New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default The Easiest Final Boss Ever

I know that the final boss is supposed to be difficult but there is some final boss are just too easy. They don't provided any difficulty to make this game challenging. Here are a few easiest final bosses that I beat:

King Dedede (Kirby's Dreamland GB)
    Bowser (Paper Mario N64)

Have anybody ever beat a final boss that was too easy to beat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Easiest Final Boss Ever

I recall the end boss of Summoner 2: The Goddess Reborn being stupid easy, the hardest part being you had to fight them as an entirely new character (not weak, just new, with none of your usual strategies)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

So, presuming we aren't talking about final bosses that are just there for the story and have no difficulty (say, Final Fantasy X with a last boss that requires a great deal of effort to lose to, or Prince of Persia Two Thrones where winning is a simple matter of making the right narrative choice), there are obviously quite a lot out there.

I'd wonder at putting Bowser from Paper Mario on the list, unless you're talking about his scripted no-difficulty last phase (see above). He's legitimately the most difficult enemy in that game, after all, so a complaint that he's too easy is more a complaint that the game is too easy, and Paper Mario the first is quite consistent in its difficulty (or lack thereof). It was designed to be an RPG for children, after all. Though, a Kirby game is also one of your mentions, and those are among the easiest in all of gaming by design, so... A few good examples of genuinely pathetic final bosses:

Prince of Persia the reboot: In a game with some legitimately challenging bosses (and very little other difficulty to go around), the last boss is disgustingly easy, requiring almost no skill.

Final Fantasy VIII: Compared to the final fights of other games in the series, and even some bosses earlier in her own dungeon, Ultimecia is a joke. If you could get to her, there's no chance you'll lose to her.

Valkyria Chronicles: Compared to every other boss in the game, the last boss just... Isn't terribly threatening. He hits hard but is stuck in an area that makes it hard for him to attack you, and can be defeated in two turns without much trouble. By far the easiest late-game mission, debatably the easiest boss enemy.

And for a relatively recent one, the final boss of Trails of Cold Steel 3 was sad. Admittedly, the series is rarely very hard once you're past the first chapter of each respective game, but 1 and 2 had final bosses that required good tactics, good team composition and grueling fights. I beat the last boss of 3 allowing it only a single turn to act. Not remotely impressive...
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2020-04-15 at 01:38 PM.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Does it count if it really only takes persistence?

The final boss in Darkest Dungeon isn't hard. The dungeon leading to him is dreadful - but the final battle mostly just takes time. It's more .. the story of the end of the game, than it's the big, final battle.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I recall the end boss of Summoner 2: The Goddess Reborn being stupid easy, the hardest part being you had to fight them as an entirely new character (not weak, just new, with none of your usual strategies)
    This surprises me, given that I recall the rest of the game was so balls hard that I never finished it.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    This surprises me, given that I recall the rest of the game was so balls hard that I never finished it.
    Really? I didn't find it hard, myself, though it was occasionally slightly less clear than titanium as to what you were supposed to do next.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Really? I didn't find it hard, myself, though it was occasionally slightly less clear than titanium as to what you were supposed to do next.
    Take that with a potential grain of salt, because the last time I played it I was 10.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'll put in Pokemon X and Y's battle with the Champion, Diantha. No final boss in the Pokemon games is necessarily hard (with a few rare exceptions), but the Champions at least tend to make you battle a lot more carefully than normal, with more complex strategies and wider type variety to counter. Diantha... I can't even remember her team, it was that unmemorable. I don't think any of her mons got past a single turn before I one-shotted them. This is probably partially to blame on X/Y being very generous with experience, so I got by with raw power... but Sun/Moon has the same mechanics, and I consider Kukui from those games to be one of if not the hardest champion in the series.

I dunno. I'd be interested to see if anyone else had any more positive thoughts on Diantha.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The last capital in any Civilization game's Domination victory.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    So, presuming we aren't talking about final bosses that are just there for the story and have no difficulty (say, Final Fantasy X with a last boss that requires a great deal of effort to lose to, or Prince of Persia Two Thrones where winning is a simple matter of making the right narrative choice), there are obviously quite a lot out there.

I'd wonder at putting Bowser from Paper Mario on the list, unless you're talking about his scripted no-difficulty last phase (see above). He's legitimately the most difficult enemy in that game, after all, so a complaint that he's too easy is more a complaint that the game is too easy, and Paper Mario the first is quite consistent in its difficulty (or lack thereof). It was designed to be an RPG for children, after all. Though, a Kirby game is also one of your mentions, and those are among the easiest in all of gaming by design, so... A few good examples of genuinely pathetic final bosses:

Prince of Persia the reboot: In a game with some legitimately challenging bosses (and very little other difficulty to go around), the last boss is disgustingly easy, requiring almost no skill.

Final Fantasy VIII: Compared to the final fights of other games in the series, and even some bosses earlier in her own dungeon, Ultimecia is a joke. If you could get to her, there's no chance you'll lose to her.

Valkyria Chronicles: Compared to every other boss in the game, the last boss just... Isn't terribly threatening. He hits hard but is stuck in an area that makes it hard for him to attack you, and can be defeated in two turns without much trouble. By far the easiest late-game mission, debatably the easiest boss enemy.

And for a relatively recent one, the final boss of Trails of Cold Steel 3 was sad. Admittedly, the series is rarely very hard once you're past the first chapter of each respective game, but 1 and 2 had final bosses that required good tactics, good team composition and grueling fights. I beat the last boss of 3 allowing it only a single turn to act. Not remotely impressive...
    Nice list.

XenoGears is also this way iirc (the FFX way, that is), and so is FFVII I guess.

I nominate River City Ransom. The penultimate boss is way harder than the ultimate boss, who is still a minor threat (as in, not just there for plot).
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

11. - Top - End - #11

Alduin from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. He's not a pushover, especially on the higher difficulties, but he isn't actually stronger in the last fight then he is in your first one, except now you have three spirit-vikings to kill it with you.
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

More like a final battle, but Fallout New Vegas' Battle of Hoover Dam as NCR. At Level 17 (and a noncombat build), the hardest part was figuring out where the quest markers were pointing. And Legate Lanius is no pushover, but he can literally be talked down.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

How about the Dracoking from the original NES Dragon Warrior/Dragonquest?

If you accept his deal to join him and rule half the world, you don't have to fight him at all!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #14

Legate Lanius from Fallout New Vegas. Half the times I've played that game I've shot his head off before he can even do anything
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Fable 2 I think wins the easiest final boss. Considering it took one shot, and you didn’t even have to take the shot.

16. - Top - End - #16

The Creator in Final Fantasy Legend (an RPG for the Classic GameBoy). But only because he's not immune to instant kills.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Take that with a potential grain of salt, because the last time I played it I was 10.
    I recall the battle through the palace of Galdyr(?) near the end of the game being really hard myself, so it's not just you.

I remember a lot of animated armour suit type of things that were collectively immune to some damage types and had a death effect on attack for one type.

The catacombs of the unknown and the tree of eleh could be tricky as well as I recall.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

18. - Top - End - #18

How about the Dracoking from the original NES Dragon Warrior/Dragonquest?

If you accept his deal to join him and rule half the world, you don't have to fight him at all!
    Speaking of which, Breath of Fire IV, if you join with the baddie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Isocahedron View Post
    More like a final battle, but Fallout New Vegas' Battle of Hoover Dam as NCR. At Level 17 (and a noncombat build), the hardest part was figuring out where the quest markers were pointing. And Legate Lanius is no pushover, but he can literally be talked down.
    Did you have assistance from other factions?(I assume because if your a non-combatant you must be doing something with your stats.) Also, even if you talk him down, his dialogue tree is just so cool. My personal favorite line, is when he threatens to crucify me on the dam, so I may watch my world burn. Brilliant.
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

20. - Top - End - #20

I've usually taken him down before he starts talking. I don't think I've ever spoken to him or to Caesar in any of my playthroughs (and really why would you?)

EDIT:
    Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever even not shot Alerio

EDIT:

Come to think of it, another thing about Lanius is that the fight with him is kind of pointless. By the time you face him his side has already lost. Caesar is dead, Vulpes Inculta is dead, Salt-Upon-Wounds is dead, the Legion's base in in ruins, and the Legion's territories have been nuked.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-04-16 at 04:53 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Vulpes Inculta is dead

You monster.
    Columnated ruins domino

22. - Top - End - #22

I was thinking about it... a lot of the Mario and Mega Man bosses stick out as being pretty easy. Mario in particular.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Come to think of it, another thing about Lanius is that the fight with him is kind of pointless. By the time you face him his side has already lost. Caesar is dead, Vulpes Inculta is dead, Salt-Upon-Wounds is dead, the Legion's base in in ruins, and the Legion's territories have been nuked.
    Removing Lanius removes the Legion as a threat in the future. Remember, they've been tossed back once and came back with all of this.

I will say, while Lanius can get taken out easily, if you gotta fight him straight up, he sucks to fight.

I will agree with Diantha. She's probably the worst Champ in all of Pokemon as the rest of her E4 is more of a challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post

You monster.
    I mean the way I play, Vulpes Inculta dies in Nipton.

It's Alerio who dies in the context of of literally shooting the messenger.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-04-16 at 08:08 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

25. - Top - End - #25

I mean the way I play, Vulpes Inculta dies in Nipton.

It's Alerio who dies in the context of of literally shooting the messenger.
    But why would you kill Vulpes tho? He's so cute.
    Columnated ruins domino

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    But why would you kill Vulpes tho? He's so cute.
    Being cute and genocidal carries very little weight with me.
    The Cranky Gamer

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Mammon, the final boss of Quest 64. Not necessarily because he specifically is easy, but because that game on the whole is stupidly easy to break. Just learn some Earth magic until you pick up the Barrier and Avalanche spells, and some water magic for Healing and Magic Drain, and you basically can't lose. Barrier makes you invincible for three turns and can be re-cast to refresh its duration, Avalanche does ridiculous damage to any enemies that are physically large enough to be hit by many of the boulders it summons (and Mammon is by far the largest enemy in the game), Magic Drain makes sure you never run out of MP, and Healing is there just for insurance in case something goes wrong but shouldn't actually be needed as long as you keep that Barrier up. And the crazy thing is, you can easily learn all of those except Magic Drain easily before fighting the game's second major boss.

Hm, trying to think of an example where it's the boss, not the game, that's easy... ah, okay: Gannon, from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Once you know what to do, he's one of the easiest bosses in the game: stun him with a light arrow, circle around back to do as much damage to his tail as you can before the stun wears off, rinse/repeat until you win. Which is basically the same thing you do against the very first boss in the game, just using light arrows instead of the slingshot and needing to walk around him to his tail rather than getting to attack from the front. The only potential problem is that you might run out of magic, and that's not an issue if you just packed green or blue potions.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Fable 2 I think wins the easiest final boss. Considering it took one shot, and you didn’t even have to take the shot.
    Fable 2 is indeed the pinnacle of this. Never mind that he takes only one shot to kill. It's the fact that he can be killed by an NPC who got bored because you spent too long waiting for him to finish his villainous monologue that really secures the trophy.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

29. - Top - End - #29

Being cute and genocidal carries very little weight with me.
    Vulpes isn't genocidal! He left Oliver Swanick alive!

You know the only people he *breaths heavily* lashes to crosses are *sweats profusely* degenerates who keep *collapses onto feinting couch* misbehaving...
    Columnated ruins domino

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    I'll put in Pokemon X and Y's battle with the Champion, Diantha. No final boss in the Pokemon games is necessarily hard (with a few rare exceptions), but the Champions at least tend to make you battle a lot more carefully than normal, with more complex strategies and wider type variety to counter. Diantha... I can't even remember her team, it was that unmemorable. I don't think any of her mons got past a single turn before I one-shotted them. This is probably partially to blame on X/Y being very generous with experience, so I got by with raw power... but Sun/Moon has the same mechanics, and I consider Kukui from those games to be one of if not the hardest champion in the series.

I dunno. I'd be interested to see if anyone else had any more positive thoughts on Diantha.
    Emerald's champ, Wallace is worse.
    Pure Water-type trainer in a game where you will have a counter because of Team Aqua and all the water roads.
    Diantha at least has some diversity in her line up.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")