New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #1201 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Oh boy, if only they had someone who could cast Sending. An elven Cleric maybe. Or a dwarven Wizard. Something like that.
    Sure, but if some combination of Elan, Haley, and/or Belkar (which is not crazy - they probably have the highest Reflex save bonuses) survive, there could be a real problem. Maybe Haley will wind up having a wand of Sending, or maybe Elan will level up and take Sending as a new spell (do bards get that?), but a scenario where the survivor(s) of a fierce climactic battle are stranded with no access to Sending or similar magic is definitely plausible (even if, narratively speaking, it’s highly unlikely).

Which is not to say that Roy is making a poor decision. Protecting the Mechane’s crew from possible assaults from Team Evil is noble, and it’s worth doing. It’s just not exactly risk-free.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Sure, but if some combination of Elan, Haley, and/or Belkar (which is not crazy - they probably have the highest Reflex save bonuses) survive, there could be a real problem. Maybe Haley will wind up having a wand of Sending, or maybe Elan will level up and take Sending as a new spell (do bards get that?), but a scenario where the survivor(s) of a fierce climactic battle are stranded with no access to Sending or similar magic is definitely plausible (even if, narratively speaking, it’s highly unlikely).

Which is not to say that Roy is making a poor decision. Protecting the Mechane’s crew from possible assaults from Team Evil is noble, and it’s worth doing. It’s just not exactly risk-free.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #243

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    On topic: there is a slight flaw with Roy's plans - if he's killed, but they defeat Xykon.
    Null hypothesis. Taking out Xykon ends the Blood Oath, and with it goes Julia's Contact Other Person spell. Roy's (non)survival is irrelevant to the problem, as it has no effect.

BTW, anyone else wondering if Julia meeting Bandana to arrange the pickup results in her taking up a career of airship wizard after graduation?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    BTW, anyone else wondering if Julia meeting Bandana to arrange the pickup results in her taking up a career of airship wizard after graduation?
    I wasn't before, but now I am. I could totally see Julia enjoying the life of a sky pirate.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Null hypothesis. Taking out Xykon ends the Blood Oath, and with it goes Julia's Contact Other Person spell. Roy's (non)survival is irrelevant to the problem, as it has no effect.

Alternately, the Order kills Xykon before Julia's project is due, rendering her research moot and making it impossible for her to graduate on time, so she swears a Blood Oath of Vengeance against Roy for tanking her GPA. Since he's her next of kin, that means she can once again use the spell to get in touch with him.

Sorry, I don't get it. Was I repeating something that somebody else already said?
    Last edited by Emanick; 2020-05-07 at 08:45 PM.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

New (false) theory :
    Everyone exept Belkar dies in the fight; Belkar tries to return on foot (since he doesn't know about Roy backup plan) and dies in a snowstorm. The Mechane comes back, everyone is resurected exept Belkar since they can't find his body

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1202 - The Discussion Thread

Thanks for the morning laugh, Mox. Love it.

Kind of hoping the next update is a double. Seems like we're going to have a dramatic scene soon. Maybe a cutaway? I really want to check in on Team Evil or the paladins, but it seems like we're too close to confronting TE to cut in on them...
    Quote Originally Posted by bravelove View Post
    people on this forum seeing the no politics sign: huh i wonder what that's for, can't be me, anyways time to compare the comic to politics again-
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mox View Post
    New (false) theory :
    Everyone exept Belkar dies in the fight; Belkar tries to return on foot (since he doesn't know about Roy backup plan) and dies in a snowstorm. The Mechane comes back, everyone is resurected exept Belkar since they can't find his body
    The darkest irony truly is Belkar only not being able to live because he went into a blizzard to fire a flare so everyone else could be saved.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Assuming the OotS wins, but Roy, Durkon, Minra, and V die, and neither Haley nor Elan have the appropriate magic to contact Bandana, there will still be one cleric available who can cast Sending:

If the Order of the Stick wins, that means they've beaten Xykon and recruited Redcloak to the cause of sealing the rifts. Anything less than this really doesn't count as a "win". And Redcloak is definitely capable of casting Sending.

So there's really no real cause for concern that the survivors will be stranded at the pole, and then have to move in with the bugbears.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-05-08 at 10:02 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Belkar is onky gonna die in the "where are they now?" Segment of the last strip when there will be gray panels of everyone's faces with a white text saying what happened to them.

"Belkar would later on perish in an unrelated tavern fight"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

New (false) theory :
    Under those circumstances, I think they'd take the time and trouble to do a Locate Object. The only reason they couldn't do that for Roy's sword was the time crunch.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-05-08 at 11:22 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Under those circumstances, I think they'd take the time and trouble to do a Locate Object. The only reason they couldn't do that for Roy's sword was the time crunch.
    They do Locate Object, the location is underneath hundreds of feet of snow during a storm that's still raging, while they have an active job to do in terms of sealing the rifts.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #253

Sealing the rifts is done by the gods once they get that 9th-grade spell's worth of purple quiddity.

Also, I'm not sure Redcloak is familiar enough with Bandana to send to her.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

They don't die in a snow storm anymore, they all have protection from weather or just coats

15. - Top - End - #255

Along with buckets of hit points and high level saves. The Order could probably walk out without serious issue as long as they have water to drink.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ebarde View Post
    They don't die in a snow storm anymore, they all have protection from weather or just coats
    That protects from cold, not from other issues arising in snow storms. I agree with the overall sentiment, but coats and PFE spells are just a small reason.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Assuming the OotS wins, but Roy, Durkon, Minra, and V die, and neither Haley nor Elan have the appropriate magic to contact Bandana, there will still be one cleric available who can cast Sending:

If the Order of the Stick wins, that means they've beaten Xykon and recruited Redcloak to the cause of sealing the rifts. Anything less than this really doesn't count as a "win". And Redcloak is definitely capable of casting Sending.

