New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Odlark's Farm [Reavers of Magog]

Here's a link to the OOC thread.

There is a prosperous farm outside the half-ruined city of Kint. The king of the city, Odlark, wants possession of the farm. But the farmer has a large and belligerent household. The king wants you to persuade the farmer to give over the farm - with minimal loss of life or property.

You stand in the mud, at the foot of a hillside covered with rows of broccoli. A few hands move among the rows, harvesting the good heads. You can see the high fence that encloses the farmstead at the top of the hill. You don't see any guards.

What do you do?

What have you done to prepare?
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2022-01-01 at 05:29 PM.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Odlark's Farm [Reavers of Magog]

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbius View Post

There is a prosperous farm outside the half-ruined city of Kint. The king of the city, Odlark, wants possession of the farm. But the farmer has a large and belligerent household. The king wants you to persuade the farmer to give over the farm - with minimal loss of life or property.

You stand in the mud, at the foot of a hillside covered with rows of broccoli. A few hands move among the rows, harvesting the good heads. You can see the high fence that encloses the farmstead at the top of the hill. You don't see any guards.

What do you do?

What have you done to prepare?
    To prepare for this Ben Miller tried to make a mind control device. If that doesn't work or is impossible ben just brings his micro gun incase of a fight breaking out. He also has his latest attempt at a tank at the outskirts in case if he needs to escape.

Standing in the mud gives ben a gross feeling. "ewww! I swear i should be used to this by now. but mud is just so gross! ben sighs and then says in a annoyed voice "let's just get this over with. 1st let's go over the plan. You start simon.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

We should probably have a ooc thread.
    Last edited by Ameraaaaaa; 2021-12-23 at 09:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

To prepare, Simon carries in 2 small belt pouch, medical kit and drugs. Various knives are stored around him mostly hidden, a little notebook and 2 pens in a chest pocket, and some fingerless gloves with "reinforced" knuckles are in the trousers back pockets ready to slip on.

Simon chuckles at Ben's distaste for mud before covering some of the plans he'd thought on while getting there.
    "I think our first step should be checking in with a farm hand or two, see if we can find one with a bit of knowledge about the family or the farm. Break them in with basics of working conditions and pay as if we were thinking of working, but bring it round more to how the farm is doing, the family being OK, and any scraps of info we can use." Simon days, stepping into one of the lanes or broccoli, a slight curl of disgust cruises his face as he thinks of the taste.
    "if after that, then we go to the farm and see what their side of the story is. I don't imagine we'll change their mind but it depends what we find out. If we move to plan B, break their face, then we will need to be quick, they have numbers. If we get the chance during B to take a hostage, then using that as plan C may speed up the process and give minimal loss. Plans D, destroy the place, is a last resort and we'll do it following a 'retreat'. Did you have any additions?"

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by MaltholLoth View Post
    To prepare, Simon carries in 2 small belt pouch, medical kit and drugs. Various knives are stored around him mostly hidden, a little notebook and 2 pens in a chest pocket, and some fingerless gloves with "reinforced" knuckles are in the trousers back pockets ready to slip on.

Simon chuckles at Ben's distaste for mud before covering some of the plans he'd thought on while getting there.
    "I think our first step should be checking in with a farm hand or two, see if we can find one with a bit of knowledge about the family or the farm. Break them in with basics of working conditions and pay as if we were thinking of working, but bring it round more to how the farm is doing, the family being OK, and any scraps of info we can use." Simon days, stepping into one of the lanes or broccoli, a slight curl of disgust cruises his face as he thinks of the taste.
    "if after that, then we go to the farm and see what their side of the story is. I don't imagine we'll change their mind but it depends what we find out. If we move to plan B, break their face, then we will need to be quick, they have numbers. If we get the chance during B to take a hostage, then using that as plan C may speed up the process and give minimal loss. Plans D, destroy the place, is a last resort and we'll do it following a 'retreat'. Did you have any additions?"
    Ben thinks a bit before saying "i don't think so. It's a good plan. Though i can't remember if the mind control machine i tried to invent succeeded testing. That's what lack of sleep does i guess. If it did then we can also use that. Though otherwise you summed everything up. I'll check the bag to see if i brought the mind control device. If not then it means it failed testing and we follow your plan to a t.

Ben then checks his bag.
    Just a note i got adhd and autism.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"ah Ben, you really are a genius! I hope you brought it with, we could try it on a farm hand that proves to be awkward." Simon exclaims, holding out a hand to fist bump.

6. - Top - End - #6

"ah Ben, you really are a genius! I hope you brought it with, we could try it on a farm hand that proves to be awkward." Simon exclaims, holding out a hand to fist bump.
    Show

So do i have the mind control device? Do i need to make a roll to check? My next ic post depends on what my character finds in his bag afterall.

7. - Top - End - #7

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?640682-Odlark-s-Farm-OOC

Also, Ben should make a roll to find out the status of the mind control gadget:
    6- it failed testing but he didn't realize
    7-9 he found the defects and stuck it on the work bench for later rework
    10+ it will work - at least once

It starts to rain a little.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2021-12-24 at 10:31 AM.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    Mythistorical bundle

8. - Top - End - #8

Ben nervously groans "my bad. Not in the bag. Must of failed testing. Oh well. Your plan it is. So save that fist bump for after the job is done. I appreciate the sentiment though.

Ben tries to find and enter the entrance into the farm.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"aww nuts! It's ok, I'm sure we'll do it but first no mind control thing and now rain, I hope this is the worst of our luck" si says as he pulls up his collar. "at least there's enough farm hands about to not go searching, we'll start with the closest."

Show
    sorry for colour change, wasn't sure if all speech was to be blue or if you wanted different for different people, in which case I'm grabbing green 😉

10. - Top - End - #10

There is an easy-to-find path up between the rows of broccoli toward the obvious gate in the wooden palisade that surrounds the farmstead. As you pass each of the half-dozen farm hands who are cutting broccoli and stuffing it into rough sacks, they look up and greet you - "Hey" - "howdy" - "Wassup?" - "mornin"

Do you do anything before you reach the gate?
    Mythistorical bundle

11. - Top - End - #11

There is an easy-to-find path up between the rows of broccoli toward the obvious gate in the wooden palisade that surrounds the farmstead. As you pass each of the half-dozen farm hands who are cutting broccoli and stuffing it into rough sacks, they look up and greet you - "Hey" - "howdy" - "Wassup?" - "mornin"

Do you do anything before you reach the gate?
    Ben miller walks up to one of the farm hands and says "what's the working conditions and pay here?" ben turns his head with his hands in his pockets and winks at simon

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ameraaaaaa View Post
    Ben miller walks up to one of the farm hands and says "what's the working conditions and pay here?" ben turns his head with his hands in his pockets and winks at simon
    "and are they rough on ya like McRea... The last place we were at?"
    He half smiled and rubbed his left arm in pretence of an old injury.
    Last edited by MaltholLoth; 2021-12-27 at 08:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

"Hah," says the farm hand, and she grins, "Miss Kloomi's alright. Keeps us warm and fed ... when we're not in the fields." Her henna-red hair is French-braided and her face has faint lines. She glances up toward the rain that spatters down from the glowing pink sky. Licks a rain drop off her lip. "Salty today," she says.

"You looking for work?" she adds, as she severs a stem with her sturdy knife.
    Mythistorical bundle

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Hah," says the farm hand, and she grins, "Miss Kloomi's alright. Keeps us warm and fed ... when we're not in the fields." Her henna-red hair is French-braided and her face has faint lines. She glances up toward the rain that spatters down from the glowing pink sky. Licks a rain drop off her lip. "Salty today," she says.

"You looking for work?" she adds, as she severs a stem with her sturdy knife.
    "that's good to hear in this world, though the way you only say Miss Kloomi, are there others who are less so hospitable, 'cos she can't run all of this herself can she?" Simon says looking around. "though if others are as nice as you, exceptions can be made".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

a large burly man walks up. he has a rifle slung across his back, and a big knife at his waist. a bulging backpack is on his back, filled with all manner of things. "morning folks" he says, his eyes scanning the area with practiced repetition. this is clearly a man you do not want to cross, if thou dost value thy life and limbs.

