Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
Results 361 to 377 of 377
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrK's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Njal "Stormcaller"

    As the meaning of the Fey's words hit Njal he paled in horror. Nodding to the gnome he whispers, "Aye wee one. We have tae find the girl. These gates must nay'er be opened. No matter the cost." The last sentence betrays his concerns as he starts to consider if it may be necessary to do what is needed to make sure such a gate could never be unlocked and that no-one could attract back the elves of old.

    Casting his eye around the chamber one last time, a lingering look at the pulsing light of the horrific alien pool that is sure to give him nightmares he claps the gnome about the shoulders. "Aye, we must get the others, we must leave this place and catch her now." He pauses looking in the empty rooms. "We'll need all of us at maximum strength, we should rest in one of the chambers by the entrance. Let the others recover and then set out first thing. It'll be a long day tomorrow till we catch her."


    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    The gnome woman stares at the portal, saying nothing in response for a long while.

    "If she has come into her power we'll only catch her if she wants to be caught."

    Verglas turns to the task at hand.

    "We're safer here than anywhere else we've been on this trip Ramiro, how about we get you rolled up in some blankets?"
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

  3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Ramiro Sanda (To Verglas)
    You do not need to say that twice. (He already has his bedroll unfurled)
    Last edited by Novabomb; 2021-02-07 at 04:46 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    The gnome is unusually gentle with Ramiro, helping him bundle up and ensuring that he has water close at hand. Then she turns back to the guardian spirit with renewed vigor. Again, she makes a laborious effort to slow her speech, especially in these circumstances.

    "Please let me know if my questions offend, but I am very excited to speak with you, as the time of your creation is an era I have studied at some length. If I may ask, what is your name? When were you shaped? Have you been here your entire time, or did you relocate here? What was the facility like when the Old Ones were still here? What was this used for?"
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

  5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Late afternoon, Day 4

    Complication Dice 1 of 6

    The yuki-on-na seemed to consider the gnome afresh, tilting its head. I WAS NOT HERE, AND THEN I WAS. THIS PLACE WAS A WAYSTATION. A PLACE WHERE THINGS CAME BEFORE THEY TRAVELLED INTO OR WHERE THEY RESTED ON ARRIVAL, WAITING FOR COLLECTORS, FROM THE GATE. MANY THINGS I SAW COME FORTH. NONE MAY I NAME, BY THE WILL OF THOSE WHO BADE ME AND WHO BIND ME STILL. ONLY THOSE WHO CAME HERE BY THE PASSAGE, AND LEFT BY THE GATE. MANY CHILDREN CAME. MANY CHILDREN OF THE TUNNELS. SOME OF THE GNOMISH. MANY MORE OF THE HUMANS. MANY LEFT THROUGH THE PORTAL. MANY OF THEM WAITED IN ONE OF THESE STOREROOMS. THERE WAS MUCH NOISE WHILE THEY WAITED. TEARS. PRAYERS TO THE FATHER, THE MOTHER, THE FIREKEEPER. CRIES FOR PARENTS. AT TIMES, SINGING, AMONG THE BRAVEST CHILDREN, TO SOOTHE THE FRIGHTENED. The creature hovered in the air, hair still dancing. ALWAYS THEY CAME WITH A MASTER OF THE KITH'IN'SHERILLINAR CIRCLE. ALWAYS THEY DEPARTED WITH THE MASTER. AND THEN THERE WAS SILENCE. THEN MORE CHILDREN. AND THE NOISE WOULD BEGIN ONCE MORE.

    THEN THE MASTER CAME NO MORE. THERE WAS SILENCE, AND NOTHING CAME FROM THE PORTAL. BUT I SENSED OTHER PORTALS OPENING AND CLOSING, AS SPIDERS SENSE MOVEMENT IN THEIR WEB. I FELT STRANDS BREAKING. COLLAPSING. FELT THE HAND OF THOSE WITH THE ABILITY, THOSE OF THE INFERIORS, UPON THE DOORS. BUT NONE CAME HERE. THIS PART OF THE WEB WAS ... NOT KNOWN. AND AFTER THAT NOISE, AFTER THAT CACOPHONY, SILENCE AGAIN. SILENCE WHICH HAS REMAINED UNBROKEN. UNTIL THE YOUNG WOMAN CAME. AND LEFT BY THE PASSAGE.

    The creature turned and floated away up the hall. YOU SEEK THE YOUNG WOMAN, AND SO YOUR PRESENCE IS ... TOLERABLE. REST. ALL THE ROOMS ARE EMPTY, AND ANY WILL SERVE AS HOSTEL FOR YOU AND ANY MEMORIES THAT REMAIN IN THEM. THOSE WHO BADE ME BIND ME STILL, AND MY BINDING IS TO KEEP THIS PLACE FROM ENTRANCE.

