New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Q84

If a monster had resistance or immunity to damage from nonmagical weapons does that include damage from spells cast on the wielder that don't affect the weapon directly, like divine favor, or from abilitties like divine smite?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Q84

If a monster had resistance or immunity to damage from nonmagical weapons does that include damage from spells cast on the wielder that don't affect the weapon directly, like divine favor, or from abilitties like divine smite?
    A84

I don't believe any monster has blanket resistance or immunity to damage from nonmagical weapons. I believe they all say "bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical attacks" (emphasis mine).

Divine favor and Divine Smite do not make the attack magical. They deal additional damage that is radiant. That has no effect on the base weapon damage and its resistibility, but the additional damage is radiant and not bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing.

Powers &8^]

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Re 84
    Suppose in the case of a weapon that has been enlargeed? Is that 'magical' b/p/s damage?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Re 84
    Suppose in the case of a weapon that has been enlargeed? Is that 'magical' b/p/s damage?
    R84

I don't believe so. Being affected by magic does not make an item magical as far as I can see. A DM could rule otherwise, though.

Powers &8^]

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q85
    a What is the creature with the lowest CR that can cast Detect Magic at will?
    b What is the creature with the lowest CR that can cast Detect Magic at all?
    c Can creatures use ritual casting if they have spellcasting from a class that grants that feature?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q86

Can you choose not not use certain defenses at the time of an attack.

Ex.

I want to use hellish rebuke or armor of agathys or whatever and I am holding a shield. Can I choose to not add the bonus from the shield to my ac?

Or

If I have THP do I have to use them or can I choose to take the damage myself?

Or

Can I choose not to use arcane ward’s HP and instead take it myself to save the ho of the ward?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

A 85 b:

Both the Acolyte and the Apprentice Mage are CR 1/4, and you can't get much lower than that. Neither is listed as typically preparing Detect Magic, but both cast as prepared casters, from class spell lists that include that spell, so either could prepare it if they chose.

Also CR 1/4 is the specific individual Volothamp Geddarm, who also casts as a 1st-level wizard, and is explicitly listed as typically preparing Detect Magic.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

A 86 partial:

According to pg. 198 of the PHB, "When you have temporary hit points and take damage, the temporary hit points are lost first, and any leftover damage carries over to your normal hit points.". No option is given: The temp HP are lost first.

Similarly, from page 115, "Whenever you take damage, the ward takes the damage instead.". Again, no option is given.

I don't know the answer for shields, but I think that there might be a rule somewhere that you can simply choose to be hit by an attack, regardless of AC.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q85
    a What is the creature with the lowest CR that can cast Detect Magic at will?
    b What is the creature with the lowest CR that can cast Detect Magic at all?
    c Can creatures use ritual casting if they have spellcasting from a class that grants that feature?
    A85a: According to DDB it's Warlock of the Great Old One (VTtM) that's a CR6 creature.

A85c: No. The class feature that allows ritual casting specifically states spells of that class.

Example from Cleric (underline emphasis mine):
    Ritual Casting
    You can cast a cleric spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared.

10. - Top - End - #220

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    Q86

Can you choose not not use certain defenses at the time of an attack.

Ex.

I want to use hellish rebuke or armor of agathys or whatever and I am holding a shield. Can I choose to not add the bonus from the shield to my ac?

Or

If I have THP do I have to use them or can I choose to take the damage myself?

Or

Can I choose not to use arcane ward’s HP and instead take it myself to save the ho of the ward?

R86: To add to the reply from Chronos: The text of shield states, "Wielding a shield increases your Armor Class by 2," so a character could simply choose to not wield the shield and thereby lower their AC by 2.

The RAW state that an attack is made against a creatures AC, and as far as I could tell there's no allowance for a creature simply allowing themselves to be hit. So "check with your DM" is going to be the answer to that part of your question.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Re 85c:

Quoth E’Tallitnics:

No. The class feature that allows ritual casting specifically states spells of that class.
    I don't think this answers the question that No Brains was asking. An Acolyte, for instance, is a creature that casts spells like a 1st-level cleric. The question was not whether the Acolyte can (by any means) cast non-cleric spells; the question was whether an Acolyte could cast a cleric spell as a ritual, provided that it met the conditions. For instance, if an Acolyte prepares Detect Magic, could it then cast that spell without using a spell slot, by spending a longer time on it?

12. - Top - End - #222

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Re 85c:I don't think this answers the question that No Brains was asking. An Acolyte, for instance, is a creature that casts spells like a 1st-level cleric. The question was not whether the Acolyte can (by any means) cast non-cleric spells; the question was whether an Acolyte could cast a cleric spell as a ritual, provided that it met the conditions. For instance, if an Acolyte prepares Detect Magic, could it then cast that spell without using a spell slot, by spending a longer time on it?
    R85c: Please keep in mind that this is a strict RAW thread. The MM contains 47 instances of "ritual" or "rituals" and none of them pertain to a creature's stat block. Therefore they cannot use ritual casting RAW. I apologize for not mentioning this in my original reply. I assumed that this was known, and therefore when No Brains mentioned "class" I figured that 85c was not connected to the first two part and this person has indeed asking about class features (which creatures in the MM don't have per se). Also note that if the DM elects to change a stat block of a creature (as in your example), such as in preparing a different spell than what's listed, it's no longer RAW.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q87: Are there any armours or shields that don't require (i.e. don't penalize) non-proficiency? My Divine Soul Sorceror needs better AC and I'd rather not multiclass if I can help it.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Q87: Are there any armours or shields that don't require (i.e. don't penalize) non-proficiency? My Divine Soul Sorceror needs better AC and I'd rather not multiclass if I can help it.
    A87

Yes. Elven chain does what you're looking for.

