New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Q104

If I cast the Symbol spell in a demiplane I created with the Demiplane spell, will it still be there when I return next time? In other words: does the demiplane stay in the same place? What about if I cast Symbol on the door created by the Demiplane spell instead?
    Last edited by Reynaerde; 2020-08-21 at 06:36 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynaerde View Post
    Q104

If I cast the Symbol spell in a demiplane I created with the Demiplane spell, will it still be there when I return next time? In other words: does the demiplane stay in the same place? What about if I cast Symbol on the door created by the Demiplane spell instead?
    Yes the symbol and anything else you put in the demiplane will still be there if when you cast demiplane again you choose to to go to the same demiplane.

I don't believe you can cast it on the door, or if you did it would vanish after an hour. Not totally sure about that.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q105

Echo Knight:

"Manifest Echo
    At 3rd level, you can use a bonus action to magically manifest an echo of yourself in an unoccupied space you can see within 15 feet of you. This echo is a magical, translucent, gray image of you that lasts until it is destroyed, until you dismiss it as a bonus action, until you manifest another echo, or until you're incapacitated.

Your echo has AC 14 + your proficiency bonus, 1 hit point, and immunity to all conditions. If it has to make a saving throw, it uses your saving throw bonus for the roll. It is the same size as you, and it occupies its space. On your turn, you can mentally command the echo to move up to 30 feet in any direction (no action required). If your echo is ever more than 30 feet from you at the end of your turn, it is destroyed.

As a bonus action, you can teleport, magically swapping places with your echo at a cost of 15 feet of your movement, regardless of the distance between the two of you.
    When you take the Attack action on your turn, any attack you make with that action can originate from your space or the echo's space. You make this choice for each attack.
    When a creature that you can see within 5 feet of your echo moves at least 5 feet away from it, you can use your reaction to make an opportunity attack against that creature as if you were in the echo's space."

A: Does the Echo count as an enemy of the target to grant Sneak Attack or Flanking?

B: Does the Echo occupy a space so that an enemy cannot move through it?

C: If you have a reach weapon (glaive), can the Echo attack an enemy 10' from it?

D: If you have PAM or Sentinel, does your Echo benefit from those feats for Opp Att?

E: If you use a BA to attack, can the attack originate from the Echo?

F: If you cast Booming Blade, can the weapon attack originate from your Echo?

G: Is the Echo a "creature," an "object," an "illusion," or something else?
    Last edited by da newt; 2020-08-21 at 04:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

105 A: Presumably; it's certainly not an ally of them.

B: From the second paragraph, "It is the same size as you, and it occupies its space".

C: It's still an attack you're making; all that's changing is the space it originates from. So all other rules for the attack, including reach, would remain the same.

D: The feature spells out the conditions under which you can make an opportunity attack with it: When a creature within 5' of the echo moves 5' away from it. Note that this does not even match the rules for a normal opportunity attack, since it's independent of reach. It doesn't say you can use Polearm Master to make an opportunity attack, so you can't. Sentinel never lets you make an opportunity attack when you otherwise couldn't (it sometimes allows you to attack as a reaction, but that attack is not an opportunity attack), and that reaction attack it grants is likewise not available to your echo. However, Sentinel also gives an additional benefit when making opportunity attacks (reducing the target's speed to 0), and that would apply to opportunity attacks made via the echo.

E, F: You can only make an attack originate from the echo when you are using the Attack action. Neither a bonus action attack nor the Booming Blade spell uses the Attack action.

G: It's never specified to be any of those, but it has stats as if it's a creature. It might also be an illusion: There's no rule that specifies that something can't be both a creature and an illusion.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q106

If I cast Polymorph on myself, I take on the ability scores of the form I take. Do I keep saving throw proficiencies or use those of the new form as well?
    Last edited by Emongnome777; 2020-08-29 at 07:26 AM.
    Emongnome

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Q105
    G: Is the Echo a "creature," an "object," an "illusion," or something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    105 A:
    G: It's never specified to be any of those, but it has stats as if it's a creature. It might also be an illusion: There's no rule that specifies that something can't be both a creature and an illusion.
    R105-G For what it is worth, Jeremy Crawford has ruled that the echo is an object.

Note that having hit points, an armor class and immunities is nothing new for an object, as seen in the PHB page 185.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, the reasoning there is "It isn't a creature, so therefore it's an object", but one could just as easily rule "It isn't an object, so therefore it's a creature".

