New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Artificer / Artillerist

Good Evening everyone!

I am starting a campaign with a total of 5 people. The DM (an old friend of mine) is running a massive homebrew campaign for us. I have decided (with the dms suggestion) that I am going to run the Artificer. I am an engineer by trade and the "creativity" it suggests is possible via class flavor seems like an absolute blast and fits perfectly for how I like to creatively solve problems in RP/Combat. There is one thing I am still caught up in. I'm not exactly sure how the class flavor I am excited about actually plays in a game!! I understand you can tinker and create things, but how? What items are there that I can make? With proficiency in so many tools can I freely just tinker and make things? I completely understand the infusions and how they work and the limitations therein. Its how I can craft items or "tinker" and make things that confuses me. The DM has allowed me to use firearms in this campaign and even upped it from the normal renaissance weapons to modern and allowed me a Hunting rifle. All of this seems like a blast but I feel like i still don't grasp the details of how i can really effectively play this class! Just HOW creative can i get? Or am I reading too much into the class flavor? Below I will list my level 3 character I came up with and I am happy to give any other details you might need. Suggestions are Super welcome here. The only thing I want to stick with is the artillerist subclass. It fits our group really well and I like the idea of it. Thank you all in advance for the help! I am not necessarily completely new to 5e, I've got about 300 hours in to playing it but usually stick with the common classes and try to get as creative with the spells/skills as possible! Not necessarily trying to min/max but I don't mind doing it either! Thank you everyone for your help!

Link to character I came up with so far!

ddb.ac/characters/27768792/nihDK4

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Artificer / Artillerist

The basic concept for how artificer cast using tools allows you tinker to your heart's content within the logic of your game. Sanctuary can be floating magic stones that block attacks, web is a shoulder mounted cannon made from the abdomen of a giant spider, shatter is a specially tuned kazoo. Go crazy.
    Then you have infusions that let you do this all over again.

As far as crafting crafting you are left with ask your DM. Maybe ask if they can add schematics as potential treasure.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Arsunick View Post
    Good Evening everyone!

I am starting a campaign with a total of 5 people. The DM (an old friend of mine) is running a massive homebrew campaign for us. I have decided (with the dms suggestion) that I am going to run the Artificer. I am an engineer by trade and the "creativity" it suggests is possible via class flavor seems like an absolute blast and fits perfectly for how I like to creatively solve problems in RP/Combat. There is one thing I am still caught up in. I'm not exactly sure how the class flavor I am excited about actually plays in a game!! I understand you can tinker and create things, but how? What items are there that I can make? With proficiency in so many tools can I freely just tinker and make things? I completely understand the infusions and how they work and the limitations therein. Its how I can craft items or "tinker" and make things that confuses me. The DM has allowed me to use firearms in this campaign and even upped it from the normal renaissance weapons to modern and allowed me a Hunting rifle. All of this seems like a blast but I feel like i still don't grasp the details of how i can really effectively play this class! Just HOW creative can i get? Or am I reading too much into the class flavor? Below I will list my level 3 character I came up with and I am happy to give any other details you might need. Suggestions are Super welcome here. The only thing I want to stick with is the artillerist subclass. It fits our group really well and I like the idea of it. Thank you all in advance for the help! I am not necessarily completely new to 5e, I've got about 300 hours in to playing it but usually stick with the common classes and try to get as creative with the spells/skills as possible! Not necessarily trying to min/max but I don't mind doing it either! Thank you everyone for your help!

Link to character I came up with so far!

ddb.ac/characters/27768792/nihDK4
    No, you can't tinker to your heart's content. What you can do and are encouraged to do is to think up ideas for inventions that you like (e.g. Goonies' Slick Shoes) and map them to spells on the Artificer spell list (like Grease), and pretend that you're using a gadget instead of a spell. But Rising From the Last War also makes it very clear that you're really still casting spells just anybody else, you still need to say magic words (verbal components) and wiggle your fingers (somatic components), and you can still be Counterspelled.

I think this was a mistake, to insist that the Artificer gains no mechanical benefits from their unique magic style. What they should have done, and what you should ask your DM for, is that you prepare specific inventions during your long rest (spending your Artificer spell slots then, on spells and/or turrets), and then you use your inventions later on as an action, but in exchange for being locked in to specific spells like an AD&D wizard, there are no verbal or somatic components needed and your inventions can't be Counterspelled. AD&D wizards complain of feeling like Batman with a belt of gadgets instead of an actual fantasy wizard, but for an Artificer, Batman's Utility Belt is exactly the way your gadgets should feel!

