2020-04-26 at 08:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well for starters the DMG says items are available in a town whose gp limit they fall under. So even the hamlet of no name with gp limit 100 has 1st level potions. Maybe not many but some.

I would advise against it with 3.5 unless all your group is aware of how much magic is needed and you trust your DM a lot. Anything that's flies/burrows/swims, teleports, ambushes, is invisible, is incorporol, or has
    poison/disease/curses/energy drain/ability drain/ability damage or elemental damage becomes near insurmountable. Not to mention improved grab with numbers easily high enough to just nope your chances of ever escaping. There is more but that's a short list. It is doable but takes a ton of effort, especially on the dms part.

Rant
    Spoiler
    Show

Played too many games where even getting a +1 weapon was near impossible and DM put tons of stuff we could not interact with combatively in front of us. This usually comes with limiting classes to mundane or houseruling away most effects that do not fall in line with DMs assumptions, and creatively bypassing stuff is rule zeroed away. Even stuff as simple as dispel magicing a magic trap will be shut down. Not being able to use abilities or do stuff unless you do it the DMs way is a major turn off for me.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Do you know how the other players feel about it? I only ask because I've had good fun playing things like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay where character death is much more common than in D&D. It didn't make the game unfun for me, it just made it a different sort of game (although to be fair in WFRP you get at least one fate point when you start, which allows you to avoid otherwise certain death: if you can't persuade him to change his mind, maybe suggest he use something similar in D&D).

11. - Top - End - #11

Well, sure, you can do it (as noted). But it's difficult, and the system is not particularly well suited to it. Because the game assumes you'll be able to remove those conditions, lots of creatures randomly inflict them. For example, the Balor has an at-will SLA (Insanity) that applies a condition you need 7th level spells to cure. In a normal campaign that's trivial, since you are expected to have 9th level spells when fighting one. But if you're cutting magic, players might not. It's not that you can't do it, it's that it requires a level of oversight and vigilance that is often unexpected. It's not like having a "pirate campaign" or a "ninja campaign" where you can reskin things fairly easily.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Traditionally? To this kind of newbie GM? Low Magic is "play any character class in the PHB, except Monks, they're OP, and you don't ever get any wealth or magic items ever, and can never buy scrolls or get spellcasting services or minions or anything, and all the monsters remain the same".
    Oh, well that still means you can have a cleric in a party to remove/buff stuff, right? You'll still suck in the long run vs monsters, but it won't be an impossible task. Though, given monks are OP, a good optimization shot at overcoming those hurdles may also be OP, so you may have to embrace losing a bunch if you can't convince him.

What I am looking for is detailed, cited elaborations on why and how and in what ways.
    That's setting your standards a bit high, IMO. To start, try putting together a party, get it approved by the GM, and then explain why the party can't win a fight vs an equivalent CR monster without magic items, but can win vs an equivalent CR monster with them, and I think that'd be a solid basis of an argument. Maybe try setting up multiple such situations, so the DM doesn't conclude "Oh, well <monster> must be OP".

So, say for example
    -A human vampire (CR 3) can retreat to Gaseous Form (20' perfect fly speed, DR 10/Magic) indefinitely, coming out to ambush the PCs and strike at them when they don't expect it, and is nearly invulnerable to attack. If the party cleric attempts to turn, he will only succeed on a roll of 16-20 (and thus it's not a reliable option). Unless the party wizard can deal 12 damage in one round, or 17 damage in two rounds (because Fast Healing 5), he cannot kill the vampire either.
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2020-04-26 at 09:12 PM.
    Show

Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

13. - Top - End - #13

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    That's setting your standards a bit high, IMO. To start, try putting together a party, get it approved by the GM, and then explain why the party can't win a fight vs an equivalent CR monster without magic items, but can win vs an equivalent CR monster with them, and I think that'd be a solid basis of an argument. Maybe try setting up multiple such situations, so the DM doesn't conclude "Oh, well <monster> must be OP".
    It seems odd that no one ever made such an article, though? I really expected such a thing to exist, because s***** DM's that like 3.Xe do this sort of thing all the time. Most of us who have been doing it for a while have seen it several times...
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2020-04-26 at 08:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Hmmm, tempting to run a wizard crafter, why you ask? TO CHANGE THE WORLD!

With the xp bonuses from being a level lower, you won't fall THAT far behind the party, the party will rely on you for their magic items, so they will help carry you at low level. Since no-one else has magical items, you can sell yours for a pretty penny more than listed while still producing at cost (rich people have money to burn and LOVE the rare things, universal fact). When affluent enough make sure your character gives some items away(explained later) to new adventurers. When you get wish, cast for a whole bunch of scrolls of spells you are missing.

Hehehe....

The world's rich and powerful will be at your back and call, party now has magic items, but focus on your own item mostly.

The reason why you occasionally ever give away new items to new adventurers?

So if the DM runs this campaign world again and you need to make a new character, you have an excuse to give you them some, maybe even become a reseller to overcome the lack of gold so you have an excuse to buy more.

What can I say, I do good business. Be the gun boat.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Part of that is because of just how many variables there are to go into it.

Like, for instance, a goblin tribe that's short on the numbers is by the rules a CR 12 challenge and probably has to be high up on those numbers to be a 13. However, I'm not sure there's any magic level where that's actually going to be the right kind of difficult for the numbers around it.

16. - Top - End - #16

It seems odd that no one ever made such an article, though? I really expected such a thing to exist, because s***** DM's that like 3.Xe do this sort of thing all the time. Most of us who have been doing it for a while have seen it several times...
    You could always write it yourself. If you're disappointed that it doesn't exist, that seems like a terrible reason to allow it to continue not existing.

Quote Originally Posted by RSGA View Post
    Like, for instance, a goblin tribe that's short on the numbers is by the rules a CR 12 challenge and probably has to be high up on those numbers to be a 13. However, I'm not sure there's any magic level where that's actually going to be the right kind of difficult for the numbers around it.
    Actually, no. CR (EL, technically) doesn't scale like that. The goblin tribe is off into "DM judgement call" territory, which is typically interpreted as "the PCs should expect to beat it without worries".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx
    What I am looking for is detailed, cited elaborations on why and how and in what ways.
    If this is for a specific person—and it sounds like it from your tone—do you really expect a detailed analysis will change this person’s mind?

And what would this analysis be citing, anyway?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have played with that style of dm before its not worth it. Unless you all play warlocks or DFAs and then blast everything you see from as far away as possible. Those are at will abilities that are magical so off the table presumably.

So its: No wealth. There is no treasure to be found.
    No magic mart: Your only source of magic is likely(random) loot that you can never sell. If the DM even let's that go.
    No crafting allowed by the party(I am assuming), with maybe an exception made for party wizard and scribe scroll.
    No other casters in the entire multiverse (but monsters) who you cannot in any way be it diplomacy, calling, domination, or bargaining to aid and get ANY spellcasting services.
    All "cheese" aka persistomancy, minionmancy, or optimization above DMG/PHB pre made npcs.
    Core (PHB) only? Seems in line with the rest of things.

That sound about right?

If so I have played with a similar DM. Don't. It's not worth it.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

This is the biggest factor I always point to, because it not only restricts to a high magic setting, it also requires that certain spells or spellcasters be either in the party or quickly accessible. There are any number of monster abilities that last until the victim receives a spell like Break Enchantment or Remove Curse. Many things specify one of these spells, which means that classes with alternate magic systems (incarnum, binding, even psionics) cannot help regardless of their comparative power. For example, I don't think any of these systems can replicate transmute stone to flesh.

I wouldn't necessarily say that 3.5 demands high magic so much as it assumes that high magic exists. It is possible for a DM to plan around the party and select or modify encounters carefully, it just calls on more work than normal.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

20. - Top - End - #20

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    I have played with that style of dm before its not worth it. Unless you all play warlocks or DFAs and then blast everything you see from as far away as possible. Those are at will abilities that are magical so off the table presumably.

So its: No wealth. There is no treasure to be found.
    No magic mart: Your only source of magic is likely(random) loot that you can never sell. If the DM even let's that go.
    No crafting allowed by the party(I am assuming), with maybe an exception made for party wizard and scribe scroll.
    No other casters in the entire multiverse (but monsters) who you cannot in any way be it diplomacy, calling, domination, or bargaining to aid and get ANY spellcasting services.
    All "cheese" aka persistomancy, minionmancy, or optimization above DMG/PHB pre made npcs.
    Core (PHB) only? Seems in line with the rest of things.

That sound about right?

If so I have played with a similar DM. Don't. It's not worth it.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    That's about right, except he's 3e, NO 3.5e allowed, and has had a group 'happily' gaming with him for apparently 10 years. As near as I can figure, it's probably stockholm syndrome, because he does all those other terrible GM things to (railroading, stupid dominance games, has a year's worth of plot planned out ahead of time, nerfing of prestige classes, stealth nerfs of enchantment effects, if you want a new character, you come in at level 1, etc. etc.)

I'm trying to get a friend who's been in this game to have a good argument to this guy for why it's not a good thing, and he should make immediate changes. For what it's worth, the GM *has* been responding positively to some of my friend's arguments about being unfair, he just apparently needs to be competently called out on it.

Like, at the last fight, the Paladin almost got permanently irrevocably level drained by some vampires, and no one sees that as a bad thing, since they don't really know!

Sigh.

Is there a statistical analysis of average monster AC, saves, resistances, per hit, per round damage in 3.5e somewhere? And how some of the 'basic' magic equipment options compare to that? Something that I can point to statistical data that says, 'see this math here? THIS is why magic items are needed!' Or at least a bunch of useful case studies?
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2020-04-27 at 12:15 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

That's about right, except he's 3e, NO 3.5e allowed, and has had a group 'happily' gaming with him for apparently 10 years. As near as I can figure, it's probably stockholm syndrome, because he does all those other terrible GM things to (railroading, stupid dominance games, has a year's worth of plot planned out ahead of time, nerfing of prestige classes, stealth nerfs of enchantment effects, if you want a new character, you come in at level 1, etc. etc.)

I'm trying to get a friend who's been in this game to have a good argument to this guy for why it's not a good thing, and he should make immediate changes. For what it's worth, the GM *has* been responding positively to some of my friend's arguments about being unfair, he just apparently needs to be competently called out on it.

Like, at the last fight, the Paladin almost got permanently irrevocably level drained by some vampires, and no one sees that as a bad thing...
    Yes, energy drain, something that has been the bane of my existence.

Sounds like he is honestly being an a-hole and dumping over everyone, maybe you should run your own game.

But can you do the crafting thing?

But you are right player effort should be rewarded otherwise the most powerful person in the party would I ironically be the cleric. I would like to refer you to my archer/healer/summoner build the i ended up giving to as friend as a cohort but tweak towards undead a bit more, the summons go in and grapple while players just walk by and deliver metaphorical coup de gras. Druid would even do the summons thing better and can build towards epic wildshape stuff.

The line "the beating will continue, until moral improves" is not a way to win friends, sorry to the guy who started saying this(Someone mentioned Captain Stark, 1811, but damn near everyone agreescis from military origins), but is no way to live life or play a game.

Hard work is supposed to be rewarded, not setting a person up for a harder punking. If hard work isn't rewarded next best option is put the characters out to pasture, and start a new game.

But it ain't good when the only game in town is run by a person seem dead set on screwing you.

There is only so far you can stretch a metaphor.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

There is a "Big Six" 3.5 article that touches on this. It acknowledges that there are six categories of magic item that are the most popular in the game, and gives several reasons why - but the main reason is the last one, namely that almost all D&D players need some if not all of them in order to stay competitive with level-appropriate challenges. More specifically, it says:

Required to Play. Characters simply can’t compete against their foes without enhancing their attack rolls, Armor Class, and saving throws. Every one of the “Big Six” items directly improve your character’s ability to roll high.
    For the curious, the "Big Six" are:

• Magic weapon
    • Magic armor & shield
    • Ring of protection
    • Cloak of resistance
    • Amulet of natural armor
    • Ability-score boosters

Not every character needs everything on this list, but almost all of them want something here, if not more than one thing. Lack of access to these is one of the biggest reasons why low-magic games don't work past low levels - at least, not without a replacement of some kind, like Automatic Bonus Progression.

Is there a statistical analysis of average monster AC, saves, resistances, per hit, per round damage in 3.5e somewhere? And how some of the 'basic' magic equipment options compare to that? Something that I can point to statistical data that says, 'see this math here? THIS is why magic items are needed!' Or at least a bunch of useful case studies?
    Pathfinder has this - first, the rough "Monster Statistics by CR" table from the Core Bestiary has guidelines on the AC, attack bonus, saves and hit points that monsters typically have at a given CR, and this table was greatly expanded on in Pathfinder Unchained to formulate a simple monster creation system.

