New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition (Round XXIII)

DeTess, you're a monarch among commoners, and you win Honorable Mention this round. You have my sincere thanks! I'd like to post the next round before this weekend is out, so let's try not to have unnecessary disputes.

Here's a bit of goodwill feedback on The Wanderer! No score, but commentary. It's way, way quicker and less intricate than I usually do, sorry.

Spoiler
    Show
    Originality: Legit love the use of the 3.0 feats from OA and S&S. I had to look those up. Really don't see a disarm-user every day, but at the same time, if it's gonna work anywhere, E6 is the place.

Power: You take a while before you've got anything spicier than a basic attack, especially since disarming comes at the expense of attacking (unlike Improved Trip, there's no damage on a disarm attack until Snatch Weapon comes online). While it's less crippling in E6 than in non-E6, relying primarily on unarmed strikes without a way to make them count as magical is a bit risky; that said, you're quite competent with manufactured weapons, so that's not an insurmountable weak point.

When the main combo of Grappling Block + Snatch Weapon comes online, the build feels quite coherent. Snap Kick then lets you get an extra swing after using the aforementioned two feats, and that's smooth as butter. Love it.

It would have been nice if you didn't have to wait until 3rd epic feat to get something that allows for decent offense against enemies who don't care about using manufactured weapons, but better late than never.

Your tactical feats make sense and feel like a natural progression.

Overall, the build feels solid when it's in its element. It would have been better to see a little bit of extra attention paid to either forcing your element or to dealing with situations other than your preferred one, but at the same time, you're a dang fighter; there's only so much you can reasonably do.

Elegance: The progression is logical; there's no confusing swerves or other head-scratching moments. I didn't check all your prereqs, but at least your skills seem nice and smooth. I love the core combo, and I love the way it plays nicely with your tactical feats. Thumbs up.

UoSI: The core combo requires so many feats to come online that even a full-blooded fighter (with a human bonus feat!) couldn't fit in the whole thing in E6 before the epic feats start popping up, so yeah, I don't think it's fair to say that this build could fundamentally afford to be anything but a fighter. Good show.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition (Round XXIII)

Thanks for judging DeTess, no disputes from me. I was thinking of trying to put together a judgement for you, but Zaq did it better than I would've, so I'll just say that I really like your build.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

That's a wrap, everyone! Let's move on to the new round.

Build Stub Chef Score
    Arog CE arctic orc fighter 6 MinimanMidget 17.5, GOLD
    Demon Leg of Martok LE human monk 1 / fighter 5 daremetoidareyo 14.5
    Halvena Ironhide LG silverbrow human ranger 1 / fighter 4 / beastmaster 1 Blackhawk748 15.5
    Steve ("I Knew He Was Worthy!") NG human fighter 6 crankykobold 16
    Irkle ?? whisper gnome swashbuckler 3 / sneak attack thug fighter 3 MicHag 17, SILVER
    Orthos ?? azurin fighter 6 Panosis 14
    Pauli T'Chan NG human noble 1 / fighter 5 daremetoidareyo 15
    Severas LE human fighter 6 MinimanMidget 17, SILVER
    Staffilius CG kalashtar darksong knight fighter 6 Quentinas 16
    The Wanderer LN silverbrow human fighter 6 DeTess unjudged, HON. MENTION

Thanks as always to everyone for being patient while the gears grind slowly! Congrats to MinimanMidget for a double podium place and congrats to MicHag for a strong showing as well! Honestly, these were all awesome. Extra special thanks to DeTess for not only putting in the work to make a build but then for selflessly withdrawing and judging to the show could go on! Brava, brava!

Still can't believe we had no dungeoncrashers. Was everyone scared that it would be too common, or is there another problem with it I didn't see?

New thread here!
    Last edited by Zaq; 2020-07-04 at 02:34 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

My bet was that Dungeoncrasher is way to obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Dungeoncrasher is good, but shoehorns you into a pretty specific and well-worn path.

My idea was another grappler, using SA Fighter, Greater Multigrab, and the fact that holding an enemy with just one limb means they lose their dexterity bonus versus your attacks. Throw in Staggering Strike, some extra limbs, some aquatic stuff, and Martial Throw to move around the battlefield and drag/throw people into the water with you. Set the whole thing to Aurelio Voltaire's "Don't Go By The River". I probably would have gone Zhentarim as well, and angled it as the whole thing being also part of a protection racket, with the character acting as the threat that the Zhentarim 'protect' people from and also headhunting heroes that are threatening to meddle. I was pretty pleased with the whole thing, though I wasn't sure whether to go Aventi or Aquatic Human (either way I was taking Jotunbrud)... but finals meant I had no time to actually put it all together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

This one was fun. I was expecting demon leg to do better than paulie.