Devices which require concentration are finicky and can be modeled as requiring constant attention from the Artificer to keep them stable.

It might be appropriate to give this kind of Artificer one extra spell slot of each level. I'm still thinking that one over. But it definitely results in a more gadgeteer feel.

4. - Top - End - #4

That's a really good idea. Fully prepared style casting through items. Now if there's only a way to store shatter into something to make a landmine/claymore.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    No, you can't tinker to your heart's content. What you can do and are encouraged to do is to think up ideas for inventions that you like (e.g. Goonies' Slick Shoes) and map them to spells on the Artificer spell list (like Grease), and pretend that you're using a gadget instead of a spell. But Rising From the Last War also makes it very clear that you're really still casting spells just anybody else, you still need to say magic words (verbal components) and wiggle your fingers (somatic components), and you can still be Counterspelled.

I think this was a mistake, to insist that the Artificer gains no mechanical benefits from their unique magic style. What they should have done, and what you should ask your DM for, is that you prepare specific inventions during your long rest (spending your Artificer spell slots then, on spells and/or turrets), and then you use your inventions later on as an action, but in exchange for being locked in to specific spells like an AD&D wizard, there are no verbal or somatic components needed and your inventions can't be Counterspelled. AD&D wizards complain of feeling like Batman with a belt of gadgets instead of an actual fantasy wizard, but for an Artificer, Batman's Utility Belt is exactly the way your gadgets should feel!

Devices which require concentration are finicky and can be modeled as requiring constant attention from the Artificer to keep them stable.

It might be appropriate to give this kind of Artificer one extra spell slot of each level. I'm still thinking that one over. But it definitely results in a more gadgeteer feel.
    I have to say that I really love the flavor of this concept. It's a huge nerf to artificer spell casting but super fun. It might help mitigate the spells cast through the devices don't require your concentration and can only be ended by disabling the device. Maybe artificers can repair or recharge their devices over a short rest to make up for the decreased flexibility.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Another option would be to go with less spells, but make gadgets with charges. You only get to cast a small number of spells but you can cast them many times (maybe at will at high level). Mechanically, it would probably end up being similar to Warlock's pact magic, except you get more castings and no recharge on a short rest.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Here, read this post starting with "The Tools of Magic," it should have all the information and ideas you need to get started:

http://keith-baker.com/dm-artificer/

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by kaervaak View Post
    I have to say that I really love the flavor of this concept. It's a huge nerf to artificer spell casting but super fun. It might help mitigate the spells cast through the devices don't require your concentration and can only be ended by disabling the device. Maybe artificers can repair or recharge their devices over a short rest to make up for the decreased flexibility.
    Yeah, that might be appropriate. My hesitation on that point is actually about not wanting to steal the Artificer's own level 11 thunder. Try it and let me know how it goes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

All this information is fantastic. ESPECIALLY that massive article that was linked. I have already set a time to do some planning with my DM for the flavor of how I am going to create my "spells" and how they are going to work! Thank you everyone. Now, are there recommendations on how to build one properly with spells, attacks, etc? I noticed that guns require DEX but artillerist still uses INT as a modifir making it feel like more of a caster still similar to Alchemist. I have read a couple "guides" but nothing specific to artillerist. Tips would help! I dont necessarily want to be broken or OP but want to make sure I dont ruin the fun I am trying to have! I am aiming at (haha) dps with very minor support as we have a Life Domain Cleric and Bard in the group already.

Thank you!!!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Read the link in my signature.

As an artificer one of your most powerful spells is Tiny Servant, itty bitty little robots that can use your Spell Storing Item or throw Magic Stones at the very least.

But because you're an engineer, I'm willing to bet you can take it one step further. I'm willing to bet, for example, that you will notice they have a strength score of 4, which for a tiny creature, means it can push, lift, and drag 60 pounds. A tiny servant can be made from any tiny object: you can craft a component to the exact size you require for a given task.

In other words, the Tiny Servants are like little hydraulic pistons you can use as parts of a larger machine.