  6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    Verglas nodded. She settled to sit cross-legged in front of the yuki-on-na, clearly hoping for a more in-depth conversation.

    "Your wisdom and kindness in sharing your memories is unparalled. Perhaps literally. Thank you.

    "May I ask more about the young woman who passed here? We were as panes of glass to you, our thoughts and motives open to you. Was it the same with her? And were you able to sense the earth-connection in her untouched, or is she able to make use of this power? And can you tell us anything of her goals and actions from you saw in her?"
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

  7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrK's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Njal "Stormcaller"

    Choosing a pair of rooms near the entrance he leads the horses into one room spreading out some blankets on the ground to let them lie and hanging a large bag of feed on the wall, eyeing the remaining 3 days food with some concern. Patting the steaming flanks of the horse he mutters. "Aye good lad, have a rest in the nice ancient ruin of the slavers...." Shuddering again at the surroundings he heads to the adjoining room and gets a small fire going with some wood and feed and fetches out a hunk of meat from his saddlebags.

    With meat sizzling on the flames in his small bivvy tin he looks at Ramiro and Roland. "An unusual place. The gnoe, she be liking the fey. I dinnae care for her. This place, smells of death and misery eh? Get you warm lad" he adds, wrapping Ramiro in another blanket, "Then we get out o'here. Be rid of this place and death it holds." With a wary eye he knows he will not sleep easy here, Gromnir growling and hackles raised at the unnatural nature of the place.

    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Late afternoon, Day 4

    Complication Dice 1 of 6

    The yuki-on-na turned to Verglas one last time. THE GIRL DOES NOT KNOW WHAT SHE IS. SHE COULD NOT. BUT SHE HAS THE ABILITY, AND SO I PERMITTED HER ENTRANCE. HER THOUGHTS WERE PLAIN. MUCH DESPAIR. MUCH FEAR. BUT OVERRIDING ALL ... DESIRE. HOPE. THESE SHE TIED IN HER THOUGHTS TO A YOUNG MAN. AS SHE DRIFTED TO SLEEP, SHE SAW ONLY HIS FACE. AND WITH HIS FACE, SHE SAW A PLACE, A PRIMITIVE PLACE OF CRUSHING SEED AND GRAIN. A PLACE WHERE A WALL LIES ACROSS A RIVER. SIMPLE THOUGHTS. PRIMITIVE THOUGHTS. NOTHING OF WHAT SHE IS, OR WHAT SHE COULD SEE HAD SHE ONE WHO COULD TEACH HER.

    The creature's smile was unsettling in the sunset light. YOU HAVE INTERESTED ME, GNOME. BECAUSE YOU SEEK THE GIRL, I HAVE ALLOWED YOU AND YOUR COMPANIONS PASSAGE. NO MORE I SUGGEST YOU ASK. THOSE WHO BADE ME BIND ME STILL, AND YOU RISK REACHING TO THOSE WORDS AND THOUGHTS THAT TELL ME TO DEFEND, TO SEND YOU ON. YOU SHOULD HAVE A CARE TO WHOM YOU TELL OF MY EXISTENCE. THEY WILL NOT FIND ME, AND IF THEY DO, THEY WILL FIND DEATH. THEREFORE, SLEEP, DAUGHTER OF THE GNOMISH. DAUGHTER OF MAIDSERVANTS TO THOSE WHO BADE ME. FIND THE YOUNG GIRL. BRING HER TO HER HOME. IF THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE BOUND TO DO, AS I AM BOUND STILL. AND CONSIDER CAREFULLY WHAT INTERESTS YOU SO ABOUT THOSE WHO BOUND ME. PERHAPS YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID A PRICE YOU DO NOT KNOW.

  9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    Rising stiffly to her feet, Verglas bowed deeply to the guardian.

    "Again, we are in your debt. I will hold your secret, and those of this place, close in my heart. Thank you for your insights, and your for this opportunity rest safely here. If I have paid a price, it is one that I give freely for this opportunity, this insight. I will go now to rejoin the others."

    In the vacant corridor, it's not hard to find the only area that's occupied, and soon Verglas rejoins her companions. She begins to lay out her bedroll, and has a sip of water.