So there's really no real cause for concern that the survivors will be stranded at the pole, and then have to move in with the bugbears.
    There are a lot of possible scenarios in which the Order defeats Team Evil but Redcloak dies, either as a result of a betrayal or because he gets killed in the crossfire, in an area-of-effect spell or simply out of desperate self-defense. Those scenarios are certainly suboptimal, but they're not necessarily a "loss" (I suppose you could argue that it's a loss for the planet, but in that situation, the Order could always try and find another goblinoid cleric to team up with and level him or her up to 17 - heck, that might be easier than convincing Redcloak to help anyway). In any case, in this hypothetical scenario, where Redcloak dies and the Order wins, but loses all of their spellcasters, the survivors still need to find a way out of the polar region.

Also, do we have any evidence that Minrah can cast Sending? It's a 4th level spell for clerics, and IIRC the highest-level spell she's cast on panel is 3rd. Given her fighter levels and the fact that she seems to be significantly weaker than the Order, I would be somewhat surprised if she's a level 7 cleric yet. That said, even if she isn't, it's certainly possible that she could hit level 7 by the end of the book.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2020-05-08 at 01:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258

At their level, at worst they can walk. Assuming there isn't a spellcaster left who could use Windwalk, or Overland Flight, or summon a few mounts, a bard who can diplomance the bugbears into helping, or...

They have a lot of options.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

At their level, at worst they can walk. Assuming there isn't a spellcaster left who could use Windwalk, or Overland Flight, or summon a few mounts, a bard who can diplomance the bugbears into helping, or...

They have a lot of options.
    Having read Frostburn (at least the part that deals with arctic weather conditions), I'm actually not sure that a high-level party would be able to survive a (let's say) week-long trek across the pole with no magic and only cold-weather outfits to rely on. If Belkar is alive, he might be able to help - assuming he's put some skill points in Survival since Book 2, which actually seems quite likely to me - but I'm still not sure it would be enough.

Getting the bugbears to help them might be a better bet. Even a couple survivors of the Order's level would probably be formidable enough to get the bugbears to work with them, rather than just attacking them on sight. If nothing else, the Order has magic items to trade that the bugbears would very likely be interested in. And if the MitD is with them in this scenario, which seems very likely since I don't see a plausible way that he ends up dead (unless The Snarl kills him), then securing the tribe's assistance should be child's play.

It seems pretty obvious that none of this is going to happen, of course. But I'm enjoying thinking through the various possibilities, so whatever.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2020-05-08 at 01:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    They do Locate Object, the location is underneath hundreds of feet of snow during a storm that's still raging, while they have an active job to do in terms of sealing the rifts.
    There still wouldn't be any reason to not go back for his body after all of the complications are dealt with. Unless something ate it and completely digested even the bones, or something like that. Or dropped the residue somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, or in some other way carried the residue a long way away, or messed up the remains to the point that the spell fails due to the impossibility of accurately visualizing it. I don't know what the options are for locating an object that have more power than Locate Object.

21. - Top - End - #261

Use Limited Wish to just bring the remains to you.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

So, they would just ditch the body of a party member that is almost epic level and one of the most competent adventurers in their world just cause they can't think their way through snow?

23. - Top - End - #263

As long as it's mundane snow, just summon a fire elemental to melt through the snow. Or an air elemental to blow the snow away. Or other things. Again, high level party, so pretty much drowning in options.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

None of them can do elementals, but really just cast a fire spell

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

There are a lot of possible scenarios in which the Order defeats Team Evil but Redcloak dies, either as a result of a betrayal or because he gets killed in the crossfire, in an area-of-effect spell or simply out of desperate self-defense. Those scenarios are certainly suboptimal, but they're not necessarily a "loss" (I suppose you could argue that it's a loss for the planet, but in that situation, the Order could always try and find another goblinoid cleric to team up with and level him or her up to 17 - heck, that might be easier than convincing Redcloak to help anyway). In any case, in this hypothetical scenario, where Redcloak dies and the Order wins, but loses all of their spellcasters, the survivors still need to find a way out of the polar region.
    If the order beats Team Evil but fails to recruit Redcloak, they haven't won.

And if Roy, Durokon, etc. dies while the order still wins, any survivors can describe Bandana clearly enough for Redcloak to Send to her. If this description and drawing work (and they obviously did) there's nothing to worry about.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

If the order beats Team Evil but fails to recruit Redcloak, they haven't won.
    What if Redcloak dies after as a side effect of sealing the rift? (Besides being an obvious Kraagor parallel)
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    What if Redcloak dies after as a side effect of sealing the rift? (Besides being an obvious Kraagor parallel)
    That strikes me as being a bit much given where this story is going from a moral standpoint
    Plus, they would still need purple Quiddity to seal the other rifts.

-Squire Doodad

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Plus, they would still need purple Quiddity to seal the other rifts.
    Unless they don't. It's rather ambiguous, as the wording could support a single 9th-level slot being sufficient for sealing all the rifts.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by ebarde View Post
    None of them can do elementals, but really just cast a fire spell
    Summon Monster of I to IX can each bring around a suitably sized elemental (or multiple smaller ones), and those are core spells.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

New (false) theory :
    I see a dramatic alignment shift here...

Belkar is supposed to be Chaotic Evil, but over the course of the strip, he seems to be creeping toward Chaotic Neutral.