Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 261
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Roland
    AC 21; HP 36/36
    Steely Resolve: 0 (delayed damage pool)
    Fort: +6, Reflex: +3, Will: +1
    Stance: Iron Guard's Glare
    Condition: Filth Fever (Incubation 1 day)


    Puzzled, Roland starts to answer before looking over to the monk. "Can't say that I am. Friend of mine had a couple growing up, but I always got the sneezes around them whenever--"

    Following Ramiro's finger, Roland finally catches sight of the creature and instinctively tightens his hold on Ember's reins. A sabercat. It didn't much matter if that belonged to the Lady Hardwalker or not, that thing was never meant to be someone's pet. Patting Ember gently, Roland sizes up the situation and decides they wouldn't be making a run for it. Not with one too few horses. Maybe with some luck they could back away real slow, and it would leave them well enough alone.

    Roland slides down off Ember and gets ready to put himself between the cat and his companions should it come to that. "Nice and easy now," Roland says quietly, trying to motion Ramiro back and pull Ember away from the sabercat.

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Ramiro Sanda scared off a pack of wolves yesterday, he fears no lone cat. He does not want to hurt it in case it is domesticated though. He backs away slowly but prepares to meet its pounce with flame.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Move back 10 ft, Std action, ready Hatchlings flame manuver if it pounces at us.

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    Verglas tilts her head, considering.

    "That boulder is a cat? And we're sure it's not dead? Well, no harm in trying to talk with it."

    Without leaving the saddle, Verglas clears her throat and yells out a greeting in a strange, high-pitched series of tones that seems to be less a language than a series of emotions given a crystalline voice.

    "Hey! No bitey-slashy please we're looking for a human girl and boy who rode big cats out from a hall three days ago."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Verglas is trying to use her Speak with Arctic Animals ability. If it's working, Diplomacy (1d20+1)[6]
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

    Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    I'm an English teacher. You are misapplying the concept of "singular they".
    If you want the full lecture we can do it in private.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Njal

    Squinting into the snow and wind the dwarf pauses, eyes narrowing behind thick bushy eyebrows before he slips from the saddle, shield held close and tiger skull club dangling held low. He whistles softly to Gromrir and the white wolf pads beside him as he waves a hand to the others. "AYe, tis a Sabre, a big 'un."

    "Let's see if we can calm her down, nae fight with this big kitty would be best." Walking towards the cat slowly he starts murmuring comforting words in the strange druidic tongue seeking to calm it down...

    Spoiler: Wild empathy
    Show


    Wild empathy (1d20+1)[18] Or Handle animal (1d20+2)[18] whichever is most appropriate

    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Late afternoon, Day 2
    Complication Pool: 4 of 6

    The creature appeared to have been surprised by Verglas's noises, and it straightened from its posture that looked a lot like preparing for a pounce. That movement gave Njal enough time to get within thirty feet, and began murmuring in his strange tongue. Now the sabercat's attention turned fully to Njal, and the massive animal cocked its head for a moment as it listened.

    Eventually, it gave a noise something like an oversized hrmph, followed by a series of low-ended snorts ending in a low, rumbling sort of snarl.

    Spoiler: Njal
    Show
    Well, so far so good; the sabercat didn't seem to care that much one way or the other about the party now. Or at least it didn't seem ready to try and eat them right this moment, anyway.


    Spoiler: Verglas
    Show
    The creature's communication was actually pretty clear. You get out my territory, for a start. If want go through, give food. If not want either, you die. Of course, the first thing that any reasonable wanting-to-live-longer-than-the-next-ten-seconds gnome might want to know was exactly how big a sabercat's territory was. Working out what it probably wanted for food wasn't likely to be quite as hard a question, and the prospect of winding up dead seemed pretty simple.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Roland

    At the barrage of strange tongues emanating from his two companions, Roland freezes in the snow, holding in place and looking to Ramiro next, half expecting the young man to burst into birdsong. He glances back at the sabercat as it snarls at them, pulling out his hammer slowly as he anticipates a charge at any moment.

    "Verglas? Njal?" Roland asks without looking away from the sabercat, "what's happening?"

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    Taking in the cat's body language, Verglas is surprisingly dispassionate when she responds.

    "Well the good news is that this isn't the sabrecat that Lady Lyssa rode in on but the bad news is that this isn't the sabrecat that Lady Lyssa rode in on It is however extremely hungry and seems to be offering three very clear and thoughtful alterntative courses of actions for us to pursue We could feed it something and I think we can safely assume it is not of the carrot and barley soup persuasion we can turn around and get the hell away right away or we can die here."

    She took a breath.

    "All things considered the brevity and precision of her language is actually quite refreshing You humans do have a tendancy to run on and on in your speech sometimes."
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

    Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    I'm an English teacher. You are misapplying the concept of "singular they".
    If you want the full lecture we can do it in private.

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Ramiro Sanda
    Do any of you have spare cat food?

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Roland

    "Alas, I do not," Roland says, his eyes fixed on the overly large cat now that it's form is clear. "Do you think it'll accept a bit of salt-pork and frozen biscuit instead?"

    "Talking is good Verglas, keep it talking if ever you can," he continues. "If it is using its mouth for that it is not using its mouth for other things." Turning his attention back to the others, he asks. "Njal, is that a cave up ahead? Do you think we can offer it enough to keep it busy for just a minute? Maybe we can take shelter in there and at least keep it at bay?"

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    The gnome shrugs.

    "I'll do my best to keep it talking but who knows how long before its patience will run out."

    Turning back to the huge cat, Verglas rattles options around in her head while her mouth is already starting to make strange noises again.

    "You are in luck masterful beast for we can indeed offer a sample of food now and an entire side of pork when we return this way in after four sleeps Surely oh lordly creature this is worth more than the dangers involved in trying to face off against seven creatures armed with pointy things For these are pack creatures who will not abandon one of their own So you might indeed kill two or three of us but all seven is going to be pretty chancy."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attempting an aid another on any further diplomacy by Njal: (1d20+1)[17].
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

    Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    I'm an English teacher. You are misapplying the concept of "singular they".
    If you want the full lecture we can do it in private.

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Late afternoon, Day 2
    Complication Pool: 4 of 6

    The sabercat's eyes narrowed, and it shifted position slightly.
    But it still didn't move forward.
    For now.
    It just started making noises again.

    Spoiler: Verglas
    Show
    The sabercat was speaking to her, and it snorted again. "Seven? I see two standing-men and two half-standing-men, two horses, and a weedy would-be wolf. You could be twice that number and you'll still be dead if you go another step without providing me something. I'll make sure to save you for last if it comes to that. Turn over what you've got for me to eat, now, and then we'll decide whether you live to sunset."

    Even so, Verglas could tell the sabercat was bluffing. He wasn't nearly as confident of killing all of them as he made himself out to be. Which didn't mean, of course, that he couldn't kill all of them, he was a good ten feet long and more or less what the Five Gods seemed to have in mind when they invented the word 'muscle.'


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Verglas has a -1 on Sense Motive. Fortunately, the sabercat has 0 ranks in Bluff.

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    Verglas murmurs back at Roland.

    "Throw him the pork. Don't show what else you have."

    Pushing her luck, beause that's what Verglas does, she returns to try to cement the deal with the sabrecat.

    "Oh great cat, it would be most wise to save me for last because the other two-legs are fierce warriors and the wolf is well a bloody wolf and I saw the horses crush the skulls of giant rats giant f**king rats Oh if you're up for some carrion there are half a dozen giant f**king rats about an hour or so back the way we came."
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

    Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    I'm an English teacher. You are misapplying the concept of "singular they".
    If you want the full lecture we can do it in private.

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Njal

    As the gnome begins to speak with the cat Njal, pauses, a hand still on the club and the warmth of Gromrir's furry form beside him. He nods to Verglas, "Ye have better skills with the cat than I." Reaching into his pack he pulls out a chunk of meat that had been planned for Gromrir and looks at the gnome waiting for a nod before tossing the meat towards the cat.

    Looking ahead he tries to spy the cave that was mentioned, squinting in the snow

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    Spot (1d20)[15] +6

    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Late afternoon, Day 2
    Complication Pool: 4 of 6

    The sabercat sniffed the meat Njal had thrown to it, then raised its head again, a low growl rumbling from its throat.

    Spoiler: Verglas
    Show
    "That's it?"

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    Verglas glances back at Roland.

    "It wants more so throw the pork unless you have a pound of catnip in your pack."
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

    Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    I'm an English teacher. You are misapplying the concept of "singular they".
    If you want the full lecture we can do it in private.

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Roland

    "Catnip," Roland mutters in a huff, shaking his head and rummaging through his pack. He pulls out two full days worth of salt pork, leaving the remaining four days worth of hard biscuits he still had alone. He only feels bad for a few moments. Starving days from now felt like a small concern compared with being mauled today. Walking five feet closer to the great cat, Roland prepares to toss the pork to it, but a familiar tug stops him just before he can throw the dried meat.

    "Verglas," he calls back to the gnome, trying to keep his voice steady without taking his eyes off the sabercat, "ask if it's seen two of its kin with a Lady come through here in the past few days. Just a quick question, then we'll go our separate ways. No bloodshed necessary and it gets a free meal or two out of the bargain, right?" Inching closer, Roland gulps as he tries to figure out whether he should appear non-threatening so it doesn't think he's trying anything or threatening so it doesn't think of him as part of the meal. "Nice kitty."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    For the sake of keeping things going without neglecting this question, Roland tosses the food as soon as the question gets asked and answered, regardless of what the answer is or even if it's truthful. It's probably not going to yield anything, but I'd feel foolish if we didn't at least try to ask this intelligent creature if it made friends with Fluffy and Whiskers while Lyssa was traveling through. She probably didn't come this way, but it's worth a shot.

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Late afternoon, Day 2
    Complication Pool: 4 of 6

    Spoiler: Njal
    Show
    Taking a precious moment or two of time to not gaze at the imminent and pretty dangerous threat right in front of them, the dwarf could see there was, indeed, some sort of cave about fifty or sixty feet ahead. It looked large enough from this distance for a rider to enter it without having to duck his head, but its depth just wasn't estimable in the midst of the blowing snow, the declining light, and this far out.

    Some part of him also was wondering what the outcome of this ... conversation ... with the sabercat was going to be. If they were in fact rejected and told to leave the creature's territory, it would be a not-insubstantial deviation from their path. Sabercats tended to be pretty wide-ranging, and a rogue male like this one (he couldn't see any sign that the beast had a pride, and its gender at least was easy enough to work out) could claim a ten-mile radius. Going around the creature's territory - which Njal figured he'd be able to do accurately now he knew to look for sabercat spoor and signs of it marking its terrain - would consume another good half day on their journey before they could resume course.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry, DrK, I totally forgot to update you on the results of your Spot check.

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    Verglas nods approvingly at her colleagues, and speaks sharply to the cat.

    "Dread lord of all you survey That is all the meat you are getting now When we pass back this way, there will be more I'll make sure Now if you tell us what's in that cave and whether you've seen any twolegs riding sabrecats passing through your territory lately and especially if you happened to have eaten them then it will speed up the process of us getting out of your territory."
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

    Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    I'm an English teacher. You are misapplying the concept of "singular they".
    If you want the full lecture we can do it in private.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Late afternoon, Day 2
    Complication Pool: 5 of 6

    The sabercat's eyes narrowed further, if that were even possible.

    Spoiler: Verglas
    Show
    "What's in that cave is of no interest to you, because you're going on and out of my territory without stopping to inspect things on the way. If, of course, you still plan on living until sunset." Its omission of details about the other subjects of Verglas's inquiry seemed deliberate in that, whether or not the sabercat had actually seen them, it didn't seem in the mood to gossip.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The Complication Pool rises to 5 of 6 because in my view it's kind of dangerous to speak sharply to a dangerous predator in these circumstances, even if the beast isn't sure whether or not he can take you all on. Flight and Fight are both primitive responses.

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    Verglas, being an expert at pushing her luck, is all too familiar with the point at which people cross over from being annoyed with her to actually seeking to strike her.

    "The cat doesn't want to talk about the cave Perhaps it sleeps there We should stop caring about that immediately and leave giving it a wide berth It will attack us in a few seconds if we do not."
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-09-17 at 01:13 AM.
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

    Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    I'm an English teacher. You are misapplying the concept of "singular they".
    If you want the full lecture we can do it in private.

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Roland

    Between watching the sabercat's eyes and hearing the urgency in Verglas' tone combined, Roland tosses the salt pork towards the great cat like it had burned his fingers. Retreating slowly back a few steps without turning away from the sabercat, Roland answers Verglas. "We have pushed our luck far enough, haven't we?" he asks rhetorically, understanding all he needed from her tone.

    Reaching back blindly for the reins, Roland finds Ember's mane and hangs onto her for a moment, taking a deep breath and then hopping back into the saddle. Looking at the others, Roland simply says, "let's get moving and get out of this thing's territory before nightfall. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't plan on being desert."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Complication pool increase sounds fair. The person who said "it never hurts to ask" wasn't talking about asking a sabercat anything.
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-09-17 at 06:05 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Ramiro Sanda
    We could have taken him.....but you are right, it would have been a waste of time.

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    Verglas looks over at Ramiro, at once admiring his confidence and not for a moment sharing it.

    "Yes that was my primary concern as well Not that I might get my throat ripped out by a hungry predator twenty times my size but that it would significantly impact our schedule."
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

    Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    I'm an English teacher. You are misapplying the concept of "singular they".
    If you want the full lecture we can do it in private.

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Njal

    THe dwarf looks at the cave once more as they begin to move past the cat. "The cave is large enough for a rider, its intriguing. Did the cat say we could investigate? If not we may have to fight it." He looks more at the beast and narrows his gauge, before mounting up, and following the others.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    Verglas twists around to face Njal.

    "The bloody cat invited us to investigate the inside of its stomach if we do anything but get right the hells away from here right bloody now."
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

    Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    I'm an English teacher. You are misapplying the concept of "singular they".
    If you want the full lecture we can do it in private.

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Roland

    "The cave sounds like a nice spot to safeguard against the sabercat and the weather alike, but I don't mean to antagonize the beast further if we don't have to. Even one of us set back with a broken leg could spell death out here, and that one," Roland says, nodding back to the sabercat, "looks like it could do even worse to us if prompted. There's still some daylight left. I feel like I've got a craving for hard biscuits washed down with snow anywhere we can find to make camp that isn't already claimed by rats or cats."

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Ramiro Sanda
    The cave is too close, we have alot more distance to make up.

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Njal

    WIth an angry look at the massive cat, Njal snarls and pulls the horse around following Verglas and the others, a tickle of irritation about being chased away by the sabrecat brewing within him. "Come, lets us move fast then, and catch this foolish girl.", then under his breath, "Then I can get back to the mountains and away from these lowland passes".

    He taps Stormrir's flanks and surges forward, maintaining a good trot. As the end of the day draws near he looks to the others. "I've me a my hut, it'll be snug but we can be fitting. The mounts can huddle under blankets outside."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Morning, Day 3
    Complication Pool: 1 of 6

    The adventurers turned warily from the sabercat, continuing their journey northeast. They passed the caveís entrance on their left, the enticing shadows and height of the cave a tempting mistress spurned in the fierce lash of the wind, even if that same wind was pushing them onward. They made not a few backward-looking glances as they moved on and away from the beastís territory, but the sabercat had disappeared a few moments after they began moving off again.

    Nothing else assailed them during daylight. Njal was muttering under his breath about the sabercat and the cave for the next hour or so as he continued their march north and east, the mountains of the Spear still a good half dayís journey ahead of them. The dayís light went out surprisingly fast, though, and the sky had turned a bruised-looking purple behind angry grey clouds in the west when the dwarf finally called a halt and suggested they find a place to rest for the night.

    He didnít get much argument from the remaining three adventurers. Although they had no open wounds, the day had been hard going on them. Roland and Verglas in particular were developing dark circles under their eyes and Emberís head was starting to droop. Ramiro looked to be in good shape, but then he was a young human. They had such energy, the dwarf reflected. Nor was Ember in much shape to carry on longer, given the horse was carrying two.

    Njal took a quick reconnoiter and led the adventurers down into a small dip between two snow-covered hills. Spirits be thanked, there was a small, withered-looking copse of pine like a stand of spears on duty well after a snowstorm. It wasnít exactly a cave, but at least it would form a decent set of supports for the portable hut he carried with him.

    Njal left Roland and Verglas to set up the hut while he set about channelling Ramiroís energy; dwarf and man dug out a six-foot-high brem from the foot-deep snow, making a windbreak for the horses. It took them well after twilight to finish off, but it corralled the beasts nicely and provided further shielding from the wind for the portable hut. Njal told Ramiro to head inside and eat something while the dwarf began his watch, the night swallowing up mountains, stars, clouds, snow, everything. All that was left was the wind as it keened and wailed through the dying pine trees. So it was in the lowlands. The dwarf absently patted Gromrirís fuzzy head as the husky trotted in and curled itself up within the brem.

    Inside the small tent, Verglas had settled in to her bed. She had some sort of sniffle and her throat felt a little raw.

    Spoiler: Verglas
    Show
    Her attention was drawn to the great, oversized hammer that Roland had recovered from the Firekeeperís shrine. The rest of the day she hadnít had a chance to look properly at it, but the big man had laid the weapon down beside the cot he rested on, and she finally had the opportunity to consider it close-up.

    And immediately she could see why, exposed to the elements, it had not a spot of rust on it. The telltale of magic was all over the maul, from the just-so angles of the lines engraved into its head to the almost-imperceptible hum her gnomish ears could detect from it. A maul that wanted to be wielded, in some primitive way; a maul that promised its wielder greater prowess in battle. The engraving on the sides of the maulís head were of triangles and pentagons, and that convinced her: the weapon might be decades old, but she had seen enough such tools at the Mountain during her brief Ė too brief Ė apprenticeship. This was a magic weapon.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Specifically, itís a +1 maul.


    The night wind rose with the darkness, and howled louder. But the roughness of the weather and the fact the adventurers set no fires seemed to guarantee that nothing disturbed their rest, and the night passed with fitful whomps and fa-whomps as the linen of the portable hut billowed and snapped with the impact of the wind.

    Daylight brought new issues.

    Verglas and Roland were burning up. Which was to say, their skin felt as though it were next to a campfire even though the air was just as cold as yesterday. Every movement brought aches from the joints. It was difficult for either of them to turn out of their cots to meet the day, though it came, cold and clear and windy as always, snow flying endlessly from the southwest.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Salient things:
    - Each member of the party gains 450 XP from the encounter with the sabercat.

    - For ease of calculation, filth fever is deemed to kick in as from now for Roland and Verglas.
    - Roland takes 3 DEX and 3 CON damage as of now.
    - Verglas takes 2 DEX and 1 CON damage as of now.
    - Remember this does heal naturally assuming 8 hoursí rest at a rate of 1 point of damage per ability score, or at 2 per full 24 hour period assuming full rest. Successful Heal checks can also double these rates, but still require 8 hoursí rest in a day or 24 hours respectively.

    - Previously-cast Endure Elements spells are all expiring right about now.
    - Wind remains blowing from the southwest as it was yesterday.
    - The temperature remains at Severe Cold levels, i.e. somewhere south of -20 F. For completion protection against the elements, level 2 protection is required. On that score, to recap:
    --- Ember and Stormrir have level 1 protection even with Fullcloth.
    --- Gromnir is safe at level 2 since heís a husky and he has a fur coat.
    --- Njal is at level 3 protection from his race and from his cold weather gear and fur clothing.
    --- Verglas is at level 1 protection with only a cold weather outfit.
    --- Roland is at level 2 protection with cold weather outfit and fur clothing.
    --- Ramiro is at level 1 protection with only a cold weather outfit.

    - Njal has a wand of Endure Elements with 10 charges left.
    - Roland has a wand of Endure Elements with 10 charges left (weíll assume he kept the three wands he otherwise was giving to Maxis.)
    - Roland is also carrying a spare cold weather outfit and spare fur clothing.

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: A Gathering Storm

    Verglas

    The Gnome spends much of the evening fighting the fever-chills and staring at the Maul. After an hour or so, so shrugs, and slides it off of her lap.

    "Well it's definitely magic but unless the enchantments are too subtle even for a gnome then it's not specifically attuned to the fire keeper or anything like that sorry to disappoint but it' not going to summon a pillar of fire for you or anything like that Still I'm sure you'll find it quite handy in fighting off the yetis and the polar bears that will doubtless be coming for us today."

    She wakes feeling awful, but says nothing as she stares at her book, forcing magic into a pain-fogged mind. Only when Njal warns that he is taking down the hut does she cast her protective magics.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Verglas can take care of her own Endure Elements and for one other - maybe one of the horses? And then if Ramiro can put on the spare furs, we're down one more.
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

    Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    I'm an English teacher. You are misapplying the concept of "singular they".
    If you want the full lecture we can do it in private.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •