New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Default Serini and the Bugbear Village

We've established in page 1227 that Serini will definitely befriend communities of monstrous races, (Link here to that comic: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1227.html) I was rereading the early parts of this book and saw that in 1198 (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1198.html) the bugbear village is right next to dungeon. It's been established multiple times that Oona regularly adventures in this dungeon complex.

I would be shocked if Serini didn't have massive ties to that village, and to Oona specifically.

This could come into play in a lot of interesting ways too. If Serini winds up allying the the OoTS then her having a strong relationship with Oona could help a lot with swaying Redcloak to listen to Durkon. (Even if she doesn't that could still come into play in a different way). It has a lot of potential for how she might interact with Team Evil as a whole. For all we know, Oona could be in Team Evil as a mole for Serini (but I doubt it)
    Last edited by DevotedPaladin; 2021-08-26 at 11:56 PM. Reason: 1198, not 1199

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Serini and the Bugbear Village

Quote Originally Posted by DevotedPaladin View Post
    We've established in page 1227 that Serini will definitely befriend communities of monstrous races, (Link here to that comic: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1227.html) I was rereading the early parts of this book and saw that in 1198 (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1198.html) the bugbear village is right next to dungeon. It's been established multiple times that Oona regularly adventures in this dungeon complex.

I would be shocked if Serini didn't have massive ties to that village, and to Oona specifically.

This could come into play in a lot of interesting ways too. If Serini winds up allying the the OoTS then her having a strong relationship with Oona could help a lot with swaying Redcloak to listen to Durkon. (Even if she doesn't that could still come into play in a different way). It has a lot of potential for how she might interact with Team Evil as a whole. For all we know, Oona could be in Team Evil as a mole for Serini (but I doubt it)
    I wouldn't be too surprised if Oona turned out to be a mole. However, I kind of doubt Serini would befriend a whole village right on the doorstep of her gate. There'd be no guarantee that one of the bugbears wouldn't reveal some information, and the smallest tidbit could clue intruders into the idea that the tunnels are a ruse. Serini might be respectful towards 'monster' races, but she's also cynical and untrusting.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    I wouldn't be too surprised if Oona turned out to be a mole.
    I would. There hasn't been any foreshadowing of her being polymorphed!

I think I'm funny.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I would. There hasn't been any foreshadowing of her being polymorphed!

I think I'm funny.
    Obviously that's because she was reincarnated.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It is plausible, but I believe Oona is too easy-going to be a mole, or a plant, or even to avoid spilling beans about Serini in a conversation.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    It is plausible, but I believe Oona is too easy-going to be a mole, or a plant, or even to avoid spilling beans about Serini in a conversation.
    "This person does not look like a double agent" is about the worst conceivable argument one can make against someone being a double agent.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    "This person does not look like a double agent" is about the worst conceivable argument one can make against someone being a double agent.
    Eh, I wonder what happened to basic courtesy. One should always be open and honest about being a dangerous traitor.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Eh, I wonder what happened to basic courtesy. One should always be open and honest about being a dangerous traitor.
    Littlefinger? Is that you?
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It looks to me like her relationships are with the monsters in the dungeon, and she merely tolerates the bugbears. Certainly Serini wouldn't do anything to give away the gimmick of the dungeon to the bugbears unless she had to.

10. - Top - End - #10

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    It looks to me like her relationships are with the monsters in the dungeon, and she merely tolerates the bugbears. Certainly Serini wouldn't do anything to give away the gimmick of the dungeon to the bugbears unless she had to.
    Well, there’s a lot of different ways you can have a relationship, especially if you’re an epic rogue.

I mean, with monsters.

Um, well, you know what I mean.

It would be surprising if Serini DIDN’T scout the surrounding area every few months just to keep tabs on things. Oona might know her as that chatty wandering halfling merchant who comes by a few times/year to sell trinkets, have drinks with everyone and amiably swap gossip about the local tribes and anything interesting that’s going on.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2021-08-27 at 12:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Obviously that's because she was reincarnated.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #12

HalflingRogueGuy

In 1204, someone in a purple cloak is buying a scroll from redcloak.

In 1226, Serini is wearing a purple cloak.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    In 1204, someone in a purple cloak is buying a scroll from redcloak.

In 1226, Serini is wearing a purple cloak.
    Are you suggested the horned-masked bugbear is acrtually two halflings in a fur coat?

Also the bugbear is wearing a purple tunic, their cloak is brown and looks noting like Serini's.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingRogueGuy

Are you suggested the horned-masked bugbear is acrtually two halflings in a fur coat?

Also the bugbear is wearing a purple tunic, their cloak is brown and looks noting like Serini's.
    True. It looks like they are probably different pieces of clothing. It also looks like they’re giving the scroll to redcloak, not taking the scroll from redcloak.

But… I know it’s a long shot… that bugbear may have been a halfling.

If Belkar could pull it off in Azure city I’m sure Serini can.

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

It also looks like they’re giving the scroll to redcloak, not taking the scroll from redcloak.
    In the next page, Redcloak has the scroll, so I think you are right.

16. - Top - End - #16

PaladinGuy

I think anyone she meets would remember a half-troll halfling, unless she has some powerful disguise magic. It seems more likely to me that Serini does her scouting while invisible.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

True. It looks like they are probably different pieces of clothing. It also looks like they’re giving the scroll to redcloak, not taking the scroll from redcloak.

But… I know it’s a long shot… that bugbear may have been a halfling.

If Belkar could pull it off in Azure city I’m sure Serini can.
    Notably, both times so far when we have seen a halfling disguising themselves as medium (Belkar in Azure City and Serini to the paladins), they have had a cape that fully covers where there legs would be. I doubt Rich is going to include an uncover halfling wearing normal pants.

Or maybe that's what Serini wants us to think

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And that is exactly why it works
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

I feel like it's possible that Serini might occasionally buy supplies or talk with the Bugbear Villagers, but it would be an awful risk to have someone there who actually knows her. After all this village popped up on its own accord since it was a source of supplies and beasts for the bugbears pushed out north of the mountains by the dwarves, and it probbably wasn't there when Serini left kraagor's right?

She doesn't strike me as the kind of person to let a whole community of strangers she's uninvolved in play ball to her plans... or even let know she's alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionReplay View Post
    Why does D&D have no Gollum? Why it does. You just can't see him. He is wearing his precious at the moment.
    There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Elemental View Post
    I feel like it's possible that Serini might occasionally buy supplies or talk with the Bugbear Villagers, but it would be an awful risk to have someone there who actually knows her. After all this village popped up on its own accord since it was a source of supplies and beasts for the bugbears pushed out north of the mountains by the dwarves, and it probbably wasn't there when Serini left kraagor's right?

She doesn't strike me as the kind of person to let a whole community of strangers she's uninvolved in play ball to her plans... or even let know she's alive.
    I agree, and would add that if Serini did visit the village, she would use a portion of amnesia to erase their memory of her. Same if any of the bugbears stumbled upon the trap to the gate- just wipe out their memory.
    It would be pretty easy, because she would be friendly to them and then offer them a drink. Serini likely has very high charisma-based skills, so I see that working.
    (BTW, which skill would she use to have them drink? Diplomacy? Bluff? Or maybe just a halfling drinking game?)

21. - Top - End - #21

No, it's actually Sunny. The horns are really just poorly disguised eyestalks.

[Emphasis mine.] Hm. Could it be THOG?

22. - Top - End - #22

AssassinGuy

Maybe not allies, but I could see Serini and the bugbears being aware of each other, and just living-and-let-living. They have no immediate reason to oppose each other. And maybe they just didn't tell Team Evil about her because they didn't think it important.

Redcloak later goes ballistic, "Why didn't you tell me there was a halfling living secretly inside the dungeons!?!?"
    And Oona goes, "Man in red cape never asked."

23. - Top - End - #23

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Maybe not allies, but I could see Serini and the bugbears being aware of each other, and just living-and-let-living. They have no immediate reason to oppose each other. And maybe they just didn't tell Team Evil about her because they didn't think it important.

Redcloak later goes ballistic, "Why didn't you tell me there was a halfling living secretly inside the dungeons!?!?"
    And Oona goes, "Man in red cape never asked."
    That kinda seems wildly unlikely that Oona wouldn't bring up asking the person by far the most likely to know everything about the dungeons and the location of the gate.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    That kinda seems wildly unlikely that Oona wouldn't bring up asking the person by far the most likely to know everything about the dungeons and the location of the gate.
    Unless there is no connection to the crazy old halfling with the grafts and Monster Hollow. Serini could have Sunny drop her off in a random spot and she could drag a sled full of goodies to trade for the bugbear loot.

I'm not guessing that it is likely, but it might be possible. Lack of information makes it difficult to argue for or against. But hey, that's never stopped me before.

I will speculate that Serini knows everything there is to know about the bugbears. I still don't know how she knows it.

25. - Top - End - #25

Flumph

"Oona is working for Serini" theory put Oona's hunt for paladins in a different light. Was it part of Serini's plan to eliminate the people who might endanger the gate? Was Oona serious about hunting them for MitD, or was it just a cover story for her actions?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    "Oona is working for Serini" theory put Oona's hunt for paladins in a different light. Was it part of Serini's plan to eliminate the people who might endanger the gate? Was Oona serious about hunting them for MitD, or was it just a cover story for her actions?
    It definitely felt serious, give what she says to MitD. And I expect that even if she is a double agent most of what she says directly is probably true. Honesty and stating her mind seem like too crucial of character traits for her to seem likely to be manufactured. If she's hiding something it's probably through lies of omission, and she's used "you didn't ask" as an excuse enough times that I could believe her to be hiding a lot. Especially since she's not really on Xykon's side and just barely on Redcloak's based on what she's told us so far
    Last edited by DevotedPaladin; 2021-08-30 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Added a couple sentences

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Even though Serini believes that the paladins are a threat to the Gate, she went out of her way not to kill them despite the fact that she could have done so easily. Oona, in the meantime, was quite evidently intent on murdering them both. I don't see that as following Serini's orders.