New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: MitD XIV: High In Protean

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Remind me, the case for the Ha-Naga is "I want it to be and therefore any contradictory evidence can be discarded"?
    There's the fluff text implying it has glowing eyes. Other than that, it's probably easier to check 3Power's own list to see what they consider the strong and weak points of the Ha-Naga and other candidates.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    There's the fluff text implying it has glowing eyes. Other than that, it's probably easier to check 3Power's own list to see what they consider the strong and weak points of the Ha-Naga and other candidates.
    For simplicity's sake:
    Ha-Naga
    27 STR
    Wish
    Earthquake
    Horrifying abberation with beautiful human face.
    Not listed as speaking any language.
    Lack of arms suggests difficulty pulling.
    Knowledge(Arcana/Religion/History) and Spellcraft ranks.
    Damage Reduction
    Two eyes
    Beast-like
    High CR
    Usually Chaotic Evil

The primary criticisms of it have already been responded to in this thread, here, here, and here

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3Power View Post
    For simplicity's sake:
    Ha-Naga
    27 STR
    Wish
    Earthquake
    Damage Reduction
    Two eyes
    Beast-like
    High CR
    Usually Chaotic Evil

The primary criticisms of it have already been responded to in this thread, here, here, and here
    I should point out that there's also the fact that the Ha-Naga is a Colossal creature if I'm not mistaken (so it wouldn't fit under the umbrella to an alarming degree), which further compounds the Strength problem if you want to shrink it down.
    I wrote my own thing on the size issue here.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2020-06-10 at 10:12 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Remind me, the case for the Ha-Naga is "I want it to be and therefore any contradictory evidence can be discarded"?
    Essentially, yes. It requires, at the very least, to ignore that it's not unrecognisable or even particularly revolting, it's not strong, it is hilariously oversized (being at least 50 feet taller than MitD and 125+ tons in weight), can't carry anything, speaks both common and abyssal, doesn't have feet to stomp with, and could have helped RC with raising undead. Literally the only thing it has going for it is it has access to Wish... but can't explain why it didn't Wish away the test goblin.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I should point out that there's also the fact that the Ha-Naga is a Colossal creature if I'm not mistaken (so it wouldn't fit under the umbrella to an alarming degree), which further compounds the Strength problem if you want to shrink it down.
    I largely disagree with the logic given, because D&D monsters DO show multiple size categories of growth for those where we have any information on juvenile forms.

Human growth simply isn't that relevant when we have multiple counter examples.

If a 12 year old giant is juvenile, then it has 2 size categories of growth to go. A 12 year old dragon is very young, combat capable, and grows 3-4 size categories from there.

OTOH, my logic doesn't really help the Ha-naga, because there's typically about 8 points of strength lost per reduced size category. If the MitD is a juvenile giant, then we need one with 46 strength as an adult to have a 30 strength juvenile (hypothetically, the MitD could have rolled an 18 for strength, that gives +8, but it then still needs a 38 as an adult if two categories down). Scale down for dragons is split over age categories, but it typically totals 8 strength per size category.

So, I don't see human scaling as relevant, but monstrous scaling examples show us that smaller, younger versions are weaker. 30 strength is bottom end for the MitD, Roy is nearly that strong, and we don't see him knocking people through stone walls by hitting lightly.