    "How has Ramiro been faring? The spirit reports that the girl slept here, dreaming of her let's call him a fiance for the sake of romaniticism She was also dreaming of a place of crushing seed and grain suggesting that they might be meeting up at a mill of some kind Also it has become clear that the girl is a natural magical talent, and probably a very powerful one but with no awareness of who she is and how to tap into that power safely I believe that I've been clearly told that the window for me to ask questions has regrettably closed and so I believe that I'll be sleeping soon enough unless there are any questions."
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-02-21 at 03:05 PM.
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

  10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Morning, Day 5

    Complication Dice: 3 of 6

    The night had passed in blissful silence. Indeed, it passed in almost disturbing silence. Whatever power the Yuki-on-na had used to conceal the presence of the portal and indeed the entire facility from the outside world also served to keep wind and snow out as well. There was not even the noise of rodents here, in this square chamber whose vault had to be a good thirty feet up and whose floor was made of clean flagstone - tiles so expertly and tightly fit that even Njal with his natural tell for stonecraft could not see where the join actually was. The only noises were those of the party's own: as they turned in sleep, or the horses' occasional whickering in the darkness, the sound of their hooves echoing away down the long corridor that ran below the mountains.

    Njal had set to work on Ramiro shortly after they'd chosen and settled in the chamber. The exposure to the elements had done him no good at all, and the boy's courageous attempt to weather the fierce cold of a Horizon day had left him with severely reddened fingers, the first sign of the death of extremities that came with accursed frostbite, enemy of all travellers in Horizon. But the shelter of the chamber was Njal's ally, and the dwarf fought fiercely against the slow creep of cold in the boy's fingers, massaging, heating, cooling, providing water (such as they had) and slowly, ever-so-slowly, pushing back its force. It took the better part of an hour, but Njal's druid skills and all the pathsmanship he had learned over the years prevailed: the boy would make a full recovery with a night's rest. Which, to be sure, the young monk dropped into happily and without complaint; he was exhausted.

    Indeed they all got a full and restful sleep. Verglas managed to calm Njal's mistrust of the accursed spirit guarding the portal, and it ultimately was a result of pure reason; the Yuki-on-na was guarding the facility, and anything that was able to enter the place without its consent would likely be nothing that Njal or any of them could deal with. And the very fact the place was an elven facility, with no less than a genuine portal, that had remained undiscovered and unseen for so long was potent record to indicate nothing was likely to enter in the next eight hours or so either. Not to mention that counterintuitive reason also applied to any fear of the ultimate nightmare, an elven contingent arriving through the portal: the elves had been gone for fifteen hundred years, and there was nothing to suggest they were on their way back, now or any time in the future.

    So all of them slept. And slept well, apart from the occasional dream. By morning, both Ramiro's exposure was under control, and indeed Verglas and Roland's sicknesses had resolved as well; in particular the young hammer-bearer was in better shape than he'd been since they first set out.

    Njal led them to the far end of the portal. There was no sign of the Yuki-on-na at the north end of the long passage, which was a mirror image of the southern one: an elven archway, blowing with wind and snow. Verglas, though, had a feeling that once they stepped from this portal and turned back to where they had been, the doorway below the Spear would be no more visible than it had been for the centuries it had been before they arrived.
    She did wish the guardian had left them something to eat.

    For his part, Roland was scanning the terrain. South of the Spear the land had been rolling hills mixed with copses of dying trees. Here, the landscape was similar but with no vegetation. Only a rippled white blanket of snow and frost and rugged hills. And once more he was reminded of the inhabitants of the terrain: Frost Folk, enough to dominate all the land north of the Spear from this end of the valley to the Tower of the Moon far off to the east. Navigating these lands would not go uncontested, he was certain of that. And the signs of Frost Folk south of the Spear gave him no confidence that any would be amenable to reason. Njal and he had briefly discussed the subject of how they should proceed, and came to a rough consensus that there was little for it but to set out as fast as they could for Northmill Dam and hope for the best. Whether they could really go unnoticed through this alien-looking land ultimately was a moot point: the more worrying question, one Roland hoped they wouldn't have to answer, was whether Lyssa Hardwalker could and had gone unnoticed ... or whether her greatcats had been able to bear her with enough speed to make detection moot. Against some of the better hunters and trackers in this part of Horizon.

    There was, at least, one small mercy: the weather seemed to be far more agreeable today. Still cold enough to freeze the water in their skins, of course, but nowhere near the punishing temperatures they'd run into south of the Spear. The question now being how long that weather would hold and who might take advantage of such conditions.

    Roland checked Ember was still reined in, and looked across at his companions. "Well? Anything before we go?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ramiro's exhaustion is done, and his nonlethal damage is healed. Roland and Verglas's diseases are fully cured. You're setting a fast pace as I understand it, which on rough projections should get you 75% of the way to Northmill Dam if your navigation goes right and if nothing interferes to slow you down. The weather's such that Level 1 Cold Protection is enough, i.e. everyone including the animals are fully protected, i.e.e. if you want to shift spell selections given the weather now's the time to do it. Roland and/or Njal would have warned all of you that confrontations with Frost Folk are very likely north of the Spear, so that might affect your preparations. Otherwise - acknowledgment and 'ready to go' from any player will do for me to advance things on.