All you have to do to prove your point is compare a magic-less character to the valiues in those tables, vs. a character with the expected magic items for their level of wealth. (Check out my sig for a rough guideline on the most expensive items characters should have at various level breakpoints given the "50% WBL" rule of thumb.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-04-27 at 01:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Now, we all know that is a terrible idea, and based on several factually incorrect assumptions. What I am looking for is detailed, cited elaborations on why and how and in what ways. Oh, about 50% of the time they might notice Druid is OP and ban them too.
    Something already existent that's so thorough...I'm not sure it's there. But as far as "monsters that become unfairly difficult to fight without any kind of magic including party casters", I'm probably gonna go with dragons. You can buy holy water to give ghosts problems, you can buy bows to give flyers problems, but dragons are just full of bull****. Dragon flies up, breath weapons the party (with frightful presence to boot), and flies away (never getting into melee range cuz 40 ft cone). Rogue/monk are unharmed from breath weapon, most anyone else just took 5d6 damage. Barbarian/Monk/Paladin aren't scared, most everyone else is probably (and is taking -2 to basically everything for effectively the rest of the fight). Repeat whenever breath weapon recharges.

Unless you're spec'd for using bows, you're probably taking -4 to attack (-2 shaken, -4 range) against AC 23, and dealing 1d8 flat against DR 5/magic. Even assuming a fighter 8 with Str 18 and a solid backup bow, who wasn't shaken and is readying to shoot the dragon when it gets in close, is looking at +10 vs AC 23, dealing 1d8+4 vs DR 5/magic. That averages 1.74 damage per attack. That's assuming no penalty from shaken, no penalty from range cuz the fighter readied. That's even taking crits into account. It'll maybe take the dragon six breaths to murder them all (17.5 4 times, 8.75 once when they get lucky? total 22.5d6 damage avg 78 vs 8d10+32 HP avg 76). 6 breaths is 5 waiting periods of 2.5 rounds so probably a 13 round combat. Each fighter is maybe looking at dealing 22 damage before they croak. So as long as you started with a party of 6 fights with Str 18/Con 18 and a backup mighty longbow giving +4 Str to damage, you might just barely squeak by with a victory!

More likely though, the dragon just gets volleyed from a distance with arrows that mostly miss and only occasionally even hurt because the party isn't full of super-buff guys with optimal bows, while slowly grinding the party down without ever entering melee. If the dragon decides to enter melee, it's 100% because the dragon feels it's getting killed faster than it's killing, and needs to correct that. Possibly by full attacking the lone survivor, possibly grappling a party member, flying them into the sky, and dropping them. That's also something it can probably just do from the get-go come to think of it (maybe something to keep it busy while its breath weapon is recharging). Yeah that makes the fight go way worse for the PCs.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Rehashing a lot of prior points, magic items are assumed to be in play to enable characters like fighters, rogues, muggles etc to interact at all with the game as levels go up.

AC and saving throws assume some manner of +X is in play to keep the character on the numeric treadmill. For classes with poor saves this can become as drastic as failing on 2s without any manner of +X or build choices aimed at compensating for this (mainly a side effect of multiclassing what with the +2 for each first level of a class).

Magic weapons to penetrate DR. 2h fighting is already favored by the system under normal assumptions. Inability to penetrate DR cripples high attack quantity martials and draws out most fights to long slogs.

Immunities. Nasty long term effects or instant loss effects crop up over the levels. The game assumes you have options for negating or mitigating them. A high level dragon can grapple the magic item lacking party one by one and drop them from high up with little to no counter play. Freedom of movement prevents the hysterical >+40 grapple from demolishing the party in this case (and +1 weapons let them actually damage it)

Movement, mainly flight. Dude with a sword can only hit what he can reach and boy are there a lot of things in the monster manual that can fly. We’re not talking about numbers. This is a yes/no can I play the game? Special senses are related to this, more situational but still very helpful.