If tMitD is smaller because he's younger, then he should probably also be weaker because he's younger and smaller, and the adult needs truly absurd strength.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Size was addressed in the first link.
    it's not unrecognisable
    Subjective. We have no way of knowing what the average circus goer would recognize.
    or even particularly revolting,
    Subjective. We have no way of knowing what the average circus goer would find revolting. We do know that MitD had mixed reactions and that naga are aberrations though.
    it's not strong
    Subjective. It is stronger than a level 20 PC and we have seen gross exaggerations of STR in the comic before, such as the 10 STR housecat.
    it is hilariously oversized (being at least 50 feet taller than MitD and 125+ tons in weight)
    This is true, but several hints were given that MitD is smaller than normal, and any assumptions as to what rules Rich may or may have not used to accomplish that are subjective.
    can't carry anything
    Subjective. Naga are well established as using telekinetic spells to carry objects, and you can't simply assume they CAN'T use their tails.
    , speaks both common and abyssal,
    Falsehood. It is oddly, and strangely, not mentioned as speaking any language. In fact, the only difference between a ha-naga and a faerunian ha-naga is that a faerunian ha-naga does speak languages. In contrast, the Protean speaks and understands the language of every other creature in existance, as well as their own language which is ever changing, yet for some reason I'm the only one that ever brings up that little drawback.
    doesn't have feet to stomp with
    A stomp is merely the roach's subjective opinion of what MiTD is doing.
    , and could have helped RC with raising undead.
    The seriousness and implications of RC's comment are subjective.
    Literally the only thing it has going for it is it has access to Wish... but can't explain why it didn't Wish away the test goblin.
    Falsehood. Several explanations for that scene have already been presented and even re-linked in my previous post. The most noteworthy of which is the precedent for emotion-based sorcerous manifestation established by Xykon.

If tMitD is smaller because he's younger, then he should probably also be weaker because he's younger and smaller, and the adult needs truly absurd strength.
    Or he could just have his adult strength because his species "doesn't have stats for various stages of growth."

7. - Top - End - #127

Flumph

Subjective. We have no way of knowing what the average circus goer would recognize.

Subjective. We have no way of knowing what the average circus goer would find revolting. We do know that MitD had mixed reactions and that naga are aberrations though.
    We now do know that Belkar knows what a naga is though (or at least that they don't have toenails). He is not exactly the studious type, so that implies a naga is not a terribly obscure monster.
    Also, the guy in the wizard robes in the audience says he has "never seen anything like it before". Even if he is not familiar with the naga he would probably be familiar with regular snakes at least.

Falsehood. It is oddly, and strangely, not mentioned as speaking any language. In fact, the only difference between a ha-naga and a faerunian ha-naga is that a faerunian ha-naga does speak languages. In contrast, the Protean speaks and understands the language of every other creature in existance, as well as their own language which is ever changing, yet for some reason I'm the only one that ever brings up that little drawback.
    Do you have a source for this? I vaguely recall it being debated before but I don't recall the exact wordings referenced. I only have access to what is posted online and that doesn't mention anything about languages that I can find.

A stomp is merely the roach's subjective opinion of what MiTD is doing.
    And the sound effect illustrating what the MitD is doing to create the earthquake

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Do you have a source for this? I vaguely recall it being debated before but I don't recall the exact wordings referenced. I only have access to what is posted online and that doesn't mention anything about languages that I can find.
    On the Ha-Naga side, D20 doesn't list languages for any monster (at least in any of the epic monsters that definitely can talk that I bothered to check - netiher epic dragons nor titans have languages listed, and the claim they too can't talk is obviously ridiculous in the face of it), so his claim they have none is suspect, given that both nagas and ha-nagas elsewhere in less-reliable webpages do have those two listed.

On the protean side, pretty much every page I can find copy-pastes the same description for their language, "Even their language is mutable, evolving so quickly that few outsiders can understand it without magical aid. ". I.e. to outsiders, it is nonsense sounds, so it is surprising MitD is talking sense, and in common no less.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-11 at 08:50 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    On the Ha-Naga side, D20 doesn't list languages for any monster (at least in any of the epic monsters that definitely can talk that I bothered to check - netiher epic dragons nor titans have languages listed, and the claim they too can't talk is obviously ridiculous in the face of it), so his claim they have none is suspect, given that both nagas and ha-nagas elsewhere in less-reliable webpages do have those two listed.
    The epic dragons page says right at the top, "All epic dragons speak Draconic"; and elder titans have the Polyglot feat so they can speak/read/write all languages.

Not mentioning these things directly in each monster entry is, of course, bad horrible horribad presentation straight out of the 3.0 Epic Level Handbook; and the Ha-Naga's lack of a "X do not speak" line like yrthak have, means it's unclear whether Ha-Naga intentionally don't speak or whether this was an editing oversight...particularly since the standard nagas in the 3.0 SRD don't have listed languages either.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The epic dragons page says right at the top, "All epic dragons speak Draconic"; and elder titans have the Polyglot feat so they can speak/read/write all languages.

