New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Best Lvl 5 PVP character

So me and some friends are thinking of having an arena-like dnd tournament at our gaming guilds Halloween party saturday. The terrain will be randomly drawn and can be pretty much anything. The characters are all going to be level 5 and will have to face each other in 1V1 or 1V1V1 battles depending on how many people we have playing. Im trying to think of a couple of characters to enter in the tournament (I think were going to let everyone make 2-3 characters and choose between them based on the terrain and/or their opponent)
    What would you suggest making? Right now Im thinking I should make a Druid or a Ninja and go for stealth. Anything goes in terms of what material you can use, so long as its not homebrew. Give me your nastiest characters guys!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Best Lvl 5 PVP character

If you're allowed an animal companion, druid is a very good bet.

Don't neglect your will save or you'll fall to the wizard who spams SOL.

And I think a rogue has a good bet at staying undetectable for most of the fight, and one-shotting the opponent with sneak attack.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

5th level koblold wizard.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

1st level kobold psion.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Bard/Marshall. Let the other two combatants fight it out. When one starts losing, buff him. When he wins, drop the buffs. Now you get to fight the weaker of two opponents, and he's already down on hit points.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Criz Reborn View Post
    Give me your nastiest characters guys!
    *shrug* You asked for it.

Pun-Pun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

7. - Top - End - #7

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    5th level koblold wizard.
    ive never really played or seen anyone play a kobold, why do you say that? For the bonus to hide or something?

8. - Top - End - #8

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    *shrug* You asked for it.

Pun-Pun.
    whats sad is I just thought of this right before you asked for it, Im pretty sure nobody would allow pun-pun... but hey if they dont think of it themselves then itd be funny

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I forget...is the infinite damage build possible at level 5? Or was it 7?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The Top Three (Wizard, Cleric, and Druid) all begin to come into their own at 5, with 3rd-level spells. Druids seem like the best choice, as they can Wildshape starting at 5th, but remember you don't get Natural Spell until 6th level, limiting your CoDzillaness. Wizards can really wreck things without a good will save at this level; I'd go with that.

Barbarian's actually a good choice if you start within 80 feet or so, although they'd be much better if this was level six and you could get Leap Attack. (Barb 6: Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Leap Attack). With a +1 Greatsword, you're doing 2d6+21+2*Str if you PA for full, which will one-shot most d4 and many d6 characters at this level. But that really only works on the first round.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-10-25 at 11:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Which one? Bassethound's infinitely repeating tiny axe? Cause I think that's lvl 13...
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

What sort of races are you restricted to?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Which one? Bassethound's infinitely repeating tiny axe? Cause I think that's lvl 13...
    Yeah, that one.

Huh, I thought it was closer to 7...

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

If you have complete arcane, you might want to look at the spell duels section.
    Mr. Scruffy is going to be Belkar's animal compainion!

Pround member of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that one.

It requires, IIRC, a 6th level stance from ToB and a 1st level Cleric spell, and the Imbued Healing Feat. That means 12 levels of Crusader and a level of Cleric - for 13 levels total.

It's still awesome, though.

Is there any way to make this guy a Warforged Damn Crab or something?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Are Gestalt PCs an option?

With LA buydown rules in effect you could take a +1 template as being paid down.

A Half Iron Golem Barbarian with a Hat of Disguise would be interesting.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2007-10-25 at 12:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that one.

BassetKing's original build was ECL 14, I believe (Cleric 1/Crusader 13).

You can get it down to ECL 9 with Bloodline levels.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

1st level Rogue Pixie (ECL 5). Greater Invisibility and arrows of Sleep.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Char 1: Strongheart halfling warblade. This is for dealing with adversaries built for physical combat. You have three feats plus a warblade bonus feat, so take Weapon Finesse, Combat Expertise, Martial Study (Counter Charge), and Improved Initiative. Get a mithral shield and good armor, enchant 'em. Do whatever you can to boost Concentration (custom +5 item, Con boosting...taking a flaw for Skill Focus will, in this one instance, not be frowned upon). You use counter charge to foil charger builds, because they are death. Uncanny Dodge foils most sneak attack builds. Max Tumble to deal with AoO builds. Your primary tactic: Insightful Strike to blatantly ignore your low damage roll the first round; fight defensively + full combat expertise on an attack and recover maneuvers the second round; continue as above until enemy is defeated. The theory is simply this: you have good HD and Con, so your hp should be comparable if not superior to most opponents save maybe barbarians. You'll probably have a better to-hit ratio than your opponent. Even numbered rounds are useless to both of you, but in odd-numbered rounds, you're dealing at least 1d20+10 (you could probably get it up to 1d20+20 or so if you take flaws and focus at it). The opponent is not doing nearly that much unless it is power attacking, and then it has a low chance of hitting your AC thanks to Dex + magic armor + magic shield + size. You win through attrition.

