New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 34 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 5. If your question is not about the RAW for 5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
    How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
    What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
    Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
    Q.1. Are there any Large player races?
    Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
    Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
    Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Q1

The Use an Object action says "When an object requires your action for its use, you take the Use an Object action."

Many alchemical or throwable items, like Alchemist's Fire, Acid, and Holy Water, say "As an action, you can throw this flask up to 20 feet" or otherwise specify that you can use them as an action.

The Combat section also notes "You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action."

Does this mean that any character can attack with Alchemist's Fire, Acid, Holy Water or something with similar verbiage that they have in hand for 'free' on their turn?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Q1
    Does this mean that any character can attack with Alchemist's Fire, Acid, Holy Water or something with similar verbiage that they have in hand for 'free' on their turn?
    A1
    "Some magic items and other special objects always require an action to use, as stated in their description."

It means the exact opposite.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q1. I was reading about a multi class Palladin/Sorc where the character was using the Sorc spell slots to power smites. If that is allowable could a character also use up a spell slot(s) from a Ring of Spell Storing to power a Smite ?

5. - Top - End - #5

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Kracky View Post
    Q2. I was reading about a multi class Palladin/Sorc where the character was using the Sorc spell slots to power smites. If that is allowable could a character also use up a spell slot(s) from a Ring of Spell Storing to power a Smite ?
    A2 On the ring: No as the ring doesn't have slots. The ring allows up to 5 levels of spells to be stored. At most, it will have the capacity to store spells or have spells stored into it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A2 clarification:

A paladin/sorcerer multiclass isn't using sorcerer spell slots, because she doesn't have sorcerer spell slots, nor does she have paladin spell slots. She has multiclass spell slots, which depend on her sorcerer level plus half of her paladin level. There's no way to separate out which slots come from which class.

A paladin/warlock multiclass does have separate spell slots from her two classes, because warlocks work differently. But it still doesn't matter, because Smite just requires spell slots, and doesn't say anything about where they come from.

Some warlocks have a similar smiting ability called Eldritch Smite. There, it does matter, because the description of the ability specifically says that the slots used must be warlock slots.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Q3

Is it correct that only attack rolls automatically succeed on a natural 20* and automatically fail on a natural 1?

*and are critical hits obviously but that wouldn't apply to other checks anyway

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Q3 Is it correct that only attack rolls automatically succeed on a natural 20* and automatically fail on a natural 1?
    Yes, this is correct.

*and are critical hits obviously but that wouldn't apply to other checks anyway
    Highlighting mine. Note that attack rolls are not ability checks.

For example, when the hex spell imposes disadvantage on ability checks, this does not apply to attack rolls.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Great, thanks.

Q4

Rope of Climbing: is there any reason not to use your action to animate it, then leave it in that state as you carry it around? The idea is that this would save you from spending an action to use it in future, and could just use your bonus actions to command it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 5

Does advantage on attack rolls (from a Ranger against an enemy who hasn't acted) extend to ability checks you make in place of an attack, specifically, the Strength (Athletics) checks to shove someone?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

A 4:
    No drawback to doing so is listed in the entry for the item. I suppose that, while animated, it might be continually squirming in place, or the like, which might be awkward in some situations, but even that is speculation, and still leaves plenty of time for it to be animated in advance of when one would want to use it.

A 5:
    An ability check is not an attack roll, even if it's for an option which takes the place of an attack. By the same token, you would get advantage from things that help checks but not attack rolls, such as the Enhance Ability spell.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Q6: If I cast control water to create a vortex and then start to move away, can I maintain concentration once I moved more than the spell's range of 300 feet away from the vortex?
    Last edited by Yora; 2020-05-08 at 11:49 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Q6: If I cast control water to create a vortex and then start to move away, can I maintain concentration once I moved more than the spell's range of 300 feet away from the vortex?
    A6 Yes. Once a spell is cast, there's no restrictions about how far the caster can be from the effects unless the spell description specifically says so (like Mage Hand, which says the hand disappears if it's more than 30 feet from you.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

A 6:
    The range of a spell matters when you cast it. Unless the spell specifies otherwise, it doesn't matter after that.

Q 7:
    Concerning the bonus action spell rule: Is it possible to use a bonus action to cast a spell, and then use your action to ready to cast another (non-cantrip) spell? For instance, a sorcerer casting a Quickened Fireball, and then readying an action to cast another Fireball as soon as anyone else does anything. I ask because the bonus action spell rule only applies to spells cast that turn, not to spells cast during some other creature's turn using your reaction.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Q 7:
    Concerning the bonus action spell rule: Is it possible to use a bonus action to cast a spell, and then use your action to ready to cast another (non-cantrip) spell? For instance, a sorcerer casting a Quickened Fireball, and then readying an action to cast another Fireball as soon as anyone else does anything. I ask because the bonus action spell rule only applies to spells cast that turn, not to spells cast during some other creature's turn using your reaction.
    A 7 The description of the ready action says: "When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs." When you ready a spell you are casting the spell on your turn, so that would be breaking the bonus action spell rule.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