Now feel free to incorporate all your infused items and other magic in this machine. What could you do with a bag of holding, ie, an object that can go from weighing 15 pounds to weighing 515 pounds in six seconds? An immovable rod that can hold 8000 pounds in mid-air with the click of a button? A spell-storing item with Enlarge/Reduce that can halve or double the weight of an object? All operated by your tiny servants.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2020-04-30 at 08:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Once you get your cannon at level 3, don't underestimate how good the protector is. It can be a tiny object with a climb speed, so it can cling to someone's shoulder, wrist, behind their shield, or live in a pack or pouch (giving it full cover), and effectively heal all allies in a 10' radius 1d8+int_mod as your bonus action. Stick it on one of your front-liners and it will do a ton of work keeping them alive in tough fights.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Magical Tinkering has a ton of uses if you're creative as well:

Cool Things You Can Do with Magical Tinkering:

-The Pen Light: enchant a wooden dowel with minor light Tinkering effect. Use tinker’s tools to create a small metal casing for the dowel with a thumb-actuated pivoting cap, allowing you to carry a negligible-weight point light source you can tuck behind an ear. If your DM is generous, add a lens in front and argue that you should be able to project the beam to illuminate a 5' straight line for 20-40'. Mount it on your head to make a head lamp.

- Forgery: Duplicate a signature or seal on a document, duplicate a document that is less than 25 words long, alter a document by changing up to 25 words. Make a fake ID.

- Sketch artist: Create an image based on your memory or a description from someone else. Helpful for conveying information, especially through a language barrier

- Metronome: The object ticks exact seconds/minutes/hours, etc

- Decoy: Make the sound of running footsteps, cracking branches, nervous breathing, etc so you can plant it somewhere and throw pursuers/searchers off your tracks. Also can duplicate someone's smell or heartbeat to throw off animal based searches

- Self destructing messages: send a message encoded on an object that disappears after 24 hours (or whenever you choose to end the effect)

- Glowing arrows, glowing ball bearings, glowing magnets. Stick-em to all kinds of things.

- Projector: Put a static image on a telescope, shine light through it to project the image onto a surface. You can change the image every 6 seconds to make a low frame rate movie.

- Spa Day: Make pillows or blankets or whatnot that smell nice. Give the party a nice relaxing rest with lavender scented pillows or the sound of soft waves

- The baconator: Wake the party up with the smell of delicious cooking bacon. There's no bacon though, just a rock that smells like bacon.

- The emote hat: make a hat that has words or a picture that changes whenever you touch it.

- The graphic tee: change the designs on your clothes at will

- ID token: Make a thing that you can tell is made with your magic and not some forgery. Great for checking to make sure someone hasn't been replaced with a shapeshifter
    Last edited by kaervaak; 2020-04-30 at 08:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    Read the link in my signature.

As an artificer one of your most powerful spells is Tiny Servant, itty bitty little robots that can use your Spell Storing Item or throw Magic Stones at the very least.

But because you're an engineer, I'm willing to bet you can take it one step further. I'm willing to bet, for example, that you will notice they have a strength score of 4, which for a tiny creature, means it can push, lift, and drag 60 pounds. A tiny servant can be made from any tiny object: you can craft a component to the exact size you require for a given task.

In other words, the Tiny Servants are like little hydraulic pistons you can use as parts of a larger machine.

Now feel free to incorporate all your infused items and other magic in this machine. What could you do with a bag of holding, ie, an object that can go from weighing 15 pounds to weighing 515 pounds in six seconds? An immovable rod that can hold 8000 pounds in mid-air with the click of a button? All operated by your tiny servants.
    Not only is this EXACTLY what I was hoping to do to begin with, the examples given are going to be perfect stepping stones for some serious late night brainstorming! Kinda rough I wont even be able to attempt these things for 6 levels and to maximize their effectiveness until 18 (if we run that long) but I want to give it one hell of a shot! Now to make sure I don't mess up my levels from 3 to 9!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Magical Tinkering has a ton of uses if you're creative as well:

Cool Things You Can Do with Magical Tinkering:

-The Pen Light: enchant a wooden dowel with minor light Tinkering effect. Use tinker’s tools to create a small metal casing for the dowel with a thumb-actuated pivoting cap, allowing you to carry a negligible-weight point light source you can tuck behind an ear. If your DM is generous, add a lens in front and argue that you should be able to project the beam to illuminate a 5' straight line for 20-40'. Mount it on your head to make a head lamp.

- Forgery: Duplicate a signature or seal on a document, duplicate a document that is less than 25 words long, alter a document by changing up to 25 words. Make a fake ID.

- Sketch artist: Create an image based on your memory or a description from someone else. Helpful for conveying information, especially through a language barrier

- Metronome: The object ticks exact seconds/minutes/hours, etc

- Decoy: Make the sound of running footsteps, cracking branches, nervous breathing, etc so you can plant it somewhere and throw pursuers/searchers off your tracks. Also can duplicate someone's smell or heartbeat to throw off animal based searches

- Self destructing messages: send a message encoded on an object that disappears after 24 hours (or whenever you choose to end the effect)

- Glowing arrows, glowing ball bearings, glowing magnets. Stick-em to all kinds of things.

- Projector: Put a static image on a telescope, shine light through it to project the image onto a surface. You can change the image every 6 seconds to make a low frame rate movie.

- Spa Day: Make pillows or blankets or whatnot that smell nice. Give the party a nice relaxing rest with lavender scented pillows or the sound of soft waves

- The baconator: Wake the party up with the smell of delicious cooking bacon. There's no bacon though, just a rock that smells like bacon.

- The emote hat: make a hat that has words or a picture that changes whenever you touch it.

- The graphic tee: change the designs on your clothes at will

- ID token: Make a thing that you can tell is made with your magic and not some forgery. Great for checking to make sure someone hasn't been replaced with a shapeshifter

Haha these are fantastic ideas. Can't wait to use some. The bacon rock, likely to get me pummeled lol!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Not only is this EXACTLY what I was hoping to do to begin with, the examples given are going to be perfect stepping stones for some serious late night brainstorming! Kinda rough I wont even be able to attempt these things for 6 levels and to maximize their effectiveness until 18 (if we run that long) but I want to give it one hell of a shot! Now to make sure I don't mess up my levels from 3 to 9!
    Also, don't forget that your infusions can include common items from Xanathar's Guide to Everything, including the Pot of Awakening. If you have 30 days of downtime you've got a free shrub minion, potentially as many of them as you have months to spend growing them. They aren't quite as versatile as the Tiny Servants because you cant craft them into the exact shape you want, and they can't be as small, but they're still quite useful.

16. - Top - End - #16

Once you get your cannon at level 3, don't underestimate how good the protector is. It can be a tiny object with a climb speed, so it can cling to someone's shoulder, wrist, behind their shield, or live in a pack or pouch (giving it full cover), and effectively heal all allies in a 10' radius 1d8+int_mod as your bonus action. Stick it on one of your front-liners and it will do a ton of work keeping them alive in tough fights.
    Yeah, I second this. I don't know about the full-cover thing or the climb speed, but even without those bits you could make it a force projector or something that spews out sticky ablative webbing, and it is strong especially at low level but even later on. When you consider the ease of pre-combat buffing on top of in-combat buffing, it's probably the strongest turret even when the flamethrower and force ballista bump damage up to 3d8, at level 9.

That is horrifyingly evil.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-04-30 at 08:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

After our first session I have to agree with how strong protector is. DM had a mini boss on the second encounter and the temp HP made a huge difference. Now to plan on leveling up to 4 and what to choose! Feats/ASI?? Lots of research to do! Suggestions are welcome!

18. - Top - End - #18

After our first session I have to agree with how strong protector is. DM had a mini boss on the second encounter and the temp HP made a huge difference. Now to plan on leveling up to 4 and what to choose! Feats/ASI?? Lots of research to do! Suggestions are welcome!
    Artificer gets a lot of mileage from a good INT modifier so while it seems boring it's probably the default choice. Look at flash of genius for example. Increasing your INT modifier by 1 will give you +1 to the value and another use per long rest.

Aberrant dragonmark is also a good feat if you have an odd CON score. Having a short rest spell like shield or absorb elements can stretch your slots further which means more cannons.

Res CON and war caster are always worth a mention.

Ritual caster is great if your party lacks them. Even if your party does have them having a second source never hurts.
    Once you get SSI a familiar launching SR or shatter is a nice boost in your effectiveness. You could also just stick the familiar inside the armor of the party's Frontline tank with cure wounds and turn them into the undertaker for the day.

If you plan to go all the way to 20 shield master is pretty handy with the capstone.+6-7 to all saves and FoG can prevent a ton of damage combined with pseudo evasion. More so for battle Smith but artillerist can build to be in the middle of everything.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    That is horrifyingly evil.
    seconded. (One of my wife's favorite things about when I cook breakfast on the weekends is that she wakes up to the small of bacon cooking ... )
    After our first session I have to agree with how strong protector is. DM had a mini boss on the second encounter and the temp HP made a huge difference.
    Yeah. The only time it isn't that strong is in a spread out fight; you then have to pick whom to protect as you move that little fella around the battlefield.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society