Note: This char can also be used to deal with casters if you keep Moment of Perfect Mind readied and the caster doesn't fly.

Char 2: Human psion. Kineticist. This is for dealing with casters, particularly arcanists, since they fly. Privileged Energy (fire or cold, as you choose) (CPs), Overchannel, and Psionic Mastery (CPs) are the prime feats. Take advantage of their low HD and poor Fort or Ref saves to blast with Energy Missiles for 5d6+10. If they protect from your favored energy, take care of it by Overchanneling a Targeted Dispel Psionics using Practiced Manifester for an automatic result of 17--that will auto-counter any buffs or protections on them. I'd say your best move is to use Synchronicity (CPs) to ready an Energy Missile, and use it either when they try to cast a spell (interrupting the spell with a massive Concentration check) or when their turn elapses if they try to avoid casting. Basically, you shut them down with fire. Or cold.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2007-10-25 at 12:45 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sources: Ghostwalk and the WOTC website.

Human Ghost 1/Eidolon 4, using the Savage Progression found here:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a

Take only the first level of ghost, and put your other levels in Eidolon. Boost Charisma as much as you can afford with Dex being your other primary stat. Use your first level feat and human bonus feat to get dodge and mobility. Use your third level feat to get spring attack.
    Eidolon will get you 3 bonus ghost feats. Take corrupting touch, enervating touch, and one other of your choice to compliment your strategy, or maybe give you some better protection.

Equipment isn't too important, get some potions to protect yourself from nastier effects, like shield for magic missiles.

In combat hide in the floor, spring attack up, touch the target, and spring attack back down into the floor again. Non ghost-touch weapons have only a 50% chance of striking at all, and so do almost all spells aside from magic missile. Virtually everything that could possibly hurt you requires line of effect and nobody will have it as long as you always end your turn inside some solid object. Each of your touches, against only touch AC, inflicts nontyped 1d4 damage, and will bestow a negative level on your target unless the target succeeds on a save, and your high charisma will make that save iffy (it also ups your AC).

It's hardly unbeatable, however. Beware the high-cha cleric with a reserved action to turn undead as soon as you appear.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Criz Reborn View Post
    ive never really played or seen anyone play a kobold, why do you say that? For the bonus to hide or something?
    That's Pun Pun. A fifth level kobold wizard.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    That's Pun Pun. A fifth level kobold wizard.
    As I recall, the (singular) wizard level is only there to get the familiar. The real source of power is the Divine Minion template and the three levels of Master of Many Forms.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

In a low-level arena, Alter Self is a house, as is Rope Trick. You'll probably want to be a Cleric with the Magic Domain, and you'll definitely want to be an Outsider. Throw down Rope Trick, head inside to cast all your buffs, turn into an Ice Mephit or Dwarf Ancestor or whatever, and smash. You get Hold Person to hit low Will save people, Silence to mess up spellcasters, and pretty much every other spell in the game if you want it.

Here are some threats you should have a plan for (many have already been mentioned):
    Flying opponents
    Invisibile opponents
    Uberchargers
    High-reach AoO builds
    "Will Save or lose" spells
    Stealth characters (+20 or more to Move Silently and Hide is easy at this level)
    Long-range ranged attackers
    Summoners (they can easily throw down creatures in the 4-5 CR range)
    Artificers (dumpster dive for good spells; you can cast Wall of Stone at character level 3, as just one example).

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    1st level Rogue Pixie (ECL 5). Greater Invisibility and arrows of Sleep.
    A few questions about this. Are you certain they get the arrows of sleep? I'm looking at the Pixies as Characters bit. Which takes precedence, that entry for PCs or the monster entry?
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

25. - Top - End - #25

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hasivel View Post
    Sources: Ghostwalk and the WOTC website.