OK, good, I figured that was too easy of a workaround.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Q8: Does nondetection prevent see invisiblity from seeing an invisible creature?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

18. - Top - End - #18

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Q8: Does nondetection prevent see invisiblity from seeing an invisible creature?
    A8: Yes it does since Invisibility is a Divination spell.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Q9

Is there a general rule about how to handle fractions (e.g. from resistance or successful saving throws) in terms of when to round up or down, and if so where can I find it?
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2020-05-09 at 03:54 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Q9

Is there a general rule about how to handle fractions (from resistance or successful saving throws) in terms of when to round up or down, and if so where can I find it?
    A9 Player's Handbook, page 7:
    There’s one more general rule you need to know at the outset. Whenever you divide a number in the game, round down if you end up with a fraction, even if the fraction is one-half or greater.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q10 Q534 I cast sanctuary. It says if I cast a spell that effects an enemy creature, then santuary drops.
    I cast spirit guardians but not near an enemy. Have I still 'casted a spell that effects an enemy creature'?

22. - Top - End - #22

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q10 Q534 I cast sanctuary. It says if I cast a spell that effects an enemy creature, then santuary drops.
    I cast spirit guardians but not near an enemy. Have I still 'casted a spell that effects an enemy creature'?
    A10: If you cast it on yourself, then cast Spirit Guardians away from an enemy, then no you have not, "cast a spell that effects an enemy". The key there is the Present Tense of "effects," not "can effect."

p.s. Thanks for jumping over here to the new thread.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q11 I move in and attack the priest with my new dagger. I fail my sanctuary save. Can I cast scorching ray at another enemy or does it have to be the same kind of attack that's re-directed? Can I dodge instead?

24. - Top - End - #24

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q11 I move in and attack the priest with my new dagger. I fail my sanctuary save. Can I cast scorching ray at another enemy or does it have to be the same kind of attack that's re-directed? Can I dodge instead?
    A11: At the onset of your question (process) you've decided to take either the Attack or Cast a Spell action. Sanctuary creates an interrupt forcing you to make a Wisdon saving throw. If you fail that save you must re-direct the interrupted action by choosing a new target or lose the action. The spell doesn't give you any other options.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q12 If you are playing a ''sunlight sensitive'' character. Is that character ''messed up'' whilst underground if someone is carrying a magic weapon that sheds ''bright light'' ?
    Last edited by Kracky; 2020-05-11 at 03:30 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

A12

It will depend upon the specific wording of each ability. For example, the Drow Sunlight Sensitivity trait says the penalty applies "in direct sunlight". Most sources of light aren't sunlight, direct or otherwise. Some rare abilities are sunlight, though. The Sunbeam spell, for example, creates a mote of light in your hand that sheds light that is sunlight. (The beams of light it produces that you attack with are not sunlight.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

A12

It will depend upon the specific wording of each ability. For example, the Drow Sunlight Sensitivity trait says the penalty applies "in direct sunlight". Most sources of light aren't sunlight, direct or otherwise. Some rare abilities are sunlight, though. The Sunbeam spell, for example, creates a mote of light in your hand that sheds light that is sunlight. (The beams of light it produces that you attack with are not sunlight.)
    Ok thanks that kinda answers my question. Just one more point to be a little more specific. What about the light shed by a Sunblade. Would that count as being in ''direct Sunlight'' ?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The Sun Blade in the SRD says it sheds "bright light", not sunlight.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Q13

Am I right in thinking that the specific magic weapons in the DMG that don't mention such bonuses, like the Frost Brand and the Flame Tongue, can't be found with magical bonuses to attack and damage rolls?

I know that some specific weapons, like the Dragon Slayer, specify a magical bonus. Similarly, I assume it's correct that such items aren't found with different bonuses than those in their entry?

30. - Top - End - #30

GnomeWizardGuy

Q13

Am I right in thinking that the specific magic weapons in the DMG that don't mention such bonuses, like the Frost Brand and the Flame Tongue, can't be found with magical bonuses to attack and damage rolls?

I know that some specific weapons, like the Dragon Slayer, specify a magical bonus. Similarly, I assume it's correct that such items aren't found with different bonuses than those in their entry?
    A13 You are somewhat correct. In a game with only items specifically specified by the DMG, those items appear with no +1 or other bonuses like that. They still qualify as magical weapons for the purpose of overcoming resistance to non-magical attacks, but do not have a bonus to attack/damage like +1, +2, etc have, nor how some other magic items DO have such.

That said, it's completely within a DM's abilities to make such items that have other bonuses as well. The DMG has sections on creating magic items, and they often involve mixing effects of other items to make something more powerful. So a DM could certainly drop an "enhanced" one and it's still not-quite-homebrew. It's a grey area. I would still call it RAW, just not allowed in some settings (like Adventurer's League).