New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Question 3.5: How to become immune to flat-footedness?

Greetings, all!

How to become immune to flat-footedness? (For purposes of this thread, keeping your DEX bonus to AC while flat-footed isn't enough.) I know foresight works, Dire Tortoise form seemingly works, the Scout's Uncanny Dodge works (and since it references the Barbarian's Uncanny Dodge which is the general Uncanny Dodge ability, that likely also works), and I heard there were other ways. What say you?

Thankee!
    Last edited by Endarire; 2020-05-02 at 05:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5: How to become immune to flat-footedness?

This is the first google search result for "3.5 immune to flat footed" and I think it should cover everything you need:
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-Footed-Immune

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Detect hostile intent makes you immune to flat-footed, but only against enemies who aren't immune to mind-affecting. You can get it continuously from an amulet of peace for 17,000 gp (see Secrets of Sarlona, page 139).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

The feat Mark of Stars, found in Dragonmarked pg 142

"You are never surprised or f lat-footed. In addition, you gain a +2 insight bonus to AC and on Reflex saves"
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

Grod's Law of game design: "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
    The feat Mark of Stars, found in Dragonmarked pg 142

"You are never surprised or f lat-footed. In addition, you gain a +2 insight bonus to AC and on Reflex saves"
    This does require a siberys dragonmark, which to the best of my knowledge can only be obtained from 2+ levels in Heir of Siberys.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    This does require a siberys dragonmark, which to the best of my knowledge can only be obtained from 2+ levels in Heir of Siberys.
    I was curious about that. I'm not nearly as familiar with Eberron as I'd like to be, and I was confused about how to get such a dragonmark, since I couldn't find any feats that do it.

There are a lot of good dragonmarked feats, but the regular dragonmarks are bleh for anyone with spellcasting (and most PCs in general), because they all grant a tiny number of uses of a couple of very low level spells, most of which aren't very useful even for that. Maybe the Siberys ones would be more useful?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2020-05-02 at 09:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Yes, Heir of Siberys is the only RAW mechanical PC-choice way to get a Siberys dragonmark. Dragonmarks are one of those things that are tied in fairly closely with the lore and fluff of Eberron, much like the dragonshards are. So there are potential fluff/lore ways for a person to have one, but Heir of Siberys is the only method I'm aware of for a PC to decide to get one.

The Siberys marks are indeed much more powerful than the Least, Lesser, and Greater marks, with most of them providing the equivalent to a 7th or 8th level spell, typically 1/day, but they're much harder for a PC to acquire, so aren't as often worth it.
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

Grod's Law of game design: "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    I was curious about that. I'm not nearly as familiar with Eberron as I'd like to be, and I was confused about how to get such a dragonmark, since I couldn't find any feats that do it.

There are a lot of good dragonmarked feats, but the regular dragonmarks are bleh for anyone with spellcasting (and most PCs in general), because they all grant a tiny number of uses of a couple of very low level spells, most of which aren't very useful even for that. Maybe the Siberys ones would be more useful?
    Regular dragonmarks are better for casters than you might think if you're not well-versed with the material. They can unlock some pretty powerful dragonmark spells, including summon marked homunculus, marked pulse, dragonmark demesne, and spell haven, all of which are only castable if you have a dragonmark.

They're also de facto list expansion. Getting dimension leap, dimension door, and overland flight is not too shabby if your class doesn't already have them, for example.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2020-05-02 at 09:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ye Olde combat reflexes feat allows you to take AoOs while flat-footed, if that's why you're not interested in means of keeping your Dex to AC while flat-flooted.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree that certain Dragonmark feats are worthwhile, especially Mark of Stars and Mark of the Dauntless if your build is setup for them.

However, back to the topic of being flat-footed immune!

Thankee!
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!