Not mentioning these things directly in each monster entry is, of course, bad horrible horribad presentation straight out of the 3.0 Epic Level Handbook; and the Ha-Naga's lack of a "X do not speak" line like yrthak have, means it's unclear whether Ha-Naga intentionally don't speak or whether this was an editing oversight...particularly since the standard nagas in the 3.0 SRD don't have listed languages either.
    3.5 SRD, Monsters, Reading the Entries includes: "Intelligence: A creature can speak all the languages mentioned in its description, plus one additional language per point of Intelligence bonus. Any creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher understands at least one language (Common, unless noted otherwise)."

OotS uses 3.5 rules.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    3.5 SRD, Monsters, Reading the Entries includes: "Intelligence: A creature can speak all the languages mentioned in its description, plus one additional language per point of Intelligence bonus. Any creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher understands at least one language (Common, unless noted otherwise)."
    (link)

Although this opens a whole new can of worms. It seems that the behemoth eagle speaks 3 languages?

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-11 at 02:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Although this opens a whole new can of worms.
    Starting with where restrictions on bonus languages are supposed to tie in; followed by what it's supposed to mean if a list isn't supplied because an entry doesn't have an "X as characters" section; followed by "wait, does this mean MitD' species' average Int is 11 or less, because otherwise they'd be assumed to be able to speak a language so it wouldn't surprise the game hunters that he can speak"?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    followed by "wait, does this mean MitD' species' average Int is 11 or less, because otherwise they'd be assumed to be able to speak a language so it wouldn't surprise the game hunters that he can speak"?
    Look, my two top guesses (IMnpHO) have iron clad reasons why it'd be surprising they talked and in common no less regardless of how many languages they can actually speak, so I'm all for this now. On this irrelevant hill I shall plant my flag!

Grey Wolf

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

(link)

Although this opens a whole new can of worms. It seems that the behemoth eagle speaks 3 languages?

GW
    Avian, Common and Esperanto

On a more serious note, it would make sense if different cultures of Behemoth Eagle speak different languages and any given one understands two nearby dialects, but that's a game-by-game matter and not one that would come into play here.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2020-06-11 at 03:43 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

(link)

GW
    specifically, it says per modifier. so from int 3-11 it'll have one, and at 12 it gains a second

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArkenBrony View Post
    specifically, it says per modifier. so from int 3-11 it'll have one, and at 12 it gains a second
    Does this mean bilingual people are automatically a base INT 12 or higher
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2020-06-11 at 03:52 PM.

-Squire Doodad

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArkenBrony View Post
    No, it says per point of Intelligence bonus. 12 gives you one point of bonus, and you get another every two intelligence points; 17 int has a +3 bonus.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-11 at 03:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

I conclude that a Half-Green-Dragon Half-Green-Dragon Half-Green-Dragon Half-Green-Dragon Half-Green-Dragon Young Adult Green Dragon speaks a dozen languages, including Common, but has a strong speech impediment because of its grotesque facial features and exaggerated exaggerated exaggerated exaggerated exaggerated teeth.

Also look out, the MitD will appear in a strip very soon (after #1203 I actually expected to see him in #1204), at which point this thread will explode even if the MitD does nothing but stand in silence next to Xykon or Redcloak.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-06-11 at 04:01 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    I conclude that a Half-Green-Dragon Half-Green-Dragon Half-Green-Dragon Half-Green-Dragon Half-Green-Dragon Young Adult Green Dragon speaks a dozen languages, including Common, but has a strong speech impediment because of its grotesque facial features and exaggerated exaggerated exaggerated exaggerated exaggerated teeth.
    To quote Many a True Nerd, this eminently reasonable.

GW

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Look, my two top guesses (IMnpHO) have iron clad reasons why it'd be surprising they talked and in common no less regardless of how many languages they can actually speak, so I'm all for this now. On this irrelevant hill I shall plant my flag!