Lacking magic items, the already inaccurate CR values become heavily distorted as parties depending on their composition may have numerous members be fully unable to interact with the monsters in a meaningful positive manner.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    There is a "Big Six" 3.5 article that touches on this. It acknowledges that there are six categories of magic item that are the most popular in the game, and gives several reasons why - but the main reason is the last one, namely that almost all D&D players need some if not all of them in order to stay competitive with level-appropriate challenges. More specifically, it says:
    Required to Play. Characters simply can’t compete against their foes without enhancing their attack rolls, Armor Class, and saving throws. Every one of the “Big Six” items directly improve your character’s ability to roll high.

For the curious, the "Big Six" are:

• Magic weapon
    • Magic armor & shield
    • Ring of protection
    • Cloak of resistance
    • Amulet of natural armor
    • Ability-score boosters

Not every character needs everything on this list, but almost all of them want something here, if not more than one thing. Lack of access to these is one of the biggest reasons why low-magic games don't work past low levels - at least, not without a replacement of some kind, like Automatic Bonus Progression.
    And some more info about the Midnight Campaign Setting:
    Quote Originally Posted by Types of Goods
    Contraband: ...
    This category nominally includes magic items as well, although anything but a one-use item or an item low on charges would be nearly priceless. On the other hand, since the dark god's servants seem to be able to find magic items at their whim, possessing such an item can end up having a heavy price, indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Item Creation
    Item Cost: Magic items do not have a cost in Midnight, as they are invaluable and are rarely traded, especially for gold. Costs are given for new items to calculate how much XP it costs to create them and to show their value relative to the amount of total wealth a character of a given level should possess (see DMG).
    Quote Originally Posted by Creating Magic Items
    Magic item creation differs from the standard rules because of the setting's unique economic system. The lack of a common currency means that materials and supplies cannot simply be purchased, and finding someone who will admit that he can craft magic items is difficult as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Hmmm, tempting to run a wizard crafter, why you ask? TO CHANGE THE WORLD!
    In the Midnight it would be a problem:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Laws of the Shadow
    Punishable by death
    —Possession of an enchanted item
    —Casting of spells or other uses of magic

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

That's about right, except he's 3e, NO 3.5e allowed, and has had a group 'happily' gaming with him for apparently 10 years. As near as I can figure, it's probably stockholm syndrome, because he does all those other terrible GM things [too]....
    If this is his table’s preferred playstyle, and if you dislike it so violently—

—why are you trying to change it? You don’t seem to be a player yourself, so I’m not sure what your stake is here.

…has a year's worth of plot planned out ahead of time….
    On its own I don’t see this as a bad thing. Unless you’re running a complete sandbox, it’s not a terrible idea to have some sense of where the story will be going.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-04-27 at 07:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Since it's 3e, then at the cost of playing an Exalted Good character, you could pick up the Vow of Poverty feat -- y'know -- because you wouldn't have many magic items to write home about anyways. It's not a full fix, and most people know that VoP is trash compared to having normal items, but I think it's decent mitigation in this situation
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

In the Midnight it would be a problem:
    I would ask, if they can’t cast spells or use magic items, how are they even going to find you, let alone kill you. I mean a ring of invisibility overland flying wizard with protection from missiles is level 9. But I’m sure given what he said about DM there’s a way.

This has been said in a different way by others (Xervous), but one of the things the tier system measures is item dependency. From Tier 1s who can operate at a high % of effectiveness without any WBL to tier 3s who are mostly ok with random loot down to tier 5s who need very specific items to do their jobs well. Low mag takes balance issues and dials them up to 11.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2020-04-27 at 08:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    If this is his table’s preferred playstyle, and if you dislike it so violently—

—why are you trying to change it? You don’t seem to be a player yourself, so I’m not sure what your stake is here.
    I have to concur. If you aren't playing in this game (and aren't intending to), then it's kinda of not your place to say they're having badwrongfun. And, to be honest, the best way of changing their minds if you ARE planning to join the game is to ste-up and run a normal campaign yourself, rather than try to coerse someone else into changing the group's playstyle for you.

(Come to that, not every person is compatible with every table. I sure as hell am aware that a lot of people wouldn't be happy at my table just as much as I know I'd be unhappy at theirs.)

I would also point out that if the group stems back from AD&D you COULDN'T fix level-drain outside of Wish, so if they're in that mindset of playing "AD&D but Better," they may just be used to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan
    On its own I don’t see this as a bad thing. Unless you’re running a complete sandbox, it’s not a terrible idea to have some sense of where the story will be going.
    I mean, if you run an adventure path, you're tactily planning, like, about three year's worth in advance (at least by the count of my own group's approximate 6-month per book on crica two hours a week sessions,) so I again agree, there's nothing wrong with that inherently. Some DMs (myself, for example) are prep heavy and have no interest (and no fun) in running sandboxes. And even if you can persuade a DM to run a game they don't like, I can't think of a much faster way to have a bad time, save maybe for "...and we're using FATAL."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Where can I find a good online article about how and in what way 3e, 3.5e, and PF1 require high magic (edit: I mean all supernatural abilities that resemble spells even slightly) settings and high magic items settings to function and break down horribly in low magic games, and how and in what ways the games can't remotely handle low magic (in enemies, npc classes, wealth, player classes, item availability, etc. etc.) in any way? And how trying to run a gritty low magic game in 3e, 3.5e, pf1, 3.pf, etc is doomed to cause problems? And where the books are specifically set up to assume the setting is extremely high magic, and why the DMG was written in such a way?

I'd be fine with an epic rant rather than a full on polished article, as long as it touches all the bases. Thanks!
    You're coming at this from the wrong angle (and I'd disagree that the game demands "high" magic, but you don't actually provide definitions of what you think "high/low" means in terms of magic so I'm using my own perceptions in that regard). If you as a player know that YOU will not enjoy such a game, and have voiced your opinion on that to the DM for various reasons but the DM won't listen to you, JUST DON'T F'N PLAY IN THAT GAME. You don't need to be the game police sent on a mission to arrest the newb DM and try him in gaming court with you playing the part of righteous prosecutor with indisputable written evidence of why he's wrong. How about:

"Newb DM, I've been at this longer than you have. All my experience and things which I have read indicate to me that the kind of campaign you want to run just won't work with 3E rules in the way that you want it to, or think that it does. 3E rules are in fact designed from the ground up to have EXPECTED LEVELS of magic and money. Not "high" or "low", just expected valuations at a given level that a character should have a certain amount of magic and gear/money. If you just cavalierly ignore that the game tends not to work because the game is NUMERICALLY BASED on those expectations as much as it can be. But far more importantly - that isn't the kind of game I want to play in. Run a more normal game with normal amounts of magic and other rewards to be found and I will play because I know that kind of game works FOR ME. I just don't have any desire to be a guinea pig in your experiment in running a "low" magic game because I don't have any faith that you are familiar enough with the mechanics of the game to understand how to make that kind of game actually work. So, can't we just have a NORMAL game?"

I believe that rather than improve with "high" magic, and contrary to your initial suggestion, 3E breaks down as levels increase. ALL D&D breaks down as levels increase. It breaks down sufficiently that what the game is/how it actually plays out is widely accepted to change and 3E in particular can be categorized along the general lines of:

Levels 1-5: Gritty fantasy
    Levels 6-10: Heroic fantasy
    Levels 11-15: Wuxia
    Levels 16-20: Superheroes

If you don't want to play superheroes then CLEARLY D&D has broken down as levels increased. Now, that little chart there comes to us from Ryan Dancey (one time VP in charge of D&D development at WotC, responsible for saving D&D from oblivion after TSR collapsed, instituting the OGL, of course developing 3rd Edition D&D rules, later participating in the development of Pathfinder, etc.) I think we can credit him safely with some reliable analysis of how 3E works. If your newb DM wants "gritty" he's seemingly overdoing it and going right for "suffering through poverty and misery." Gritty - at least what most players would consider gritty ENOUGH - is built INTO 3E already. Just run 3E D&D NORMALLY and you'll get a "gritty" game which players will almost certainly enjoy FAR more than if you take what is already considered "gritty" and GUT IT to suck the fun out of its marrow.

E6 is almost certainly what this DM is really looking for - but it then needs to be pointed out that E6 is intended to be run NORMALLY according to the 3E rules until PC's get to level 6. Only then does it institute any changes to cut off the NORMAL tendency of 3E D&D to spiral out of control. E6 would, I think, be the compromise that would work for you to continue to play in your newb DM's game.
    Last edited by D+1; 2020-04-27 at 09:23 AM.