New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Legality of Posts

Is it ok to write "God" and not "god" or is it talking about religion ?
    thank for moving it whoever did that.
    Last edited by el minster; 2020-05-19 at 12:35 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Legality of Posts

Depends on the context. If you use capital 'G' God to refer to the god of a real religion then yes, it is forbidden. If you use it to refer to the god of a fictional religion then it is fine.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    Is it ok to write "God" and not "god" or is it talking about religion ?
    thank for moving it whoever did that.
    The line is between fiction and real life. Durkon worships a god, Thor. You can write about that god as much as you want. But you cannot discuss anything about the gods worshiped (now, or at any time in the past) in reality.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-05-19 at 07:29 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The line is between fiction and real life. Durkon worships a god, Thor. You can write about that god as much as you want. But you cannot discuss anything about the gods worshiped (now, or at any time in the past) in reality.

Grey Wolf
    I'm not talking about real and fake religions. I'm talking about the difference between "oh my god" and talking about real religions.
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not talking about real and fake religions. I'm talking about the difference between "oh my god" and talking about real religions.
    I'd say that falls under the "When it doubt, don't" rule of thumb. I like to use "By Thor's sake" myself in similar circumstances.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-05-19 at 10:31 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #6
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Don't so that. Unless you are very clearly talking about a fictional deity, just don't. It doesn't matter whether it's an exclamation, question, or declaration. It doesn't matter if it's pro-, con-, or indifferent. Just steer clear of real world religion references (of any era, area, or whatever).
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'd say that falls under the "When it doubt, don't" rule of thumb. I like to use "By Thor's sake" myself in similar circumstances.
    Sheriff: The first sentence is a good idea. The second...I wouldn't even do that unless it's somehow very clear you mean a certain fictional version of Thor. Norse gods were, and in some sense still are, figures worshipped in the real world.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Ogre: While I can't speak for all the Mod Team, I personally have a Thor's Hammer tattoo'd on my body, and one of Odin's Ravens (the other is on hold until money magically appears). So, I tend to take a dim view of the "Old religions are exempt" point of view some folks like to trot out. Want to talk D&D Thor? Sure. OotS Thor? No problem. MCU Thor? Go right ahead. But if you start talking "What people actually believed" or "Well, in the REAL WORLD", you're gonna get a warning, at least.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.