Human Ghost 1/Eidolon 4, using the Savage Progression found here:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a

Take only the first level of ghost, and put your other levels in Eidolon. Boost Charisma as much as you can afford with Dex being your other primary stat. Use your first level feat and human bonus feat to get dodge and mobility. Use your third level feat to get spring attack.
    Eidolon will get you 3 bonus ghost feats. Take corrupting touch, enervating touch, and one other of your choice to compliment your strategy, or maybe give you some better protection.

Equipment isn't too important, get some potions to protect yourself from nastier effects, like shield for magic missiles.

In combat hide in the floor, spring attack up, touch the target, and spring attack back down into the floor again. Non ghost-touch weapons have only a 50% chance of striking at all, and so do almost all spells aside from magic missile. Virtually everything that could possibly hurt you requires line of effect and nobody will have it as long as you always end your turn inside some solid object. Each of your touches, against only touch AC, inflicts nontyped 1d4 damage, and will bestow a negative level on your target unless the target succeeds on a save, and your high charisma will make that save iffy (it also ups your AC).

It's hardly unbeatable, however. Beware the high-cha cleric with a reserved action to turn undead as soon as you appear.
    I like this idea a lot. Im not very familiar with the sources but Im going to look them up. Also, I just found out one of my friends plans to create a psion, any classes or feats or anything I can take to just shut him down?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce_LeRue View Post
    A few questions about this. Are you certain they get the arrows of sleep? I'm looking at the Pixies as Characters bit. Which takes precedence, that entry for PCs or the monster entry?
    Savage Species has a price for arrows of sleep that pixies can pay for to craft.

But I certainly wouldn't play a pixie rogue in an ECL 5 game. The HP will be so low a single hit from virtually anything will kill it instantly, and the pixie won't have evasion so 1 fireball, f'rex, and it's all over even if the pixie makes it save. Invisibility won't help since it's an AoO spell and there's plenty of counters for invisibility anyway; See Invisible's only a second level spell and glitterdust is easy to get.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

For dealing with casters, especially wizards, a whisper gnome fighter with silence strike is ideal...You silence the caster, no save if you hit. Improved initiative and somewhat high dex for TWF and you're set...

Feats:
    1)quick draw-silencing strike
    2)improved initiative
    3)two weapon fighting
    +2 level rogue
    and one level rogue. You take the initiative easilly. Attack with main hand and offhand, make the main hand attack a silencing strike(silence, no save). The caster hasn't had time to buff up so he has pretty sucky AC. He probably won't be able to cast anything after that or at least won't be able to use his higher level spells and will be restricted to 2nd level spells(that's for level 5) so he can't fly to get away...after that it's a pretty easy fight...no spells to cast, no defence and no way to escape...This build might also work well enough with melee classes too...Also silencing strike is good for any level caster...Might have trouble though with a CoDzilla but those aren't much of a competition for anyone...

As it was mentioned Pun Pun needs 5 levels. 1 level divine minion, 1 level wizard and 3 master of many forms. Link for Pun Pun and other campaign smashers:
    http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=491801
    *warning not to be taken seriously for campaigns as warned in the thread for those seeing this for the first time*

28. - Top - End - #28

Infinite damage is possible earlier than level 5, actually.

Also, the new build for Pun Pun works at LEVEL ONE. Not level 5.
    Last edited by OneWinged4ngel; 2007-10-25 at 07:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Buff time?

No? 3 Rounds? 10 min & hour buffs? ...

Arena?

How high? Hiding Places? ...

Starting Position?

Charging Distance? Barabrian Charging? Close Range Spells? ...

As mentioned Druid or Cleric are probably your best bets.

A rogue hiding the enemies buffs out seems nice too.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by kemmotar View Post
    For dealing with casters, especially wizards, a whisper gnome fighter with silence strike is ideal...You silence the caster, no save if you hit. Improved initiative and somewhat high dex for TWF and you're set...
    I like this idea (whispergnomes ROCK), but I think it could be made a bit better. You don't need Silencing Strike, since whispergnomes get silence 1/day on themselves.

Be a whispergnome rogue with the Dark template (Tome of Magic, LA+1) for Hide in Plain Sight in anything but full daylight. Hide, then silence yourself, then sneak up to 30 ft of your enemy and sneak attack with a bow. You can make a Hide check with a -20 penalty to snipe and stay hidden, easily done with a whispergnome. Sneak Attack your opponent to death without them ever knowing where you are. Having something to provide shadow is quite helpful as well, in case it IS full daylight.
    Veryn's Sliver, by Talfrey:
    Spoiler
    Show