New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

For 1242 Area of Affect:

Belkar Bitterleaf +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021) +58 words
    Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021)
    Durkon Thundershield +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021)
    Elan +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021) +82 words
    Haley Starshine +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021) +42 words
    Minrah Shaleshoe +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021) +90 words
    Mr. Scruffy +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021) +1 word
    Roy Greenhilt +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021)
    Vaarsuvius +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021)

There were also a couple sound effects.

There were only two characters whose number of words are at all interesting.
    Minrah is still in 25th place with 3,398 between Malack (3,528) and Bandana (3,266). This isn’t a change of rank, but she’s gaining in Malack.
    Mr. Scruffy is tied for 236th place with the Adolescent Black Dragon and Weary Traveller Workers. Two more words and he catches up with Brother Hiram.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I still tend to think that Sunny should be credited as appearing in strip #32, but there isn't full agreement on that point, so she's not credited as appearing in that strip at the moment.

Some new alternate magical forms have been added, namely "Serini Seen Invisible" and "Belkar Calmed." I'm not totally sure that the latter should count, but it's about as visually distinctive as being charmed, so I figured I'd throw it in anyway.

Some new landmarks reached over the past few strips:

Minrah has now appeared on 108 pages, and has passed the Demon Roaches and Sabine, making her 20th in terms of number of page appearances. Sabine, at 107 page appearances, falls from 20th to 21st, and the Demon Roaches, at 104 page appearances, fall from 21st to 22nd.
    Bloodfeast has now appeared on 29 pages, putting him at 54th place, along with Felix, Gannji and Ho Thanh. Enor and Kwesi, at 28 page appearances, fall from 57th to 58th place. Bozzok, the Empress of Blood, Hel, Jirix, Laurin Shattersmith and Loki, at 27 appearances, fall from 59th to 60th place. Jones, Julia Greenhilt and Pangtok, at 26 page appearances, fall from 65th to 66th place.
    Serini has now appeared on 20 different pages, tying her for 89th place, alongside such eminent individuals as Ganonron, Hank, Jephton the Unholy, Kubota, Logann Brightstone, Soul-Muncher and Vampirized CotS Usher with Sandy Hair.

I've also added about half of the missing smilies, and I've updated some of the existing ones to be more accurate (e.g. Gontor's smilie now shows him as a living dwarf, rather than being a carbon copy of the Ex-Exarch's smilie). The remaining eight we need are 1) Kudzu, 2) CotS Usher with Long Hair, 3) Vampire Dwarf with Blue Curly Hair, 4) Logann Brightstone, 5) Kandro, 6) Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard, 7) Tinna, and 8) Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail. We'll likely need one for Sunny in a few strips, too.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-08-19 at 04:24 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For 1243 Rogue Up, Rogue Down:

Haley Starshine +1 (1242, 18 Aug 2021) +65 words
    Mimi +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021)
    Serini Toormuck +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021) +48 words
    Sunny +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021) +53 words

There were also a few sound effects.

There were only two characters whose number of words are at all interesting.
    Serini moves up to 45th place with 1,416. This has her passing Andromeda (1,394), Thog (1,397), Bureaucratic Deva (1,401), and Bozzok (1,408). She is just behind Hel, who has 1,424 words, then the next one to catch is the total of the undifferentiated Demon Roaches who collectively have 1,665 words.

Sunny, with 146 words, moves up 58 places to 217th, below Kandro (149) and above the collected BAB Fraternity Members (145). With that many characters with such similar totals, a little increase can be a huge jump in ranking.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Updated through 1243
    Haley Starshine, Serini Toormuck (seen invisible), Sunny

No real landmarks here, unless you count the 850th page Haley has appeared on. Serini goes from being in an eight-way tie for 89th place, at 20 page appearances, to being in a three-way tie for 87th place with the Ancient Black Dragon and Girard Draketooth, all at 21 page appearances. Ganonron, Hank, Jephton the Unholy, Kubota, Logann Brightstone, Soul-Muncher and Vampirized Creed of the Stone Usher with Sandy Hair, the other seven characters with 20 page appearances, all fall to 90th place.