16. - Top - End - #16

The farm hand looks anxiously at the rifle-wearing man who has just walked up. "Are you three together?" she asks. "I don't know whether Miss Kloomi will like this ... but I reckon you'd best go on up and say hi, before the watchers get anxious." She nods toward a rickety tower that stands above and behind the wooden palisade. You notice a couple of figures standing up there.
    Mythistorical bundle

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Arrr, that makes things a little tricky. Thanks for your help once again". Simon says as he bows to the lady before walking away towards the gate. "Ragnar, I think you turned up at just the right moment to settle my nerves from her pointing out the tower, did either of you boys count any others?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

"three is all i counted" ragnar says softly, fingering the hilt of the knife at his waistband

19. - Top - End - #19

As you head up the hill toward the gate, the other half-dozen farm hands watch you pass. You get a clearer look at the two watchers up in the tower. Each of them holds a long gun under their arm. They aren't drawing down on you, but they're obviously ready for anything.
    Mythistorical bundle

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Ragnar, how confident are you that you can take down those up there if we need to? And do you have anything we can use on a second tower? We don't want to fight our way out but let's keep prepared." Si quietly says as he walks trying to avoid being overheard. "Equally, Ben, if you spot some bits to put together that could do the job, that'd be great to know, so keep your eyes peeled".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

"pretty darn confident" rangar murmurs back

22. - Top - End - #22

"sup ragnar."

"Ragnar, how confident are you that you can take down those up there if we need to? And do you have anything we can use on a second tower? We don't want to fight our way out but let's keep prepared." Si quietly says as he walks trying to avoid being overheard. "Equally, Ben, if you spot some bits to put together that could do the job, that'd be great to know, so keep your eyes peeled".
    Ben nods.

23. - Top - End - #23

You get to the gate. It's open. There's nobody standing in your way. You walk through the gateway, noticing the palisade is about nine feet tall and made of rough-cut 2x6s driven into the ground somehow and cross-braced with more rough 2x12s.

The farm stead inside the palisade has several sturdy-looking buildings, they look like a big house, a barn for equipment, a milk barn, a hay barn, and a smithy. There's not any discernible activity in here. You feel eyes on you. Glancing up at the tower, you see the two silent watchers. A curtain moves on the second floor of the house.
    Mythistorical bundle

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"so far so good, let's see if that person inside wants to say hello". Simon says as he walks to the door, ready to knock.

25. - Top - End - #25

In response to a few polite knuckle-taps, the windowless steel door opens partway. A small and wiry grey-haired lady with a timeworn face stands at the opening, quickly looking you over.

"I'm Kloomi," she says brusquely. "What are your names? What do you want?"

Ragnar and Simon notice a couple of round splintery holes in the frame of the door.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2021-12-29 at 01:05 PM.
    Mythistorical bundle

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Ragnar will introduce himself, and watch her reaction. he keeps an eye on people, especially the two watchers in the tower

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Baring any sudden change in Kloomi's demeanour to the less favourable while we introduce ourselves, Simon introduces himself, waits for Ben to do likewise, then says: "We come, as I understand you have an issue and we're here to help! Might we come in to discuss things further, away from those who may not need to hear all?"

28. - Top - End - #28

Ben waves "sup. My name is ben. ben then stays silent with simple smile. better let simon do the talking since he is the best at it in the group he thinks

29. - Top - End - #29

Baring any sudden change in Kloomi's demeanour to the less favourable while we introduce ourselves, Simon introduces himself, waits for Ben to do likewise, then says: "We come, as I understand you have an issue and we're here to help! Might we come in to discuss things further, away from those who may not need to hear all?"
    {I'm going to want a roll for that, straight 2d6 as I don't think you've got any relevant calling or gift.

The risk (6-) is that she slams the door in your face, and then .... other stuff happens, maybe.

On a 7-9 I'll let you describe what you do to stop her slamming the door. There may be another roll on that.

10+, she welcomes you in to talk.}
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2021-12-29 at 08:56 PM.
    Mythistorical bundle

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

(2d6)[3]

Show
    crosses fingers... Oh this dice roll doesn't like me

"Thank you! We'll go get started then!" si half shouts in the hope that she normally like this and the tower guards will think it's normal. "ok boys, over to that workshop".
    Last edited by MaltholLoth; 2021-12-30 at 02:06 AM.