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 107
    Can I use action surge before I do anything else during my turn? Or do I have to take my action before using action surge? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Corran; 2020-08-25 at 09:33 AM.
    Hacks!

9. - Top - End - #279
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Q 107

Can I use action surge before I do anything else during my turn? Or do I have to take my action before using action surge? Thanks in advance.

A107

The effect of action surge is to let you take an aditional action on your turn. If the first thing you do on your turn is attack or something similar, that wil take your normal action. If you then decide to take another action you will have to spend your action surge to do so.

Using your action surge first doesn't really make sense, given that it is identical to using your normal action first.
    Last edited by Xiander; 2020-08-26 at 03:52 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    R105-G For what it is worth, Jeremy Crawford has ruled that the echo is an object.

Note that having hit points, an armor class and immunities is nothing new for an object, as seen in the PHB page 185.
    The wildemounte book refers to it as an "image"

11. - Top - End - #281
    Pixie in the Playground

Q108

If a Warlock is able to use shields (Hexblade or Moderately Armored feat), is there a reason they wouldn't be able to have their arcane focus attached to their shield? Assuming they can, would that satisfy the Material requirement of casting a spell without needing a "free hand"?

And if the answer to that is also yes, would they be able to use that same hand for the Somatic requirements? In the Material section, the PHB says:

A spellcaster must have a hand free to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

A108
    If a Warlock is able to use shields (Hexblade or Moderately Armored feat), is there a reason they wouldn't be able to have their arcane focus attached to their shield? Assuming they can, would that satisfy the Material requirement of casting a spell without needing a "free hand"?
    The PHB says that a holy symbol can be used when it is borne on a shield, but makes no such statement for an arcane focus. This can be interpreted as meaning that only holy symbols offer this option.

Also of note is the Ruby of the War Mage in XGtE. You would think that integrating a crystal to a dagger would allow it to be used as an arcane focus, but that apparently requires a special crystal that you have to attune to.

And if the answer to that is also yes, would they be able to use that same hand for the Somatic requirements?
    If and only if the spell requires both M and S components. See the Sage Advice Compendium: "What’s the amount of interaction needed to use a spellcasting focus?"
    Last edited by Millstone85; 2020-08-26 at 08:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q109. What if my fighter wants to attack by throwing his 2handed maul...what does that look like regarding attack bonus, damage, range...

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

A109: Unfortunately, since the maul does not have the Thrown property, it counts as an improvised weapon when thrown. Improvised weapons have a 1d4 hit die. So you would make the attack roll you normally make, but you would only deal 1d4+Str for damage.
    A student by vocation, a D&Der by avocation (a wizard by evocation).

Order of the Stick Trivia XXIII: 50% More Entertaining than Speculating About MitD!

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

109 slight correction:
    Improvised weapons do 1d4 damage if they don't resemble some other weapon enough to get that weapon's damage die instead.

That said, it doesn't matter in this case, because there's no thrown weapon that bears any particular resemblance to a maul.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Re 109
    Well, there's the light hammer, but its damage is 1d4 even if that flies...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

17. - Top - End - #287

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantiumBhuka View Post
    A109: Unfortunately, since the maul does not have the Thrown property, it counts as an improvised weapon when thrown. Improvised weapons have a 1d4 hit die. So you would make the attack roll you normally make, but you would only deal 1d4+Str for damage.
    R109: The section labeled "Improvised Weapons" (PHB p.148) states that, when a melee weapon without the Thrown property is used to make a ranged weapon attack, its damage die becomes a d4. That might not mean that it counts as an improvised weapon, but if it does, the attacker would only add his proficiency bonus to the attack roll if he were proficient with improvised weapons. Either way, he would add his Dexterity modifier, not his Strength, to the attack and damage rolls.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

This one is I think just simple enough maybe to not need its own thread.

Q110: Does the war caster feat actually help you cast spells while holding weapons, or is it already possible to use spells with somatic components without getting caught without your weapon ready if you don't have the feat?

This is the feat:
    You have practiced casting spells in the midst of combat, learning techniques that grant you the following benefits:
    You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
    You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
    When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.
    So let's say you don't have the feat, you want to cast while holding two weapons or one weapon and a shield and you're using a spell with a somatic component but not a material one. You can drop your weapon (free), cast and then pick up your weapon again (your one free interaction with an object as part of your movement). It's cheesy, but seems RAW legal. If you're using a two handed weapon you can even do it without much cheese at all, since it doesn't seem like a stretch that you can let go of your weapon with one hand and put it back on after casting, where the putting back costs you your interaction with an object. Now in both of those cases you run into trouble if you have to use a material component, because now you need your interaction with an object to use your component pouch or focus. But the war caster feat specifically only works on somatic components, not material ones, so how does not needing to let your weapon go for a moment to use somatic components actually improve this situation? Both with and without the feat it feels like you can cast spells with somatic components but can't cast spells with material components without ever being caught without your weapon ready.

(The other two benefits of the feat are clear, and both very useful on at least some builds, but I feel like I'm missing something on the one about somatic components.)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2020-08-29 at 05:53 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q111: Does a Yuan Ti Moon Druid retain her immunity to poison and magic resistance when Wild Shaped?

I assume yes, but have read no.

What's the RAW?
    Last edited by Erys; 2020-08-29 at 07:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

20. - Top - End - #290

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    Q111: Does a Yuan Ti Moon Druid retain her immunity to poison and magic resistance when Wild Shaped?

I assume yes, but have read no.

What's the RAW?
    A111: The section on Wild Shape in the PHB that's related to racial features reads thus:
    You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.
    IMO, the RAW is quite clear. The immunity to poison and magic resistance are racial features, and not senses by any reasonable measure. Thus they would apply.

Wild shape is much different than polymorph where the same may not be said.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q112 Can my monk 'chain stun'? My opponent is stunned until the end of my next turn. So, on the following round, just before my turn is over, can I try to stun him while he's already stunned, extending the stun time another round?

22. - Top - End - #292

AssassinGuy

Q113 If my character is under the influence of the Mind Blank spell, and thus immune to divination magic, can I still cast Detect Magic or other divination spells with range: self?

What if I wear an Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location?

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

A 112:

For that brief moment at the end of your turn, the enemy has two stun effects on them, which don't stack: Only the stronger one has any effect (though I don't think it matters, for stun, which one you consider "stronger"). But both stun effects are still in place, each with its own duration. Just after that, when your turn ends, the first stun ends, but the second one is still in effect.

In other words, yes, you can use repeated Stunning Fists to keep an enemy locked down for multiple rounds, as long as they keep failing saves and you have the ki to spend.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Q110: Does the war caster feat actually help you cast spells while holding weapons, or is it already possible to use spells with somatic components without getting caught without your weapon ready if you don't have the feat?
    A110: Yes.

The war caster feat does make it easier to cast spells while holding weapons, even though it's already possible to do it under certain circumstances.

In particular, it lets you do it without letting go of your weapon, which can be an issue in cases where an enemy has readied an action to pick it up, or in which the spell effect affects unattended items, or in which the spell causes you to move away from it.

And yes, someone wielding a two-handed weapon is normally considered to be able to free a hand for spellcasting as needed.

Powers &8^]

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Q114
    Point of origin for AoE (spells, breath weapons, etc) projected out from the caster. by RAW Is the point of origin taken from the edge of the token or the centre of the token?

26. - Top - End - #296

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Zhorn View Post
    Q114
    Point of origin for AoE (spells, breath weapons, etc) projected out from the caster. by RAW Is the point of origin taken from the edge of the token or the centre of the token?
    A114
    You, the caster, select the point of origin. That can be anywhere on your token, but it must be a single point.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Banned

Goblin

Q115

Does a creature entering the area under Alarm through means like Etheralness or teleport triggers the Alarm?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beezus View Post
    A114
    You, the caster, select the point of origin. That can be anywhere on your token, but it must be a single point.
    R114 rule page ref?

29. - Top - End - #299

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Q115

Does a creature entering the area under Alarm through means like Etheralness or teleport triggers the Alarm?
    A115: As the Alarm spell says "whenever a tiny or larger creature touches or enters the warded area" and does not say anything about "crossing" or "crossing into" I would say that yes, teleporting in or "appearing" in the area from the ethereal plane counts as entering it.

That said, if they were on the ethereal plane, they are NOT on your plane of existence, so until they are on YOUR plane, they do not trigger it until they "pop out" to normal-space, thus "entering" it.

30. - Top - End - #300

Griffon

R114
    PHB p.204: "A typical spell requires you to pick one or more targets[:] creatures, objects, or a point of origin", so the caster decides where the area originates. Later in the same section, the language is repeated: "You select a cube's point of origin", "You select a sphere's point of origin", etc. Further guidance for placing an AoE on a grid can be found on DMG p.251 and XGE p.86, where it appears the implicit suggestion is to pick a point on the edge of a token.