In terms of alternate magical forms, Serini has now been seen invisible on 7 different pages, making her the character most frequently depicted as invisible. Previously she was tied with Haley.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-09-07 at 02:11 PM.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Updated through 1243
    Haley Starshine, Serini Toormuck (seen invisible), Sunny
    Mimi the mimic is visible in the bottom corner of the first panel.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Pixie in the Playground

Vampirized Creed of the Stone Usher with Sandy Hair's name in the list links to page 633, which... Doesn't make any kind of sense to me. Isn't her first appearance on page 1017?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Izandai View Post
    Vampirized Creed of the Stone Usher with Sandy Hair's name in the list links to page 633, which... Doesn't make any kind of sense to me. Isn't her first appearance on page 1017?
    Clearly the primordial components of her spirit are embedded into Jephton's aura
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For 1244 Maxxed Concentration:

Belkar Bitterleaf +1 (1242, 18 Aug 2021) +35 words
    Elan +1 (1242, 18 Aug 2021) +17 words
    Haley Starshine +1 (1243, 7 Sep 2021) +99 words
    Lutey the Lute-tastical Lute +1 (1241, 26 Jul 2021)
    Serini Toormuck +1 (1243, 7 Sep 2021) +64 words
    Sunny +1 (1243, 7 Sep 2021) +5 words
    Vaarsuvius +1 (1242, 18 Aug 2021) +37 words

There was also a sound effect.

Haley is in 2nd place with 40,025 words.
    Elan is in 3rd with 35,780.
    Belkar is in 4th with 34,287.
    Vaarsuvius is in 5th with 28,256.
    Serini moves up to 44th place with 1,480, passing Hel, who has 1,424 words. The next one to catch is the total of the undifferentiated Demon Roaches who collectively have 1,665 words.
    Sunny moves up one place to 216th with 151, jumping ahead of [b]Kandro[/], who has 149. Next to pass are, tied for 214th with 152, Janna and Ugly, the orc repossessing Belkar’s hit points in Dragon Magazine #341.
    Not surprisingly, Lutey has nothing to say, but now has appeared in-panel 624 times.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

#1245 reveals that Serini is friends with not only a mimic, but also a piercer called Franklin. Now we may have to retroactively add Franklin to #1240 and #1238 too.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2021-10-05 at 02:46 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For 1245 Sales Boom Imminent:

Belkar Bitterleaf +1 (1244, 16 Sep 2021) +59 words
    Elan +1 (1244, 16 Sep 2021) +0 words
    Franklin +1 (First appearance)
    Haley Starshine +1 (1244, 16 Sep 2021) +21 words
    Serini Toormuck +1 (1244, 16 Sep 2021) +34 words
    Sunny +1 (1244, 16 Sep 2021) +0 words
    Vaarsuvius +1 (1244, 16 Sep 2021) +52 words

There were also a few sound effects:
    - This is the second instance of an audible ‘blink,’ the first time being 1240.
    - This is the first ‘SHLUMK’ we’ve heard.
    - I see this as the 14th ‘Chomp,’ the previous one being in 1242. The first time was back in 542.
    - This is also the first ‘FUMPF’ so far.

Haley is in 2nd place with 40,046 words.
    Elan is in 3rd with 35,780.
    Belkar is in 4th with 34,346.
    Vaarsuvius is in 5th with 28,308.
    Serini stays in 44th place with 1,514. She is between Hel, who has 1,424 words and the undifferentiated Demon Roaches who collectively have 1,665 words.
    Sunny stays in 216th with 151, ahead of [b]Kandro[/], who has 149, and just behind Janna and Ugly, the orc repossessing Belkar’s hit points in Dragon Magazine #341, each of whom has 152 words.
    Franklin has nothing to say so far.

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    #1245 reveals that Serini is friends with not only a mimic, but also a piercer called Franklin. Now we may have to retroactively add Franklin to #1240 and #1238 too.
    I looked carefully at the stalactites in 1238 and 1240, and I don’t think any of them are Franklin. What I see here is a large stalactite in the left, with a smaller one on the right. None of the stalactites shown in the previous comics exactly matches, unless there is a camera angle shift or lighting change that affects the shadows enough to qualify. That being said, though, I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Yxylu; 2021-10-05 at 09:01 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Okay, sorry for the delays (again), everyone. I've been recovering from laser eye surgery (which was successful! my vision is now better than 20/20) so it's been tough to get in much screen time and work. I actually updated the thread last night but was too tired to even make a post about it!

Additionally, a HUGE thank-you to LuisDantas, who made a smilie for every missing character! This thread is finally back to normal after the Great Smilie Purge.

Anyway, without further ado...

Updated through 1244
    Belkar Bitterleaf (calmed), Elan, Haley Starshine (charmed), Serini Toormuck (seen invisible), Sunny, Vaarsuvius (in Sending spell)

Updated through 1245
    Belkar Bitterleaf, Elan, Franklin, Haley Starshine, Serini Toormuck, Sunny, Vaarsuvius

Serini is no longer tied for #87 in page appearances with the Ancient Black Dragon and Girard Draketooth (each with 21 appearances). The latter two have fallen to #88.

Niu, the Creed of the Stone Usher with Sandy Hair, Oona, Roy's Archon and Windstriker, which were tied for #82 at 22 appearances each, fall to #83.

Serini, who now has 23 appearances, is currently tied for #73 with *takes breath* Cedrik, Haruna Sato, High Priestess of Odin, Kraagor, Lee, Lirian, Nero, Phil Rodriguez and Wrecan.

Quote Originally Posted by Yxylu View Post
    Mimi the mimic is visible in the bottom corner of the first panel.
    Added, thanks! To be honest, I completely forgot Mimi counted as a character at all. Her appearances should be updated now. I gave her one for #1237 (we agree that she appears there, even though at the time we just thought she was a rock, right?), one for #1238 (plus a bonus blue +1), one for #1241 and one for #1243.

Quote Originally Posted by Izandai View Post
    Well, that's just weird. Great catch, though! That's been fixed.

Upon examination, I think I must have copied and pasted Ganonron's entry, which is right below hers, and then forgotten to change the URL when I changed the other information. I've checked the other vampires in the OP to see if I made the same mistake anywhere else; luckily, it seems that I didn't.

I looked carefully at the stalactites in 1238 and 1240, and I don’t think any of them are Franklin. What I see here is a large stalactite in the left, with a smaller one on the right. None of the stalactites shown in the previous comics exactly matches, unless there is a camera angle shift or lighting change that affects the shadows enough to qualify. That being said, though, I could be wrong.
    I spent a few minutes poring over those comics as well, and it really doesn't look like there are any plausible matches. I think you're right; this really does seem to be Franklin's actual first appearance.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-10-07 at 04:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For 1246 Hole in the Wall:

Belkar Bitterleaf +1 (1245, 4 Oct 2021) +4 words
    Elan +1 (1245, 4 Oct 2021) +12 words
    Haley Starshine +1 (1245, 4 Oct 2021) +43 words
    Serini Toormuck +1 (1245, 4 Oct 2021) +12 words
    Sunny +1 (1245, 4 Oct 2021) +72 words
    Vaarsuvius +1 (1245, 4 Oct 2021) +24 words

There was also one sound effect:
    - This is the first instance of “ZZAAP!” in the comic so far. Back in 626 (panel 3), there was a “ZZAAP!!”, but today was the first with one exclamation mark.

Haley is in 2nd place with 40,089 words.
    Elan is in 3rd with 35,792.
    Belkar is in 4th with 34,350.
    Vaarsuvius is in 5th with 28,332.
    Serini still stays in 44th place with 1,526. She is between Hel, who has 1,424 words and the undifferentiated Demon Roaches who collectively have 1,665 words.
    Sunny, with 223 words, leaps from 216th place all the way to 161st, above Tinna (222) and below the Summoned Planetar (225) from How the Paladin Got His Scar.
    Last edited by Yxylu; 2021-10-14 at 08:36 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Updated through 1246
    Belkar Bitterleaf, Elan, Haley Starshine, Serini Toormuck, Sunny, Vaarsuvius

A pretty simple one today. Sunny is getting closer to becoming a Recurring Character, though. She's now appeared on (at least) 11 pages, tying her for 156th place with 4e!Belkar Bitterleaf, Dragon, Elan's Mother, Hieronymous Grubwiggler, High Priest of Loki, Lockpicking Thief, Logann's Mother, Rich Burlew, Shirra's Sons, Solt's Donkey, Tinna, Vaarsuvius's Horse, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head and Vampire Dwarf with Purple Dress.

Serini, who has just appeared on her 24th page, is now tied for #71 with Odin and Vampire Dwarf with Blue Curly Hair. Cedrik, Haruna Sato, High Priestess of Odin, Kraagor, Lee, Lirian, Nero, Phil Rodriguez and Wrecan, each with 23 page appearances, fall to 74th place.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, sorry for the delays (again), everyone. I've been recovering from laser eye surgery (which was successful! my vision is now better than 20/20) so it's been tough to get in much screen time and work. I actually updated the thread last night but was too tired to even make a post about it!
    Emanick: Laser-eyed Character Counter
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-10-14 at 10:30 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Pardon the intrusion but this seems like the best place to ask, does anyone have a complete list of all the appearances of V's various hand spells? Want to look through and see what he's done where.
    Last edited by Carl; 2021-10-25 at 07:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Pardon the intrusion but this seems like the best place to ask, does anyone have a complete list of all the appearances of V's various hand spells? Want to look through and see what he's done where.
    I have it up to a certain point, but i don't believe there's been a lot of recent castings. I keep a spell compendium, though its been a bit since i've posted in it:

Bixby’s Crushing Hand

Bugsby’s Cat Retrieving Hand

Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit

Bugsby’s Flicking Finger

Bugsby's Forceful Hand

Bugsby’s Grasping Hand
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For 1247 Lurking Below:

Belkar Bitterleaf +1 (1246, 14 Oct 2021) +40 words
    Haley Starshine +1 (1246, 14 Oct 2021) +46 words
    Lurker Above +1 (First appearance in comic; appeared in the 2017 Monsters Calendar, in September. Once this gets a name, I’ll differentiate the two.)
    Serini Toormuck +1 (1246, 14 Oct 2021) +16 words
    Vaarsuvius +1 (1246, 14 Oct 2021) +154 words

I’m pretty sure 3.5 treats green slime as a hazard or trap, rather than a creature, so I’m not counting that. Yet.

There were also six different sound effects:
    - This is the first instance of “whooooze!”
    - This is the first instance of “PIZZH!”
    - This is the first instance of “SPLOOP!”
    - There are 123 panels with one or more “pop” sounds. The most instances per panel are in 643, where two panels have 15 each.
    - This is the first instance of “SHLUNK!”
    - This is the first “ROM” or “NOM,” together or apart.

Haley is in 2nd place with 40,136 words.
    Belkar is in 4th with 34,390.
    Vaarsuvius is in 5th with 28,485.
    Serini still stays in 44th place with 1,542. She is between Hel, who has 1,424 words and the undifferentiated Demon Roaches who collectively have 1,665 words.
    Lurker Above hasn’t said anything yet. I’m counting the “ROM NON NOM” as a sound effect, rather than a vocalization as such.
    Last edited by Yxylu; 2021-11-01 at 04:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Updated through 1247
    Belkar Bitterleaf, Haley Starshine, Serini Toormuck, Vaarsuvius

Serini has now appeared on 25 pages, which takes her from being tied for #71 with Odin and Vampire Dwarf with Blue Curly Hair to being tied for #69 with Mateo and Thirden. Odin and Vampire Dwarf with Blue Curly Hair drop to a joint 72nd place.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    No need for a pardon, this is absolutely the best place to ask.

TheWombatOfDoom did a good job of covering most of the bases, although there's at least two other examples I can recall: Bugsby's Grasping Hand is used to restrain Belkar here and it also appears to be used to "do stonemasonry" here.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-11-02 at 02:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Updated through 1247

Serini has now appeared on 25 pages, which takes her from being tied for #71 with Odin and Vampire Dwarf with Blue Curly Hair to being tied for #69 with Mateo and Thirden. Odin and Vampire Dwarf with Blue Curly Hair drop to a joint 72nd place.

No need for a pardon, this is absolutely the best place to ask.

TheWombatOfDoom did a good job of covering most of the bases, although there's at least two other examples I can recall: Bugsby's Grasping Hand is used to restrain Belkar here and it also appears to be used to "do stonemasonry" here.
    Ah yes, that reminds me I have a list of unidentified hand spells. Those are among them, as well as:

V's Undefined Bigby's/Bixby's/Bugsby's Hands
    397 (hand?)
    427 (hand?)
    690 (hand?)
    896 (hand?)
    932 (hand?)
    932 (hand?)
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

20. - Top - End - #290
    Pixie in the Playground

For Lurking Below (it won't let me quote your link yet):

Belkar Bitterleaf +1 (1246, 14 Oct 2021) +40 words
    Haley Starshine +1 (1246, 14 Oct 2021) +46 words
    Lurker Above +1 (First appearance in comic; appeared in the 2017 Monsters Calendar, in September. Once this gets a name, I’ll differentiate the two.)
    Serini Toormuck +1 (1246, 14 Oct 2021) +16 words
    Vaarsuvius +1 (1246, 14 Oct 2021) +154 words

I’m pretty sure 3.5 treats green slime as a hazard or trap, rather than a creature, so I’m not counting that. Yet.

There were also six different sound effects:
    - This is the first instance of “whooooze!”
    - This is the first instance of “PIZZH!”
    - This is the first instance of “SPLOOP!”
    - There are 123 panels with one or more “pop” sounds. The most instances per panel are in 643, where two panels have 15 each.
    - This is the first instance of “SHLUNK!”
    - This is the first “ROM” or “NOM,” together or apart.

Haley is in 2nd place with 40,136 words.
    Belkar is in 4th with 34,390.
    Vaarsuvius is in 5th with 28,485.
    Serini still stays in 44th place with 1,542. She is between Hel, who has 1,424 words and the undifferentiated Demon Roaches who collectively have 1,665 words.
    Lurker Above hasn’t said anything yet. I’m counting the “ROM NON NOM” as a sound effect, rather than a vocalization as such.
    Thank you, father! It's interesting how your method of counting stuff differs from other people. And wow, there are a lot of fun sound effects in this one!

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Imo, if the Lurker Above doesn't make any sounds aside from lots of nonspecific ROMs and NOMs that appear to be language-like, they should be counted as speech. But, for the moment, it might speak Common just by chance.

-Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Updated through 1248

Serini has now appeared on 26 pages, which takes her from being tied for #69 with Mateo and Thirden to being tied for #66 with Jones, Julia Greenhilt and Pangtok. Mateo and Thirden drop to a joint 70th place.

First time in a while that the same set of characters have appeared in two consecutive strips, I think, although that may change if the fake floor (can it be identified as a specific creature? I don't know too many non-core monsters) gets a second appearance next strip. (Edit: Discord says it's a Trapper - does that sound right?)
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-11-16 at 09:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For 1248 More Basic than Cantrips:

Belkar Bitterleaf +1 (1247, 1 Nov 2021) +39 words
    Haley Starshine +1 (1247, 1 Nov 2021) +88 words
    Serini Toormuck +1 (1247, 1 Nov 2021) +18 words
    Trapper +1 (First appearance in comic; appeared in the 2017 Monsters Calendar, in September. If this gets a name, I’ll differentiate the two.)
    Vaarsuvius +1 (1247, 1 Nov 2021) +153 words

There were also three different sound effects:
    - The “POP” is fairly common. I count 128 panels with it, several having multiple instances.
    - “SHTUNK” is less common, appearing 5 times by itself, and once with “SCHINT.”
    - This is the first online appearance of “tap.” It only ever appeared before in one of the bonus Dragon Magazine comics (Elan’s castanets) and the Dancing Sword card from the board game.

Haley is in 2nd place with 40,223 words.
    Belkar is in 4th with 34,429.
    Vaarsuvius is in 5th with 28,683.
    Serini still stays in 44th place with 1,560. She is between Hel, who has 1,424 words and the undifferentiated Demon Roaches who collectively have 1,665 words.
    Trapper goes from tied for 1105th with zero words, to tied for 994th, with 2. I’m not going to list all of those.

(Edit: Discord says it's a Trapper - does that sound right?)
    Yup. It’s one of those “everything you see is trying to kill you” monsters from way back.
    Last edited by Yxylu; 2021-11-16 at 09:47 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Updated through 1249
    Belkar Bitterleaf, Haley Starshine, Lien, O-Chul, Serini Toormuck, Vaarsuvius

Serini has graduated from being a Recurring Character to being a Supporting Character! (Although so far, she hasn't exactly been supportive...)

Lien, who has now appeared on 73 pages, is about to tie Bandana for 23rd place. O-Chul, who has now appeared on 162 pages, continues to be far ahead of her, all the way up at 12th place. With luck, he will soon rise to the lofty rank of Major Character, as he so richly deserves.

Serini has now appeared on 27 pages, bringing her from a tie for 66th place to a tie for 60th place. She shares her new spot with Bozzok, the Empress of Blood, Hel, Jirix, Laurin Shattersmith and Loki. Jones, Julia Greenhilt and Pangtok, with a mere 26 page appearances, fall to 67th place.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For 1249 Rate a Leaving:

Belkar Bitterleaf +1 (1248, 16 Nov 2021) +8 words
    Haley Starshine +1 (1248, 16 Nov 2021) +30 words
    Lien +1 (1229, 17 Mar 2021) +25 words
    O-Chul +1 (1229, 17 Mar 2021) +52 words
    Serini Toormuck +1 (1248, 16 Nov 2021) +127 words
    Vaarsuvius +1 (1248, 16 Nov 2021) +0 words

There was also a sound effect:
    - The “POP” appeared in the last comic, and in 128 other panels.

Haley is in 2nd place with 40,253 words.
    Belkar is in 4th with 34,437.
    O-Chul comfortably in 10th place with 10,129 words. He is above Hinjo (9,240) and below Tarquin (11,366).
    Lien is in 21st place with 4,102, putting her between Thor (4,331) and Right-Eye (3,761).
    Serini still stays in moves up two places to 42nd with 1,687 words. This puts her between Gannji (1,815) and the Oracle of the Sunken Valley (1,680)

As an aside, does anyone know of anywhere that has a listing (with images, if possible) of all the various Christmas ornaments, magnets, t-shirts, and other physical merchandise? I would be interested in adding those to my count, but I only have limited access to the Roy magnet and the current ornaments, plus what is available right now for the t-shirts.
    Last edited by Yxylu; 2021-11-28 at 07:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For 1250 Dive In:

Belkar Bitterleaf +1 (1249, 26 Nov 2021) +20 words
    Haley Starshine +1 (1249, 26 Nov 2021) +141 words
    Lien +1 +1 (1249, 26 Nov 2021) +5 words
    O-Chul +1 (1249, 26 Nov 2021)
    Razor +1 (672, 8 Aug 2009 - 12 years!)
    Serini Toormuck +1 +1 (1249, 26 Nov 2021) +152 words
    Vaarsuvius +1 (1249, 26 Nov 2021)

There was also a sound effect:
    - The “POP” appeared in the last comic, and in 129 other panels.

Haley is in 2nd place with 40,394 words.
    Belkar is in 4th with 34,457.
    O-Chul said nothing, and remains in 10th place with 10,129.
    Lien stays in 21st place with 4,107, keeping her between Thor (4,331) and Right-Eye (3,761).
    Serini moves ahead of Gannji (1,815) with her 1,839 words, putting her in 41st place right behind Kubota (1,888).
    Razor still has not said anything, putting him in a 910-way tie for 1,106th place.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Razor +1 (672, 8 Aug 2009 - 12 years!)
    Don't you mean "Ray Zergo"?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

28. - Top - End - #298
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Don't you mean "Ray Zergo"?
    It’s nice he’s got a last name now. Makes it seem more official. If he’s only going to show up every 12 years may as well get as much mileage as he can.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Updated through 1250
    Belkar Bitterleaf, Haley Starshine, Lien (+1), O-Chul, Razor, Serini Toormuck (+1), Vaarsuvius

Lien has now appeared on 75 pages, surpassing Bandana and taking 23rd place! (Actually, she did this last strip, but I seem to have made an arithmetic error in my personal tracking sheet.)
    Serini has now appeared on 29 pages, leapfrogging over Enor and Kwesi, who fall to a joint 59th place. Bozzok, the Empress of Blood, Hel, Jirix, Laurin Shattersmith and Loki - the six most underrated villains in the comic, surely - who were formerly tied with Serini, fall to a joint 61st place. Serini is now tied for 54th place with Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator, Felix, Gannji and Ho Thanh.

A very Merry Christmas to those of you that celebrate it, and extremely Happy Holidays to those that do not! It's been a true honor to run this thread throughout its first full year, and if there aren't any more comics between now and the New Year, I'd like to thank you all for helping to make this ridiculously nerdy enterprise as pleasant as it has been.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For 1251 Bite Sized:

Belkar Bitterleaf +1 +1 (1250, 13 Dec 2021) +56 words
    Haley Starshine +1 +1 (1250, 13 Dec 2021) +41 words
    Lien +1 (1250, 13 Dec 2021) +61 words
    O-Chul +1 (1250, 13 Dec 2021) +8 words
    Razor +1 +1 (1250, 13 Dec 2021)
    Serini Toormuck +1 +1 (1250, 13 Dec 2021) +71 words
    Vaarsuvius +1 +1 (1250, 13 Dec 2021) +34 words

There were also four sound effects:
    - “CHOMP!” has appeared 11 times on-line, plus once each in the Gygax Magazine, Haleo and Julelan, How the Paladin Got His Scar, and Realm of the Dragon from SSaDT.
    - "FLOP" makes its first appearance.
    - 'POOF!" appears in 36 on-line panels, including up to seven times in one panel (comic 1117), plus thirteen other appearances in various media, most in Start of Darkness.
    - WUNK!" appears 8 times, five of them on-line, and one in 1170c, one in Start of Darkness, and one in HtPGHS.

Haley is in 2nd place with 40,435 words.
    Belkar is in 4th with 34,513.
    Vaarsuvius is in 5th with 28,672.
    O-Chul remains in 10th place with 10,137.
    Lien stays in 21st place with 4,168, keeping her between Thor (4,331) and Right-Eye (3,761).
    Serini moves ahead of Kubota (1,888) into 40th place with 1,910, right behind Crystal (1,915).
    Razor still has not said anything, putting him in a 910-way tie for 1,106th place.