  11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrK's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Njal "Stormcaller"

    Njal woke, his skin still crawling in unatural Elven ruins. The stones were wrong, the gate was an abomination and even the curved graceful stonework seemed to twist his eyes. Shaking his head he helped fix breakfast for his companions. "Weather be less harsh today, no worries for you today Ramiro, how be the hand?" he asks, before, after waiting for a nod, inspecting the fingers. "Aye laddie, all be grand now, ye be good to punch through brick walls now."

    He checks on the animals, calming them both as he makes sure that the heavy leather bardings are tight and secure on both, a look at Verglas of "North of the Spear beware the frostfolk. Like as not have tae fight our way through." He grins, tapping the tigerskull club. "Be good to see more 'em put to the earth." With horses and dog happy he leads his towards the door. "We'd best be quick eh? Set a fast pace to catch this lassie who be causing these problems."

    OOC: Njal is good to go

    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    Verglas does a very poor job of hiding her disappointment that the Yuki-on-na is nowhere to be seen. It went without saying that she would very much like to find a way to return in less lethal times, to press her luck further with the guardian spirit and come with more preparation to examine this portal. In the meantime, she smiles with something like real gratitude when Njal shares his food with her, and tries to take as little as her growing hunger permits.

    "Gentlemen I feel that I must stress that this place is a precious repository of knowledge and perhaps the only one of its kind left on the continent It offers an opportunity for the young lady we seek and others who share her gift to be able to seek their full connection with the earth Further and if I do not overreach myself if there is a broken quality to our world's connection to this Firekeeper and other sources of warmth I believe that this place has the best chance for us to reverse magic so to speak the harm that has been done and better understand the magics that were used thereby making it more likely for the leading minds of our day to try to undo this damage I mention this not only to impress upon you the need for discretion in days to come in sharing your knowledge of this place but also I hope to forestall any thoughts of trying to destroy this precious spark of hope."

    As they reach the entrance to the cave again, Verglas shivers despite the milder day. She lays down her protection against the elements for herself, the horse and one other who might need it, but if it is not needed will save it in the hope of using it for the young woman they pursued. She clambered up onto the horse.

    "I confess that I don't know much about these frost folk Njal What are the reasons you have for wanting to kill them?"
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

  13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Ramiro Sanda

    To Njal:
    Thanks, that's much better.

    To Vergal
    I would guess them being murderous cannibals would have something to do with it?

  14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Noon, Day 5

    Complication Pool 4 of 6

    Whatever Njal might have replied was lost as the dwarf nudged Stormrir with his feet, and they ventured forth from the gap in the mountain and the gap in What Was that it contained.

    The dwarf set a quick pace. They were moving as quickly as was possible, but the rugged hills north of the Spear were tougher going and more difficult to traverse than those to the south. Great shags of rock like walls loomed up before them as they moved. Many times they were forced to move down minature canyons with ice and snow threatening to fall as dangerous as anyone who might be watching them. Wind moaned through those canyons, making it difficult to hear. There was some smell on the air that none of them could identify, a tangy but foul scent that seemed to pervade even the ice itself. The sky above remained grey as a steel shield.

    Still, they made good time, even allowing for heavy snow that slowed them as though it had an intellect and a desire to do so. One advantage of all the canyons and rising and falling landscape was that it was easy to conceal their presence, or seemed easy at any rate. There were no simple vantage points to be found and Njal was already turning all his skill in direction-finding to keeping them on course. There were no tracks left of Lyssa's greatcats. Either the wind blew harder here overnight and erased them or she had chosen to vault over small canyons that they all had to navigate around or through. All he could do was take faith in the poorly-drawn map of the Valley they still had, try and keep their course north by northeast as he best guessed Northmill Dam's location, and hope. Hope that they'd get some distance before they were ambushed.

    His hope was answered. They made it to midday before they turned a corner around a broken-down wall of rock and found themselves all but face to face with two Frost Folk outside a small dip in the rock that might have been a cave several hundred thousand years ago but now was just a little alcove in the rock.

