New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: A Gathering Storm

Roland

He felt her before he saw her, but until she stepped up by his side, Roland couldn't explain the warmth tickling at his skin. Even so, he hadn't thought anything could make him take his eyes off Tarak or his pack. The line between life and death seemed awfully thin in that moment. But when he felt an avatar of the Firekeeper standing at his side, Roland looked, and then he looked some more.

He actually sank a couple inches towards the ground before straightening back up again with a start, an overwhelming urge to drop to one knee almost overcoming the needs of the moment. And still Roland watched her burn. A few years ago he'd watched the sun rise over the frozen shores north of Arrynburgh and renewed his vows to the Firekeeper under the sky she'd painted red. He felt that same feeling now.

Where the cold had chilled his bones, warmth flooded over him. Where doubt had begun to fester, only faith remained. Eyes damp with emotion, Roland hardened himself as he turned his full attention back to the matter at hand.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Predawn darkness, Day 2
    Complication Pool: 6 of 6

The effect of Maxis's challenge was stunning.

As she immolated herself, the wolf pack visibly flinched. The closest seven or eight wolves to Maxis retreated a few steps, snarling, and the creatures closest to Stavro's kin in the stable backed away from him. That might have been enough of an opportunity for some of the adventurers to dash for the little domovoi, but whether they did or not, the pack somehow seemed to turn its attention to their leader, Tarak.

For a second or two there was hesitation. The mottled beast's yellow-eyed gaze flicked from one adventurer to the next, resting for a moment on Njal and the husky beside him, then to Verglas, then Roland ... and finally, stopping with Maxis, burning with the Firekeeper's holy flame, the torch in the darkness.

The beast snarled once more, turning its gaze to Stavro. "Another time, little man." It looked back at Maxis. "And we mark you, firewoman. You and all your pack. Tarak promises we will meet again."

Then it turned, and loped off into the crags and twisted trees in the rock.

The rest of the pack followed it, turning and bolting for the shadows. The lack of sound was eerie. In moments where a dozen wolves had filled the stableyard there was nothing but wind and footprints.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    And that's 750 XP each for you guys!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Verglas

Verglas kept her dubiously effective crossbow trained on the butt of the alpha wolf until the pack had completely disappeared from view before turning to Maxis.

"That was quite remarkable, an extraordinary combination of seemingly genuine emotion, eldritch might and what the gnomish elders refer to as chutzpah. Bravo, Maxis."

She paused to examine the snow in their area, and the floating globes of light swoop across the surface in expanding circles around Verglas.

"Sorry, just being sure. That wolf said that they marked you, and, well, even I know how dogs mark things. But you and the area both seem to be completely urine free. So...another reason for celebration, I suppose. A celebration inside,I'd say."

Unless there is the need for further conversation outside, Verglas returns indoors, gets warmed up, and drops off to sleep as quickly as she's able.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #124

SwashbucklerGuy

Roland

Silent for a time, when Roland finally speaks, he does so with reverence. "I think if I live to be 100 years old, I may never forget where I was the night you stepped forward wreathed in flame and spoke in the Firekeeper's voice. No doubt the bards will write a song and the children will beg for stories about Maxis 'Thrice-Blessed,' the woman on fire. 'She carries three of the Firekeeper's gifts,' they'll say. 'Maxis Thrice-Blessed wields Her magic. She speaks with Her voice. And she is a vision of Her bea--'" Roland says, stopping abruptly and searching in vain for a way out, his face suddenly warm against the chill of night. He coughs, stepping past Maxis towards the door and remarks, "no doubt Verglas is right though, the celebration should take place inside."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maxis

She stands their for a moment, and when the wolves actually turn, she feels relief washing over her. Her confidence was strong, but still she is happy not to have to fight those beasts. Tonight at least. The words of the wolf stay as a bitter aftertaste of the sweet success. When the wolves have vanished, she turns to her companions. Hearing Verglas' compliments and concern regarding her possible encounter with canine urine, she can not prevent a grin. "I... I believe he meant something very different, and we might wish he'd stuck to the more traditional version... But yes, let's go inside. I... I think I need a drink." As Roland begins to serenade her, she slightly bows her head, proud of her success but also slightly overwhelmed by these compliments. As he starts to get stuck in his own words, she looks up and gives him a warm, slightly amused look. For a moment, she seems as if she wants to say something, but then the flames vanish, and she merely agrees. "Yes, let's go."

After entering the house, and when everyone has settled again, she turns to her comrades. "We stood bravely. Together. Honoring ourselves and those we stand for. Yet, we delayed a confrontation." her eyes seek those of Stavros. "What can you tell us about this beast?"
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-06-16 at 07:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Njal

Njal takes a couple of steps forward and watches the wolves leave and scurry away."Phew. A relief there that thy ran like cowards, I dinnae like the talking one mind. He'll be back, I reckon we'll get more trouble frae him." He looks once more to make sure they are gone before running into the stable to check on the horses, eager to make sure that his poor horse has not suffered anymore injuries.

That done he'll head back inside and don the thick furs and the heavy coat of dragon mail to both keep the cold out and garb him for battle. Resting in the stableyard he nods to the others. "I can take watch till dawn eh? You lads get some sleep."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Predawn darkness, Day 2
    Complication Pool: 6 of 6

Stavro closed the door behind the last of the adventurers, nodding thankfully to Njal, squeezing the shoulder of his kinsman as the other domovoi shuddered and resumed his watch. As they resettled for what was left of the night, the domovoi turned to answer Maxis's question.

"Tarak has been in these mountains for many yeers," said Stavro. "He is old as me. His pakh is as old. Ve ... fought ... over an old hermit's hoot, years agoo. My clan kill't too of his kin, set him afire a moment. For that, I lost me father, me grandfather. Not seen him and his pakh here for long time. Must haf tracked you heer." The domovoi shook his head. "Grateful always for yoor help, sirs. Just fear I haf left you viv enemy. Tarak pride boundless. Hope he tries heer 'gain only. Vill not catch us outside again. Hope he does not try follow you instead."

The rest of the night passed in silence.

Show
    Before I forget, deduct a trail ration each.

Complication Pool resets to 1 of 6.

By the time of dawn, Verglas hasn't had 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep; it'll take another 2 hours. That said, assuming you guys are moving on, we just need to specify which direction, and what pace you're setting.

8. - Top - End - #128

SwashbucklerGuy

Roland

Waking at dawn, Roland rubs the sleep from his eyes as he rolls out from under the warm covers. Stretching, he puts on his furs and trundles out into the yard, carrying his armor slung over his shoulder as he makes for the stables.

"Morning Njal," Roland greets him, "anything in the night? I mean, after the wolves of course." Stopping in front of Ember's stall, Roland reaches out a hand and brushes her mane. "Would you mind helping me into my armor this morning?" he asks, breath steaming in the cold morning air.

"Why don't you head inside for a bit and take your last chance to warm up while the other's finish resting. I'm sure today will be a long one if we're going to try to head Lyssa off at the pass."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Verglas

Verglas resists the Domovoi's kind efforts to rouse her gently, and sleeps well into the morning. She grunts an apology, then devours a simple breakfast while staring steadily into a book. Shortly, she snaps the book shut and slides it into her slender pack.

"Thank you for your patience. Shall we work to rediscover the path, and hopefully evade the possible tracking by ravenous wolves?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Njal

Njal grunts a greeting to the tall man as Roland enters the stable. "Aye, no worries my friend," in answer to the armour and brusquely helps Roland don the heavy plates of steel. "Didnae see anything else last night. Wolves scared 'em away eh? We'll keep an eye out in the light but if they come back we'll give 'me a good showing. Be less brave when we are all mounted up."

He nods at the suggestion of warming up slightly and head inside for food and drink before dragging his pack out and getting Stormrir ready to ride. "Shall we head off? The wee lass won't catch much but death in the snow if we don't find her."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Midmorning, Day 2
    Complication Pool: 2 of 6

Stavro the domovoi had seen them off after Verglas had sufficient time to rest and prepare her spells once more. There didn't seem to be any sign of the wolven pack from the night before, and Gromnir trotted around just as contentedly as he had when they'd first arrived. Stavro also gave them solid directions to the quickest way out of the mountains and down to the Valley floor, which would allow them to make up a little of the lost time from their interrupted night's sleep. The last view the adventurers had of him was at the doorway of the ranger hut, hand raised high in farewell, a flickering flame dancing at his fingertips.

They made their way out of the narrow ravine that functioned as the ranger station's location, and back into the mountains. Stavro's directions were as good as his word, and the path they found was good for their mounts and gave them vistas of the Valley of the Spear beyond, something to contemplate, trouble them, and excite them perhaps as they descended out of the mountains.

The land rolled and dipped; there could be a hundred different things hiding behind every dead tree, or in every dell. It was picturesque in its own way, but it was also pretty clear why nobody had ever really been able to fully control this ice-blasted land. That said, they were lucky enough not to run into anything coming out of the hills; another legacy of Stavro's directions, given the fast pace they were all setting.

Spoiler: Njal
    Show
    The niggling, annoying feeling that Njal had as they'd been descending out of the mountains was now starting to bear fruit. He could feel it in his dwarven bones. The Spirits (so he Had Been Given To Know) of the winds were always restless when a Gravewind was on its way, even weeks out. The Spirits of the air knew when their Eldest Brother was on his way. The weather was starting to turn, and whilst it wasn't early arrival of the Gravewind or anything like that, the odds were pretty damned good the wind and the plunging temperature was going to last the day ... as were the flying ice and snow and sleet that came with them.

However, as the adventurers reached the Valley proper, the wind began to kick up. Hard. Coming out of the southwest, behind them, but Horizon winds never helped a traveller whichever way they came from, and the wind cut like a blade. Hard and fast. Most of the adventurers were rugged up well enough to keep even this piercing cold out, but Verglas was a notable exception. And even with all the time the horses had likely spent in the cold, Horizon wind was still bone-chilling.

Show
    In game terms, the temperature's dropping somewhere south of 0 Fahrenheit, so what would be called Severe Cold. If I have the stats right, that means Level 2 cold protection is needed to not make Fort checks. Verglas, Stormrir and Roland's (I think unnamed?) mount only have level 1; I know Stormrir has a Fullcloth, but that doesn't provide full level 2 I'm afraid.

It's not catastrophic yet; level 1 still conveys partial protection, which means anyone in that situation makes Fort checks once per hour to avoid taking nonlethal damage (and thus risk of Frostbite, etc etc). Alternatively you might have spell-based solutions. Or indeed you might want to try and hunker down in shelter until the weather improves. Or turn back (fat chance :) ). Over to you guys?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maxis

Feeling the cold of the wind creeping in even into her warm clothes, she looks at those less fortunate.

"The wind has grown worse, I'd rather not see anyone or the horses freeze to death." She pulls out a wand from under her first protective layer, grimacing briefly from the chill. "So, who needs a few warming words from the Fiery Lady?"

Show

Happy to cast Endure Elements on whoever needs it. I'll use the wand. If I count correctly, it's three uses?
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-06-28 at 10:43 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Verglas

The gnome woman does her best to tough out the storm, huddling into Roland's back as best she can, but as the temperature drops even lower, she takes advantage of a pause to cast a protective magic on herself. She manages a faint smile as Maxis offers the same protection.

"Th-thanks! But save it for the horses. I'll manage. Th-this way, we'll all freeze at more or less the same time. Good for a sense of fellowship and belonging!"

Show
    Verglas will cast Endure Elements on herself.

14. - Top - End - #134

SwashbucklerGuy

Roland

Pulling his furs tighter around him, Roland shivers despite all his preparations for the cold. The wind was like a scythe cutting through the trees, every howl a fresh swing that sent him ducking for cover. The little gnome behind him wasn't much of a windbreak, but he was grateful for even the slightest protection and warmth. Even still, Roland's preparations hadn't extended far enough. He could feel Ember struggling beneath him in the bitter cold. A few moments later, Maxis offered reprieve, a gift from Her that would keep Ember strong and safe.

"My thanks, Maxis," Roland responds, gratefully accepting her offer. "I should never have brought her north of the Hold, but I thought she could aid us in the search. I should've been better prepared, though," he says, grimacing. Furrowing his brow, Roland pulls off his gauntlet and reaches into his belt pouch, offering three wands of his own. He puzzles over them for a second, trying to remember which was which, but in the end the bitter cold decides for him. He offers them down to Maxis as she continues to trudge through the snow. "Please, if you can channel Her power, you can make use of these, I hope. I think one of them has the spell you seek. What's it called," Roland says, grasping for the answer as he hands them off and bundles back up. "Ah well, you know."

Show

I decided to name Roland's horse Ember a little while back

Roland hands over 3 wands with 10 charges each:

• Endure Elements
    • Cure Light Wounds
    • Pass Without a Trace

They are not in any discernible order and Roland only sort-of remember what they do.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Early Afternoon, Day 2
    Complication Pool: 3 of 6

Maxis touched her wand to the two mounts, and a shimmering of ... something ... rippled for a brief moment across Ember and Stormrir's bodies and was gone. Immediately, though, the Firekeeper's blessing washed over them; they immediately stopped shivering and looked around, ready to get going again. And a moment later, so was Verglas, having shrouded her body in essentially the same spell.

Spoiler: Maxis
    Show
    Maxis recognised the three wands that Roland had handed over. There likely weren't many seeds of power left in them, but they seemed to be of solid make. The general design wasn't familiar to her, and none of them appeared to have been made by the church of the Firekeeper. Rather, she had the distinct impression these were the handiwork of the Father's temples given the slim, no-nonsense shape and the clean lines in the wood. That said, they would function for a cleric of the Firekeeper just as well for one of the Father; wands were more focuses, conduits for the power of the gods, though with each passing use the wear from channelling the raw power of a deity through them took its toll on them and would eventually render them useless. In any event, they seemed to contain blessings of Pass Without Trace, Cure Light Wounds, and Endure Elements, as the mnemonic for those prayer/blessings were remembered by the Firekeeper's church.

Having at least pushed back the cold for the time being, the adventurers got underway. The wind blew behind them, bringing needles of ice and sleet, and keened in the distant mountains. The path was a struggle; Maxis did manage to keep up even on foot, but that rather spoke to how heavy the snowdrifts were before them. The land was like the back of a white serpent: undulating up and down, with exposed patches of rock and dead trees like white scales all about. Now and then some sign of a rocky outcrop loomed out of the grey, but proved to be nothing more than another rise in the land or some great old stone sentinel long cleaned of earth by the wind.

Njal broke the trail as best he could about thirty feet ahead of them, setting a fast pace. Even with the wind at their backs, pushing hard through snow was a damnably tough job. The dwarf called a momentary halt for a second among a couple of ancient, fallen logs, surrounded by younger, withered-looking pine trees, both to allow the horses and Maxis to catch their breath as for him to momentarily get his bearings back.

Spoiler: Njal
    Show
    Long instincts and some preternatural feeling for the cold and for patches of snow and dirt gave him a few split-seconds of warning. Or perhaps it was some affinity he shared with Gromnir, who suddenly bared his teeth, snarling and turning about one way and another. The wind was behind them, of course, so the big husky hadn't caught the scent until they were right in it. Still, the dwarf did manage to keep his head and realise once again just how dangerous it could be walking point at a fast pace in a land as hostile as the Valley.

Around the dwarf, Gromnir, and Stormrir, the snowy ground erupted with movement, and knotholes in the fallen trees were suddenly alive with small, furry bodies. Rats were swarming on the dwarf's position - too many to accurately count right at this moment, but close to two dozen. No, not rats: normal rats didn't grow to a good four feet long even in the most well-fed grainhouses in Chalice mansions, and normal rats didn't have eyes with the slightest green tint to them. No - Kzashen, that was what they were called in dwarven: dire rats.

Spoiler: Everyone else
    Show
    Thirty feet behind Njal, the other three adventurers were shocked to the core as the earth around Njal, Gromnir, and Stormrir suddenly seemed to erupt with small rodent bodies. Well, if you called up-to-four-feet-long 'small'. There were a good two dozen or maybe a little less in immediate evidence. They'd clearly surrounded Njal and although they hadn't yet moved on the rest, it certainly looked as though these creatures weren't out to negotiate and they most likely knew the rest of the adventurers were there. Not normal rats: dire rats. And by the looks of it, hungry.

Show
    I'll get a map up soon, but here's how the initiative rolls turned out:

Roland: 21
    Rats: 16
    Verglas: 15
    Njal: 13
    Maxis: 8
    Gromnir: 6

This is a surprise round. Njal and Gromnir are not surprised, and neither are the rats, but everyone else is. There's a good 20 dire rats, stats as per the SRD if you really want to go look there, and they've more or less surrounded Njal, Gromnir, and Stormrir. Gromnir can basically be taken to be next to Njal and Stormrir for simplicity's sake. The rest of the party is about 30 feet behind Njal and the rats surrounding him. The rats only get a standard action, so they don't get to move this round and complicate things, but you can assume that by the time the next round gets started many of them will be in range of Njal and his companions.

So. What do you do?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Tactical Map
    Show

I had problems getting the grid to match the map, so if in doubt, count by grid references rather than drawn squares.

17. - Top - End - #137

SwashbucklerGuy

Show

Edit: Oops, just realized I posted this in the wrong thread.

Damn Saintheart, that map looks fantastic! Love the details and definitely appreciate the work put in to making an icon for each character!
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-07-04 at 01:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Njal

Njal, hunched atop the massive shaggy horse looked around as the snow erupted with a swarm of savage and horrid looking rats burst forth from the snow. "Stay back!" he barks at the others. He looks around, a moment feeling surrounded before seeing a gap in the oncoming circle of rats and galloping in a great cloud of snow with Gromrir snapping at his heels, a great leap as they race past several of the rats to reach the safety of the others and form a line of defence with the others.

Show

Move out of the oncoming circle via row I so I trigger several AoO

Stormrir and Njal G4/G5/H4/H5
    Gromri F3

Hps 26 / 26 Saves +6 /2 /6 (+2 Vs cold)
    AC: 18 FF 17 Touch 11

Stormrir
    30 hp (4HD) Init +1 Speed 50 ft Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +2
    AC 17 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural +3 AC), touch 10, flat-footed 16
    BAB/Grapple +3/+11
    Attack: 2 hooves +6 melee (1d6+4) and bite +1 melee (1d4+2)
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
    Skills/feats: Listen +5, Spot +4 / Endurance, Run

Gromnir (Wintery Huskie) - Level 3 companion
    29 hp (4HD) Init +3 Speed 40 ft Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +2
    AC 21 (+3 Dex, +6 natural +2 armour), touch 12, flat-footed 18
    BAB/Grapple +3/+6
    Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+4 + Trip (+3))
    Abilities: Str 16, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
    Skills: Jump +9, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +4, Survival +2/6*
    Feats: Alertness, Track, Improved Natural attack (bite) / Link, Share spells, Evasion

19. - Top - End - #139

SwashbucklerGuy

Roland
    AC 21; HP 36/36
    Fort: +6, Reflex: +3, Will: +1
    Stance: Iron Guard's Glare
    Condition: -

As Njal calls a halt, Roland takes the opportunity to look back behind them for any obvious sign that they're being followed. He half expects to find Tarak or one of his kin staring back at them from a distance, but as he surveys the trees around them, he can't see anything suspicious. Then again, Roland's father had always told him he couldn't see the fork he was using at supper until it was halfway to his mouth so he kept on looking.

Suddenly the ground seemed to shake and Roland's head whipped around just in time to see a hundred rats climb out of the snow to threaten Njal. Roland could only blink stupidly for a moment, but thankfully Njal was thinking clearly. Stormrir seemed to fly between two rats with Gromnir hot on his heels, which prompts Roland to take action as well. Swinging an armored leg over Ember's head, Roland drops to the ground and moves a few feet in front of the others, taking up a position just ahead of their line. All the while he is uttering a prayer, quietly at first, but slowly increasing in volume.

Hers is the light in the darkness
    Hers is the fire that warms
    I will prove myself worthy of Her radiance
    The Keeper's flame safeguards against the swarms

He is still finishing his prayer as the rats explode into action, shouting the last line as they move.

Show

Move action: dismount to F5.
    5 foot step: F6.
    Swift action: Change stance to Iron Guard's Glare.

Standard action: Ready an action to bop the first rat that comes into reach.

Maneuver: Leading the Attack
    Attack roll: (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[5]

Rider:
    As part of this maneuver, you make a single melee attack. If your attack is successful, your allies gain a +4 morale bonus on attack rolls for 1 round against the creature you hit. You are your own ally.
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-07-11 at 07:02 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Early Afternoon, Day 2

Njal spurred Stormrir in retreat, sending snow flying as they charged through the weakest-looking link in the garrote of vermin closing on them. The rats hissed, leaping with awful dexterity at Stormrir and Njal as they moved back. Their filthy-looking teeth snapped futilely at Stormrir, but one of them got a long fang into Njal's shin as they retreated, drawing blood. The dwarf gritted his teeth, his heritage and the Spirits pushing back against the disease that surely would have come with the bite, and they reached their location without being further assailed.

Roland leapt from Ember's back, his boots crunching with a satisfying noise as he cut through the snowdrift below him and hit solid ground below. The Firekeeper's inspiration filled him, and he wheeled his weapon back ready for a strike, body moving into the position some old ascetic had long-ago given the moniker of Iron Guard's Glare. Spiritual force rippled from him, and the rats seemed to sense something of it; their green eyes narrowed as they looked at him, realising what his devotion was doing to reality itself.

As one, the pack of rats surged forward, grey shapes sliding over snow and wood like a wave.

As he'd perhaps hoped, a good number of them surged at Roland. He unloaded a fast blow at the first rat that came into range, but the damnable things were faster still, and his strike went heartbreakingly wide.

Then the pack was on them. Roland was into battle focus, then, and he registered at least five different clanks on different parts of his armour as the rats tried but failed to breach his skin of iron.

Maxis wasn't so fortunate. They came swarming at her with terrible speed, and three of them sprang, drawing blood from different spots on her body. But the Firekeeper was with her too, and whatever fire that had surged to intimidate Tarak surged again, this time burning any infection away ... though drops of her blood still spattered on the snow.

Three more attacked Stormrir. The big mount screamed and reared, but one got a hit in. But Njal again heard the Spirits whisper: the creatures' infection hadn't leapt from the rats to his mount.

They were, for a few more seconds, still alive. And more of the rats were swarming around to Maxis and Stormrir's flanks.

Show

Spoiler: Tactical Notes
    Show

Initiative Order:
    Verglas: 15 <---- We're here right now.

Summary:
    Everyone who had to, made their Fort saves, no disease transmission.
    However:
    - Njal takes 4 damage
    - Maxis takes a total of 6 damage.
    - Stormrir takes 3 damage.

I'm afraid Roland's strike/roll was 1 short. But plate armour has its advantages, clearly, not one of the five attacks he took got past his AC, even with some flanking in there.

Over to you guys again - we're in normal rounds now.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Njal

Njal looked in shock as Roland leapt down, the man's strange fighting style seeming to attract all of the rats' attention! "Stay up the horse ye crazed man!" Njal will mutter, as he looks at the rats sneaking around the side of them. "Get a line together folks, we'll stop 'em flanking us!" Saying that he swings down with the sabretoothed skull club as Gromirr leaps into behind and the horse rears up, iron shod hooves smashing and prancing on the ground.

Show

Njal: attack Rat16 (1d8+7)[8] dam (1d8+3)[11]
    Stormrir: Start at Rat 17, then Rat 16 if 12 goes down
    (1d20+6)[23] dam (1d6+4)[8] (1d20+6)[8] dam (1d6+4)[9] (1d20+1)[13] dam (1d4+2)[5]
    Gromrir - move to H2 attack rat #18 (1d20+6)[12] dam (1d6+4)[6] and trip (1d20+3)[21] vs (1d20)[2] (-4 for the small rat!)

Hps 22 / 26 Saves +6 /2 /6 (+2 Vs cold)

Stormrir
    27/30 hp (4HD) Init +1 Speed 50 ft Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +2
    BAB/Grapple +3/+11

29 hp (4HD) Init +3 Speed 40 ft Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +2
    BAB/Grapple +3/+6
    Feats: Alertness, Track, Improved Natural attack (bite) / Link, Share spells, Evasion

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Verglas Ulizgrant

As Roland vaults from the saddle, Verglas tries to avoid pitching backwards in an equal-and-opposite manner. She lunges forward to grab the reins, just in case she thinks of something useful to do with them later. For the time being, though, she tries to help out with the not-getting surrounded thing that Njal suggested. That made good sense.

"Let's see if I can cut the left flank off, right? Left, Left. And by cut it off, I mean blind it. Don't be afraid, Maxis!"

She tries to send a ball of fun dust off to encapsulate the rats trying to angle around behind Maxis.

Show
    Verglas auto-succeeds on the concentration check to cast on horseback. She is not casting defensively. Her AC is 13.

Move action: take the reins.

Standard action: Cast glitterdust so as to include Rats 1, 6,7 and 2 in the 20' burst. Will DC 16 or blinded for 4 rounds.

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Verglas Ulizgrant
    Female Lawful Neutral Ice Gnome Wizard (Transmuter), Level 3, Init 2, HP 20/20, Speed 20'
    AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 11, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 3, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Light Crossbow (10) +4 (1d6, 19-20)
    Quarterstaff +0 (1d4-2, x2)
    Mage Armour (+2 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 12
    Condition Endure Elements

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Early Afternoon, Day 2

Verglas's spell exploded over the left flank, and with a chorus of disgusting squeaks, tiny golden motes shrouded every inch of the four rodents she'd targeted. The oversized rats pawed at their eyes, all seemingly blinded by the sudden spell. Maxis had dropped into defence, seeking to keep the rats assailing her at bay, and hardly noticed the sudden whipcrack of magic to her left.

Njal swung with his massive club from horseback, but the damnable rats were faster than they looked, and the one he'd aimed at dodged his blow.

Stormrir and Gromnir had more luck. The big horse's hooves went up, and squashed one dire rat flat beneath them, sending a sudden spray of red across the snow. Gromnir pounced, catching another of the rats in his teeth and breaking its neck with one expert canine shake of his jaws!

Show

MapTools is still giving me problems with the grid, so again go by grid references rather than the map where there's any doubt. Funky colours on the rats just represent the ones that have been hit by Verglas's Glitterdust spell.

Show

All 4 rats fail their Will saves, so, all 4 are blinded. Two rats down and dead; lots more still coming. Maxis uses total defense, as said, which raises her AC by +4 for 1 round.

The Initiative Count:
    Roland: 21 <---- We're back up here!
    Verglas: 15

Over to you guys again!

24. - Top - End - #144

SwashbucklerGuy

Roland
    AC 21; HP 36/36
    Condition: -

Roland is entirely too focused on the surging swarm to hear Njal or Verglas, their words falling on deaf ears as the rats lunge at him from all sides. Roland stands firm, their teeth and claws clanking uselessly against his armor and his shield. Gritting his teeth, he swings his shield in front of him to try and create some distance, then turns to bring his hammer down on the rat nearest Ember and Maxis. He can feel the Red Lady's hand surging with his own, a whispered promise of healing warmth if he can only smite her enemy.

Show

Crusader's Strike: (1d20+7)[18]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[8]
    Heal Maxis on hit: (1d6+3)[6]

Spoiler: Crusader's Strike
    Show

As part of initiating this strike, you must make a successful melee attack against an enemy whose alignment has at least one component different from yours. This foe must pose a threat to you or your allies in some direct, immediate way. If your attack hits, you or an ally within 10 feet of you heals 1d6 points of damage + 1 point per initiator level (maximum +5).

Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-07-20 at 07:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Verglas Ulizgrant

What Verglas lacks in grace she makes up for in urgency as she snatches her crossbow off her back and slides a bolt home. Surveying the field from the elevated position of Gromnir's saddle, she lets fly at one of the rats.

Show
    Free action when combined with a move action - draw crossbow.
    Move action - load crossbow.
    Standard action - fire crossbow at a rat. Preferably one that is not currently in melee, and preferably not one that's already blind.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[6], +1 if being on horseback counts as 'elevated', -4 if she has to shoot at a rat in melee.
    Damage: (1d6)[3]
    Show
    Verglas Ulizgrant
    Female Lawful Neutral Ice Gnome Wizard (Transmuter), Level 3, Init 2, HP 20/20, Speed 20'

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Early Afternoon, Day 2

Roland’s strike was true, and sent the dead rat’s body wheeling through the air. And the Firekeeper’s blessing was with him still, as energy crackled like lightning leaping between clouds and limned Maxis, closing all of her wounds just as quickly as they’d been opened.

The rats surged towards them. Those glittering with Verglas’s dust scented the air, hunger and desperation moving them in the direction of the adventurers. One closed in, sniffing the air … and leapt at the gnome mage, sinking its teeth into her thigh, drawing blood. The wound began to sting – but some instinct concentrated her senses, pushing the infection back, obliterating it. Barely.

The other three rats on the left flank snapped at Maxis, but here at least the blinding effect of the glitterdust had its desired effect; not one of those strikes got through her defences. Two more swiped at her, but the cleric’s defence was strong enough that none connected.

More of them swarmed in on Roland, replacing those that had been crushed. Again he worked both shield and maul, and there were two more clanks on his armour … but then, a burning pain at his hip just where the armour plates had a gap. Training and instinct told him from the fiery sensation at his hip, together with the slimy feel of rat spit, that some disease had entered him, despite his defence, even as he brushed the furry little horror away.

On the right, the rats swarmed around Gromrir, Stormrir, and Njal’s position. One rat got its teeth in Stormrir again, and a yelp from Gromrir announced that the wolf had been bitten – but Njal’s link with both animals somehow assured him no disease had entered their bodies yet.

A last rat leapt at Njal from behind, with terrifying acrobatism, and he felt sharp teeth plunge into his arm once more, blood flowing freely. Still, he managed to shake the vermin off before it had a chance to poison his wound – even as Verglas fumbled her crossbow into her hands and sent a crossbow bolt screaming off into the wind.

Show

Show

- Maxis is healed 6 points and thus is at full health.

- Njal takes another 4 hitpoints of damage.
    - Verglas takes 3 hitpoints of damage. (And barely saved against being infected - Roll of 5, modifier of 6 against DC 11!)
    - Roland takes 2 hitpoints of damage, and has been infected with filth fever. Incubation period 1 day, 3 DEX and 3 CON damage this time tomorrow unless he’s cured in the meantime. Sorry man, Fort roll of 2 even with his solid modifier isn't enough to get over the DC.
    - Gromrir takes 2 hitpoints of damage.
    - Stormrir takes another 2 hitpoints of damage.

Initiative Order:
    Verglas: 15 .
    Njal: 13 <--- We are here now as Verglas’s shot went wide.

Over to you guys!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Njal

The dwarf grunts as tiny teeth bite into him as he bellows a roar of rage. Spinning he swings the tiger skull club, teeth seeking to rip the rat from the back of the horse. Under him Stormrir continued to rear and stomp seeking to crush the carpet of dire rats. The wolf hung back teeth bared seeking to kill another one.

Show

Njal attack #19 (1d20+7)[26] dam (1d8+2)[8]
    Gromrir attacks #19 or #20 (1d20+6)[16] dam (1d6+4)[8]
    Stormrir attacks nearest (1d20+6)[13] dam (1d6+4)[7] (1d20+6)[10] dam (1d6+4)[9] (1d20+1)[12] dam (1d4+2)[4]

Hps 20 / 26 Saves +6 /2 /6 (+2 Vs cold)

Conditions:
    Filthfever (incubation 1 day, 3 str/3dex)

Stormrir
    25/30 hp (4HD) Init +1 Speed 50 ft Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +2
    BAB/Grapple +3/+11

27/29 hp (4HD) Init +3 Speed 40 ft Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +2
    BAB/Grapple +3/+6

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Verglas Ulizgrant

Verglas protests the rat bite with a brief, high-pitched shriek, but then gets back to the business of not dying. Trying to weave away from the cursed rat, she sends an icy ray down at the blasted thing, then works to recock her crossbow.

Show
    Standard action - use Verglas' Ice Gnome Ray of Frost SLA.
    Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage: (1d3)[3]
    Move action - load crossbow.
    Show
    Verglas Ulizgrant
    Female Lawful Neutral Ice Gnome Wizard (Transmuter), Level 3, Init 2, HP 17/20, Speed 20'

29. - Top - End - #149

SwashbucklerGuy

Roland
    AC 21; HP 36/36
    Steely Resolve: 2 (delayed damage pool)
    Condition: Filth Fever (Incubation 1 day)

A stab of pain forces a grunt from Roland as filth and corruption begin flowing through his veins. Even so, he tries to shrug it off, battering the rat aside with his shield and using the pain to steel his resolve. He winds up a crushing blow on the rat to his other side, letting a roar escape his lips as he drives his hammer down towards it, hoping to crush it under the weight of his counter-attack.

Show

Standard action: Furious counterstrike (+1 attack/dmg)
    Maul attack on E5 Rat: (1d20+8)[20]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[11]

Prepare to use Shield Block as an Immediate Action off-turn, prioritizing blocking for Verglas and Njal if possible (not sure they count as adjacent), or Ember and Stormrir if not.

Spoiler: Shield Block
    Show

As an immediate action, you can grant an AC bonus to an adjacent ally equal to your shield's AC bonus + 4. You apply this bonus in response to a single melee or ranged attack that targets your ally. You can initiate this maneuver after an opponent makes his attack roll, but you must do so before you know whether the attack was a success or a failure.

Spoiler: Furious Counterstrike
    Show

Furious Counterstrike (Ex): You can channel the pain of your injuries into a boiling rage that lets you lash out at your enemies with renewed vigor and power. Each attack that strikes you only pushes you onward to greater glory. During your turn, you gain a bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls equal to the current value of your delayed damage pool (see steely resolve, above) divided by 5, and rounding down (minimum +1).

Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-07-25 at 04:27 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Early Afternoon, Day 2

The rats pressed in, biting and scratching again and again.

Maxis remained silent, batting back the creatures where she could, fighting defensively. Two of them were blinded and missed. But another leapt at her neck, in a movement that was surely only possible because there were so many of the damn things. The creature got purchase and sank its molars into her neck, setting blood flowing, and sending its pestilence flooding the cleric’s veins. And while she was distracted, another bit into her leg, drawing its own blood.

Roland had his balance now and finally got his range. His maul cracked out and turned one of the rats into a red smear against the snow. He sensed movement from in the corner of his eye. Snapped around with his shield out. There was a hollow bong and a rat fell away from the metal wall; it had been only inches from Stormrir’s flank. And all the while, the staccato clank of rat teeth and claws against his armour drummed on.

Njal’s tigerskull club whistled in the freezing air and caught another rat square, sending its broken body wheeling off into the snow. Gromnir grabbed another and crushed it between his fangs. None of Stormrir’s strikes connected, though, and another rat bit into the noble steed’s leg, drawing more blood … though once more, no infection had entered its veins.

Verglas, though, was in trouble. Seeming to smell her blood, the rats on the left flank swarmed her. They leapt, got purchase on Ember’s form, and were biting at her, again and again and again. One rat’s deep puncture into her shoulder set a burning in her blood; she was sure she’d been tainted with the horrible disease of the creatures. Angered, she sent a blast of ice into the creature that had bitten her, and it screamed with rage. She fumbled at her crossbow. And dropped her defences. The rats leaped in at her again. One got to her throat, but the glittering dust all over its form made it blink at a crucial second and it missed. But another bit at her shoulder, puncturing her deeply. Her skin was slick with red and there was a coppery smell in her nose. The rats shrieked their blood frenzy to the grey sky…

Show

Show

- 10 more damage and infection with filth fever on Verglas this round. 1 day incubation period, 2 DEX and 1 CON damage. Natural 1 on the Fort roll, I’m afraid. On top of that, reloading the crossbow draws attacks of opportunity from the rats – Verglas wore three of them. 1 missed, 1 was blind from the Glitterdust, and 1 was a confirmed critical hit.

- 5 damage and infection with filth fever on Maxis. 1 day incubation period, 1 DEX and 3 CON damage. Even allowing for total defense, one rat still rolled above her adjusted AC and another got a natural 20, albeit it didn’t confirm the critical.

- 3 more damage on Stormrir, though Roland’s shield block stopped one of them getting through.

- Njal isn’t infected with filth fever, at least not yet – it was Roland who got infected last round, not our hearty dwarf druid :)

- Roland protects Stormrir because Njal and Verglas are not deemed adjacent to him I’m afraid.

- I wonder whether Maxis might have a phobia of rats? It could explain the actions thus far, just a suggestion for reasoning out her actions in the fight thus far. As said I understand people have issues posting, I just thought that might be an interesting character explanation for what’s happened thus far.

Initiative Order:
    Verglas: 15 .
    Njal: 13 <---- We are here now, Verglas having reloaded.
    Maxis: 8:

Over to you guys!

EDIT: I forgot to include what the results of infection on Maxis were. These are now included above.