New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Does anyone know what this brainteaser is called or how it works?

I remember seeing an illusion or brainteaser in a couple of different places where it was an image of a crowd cut into three pieces that could be rearranged into another image of a crowd with a different number of people in it, despite none of the pieces having any obvious half-a-person on the edges.

I can't seem to find a copy of it on Google or Yahoo, does anybody have one they can link to?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Does anyone know what this brainteaser is called or how it works?

Never seen or heard of it, but I suspect it's related to the chocolate bar trick.
    If so, multiple people will be made slightly thinner than they originally were, in order to create new people. Or vice versa.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

3. - Top - End - #3

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    That one is just straight up cheating, no illusion at all involved.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    That is exactly the one. Thank you
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Never seen or heard of it, but I suspect it's related to the chocolate bar trick.
    If so, multiple people will be made slightly thinner than they originally were, in order to create new people. Or vice versa.
    I've never seen it done with chocolate before, that amused me.

Spoiler: If anyone wants an explanation
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #7

I vaguely remember the people one from a long time ago. I guess I could see the transition easily enough, as what baked my noodle for the longest time was thinking that it must be a musical solution.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The chocolate bar one is actually the same trick as the one with the people (though in a simpler form), but the triangle one Peelee posted is slightly different. The chocolate and people ones are both based on making each column a little bit shorter, while the triangle one is based on a line being almost straight, but bulging up slightly in one picture and down slightly in the other.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    The chocolate bar one is actually the same trick as the one with the people (though in a simpler form), but the triangle one Peelee posted is slightly different. The chocolate and people ones are both based on making each column a little bit shorter, while the triangle one is based on a line being almost straight, but bulging up slightly in one picture and down slightly in the other.
    Not really; the chocolate bar is more or less a live-action demonstration of the triangle, but with different cuts. If you look at a freeze-frame at 1:31 and then 1:52, you can clearly see a noticeable gap, which is conveniently going to make up most of the volume as the "extra" piece. It is also slightly shorter (and readily obvious when you look at the single column they cut out right beside it), but they're trying to hide that by widening the kerf.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    That one is just straight up cheating, no illusion at all involved.
    It's not cheating at all--if you look at the cuts made and how the picture is put together, they haven't done anything "wrong"; in fact, it's arguably less of a cheat than the "cutting up chocolate" puzzle is, because in that case, you're explicitly trying to fool people into not noticing that a chunk of chocolate is actually missing. It's just a very cleverly drawn picture.