Grey Wolf
    [a deep, resonant voice in the sky announces "FLAG TAKEN" as Peelee scoots off back to his base in Blood Gulch]
    I think the speech impediment is also due to it trying to speak 6 dialects of Common all at once.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

We now do know that Belkar knows what a naga is though (or at least that they don't have toenails). He is not exactly the studious type, so that implies a naga is not a terribly obscure monster.
    Also, the guy in the wizard robes in the audience says he has "never seen anything like it before". Even if he is not familiar with the naga he would probably be familiar with regular snakes at least.
    Every monster is made up of familiar parts from ordinary creatures. It's inherently difficult, if not impossible to come up with a monster not based on any pre-existing creature. If we follow this logic there's nothing weird about a displacer beast because it's basically a cat, nor an illithid because it's basically an octopus, or a human. Either or.

Epic level handbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf
    On the Ha-Naga side, D20 doesn't list languages for any monster (at least in any of the epic monsters that definitely can talk that I bothered to check - netiher epic dragons nor titans have languages listed, and the claim they too can't talk is obviously ridiculous in the face of it),
    As already stated by other users, this is a falsehood. Epic dragons all speak draconic and elder titans have both the polyglot feat and speak language(any five). Meanwhile the Ha-naga is missing any sort of information about spoken languages in:
    A. The epic level handbook.
    B. The 3.5 update for epic level handbook
    C. The SRD
    And was only ever corrected in Serpent Kingdoms, with the faerunian ha-naga.
    so his claim they have none is suspect, given that both nagas and ha-nagas elsewhere in less-reliable webpages do have those two listed.
    Sources, if you please.

On the protean side, pretty much every page I can find copy-pastes the same description for their language, "Even their language is mutable, evolving so quickly that few outsiders can understand it without magical aid. ". I.e. to outsiders, it is nonsense sounds, so it is surprising MitD is talking sense, and in common no less.
    Once again, the verbatim text from the Epic Level Handbook reads:
    Hagunemnons have an ever-evolving language that changes so quickly that only another hagunemnon can understand it. They can speak and understand the language of any other creature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif
    I'm of the opinion that it's an oversight, but the fact that the entire creature was reprinted in Serpent Kingdoms as the Faerunian Ha-naga with the language as the only change is WEIRD. (Actually at this point I decided to take another look and discovered that it has 4 more HD and as such has two more feats, a few more/different skills and the Eschew materials feat as a bonus feat, which is something all the 3.5 naga also have.)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Every monster is made up of familiar parts from ordinary creatures.
    Ah yes. Now I'm reminded of #322, where Vaarsuvius meets an owlbear, and explains what a weird mixed up creature it is. It might be a riff on the stories (I don't know if they're true) on how when pioneers from Australia first sent the hide of a platypus home to Europe, people thought at first that it was a fake and such an animal didn't exist. The Phineas and Ferb tv show episode "Misperceived Monotreme" even has someone comment "It looks like a beaver-duck." about a platypus. A platypus, made from parts of a beaver, a mole, and a duck, would work great as a monster invented for D&D. A circus might even exhibit one in a freak show, if they find a way to feed it and keep it alive, which is probably much easier in the D&D world than in the real world.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

A platypus, made from parts of a beaver, a mole, and a duck
    And part ninja. Let’s not forget the little buggers have poison needles on their ankle because at this point why even bother to be realistic?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #144

Flumph

Every monster is made up of familiar parts from ordinary creatures. It's inherently difficult, if not impossible to come up with a monster not based on any pre-existing creature. If we follow this logic there's nothing weird about a displacer beast because it's basically a cat, nor an illithid because it's basically an octopus, or a human. Either or.
    That's one of the advantages of a Protean, it looks a lot weirder than a platypus.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

For simplicity's sake:
    Ha-Naga
    27 STR
    Wish
    Earthquake
    Damage Reduction
    Two eyes
    Beast-like
    High CR
    Usually Chaotic Evil

Sure, but 27 STR (inacceptably low) is a devastating flaw - one that some (many) would consider a deal-breaker.

Not all criteria are equal. A creature that's not fitting that well on a few counts is still a much better overall contender than one that just does not fit at all something we see in the comic, even if it fits everything else really well.

A Baby Ha-Naga (where Adult of Species = STR of 27) would not have been portrayed by Rich as effortlessly knocking Miko and Windstriker through a stone wall like that. No ifs and buts about this.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

26. - Top - End - #146

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    Sure, but 27 STR (inacceptably low) is a devastating flaw - one that some (many) would consider a deal-breaker.

Not all criteria are equal. A creature that's not fitting that well on a few counts is still a much better overall contender than one that just does not fit at all something we see in the comic, even if it fits everything else really well.

A Baby Ha-Naga (where Adult of Species = STR of 27) would not have been portrayed by Rich as effortlessly knocking Miko and Windstriker through a stone wall like that. No ifs and buts about this.
    This has been debated to death already. A lot of people feel even a normal-sized Ha-Naga is too weak to be the MitD and that shrinking it down several size categories would weaken it further. 3Power disagrees, and it seems very unlikely their position in the matter can be swayed. No real point to keep banging your head against that particular wall.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think strength required is hard to estimate.

Apart from the tower scene and Scruffy hitting the dog, there is Roy throwing the elder's spear into the wall and climbing on it.

What do you guys think would be an adequate strength for this.

I mean, you need that spear to STICK in a Wall, enough that an adult in metal Armour can climb.

I don't know if a machine (a spear shooting machine) designed exactly for that purpose could make that work.

My point is: the giant uses "comic physics" every now and then, not sure if calculating numbers from this is turning out too exact.

Are there any pictures of Ha Nagas that are disgusting?
    Yeah I know that's subjective, but the ones I Google were juuust snakes.
    Anything a little more disgusting?
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    My point is: the giant uses "comic physics" every now and then, not sure if calculating numbers from this is turning out too exact.
    We are not trying to be exact. We are, by consensus, using an arbitrary number (30) as a cut-off point to give a very generous lower limit to the strength displayed by MitD in the Tower Scene. It serves a simple purpose: to limit the number of creatures in consideration for the FBS list, and it does so as well as most of the other criteria: enough creatures fail that test it keeps the numbers in the FBS showcase low.

As I have often remarked, the purpose of the FBS rules are simply that: to highlight that there are strong creatures, and there are creatures with some form of teleportation, there are human-sized-ish creatures, and there are disgusting creatures... but there is surprisingly little overlap between all four, and that overlap has been at the core of the search space for this thread. Those wanting to look for further candidates then know to look for monsters that fulfil these (and the other) characteristics, and, hopefully in most cases it succeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Not that I have been able to find. When the monster description is "woman's face atop a snake body", I wouldn't even know where you'd make it disgusting. Snakes are remarkably beautiful, patterned and clean, creatures, and I suppose the women's face could be ugly, but there's not much room to make a human face truly disgusting.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-12 at 07:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149

BardGuy

Is there a forum hitch, or did I fall through a time vortex? If the latter I need to go invest in Zoom and stock up on some Nintendo Switches...

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As I have often remarked, the purpose of the FBS rules are simply that: to highlight that there are strong creatures, and there are creatures with some form of teleportation, there are human-sized-ish creatures, and there are disgusting creatures... but there is surprisingly little overlap between all four, and that overlap has been at the core of the search space for this thread. Those wanting to look for further candidates then know to look for monsters that fulfil these (and the other) characteristics, and, hopefully in most cases it succeeds.
    I am in agreement with the general sentiment of this statement but I tend to put more weight on the teleportation factor than STR (which fluctuates wildly) appearance (which we have gotten contradictory opinions on) and size (which it has been implied we should ignore.) I don't buy into the escape spell being anything less than a wish-equivalent spell and I think that should be the starting point for all potential candidates.

Not that I have been able to find. When the monster description is "woman's face atop a snake body", I wouldn't even know where you'd make it disgusting. Snakes are remarkably beautiful, patterned and clean, creatures, and I suppose the women's face could be ugly, but there's not much room to make a human face truly disgusting.
    I can't debate personal preference, I can only show how the possibility for contrary opinions exists.

There are only two pictures of the ha-naga (which is more than most creatures). But do me a favor and watch this.

I'm just trying to demonstrate how the possibility for an unsettling reaction to a snake with a face exists.