    There could be no doubt. Grey skin, slight glow to the blue eyes, leathery-looking armour that Njal doubted was needed for protection from the cold. The Frost Folk were doing something with the remains of, incredibly, what had to be the skeleton of a wyvern or (surely not?!) a young dragon. The Frost Folk seemed to be ... working on the massive, fifty-feet-long skeleton, in some strange way. They were raising it with sticks, placing cheap blue gems in its eyesockets. They spun and went for their weapons -- not battleaxes, as Njal had been expecting, but the fearsome metal and wood intersections that were their large crossbows...

    Spoiler: Tactical Map
    Show


    Spoiler: Tactical Notes
    Show
    No surprise round, everyone was unaware of one another. To my immense surprise, the Frost Folk did not pass a single Spot check, and neither did your party including Gromnir.

    Couple of notes about the map - the lines of rock delineate a series of ledges, which are basically five feet higher with each ledge from north to south. So Frost Folk 1 is 5 feet off your height level, while Frost Folk 2 is at ground level.

    There's thick snow all through here, which means this is all difficult terrain: double movement cost, no charging or running without some other ability to deal with it.

    Rolled initiative already. Here's how it turned out:

    Gromrir: 20
    Frost Folk: 20
    Roland: 5
    Ramiro: 5
    Verglas: 4
    Njal: -4

    As said, I'm botting Roland for the time being. Happy to discuss if needed, folks, but it's over to you.

  15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Noon, Day 5

    Complication Pool 4 of 6

    Gromrir hesitated for a second, glancing at his master. In that time, the Frost Folk exploded into motion.

    One hurled itself up the rocky crags next to the skeleton, leaping lightly from handhold to handhold with inhuman grace and motion. At the top of the rise, now fifteen feet above the adventurers, it turned to face them again, unlimbering the great cross of iron and wood it held. Not just a crossbow, but a heavy crossbow, or so Njal and Roland recognised, with some sort of mechanism attached to it to allow quicker reloading of the weapon than usual.

    The other creature held its ground, emotionlessly and with dancing grey fingers loading its crossbow and sighting with complete assurance and accuracy. There was a chunk sort of noise in the stillness. A second later, Gromnir yelped in pain, a long, wicked-looking shaft protruding from his shoulder, blood marking his white fur.

    Roland threw himself forward, cursing at the thick snow that was impeding his movements. He didn't know how long he'd last out here being turned into a pincushion, but all he could hope was that his armour and weapons and skills held out or distracted the Folk long enough for the others to take them out.

    Spoiler: Tactical Map
    Show


    Spoiler: Tactical Notes
    Show

    Gromnir takes 7 damage, bringing him to 22/29 by my count. Roland just double moves at half speed forward.

    Initiative Order:
    Frost Folk: 20
    Roland: 5
    Ramiro: 5
    Verglas: 4
    Njal: -4
    Gromnir: -4

    Getting up those crags requires Climb checks, incidentally - DC 10 in accordance with the usual rules on Climbing while moving in place.

  16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Ramiro Sanda races up the the hill at an obscene speed, it is as if his feet do not even touch the snow.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Swift Action: Windstride (+10 ft enhancement to speed)
    Move action H3-G4-F5-E6-D7-D8
    (1d20+6)[7] DC:10
    (1d20+6)[11] DC:10
    (1d20+6)[23] DC:10
    If any fail, he will use a second move action to continue the ascent
    (1d20+6)[10] DC:10

    If he makes all his Climb Rolls
    Att (1d20+6)[20] (+2 if the opponent is affected by the terrain)
    Dmg (1d6)[4]

    CAtt (1d20+6)[8] (+2 if the opponent is affected by the terrain)
    CDmg (1d6)[3]

  17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    The little gnome starts by doing what she spends most of her day avoiding: falling off a horse. Landing heavily in the snow, she stays prone, but takes a moment to pull out her crossbow - trying hard not to mentally contrast its sleek and elegant but by the standards of their opponents child-like - scope to the massive fast-loading monstrosities they faced.

    After a moment to catch her breath, Verglas quickly curls a hand in the snow and uses it to fuel her spell. She hurls the snow forward as a kind of silvery bomb toward one of the frostfolk, hoping to blind it long enough for her companions to take it down.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yay! Verglas' feats finally come into play!

    Because of the extreme cold weather, Frozen Magic means that her spell will last an extra round or two. She's using Snowcasting to turn Glitterdust into a Cold spell. With Cold Focus and Greater Cold Focus, she'll get +2 DC on the attack.

    Free action: fall off horse and stay prone to get bonuses vs missile filre. (say, into square N3, but really anywhere she won't get trampled if the horse moves forward)
    Move action: grab a handful of the snow that she landed in
    Standard action: Glitterdust. If it's possible to reach both, she does, but otherwise will focus on the one at H13. Will DC 18 or blinded for 4 or 5 rounds, depending on how cold it it.
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •