New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Getting Back Into 4E

Can you balance an offiical module for 2 or 3 players by having them be a higher level than they would normally be? Also isn't the default party size for 4th ed 5 not 4?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Can you balance an offiical module for 2 or 3 players by having them be a higher level than they would normally be?
    Well, yes and no. A larger group has a much better variety of abilities to deal with noncombat situations and changing tactical needs in combat. Unless you step several levels up (with equipment to match!), the PCs' damage output is low -- adding 15% accuracy doesn't make up for losing 40% of your team. And since damage taken tends to be much lower too, you're back to the MM1 problem of combats feeling draggy. XP gain is basically fine, though.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Can you balance an offiical module for 2 or 3 players by having them be a higher level than they would normally be? Also isn't the default party size for 4th ed 5 not 4?
    I'd say the answer is not really. I don't think the numbers work - or at least don't lead to interesting game play. (the primary benefits of leveling up will come in the form of PCs having higher attack rolls and defenses than the monster math expect. And having a combat where the PCs erode enemies who they hit 80% of the time and are hit 20% of the time isn't very compelling gameplay in my book). The DMG strongly recommends avoiding monstres outside a range of level-4 and level+4 (and even that is pushing it) for a reason.

For a lot of the official modules though, you can reduce the number of enemies - solo fights might take more tinkering but you can replace a solo with a comparably leveled Elite and it should functoin alright. (my game now is for one player running 3 PCs - building encounters at level 1 was a little tricky, but since then it has worked well).