There are a number of other magic items and spells that can increase your AC, as well, but they are not armor or shields.

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2020-07-27 at 03:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Banned

Goblin

Q89

If a spell requiring concentration is cast into Ring of Spell Storing and then cast from it, does it still require concentration and from whom - ring's owner or original caster

16. - Top - End - #226

BarbarianGuy

Q89

If a spell requiring concentration is cast into Ring of Spell Storing and then cast from it, does it still require concentration and from whom - ring's owner or original caster
    A89:While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it. The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell attack bonus, and spellcasting ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if you cast the spell.”

So if the spell requires concentration it still does once cast, and the caster is the one doing the concentrating.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2020-07-28 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Formatting.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Q90

A rogue/battlemaster uses evasive maneuver to up their A.C..

Move 30ft, Action dash 30 ft, action surge dash 30ft and use a bonus action for cunning action BA to dash 30ft.

Do this warrior get the A.C. bonus for the entire 120ft?

18. - Top - End - #228

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    Q90

A rogue/battlemaster uses evasive maneuver to up their A.C..

Move 30ft, Action dash 30 ft, action surge dash 30ft and use a bonus action for cunning action BA to dash 30ft.

Do this warrior get the A.C. bonus for the entire 120ft?
    A90: You bet! With the caveat that “Evasive Footwork” grants the bonus to AC from your superiority die until you stop moving, not just for the amount of speed that you have that round.

Taking the Dash action just adds to the speed you have, and moving uses up that speed.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Banned

Goblin

Q91

What constitutes as "sunlight" for the purpose of Sunlight Sensitivity? In our last game, my players argued Sunlight in the description is used not to mean literally sunlight but a synonymous with bright light and that casting dancing lights or light cantrip right in front of Duegar with Sunlight Sensitivity should grant them a disadvantage. What is the official ruling on this?

20. - Top - End - #230

BarbarianGuy

Q91

What constitutes as "sunlight" for the purpose of Sunlight Sensitivity? In our last game, my players argued Sunlight in the description is used not to mean literally sunlight but a synonymous with bright light and that casting dancing lights or light cantrip right in front of Duegar with Sunlight Sensitivity should grant them a disadvantage. What is the official ruling on this?
    A91: Sunlight comes from the Sun (or Suns if your world has more than one), and it is the common use of that term.

Other sources in the game will specifically use ‘sunlight’ in their description as opposed to any other terminology for a source of illumination.

For reference you and your group should read the descriptions of the spells “Dawn” and “Sunlight” to see the difference.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Q 92:

Speaking of the battlemaster's Evasive Maneuver, when are they considered to have "stopped moving"? If I move 15' to an enemy, attack it once, and then move 15' more, can I make that attack while moving? What if I attack the same enemy twice? Is it just on my turn, as long as I have movement remaining? Or does it maybe even apply for multiple turns, given that everyone is assumed to all be moving at once?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Q93 Do exhaustion levels 2, speed halved, and 5, speed is 0, affect travel pace?

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    Q93 Do exhaustion levels 2, speed halved, and 5, speed is 0, affect travel pace?
    A93

Strictly speaking, the rules are silent on this specific scenario. But the PHB explains how to adjust overland travel times for difficult terrain, and the DMG makes clear that faster modes of transportation can travel at faster speeds overland. It may not be explicit in the rules, but I think the clear implication is that effects that change your speed do affect overland travel pace.

Powers &8^]

24. - Top - End - #234

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Q 92:

Speaking of the battlemaster's Evasive Maneuver, when are they considered to have "stopped moving"? If I move 15' to an enemy, attack it once, and then move 15' more, can I make that attack while moving? What if I attack the same enemy twice? Is it just on my turn, as long as I have movement remaining? Or does it maybe even apply for multiple turns, given that everyone is assumed to all be moving at once?
    A92: “On your turn, you can move a distance up to your speed and take one action. You decide whether to move first or take your action first. Your speed--sometimes called your walking speed--is noted on your character sheet.”

Since attacking is an action the quoted rule as written above indicates that you’re no longer moving.

25. - Top - End - #235

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    R93: They do, for the creature affected by exhaustion. That creature either needs to remove the exhaustion to remove the affect or find another mode of transportation.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q94 can a monk benefit from Mage Armor?

27. - Top - End - #237

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    A94: Yes, but remember that any game mechanic that calculates an AC won’t stack. So Mage Armor and Unarmored Defense don’t stack. You choose which calculation to use.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Q83 can a barbarian benefit from Mage armor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    A83 Yes, if their Constitution modifier is less than 3, making it so 13 + Dex > 10 + Dex + Con.
    Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A94: Yes, but remember that any game mechanic that calculates an AC won’t stack. So Mage Armor and Unarmored Defense don’t stack. You choose which calculation to use.
    Yes, it is the same principle.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q95
    I just leveled up to rogue 4. I had expertise in thieves tools and sleight of hand. I took the quick fingers feat. At level 4, the UA allows you to swap one skill and learn another. Can I move my skill in sleight of hand to another skill, use quick fingers to gain proficiency in sleight of hand again, thereby maintaining expertise, for a net gain of a new skill?

30. - Top - End - #240

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Q95
    I just leveled up to rogue 4. I had expertise in thieves tools and sleight of hand. I took the quick fingers feat. At level 4, the UA allows you to swap one skill and learn another. Can I move my skill in sleight of hand to another skill, use quick fingers to gain proficiency in sleight of hand again, thereby maintaining expertise, for a net gain of a new skill?
    R95: Where do you see in “UA – Skill Feats” that you can replace a skill?